Your favorite castlevania game?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pspfanboy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pspfanboy6
Member since 2010 • 91 Posts

What is your favorite castlevania game? For me, it has to be either symphony of the night or Castlevania iv. I have to go with....SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT FTW!!

Altho castlevania iv was a classic, SOTN took the series to a whole new level and hasn't looked back since(except for that castlevania rebirth). BTW if anyone says their favorite game is the N64 version...then...well, you are entitled to your opinion...YOU HAVE BAD TASTE!! :P

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Dracula X : Nocturne in the Moonlight (SS).

Runner-ups:

• Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (PCE)
  • Vampire Killer (MD)
  • Akumajou Dracula (X68000)
  • Akumajou Dracula (MSX2)
Avatar image for deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
deactivated-5f5404ad8217e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts

Super Castlevania 4

Avatar image for child_of_lileth
child_of_lileth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 child_of_lileth
Member since 2007 • 4066 Posts

3. Chi no Rondo is probably a close second as far as the old-style ones go.

0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Of course it's SOTN for me. It was the one that got me in to Castlevania and I haven't played one since that I enjoyed more.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
I feel bad. The only one I've ever played was Castlevania 64...
archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

Probably Aria of Sorrow.

Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jordo321
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Runner-ups:

• Vampire Killer (MD)

What's the difference between Akumajou Dracula and Castlevania 3? Anyways, my vote goes to Bloodlines for nostalgic reasons. But Rondo of Blood takes a close second.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Runner-ups:

• Vampire Killer (MD)

Jordo321

What's the difference between Akumajou Dracula and Castlevania 3? Anyways, my vote goes to Bloodlines for nostalgic reasons. But Rondo of Blood takes a close second.

Akumajou Dracula is the original, while Akumajou Densetsu (aka Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse) is a later game in the series.

There are various versions of the original Akumajou Dracula but my favourites are the excellent Sharp X68000 remake and the MSX2 version which features more unique RPG oriented gameplay, similar to that of Nocturne in the Moonlight.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Super Castlevania 4!

TriggerGear
This^^^and Rondo of blood i can't decide
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22713 Posts

i love the 1st one on NES... after that theseries got played out...

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Super Castlevania IV was my favorite non-metroidvania game for sure. It had the best controls in my experience, and it was difficult without feeling like BS.

Symphony of the Night is a favorite as well. Dracula's Castle in this game was a blast to spelunk through. My only complaint is that this game is too easy.

I also have to mention Order of Ecclesia. It's my favorite Castlevania handheld game and I might even like it more than SotN...might.

Crotazoa8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Crotazoa8
Member since 2010 • 1230 Posts
I like Harmony Of Dissonance over the other ones.
kingmav222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 kingmav222
Member since 2004 • 493 Posts

Super Castlevania 4.

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts
Going with Super Castlevania IV.
Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts
I feel bad. The only one I've ever played was Castlevania 64...muthsera666
I feel really truely sorry for you thats almost as bad as being pooped on by a bird. That game is a catastrophe. Mine would be Rondo
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#18 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1728 Posts
Castlevania III, I'm a sucker for NES games and of the trilogy on it, this one pulled me in and never let go.
tequilero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#19 tequilero
Member since 2005 • 9333 Posts

The first Castlevania is the one I like more,then IV.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="muthsera666"]I feel bad. The only one I've ever played was Castlevania 64...Foulcry
I feel really truely sorry for you thats almost as bad as being pooped on by a bird. That game is a catastrophe. Mine would be Rondo

I didn't think the game was that bad...
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#21 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1728 Posts
[QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="muthsera666"]I feel bad. The only one I've ever played was Castlevania 64...muthsera666

Actually I agree, it wasn't that bad at all. I think it's really underrated and is an excellent Castlevania entry. Could've been better, it was different, but I really liked it.
Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#22 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts

Circle of the Moon (GBA) is my favorite. But, I haven't played too many Castlevania games to really judge how they all are in comparison

emilioacosta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 emilioacosta
Member since 2003 • 130 Posts

[QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="muthsera666"]I feel bad. The only one I've ever played was Castlevania 64...muthsera666

it wasnt, Castlevania 64/Legacy of Darkness is one of my favorites, the Nintendo 64 was the next-gen, although it dont age well, I played it and the story, ambient, and the characters, i loved it!, is not perfect because of the camera problems, but aside, is great

oh yes, and my favorite is Castlevania IV, great game!

anyone has high hopes on the new one? Lords of Shadow?

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

SOTN. There really is no contest.

faheem_s_i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 faheem_s_i
Member since 2006 • 346 Posts
My favourite is Circle of the Moon.I loved that game.
meteo_ryte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#26 meteo_ryte
Member since 2005 • 1962 Posts

I've only played a couple of the NES ones and SotN - and SotN is my fave out of those. Strangely enough, the MUSIC iswhati like most, asidefrom therpg element. Heck, i just might bust that out and start a new game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#27 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Super Castlevania IV or Symphony of the Night or Order of Ecclesia take it.
emilioacosta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 emilioacosta
Member since 2003 • 130 Posts

I've only played a couple of the NES ones and SotN - and SotN is my fave out of those. Strangely enough, the MUSIC iswhati like most, asidefrom therpg element. Heck, i just might bust that out and start a new game.

meteo_ryte

agree with you, the music rocks!

chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

It's a toss-up between Super Castlevania 4 and Symphony of the Night for me.

Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Scythes777
Member since 2006 • 2796 Posts

Super Castlevania 4 or Rondo of Blood. Recently played Rondo on the Wii VC and it was AWESOME!

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Panzer_Zwei

Recently played Rondo on the Wii VC and it was AWESOME!

Scythes777

Then imagine how it was back in 1993. This was one of the games that further convinced the Japanese developers (except the stubborn Nintendo) that CD-ROM was without a doubt the media of the future for game consoles.

Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Scythes777
Member since 2006 • 2796 Posts

[QUOTE="Scythes777"]

Recently played Rondo on the Wii VC and it was AWESOME!

Panzer_Zwei

Then imagine how it was back in 1993. This was one of the games that further convinced the Japanese developers (except the stubborn Nintendo) that CD-ROM was without a doubt the media of the future for game consoles.

I would have been blown away back in 93, the audio quality was especially good. But if Nintendo hadnt used cartridges for the N64, things just wouldnt be the same. I cant imagine playing my favorite N64 games with load times! but then the third party support wouldnt have taken a nose dive...Oh well, cant have both.

pestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 pestro
Member since 2010 • 139 Posts

What? I liked Legacy of Darkness... It wasn't the same as the old ones but I thought it was cool.

Favourite Castlevania game? Tough question... Based on the "wow"-factor I got when I first played it, I'd say Castlevania II Simon's Quest for NES. A lot of people seems to think that it's the black sheep in the series but I was completely blown away with it when I was a kid. It was the first Castlevania game I played and I loved the horror adventure exploration feel to the game. I spent my whole summer vacation playing that game non-stop :D

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Foulcry

What? I liked Legacy of Darkness... It wasn't the same as the old ones but I thought it was cool.

Favourite Castlevania game? Tough question... Based on the "wow"-factor I got when I first played it, I'd say Castlevania II Simon's Quest for NES. A lot of people seems to think that it's the black sheep in the series but I was completely blown away with it when I was a kid. It was the first Castlevania game I played and I loved the horror adventure exploration feel to the game. I spent my whole summer vacation playing that game non-stop :D

pestro
Your not serious right? Tell me your joking? There is a reason behind it being the black sheep. One because it was absolutely ruthless. The platforming was some of the worst stuff ever and not to mention the fact that I think I have mentioned before about this game the part where the only way to continue on after a certain part of the game was to do something completely out of context that no one that played this when they were younger had any clue how or what to do.(Get a crystal kneel in the corner of the area and wait for a tornado to pick you up like in Mario 3). You just gave me brain damage telling me you thought that was your favorite game.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="pestro"]

Foulcry

Your not serious right? Tell me your joking? There is a reason behind it being the black sheep. One because it was absolutely ruthless. The platforming was some of the worst stuff ever and not to mention the fact that I think I have mentioned before about this game the part where the only way to continue on after a certain part of the game was to do something completely out of context that no one that played this when they were younger had any clue how or what to do.(Get a crystal kneel in the corner of the area and wait for a tornado to pick you up like in Mario 3). You just gave me brain damage telling me you thought that was your favorite game.

From what I understand the main problem with the English version of the game was the poor localization work that pretty much left out the clues that you were supposed to get throughout the game. Also, I should add that while many people probably found the game novel at the time, there were already various Japanese PC games that did things a lot better than Dracula II. The game certainly wasn't innovative

Even so, I can think of worse games in the series like Dracula XX for the SFC.

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Foulcry

[QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="pestro"]

Panzer_Zwei

From what I understand the main problem with the English version of the game was the poor localization work that pretty much left out the clues that you were supposed to get throughout the game. Also, I should add that while many people probably found the game novel at the time, there were already various Japanese PC games that did things a lot better than Dracula II. The game certainly wasn't innovative

Even so, I can think of worse games in the series like Dracula XX for the SFC.

This is true there are worse in the series and you just named probably thee worst one in the series.

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Symphony of the Night.
pestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 pestro
Member since 2010 • 139 Posts

[QUOTE="pestro"]

Foulcry

Haha, I said based on the "wow"-factor I got back in the days :P Yes, by today's standards it's awful. Oh, and about the part were you were supposed to kneel against the wall. I did get stuck on that part but thankfully there was a Nintendo hot-line you could call back then if you got stuck.

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Foulcry

[QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="pestro"]

pestro

Haha, I said based on the "wow"-factor I got back in the days :P Yes, by today's standards it's awful. Oh, and about the part were you were supposed to kneel against the wall. I did get stuck on that part but thankfully there was a Nintendo hot-line you could call back then if you got stuck.

Yea.....lol I don't know about you but calling that hot line was extremely expensive. My mom would have beat my ass If I racked up the phone bill. I didn't get an allowance when I was younger unfortunately lol.
Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

Circle of the Moon.

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2567 Posts

My favorite CV game of all time is Rondo of Blood. It was SOTN and CV III but Rondo just stole my soul. Its a slice of gaming heaven.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#42 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
definitely Symphony of the Night
sworddancer32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sworddancer32
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
My favorite is Simon Quest for the NES it was the first castlevania game that I played
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8842 Posts
The only one i finished was Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, so i guess that's one i vote for.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Castlevania 3 Dracula's Curse was the best. Followed by Dracula X and then Super Castlevania IV.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

I think I'd go with Symphony of the Night, not because its the best per se (the GBA ones are basically the same sort of thing with new features) but because It was the first of the Metroidvania games and was before they became common place.

Out of the original type I think my favourite is Castlevania 3, with all the different characters.

I've never been too sure why people like Castlevania 4 that much, its a decent game but I always thought it was a step backwards from Castlevania 3 in everything but graphics and sound. I've always taken it that its just a case of the usual pro SNES bias.

iano-87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 iano-87
Member since 2010 • 685 Posts

i realy enjoyed castlevania 64. 2D games to make the leap to 3D on the n64 included mario 64 and zelda oot, which were absolutey amazing games and each set the bar for their respective genres. Expectations for a next gen 3d update of a classic franchise were always going to be sky high, so it was understandable when castlvania 64 didnt reach the enormous hights of these two new first paerty instalments. Still a great, if not flawed entry in the series. My favorite though is SOTN.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Panzer_Zwei

I've never been too sure why people like Castlevania 4 that much, its a decent game but I always thought it was a step backwards from Castlevania 3 in everything but graphics and sound. I've always taken it that its just a case of the usual pro SNES bias.

Domino_slayer

Well it was a remake of the original game so it was to be expected. I agree with you though, but on my part I never liked the game because it felt so sluggishly slow for my tastes.

badron11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 badron11
Member since 2003 • 243 Posts

My favorite Castlevania game, and favorite game of all time is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I love it so much that I bought it twice(PS1, XBLA), and gave it a super in-depth review:

My Castlevania: SOTN Review

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#50 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

For me its SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT, followed by DRACULA X.