your biggest pet peeves in games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

What are some things in games that irritate you to the point where you want to stop playing a game? Here's mine

Infinitely respawning enemies: For God's sake, let me clear out a room and have a chance to explore! Having a place where enemies are constantly harassing you with no chance to be done with them is irritating!

Final bosses that are 100x harder than any previous boss: The Final Fantasy series is pretty bad about this, you get all the way to the final boss and then realize you're ill-prepared to beat him and then can't finish the game.

Online cheaters: What's the point? Aside from the fact that you are ruining a game for the other players, I just don't get how a person can get any satisfaction from beating other human players by cheating.

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

Ridiculously spaced apart checkpoints - who doesn't hate losing an hour of work because of a miss timed attack or jump. I don't think I could ever play Demon's Souls without breaking a controller or two.

Unsatisfying combat - attacking an enemy and they look like they're experiencing no pain annoys the hell out of me. It's a shame because Bioshock looked really good. This is one pet peeve I would like to get past.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Cheap AI. The Mario Kart series is a perfect example of this. If I am running a perfect race and still lose, not because the computer opponent is racing better, but because it is programmed to catch up, that is super frustrating. If I lose, it should be because I stink.

superiorNilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 superiorNilly
Member since 2007 • 547 Posts

I agree 100% with yours.

One of mine is when you'll be playing the campaign, say for example an fps or shooter and for the first half of the game you'll be fighting humans, then out of no where monsters come into the game. That really puts me off.

Azohar3307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Azohar3307
Member since 2008 • 298 Posts
Mine is when games have "WHO THE @#$% IS SHOOTING ME" syndrome. Infamous was like this.
Avatar image for lastchancejames
lastchancejames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 lastchancejames
Member since 2010 • 137 Posts

Games that have boring main characters, games that copy other games and do it poorly (grand theft auto clones and halo clones), games that have horrible frame rate problems (Obsedian entertainment KOTOR2 and alpha protocol), games that are 60 dollars but should be less because they are short, and also games that lack a co-op feature and have weak online play

i-like-pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 i-like-pie
Member since 2005 • 4070 Posts

I agree 100% with yours.

One of mine is when you'll be playing the campaign, say for example an fps or shooter and for the first half of the game you'll be fighting humans, then out of no where monsters come into the game. That really puts me off.

superiorNilly
Far Cry and Crysis >.> I hate games that claim "intelligent A.I!" Running to cover and shooting isnt good A.I. They dont run to tactical cover. They just run to the nearest wall and take cover.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#8 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Respawning enemies is annoying. Especially in stealth games like Metal Gear Solid 2. I'd clear out a room on, go outside, come back in, and they'll all back on their feet.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#9 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Blood splattering on the screen when you're hurt in FPS. It's okay in some games (Metro 2033), but I don't like playing games where it constantly looks like your screen is covered in strawberry jam (MW2).

Invisible walls. If you are going to limit my creativity, at least make it believable by designing a real obstacle, and not go like 'oh, wait, it may look like you can go there, but you are not programmed to do so, tough luck kiddo'.

Game stories that take themselves a bit too seriously. Let me just say this once and for all, and this also applies to movies and even books. Lengthy, philosophical monologues/ramblings are only appropiate in so many situations, and only if they are well written. But more often than not, it results in pretentious, shallow rantings that are in no way interesting. Also, Niko Bellic can be a real crybaby at times.

Lack of quicksave in PC FPS. I want to be able to save whereverI want. Trial & error gameplay is not challenging, just annoying.

reason58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 reason58
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts

Whiny, teenage protagonists. Especially when they have long, spiky hair and a shirt that exposes most of their chest.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Worthless choices that does not matter.

reason58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 reason58

wiouds
To be fair, if every choice you made was important than it would trivialize the entire system of branching decisions. You would know that any time the game presented you with something it would have a great impact and you should choose accordingly.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 UT_Wrestler

Cheap AI. The Mario Kart series is a perfect example of this. If I am running a perfect race and still lose, not because the computer opponent is racing better, but because it is programmed to catch up, that is super frustrating. If I lose, it should be because I stink.

Euaggelistes
I believe the term is "rubberband AI", and many racing games are guilty of this; basically your opponents will slow down when you're behind and they'll speed up when you're ahead so you're always near them.
WolfBlackRiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WolfBlackRiver
Member since 2009 • 250 Posts

long and boring cutscenes! MGS4 had some dramatic cutscenes, but ETERNAL SONATA.....i gave up on the game due to the dull snorfest cutscenes!

Warship_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Warship_19
Member since 2010 • 1565 Posts
When 6 year olds tell me I suck at Call of Duty after I destroy them
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#16 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

reason58

To be fair, if every choice you made was important than it would trivialize the entire system of branching decisions. You would know that any time the game presented you with something it would have a great impact and you should choose accordingly.

Yeah, but it's a different thing when developers claim your choices and playstyle will really have an effect on gameplay, and it turns out to be untrue. The first Fable is a great example.

4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts
Off the top of my head, what really grinds my gears is crappy camera controls. Or watching someone that cant control the camera properly in third person games.
reason58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 reason58

Yeah, but it's a different thing when developers claim your choices and playstyle will really have an effect on gameplay, and it turns out to be untrue. The first Fable is a great example.

DraugenCP
Ohhhh... I got you. I thought you meant some of the choices over the course of the game, not the entire game. I agree with you that the vast majority of games that brag about the "game adapting to your decisions" are full of it.
reason58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 reason58

You don't see it as much any more, but something that always bugged me was when people who hold the controller physically over to the right to try and turn right faster. Especially in racing games.

ZenesisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 ZenesisX
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts

You don't see it as much any more, but something that always bugged me was when people who hold the controller physically over to the right to try and turn right faster. Especially in racing games.

reason58

Oh yea, I have seen this a few times:lol: it is actually pretty funny to watch someone do this. I believe it is more subconscious though.

A game pet peeve of mine is common in poorly designed games. You ever play a game where you killed an enemy somewhere and all the enemies know where you are at even if they cant see you. In some cases, you probably did not do anything yet but AI is always aware ofwhere you are at.

Another one is in shooters where the computer never seems to miss a single shot on you. Its just bad programming when everyone is 1st class shooters.

darkziosj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darkziosj
Member since 2006 • 166 Posts

when a game it's too easy even on hardest difficulty , i need to die from time to die to keep awake

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#22 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Manditory training modes.

I can stand them. They are too long, boring, and teach you to stuff you're not going to need to know for maybe 20 hours. And they are just too hard. They suck the fn out f the game because instead of letting you play the game in the way that's the most fun to you, they force you into 1 particular method.

ZenesisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ZenesisX

I can stand them. They are too long, boring, and teach you to stuff you're not going to need to know for maybe 20 hours. And they are just too hard. They suck the fn out f the game because instead of letting you play the game in the way that's the most fun to you, they force you into 1 particular method.

BuryMe

QFT, im so glad someone said this. These toturials are the true essence of boredom:(

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#24 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

ZenesisX

QFT, im so glad someone said this. These toturials are the true essence of boredom:(

I don't even see why we need them. Just give us a quick overview of the controls and let us play the game

ZenesisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ZenesisX

[QUOTE="ZenesisX"]

[QUOTE="BuryMe"]

BuryMe

I don't even see why we need them. Just give us a quick overview of the controls and let us play the game

I agree, that way, we can immerse ourselves within the game's world however we like. I really enjoy learning how a game works by simply playing and learning the controls on my own. If we must have a lame tutorial, let it be optional.

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
[QUOTE="wiouds"]

reason58

Not every choice has to have a great impact, but if you're going to give us a choice, make sure it has some kind of impact. Maybe the person just doesn't offer a quest/alternate solution to a quest. If it's a game with a party, maybe they refuse to help you at a certain point and are not selectable. That's enough for these more minor decisions.
reason58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 reason58

Mayhaps some effects are so minor that you just don't notice them?

Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts

I'm sure these have popped up already but:

-Artificially inflated difficulty: I hate it when games make things more difficult by either mobbing you with enemies or just making them use incredibly cheap and powerful attacks. It's incredibly frustrating.

-Unskippable cut scenes before a boss fight: especially when it takes multiple times for me to beat, I end up hating not skipping the scene more than the fight.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

Ridiculously spaced apart checkpoints - who doesn't hate losing an hour of work because of a miss timed attack or jump. I don't think I could ever play Demon's Souls without breaking a controller or two.

Unsatisfying combat - attacking an enemy and they look like they're experiencing no pain annoys the hell out of me. It's a shame because Bioshock looked really good. This is one pet peeve I would like to get past.

tryagainlater

Lost Planet 2 was completly unforgiving with checkpoints. If you died 3 times you had to start the entire stage over...

And Force Unleashed had better fix their combat. I'm supossed to be the baddest mo fo in the galaxy and I hold my lightsaber backwards cause I'm that good - and then when you hit stormtroopers it feels like you're hitting them with a wooden stick... And then there were those really tall grey stormtroopers that could block the force. I was like what.....??!?!?!?!?!?

Alex3796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 1

#30 Alex3796
Member since 2009 • 2669 Posts

I would have to say spaced out checkpoints and online cheaters.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

Easy games or games that have an easy or very easy difficulty setting.

Games that have an automatic mode where it does everything for you.

Fetch Quests.

Games that have repetitious combat that ISN'T enjoyable.

Games with large breasted women with NO jiggle physics.

Auto-aim.

'Good' A.I. that just seems to know where you are.

Cinematic Gameplay. i.e. going into a smaller cutscene for an action where, say, all the enemies around just seem to let you take your time and finish decapitating their ally.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Games that lack a good story - I always find a game's plot to be an important aspect of the experience, hell, I even enjoy a crappy game if it has a great storyline to follow. Its also what usually makes the game the most memorable to me. DLC salesmen or pathetic use of advertising - Dragon Age was great, I enjoyed it so much and just as I got properly immersed in the game I met the bastard salesman. Same with Burnout: Paradise, I'd like to race without having a huge billboard asking to vote for Obama pop up every few seconds. Crappy guns - theres nothing I enjoy more in an FPS than shooting a guy with a 50 cal sniper and watching the bullet tear him to shreds, but some games just don't get it right, and that usually puts me off a little bit.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 UT_Wrestler

reason58
Isn't that kind of where the concept behind the Wii's motion controls came from? If I recall back when Nintendo was developing the wii, Miyamoto was saying that gamers already sway and jerk their controllers in the direction that they want their character/vehicle to move, so why not make that the way you actually control them?
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 UT_Wrestler
[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

Easy games or games that have an easy or very easy difficulty setting.

Games that have an automatic mode where it does everything for you.

Fetch Quests.

Games that have repetitious combat that ISN'T enjoyable.

Games with large breasted women with NO jiggle physics.

Auto-aim.

'Good' A.I. that just seems to know where you are.

Cinematic Gameplay. i.e. going into a smaller cutscene for an action where, say, all the enemies around just seem to let you take your time and finish decapitating their ally.

Aren't a few of those usually optional? No game forces you to play on easy mode, or automatic mode, and auto aim can usually be turned off. Those are just there to make it more accessible to novice gamers.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 UT_Wrestler
. DLC salesmen or pathetic use of advertising - Dragon Age was great, I enjoyed it so much and just as I got properly immersed in the game I met the bastard salesman. Same with Burnout: Paradise, I'd like to race without having a huge billboard asking to vote for Obama pop up every few seconds. .koospetoors
Oh yeah I should have put that one in there too. When I talked to the guy in the camp in Dragon Age and he offered me an awesome-sounding sidequest, and then I find out I have to pay for it, I wanted to tell that guy to go **** himself and then kill him. Did Bioware really have to be so obvious that they intentionally held back content so that they could charge you more money?
OneShotFOGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 OneShotFOGE
Member since 2010 • 38 Posts
Rubberband AI- goddamn u Motorstorm. I got 4th place on a race w a time of 8:53 and had to get a time of 8:12 to get 1st. Even then every single car finished within 2 seconds of me. One of my greatest accomplishments but it was so frustrating. I actually got into a violent yelling fit against my voiceless playstation. I too hate clown box enemies (infinite respawn). And to he'll with all games that won't let my character jumpover a 4 inch ledge. It ruins the immersion
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

tryagainlater

You would never lose an hour of work in demons souls from dying, all you would lose is the travel time back to where you were, wh9ich wouldnt even exceed 15 mins most likely.