You know what gaming needs? More Castlevania.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SulIy (113 posts) -
I was actually a big fan of Lords of Shadow, it's a solid game. Thing is, it would have been a solid game if that was all the title was. The Castlevania name didn't even need to be present, because very little of what was their had much to do with Castlevania. The very name describes the actual castle Dracula resides in, but in Lords of Shadow, not once does the castle get named, and only a brief note on a dead knight mentions a few familiar things in passing about the people who lived there before the vampires did, and the castle being a sentient being in and of itself. It felt like the name was just tacked on to boost sales. The "real" Castlevania games are still stuck on portable gaming systems, but even they seem to be taking a different LoS inspired track as of the 3DS. I was pretty shocked and let down that this generation passed with only one new downloadable Castlevania title, and that was a graphic touch up of an original Game Boy game that was never very good to begin with, Castlevania: The Adventure. It seems like a digital download via XBL/PSN/Nintendo Network would be a great safe way to get these games on consoles again. They could start with a game focusing on the battle of 1999, the last stand of Dracula, mentioned only in passing in the Aria series on the GBA and DS. Hell, I'd just take the GBA and DS games with touched up graphics, just gimme something, anything! Any 'Vania fans feel what I'm saying here?
#2 Posted by iHarlequin (1928 posts) -

The Souls series is the 3D castlevania-equivalent - at least to me. I still like their DS/2D games, though.

#3 Posted by tribalTox (803 posts) -

Ohhhh. I thought gaming needed more Cowbell! My mistake. :)

#4 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12833 posts) -
I'm fine with them on handhelds especially the DS since you don't have to pause to bring up the map.
#5 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Gaming needs more games like Stubbs the Zombie.

It also needs an open world x men game.

Finally, it needs KOTOR 3

#6 Posted by Allicrombie (26207 posts) -
I couldnt really get into LoS. I love all the handheld ones I've played though.
#7 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6054 posts) -
[QUOTE="SulIy"]I was actually a big fan of Lords of Shadow, it's a solid game. Thing is, it would have been a solid game if that was all the title was. The Castlevania name didn't even need to be present, because very little of what was their had much to do with Castlevania. The very name describes the actual castle Dracula resides in, but in Lords of Shadow, not once does the castle get named, and only a brief note on a dead knight mentions a few familiar things in passing about the people who lived there before the vampires did, and the castle being a sentient being in and of itself. It felt like the name was just tacked on to boost sales. The "real" Castlevania games are still stuck on portable gaming systems, but even they seem to be taking a different LoS inspired track as of the 3DS. I was pretty shocked and let down that this generation passed with only one new downloadable Castlevania title, and that was a graphic touch up of an original Game Boy game that was never very good to begin with, Castlevania: The Adventure. It seems like a digital download via XBL/PSN/Nintendo Network would be a great safe way to get these games on consoles again. They could start with a game focusing on the battle of 1999, the last stand of Dracula, mentioned only in passing in the Aria series on the GBA and DS. Hell, I'd just take the GBA and DS games with touched up graphics, just gimme something, anything! Any 'Vania fans feel what I'm saying here?

If I new you in person, I'd buy you a beer for this post. I agree with nearly everything in it. The only thing I disagree with is one criticism of Lords- very few games in the series actually named the castle. It's actually more of a known fact that nobody really addresses. Mirror of Fate is working on addressing one of the issues you called out- Trevor will be there, and Simon will be more suited to his previous incarnations; a grizzled barbarian, rather than a pretty Japanese boy dressed up as a barbarian. I'm also hoping that after Lords 2(the supposed end of Mercury-Steam's run with the series) they pick up the original timeline with Julius and the Battle of 1999.
#8 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
I am all for this though I really enjoyed LoS but I am against the portable version.
#9 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6054 posts) -
I am all for this though I really enjoyed LoS but I am against the portable version.dvader654
Why are you against Mirror of Fate?
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
#10 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]I am all for this though I really enjoyed LoS but I am against the portable version.El_Zo1212o

Cause he has a right to an opinion,and isn't a fanboy like you.

Accept LoS already.

#11 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="dvader654"]I am all for this though I really enjoyed LoS but I am against the portable version.GreekGameManiac

Accept LoS already.

What kind of response is this? Anyway El, it looks like ass to me. I have a fear that when it hits the reviews will be horrible. It looks way too slow for a 2D Castlevania. Plus it is linear, I am a far bigger fan of metroidvania.
#12 Posted by Canuck3000 (40562 posts) -
We need another Castlevania like Harmony of Despair. Loved that game.
#13 Posted by killerband55 (107961 posts) -

i just want a sequal of Harmony of Despair (ya know the 6 player side-scrolling game), that game is so much fun

#14 Posted by bowserjr123 (2463 posts) -

Hell yeah, I totally agree with you, it's one of my favorite franchises. I finally played Symphony of the Night last year and I loved it, I was so addicted to that game lol. I want to see more of the linear Castlevanias though, more like Super Castlevania IV.

#15 Posted by Archangel3371 (22741 posts) -
I've always been a huge Castlevania fan but I'm pretty content with what Lords of Shadow is doing. Loved the first game and very much looking forward to the second.
#16 Posted by MadVybz (2797 posts) -

The Souls series is the 3D castlevania-equivalent - at least to me.

iHarlequin

That's actually pretty funny, because I felt the same way about Dark Souls. It had this overwhelming Metroidvania feel to it - which made me love it even more.

#17 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
Someone get the TC a beer and high five. Stat. Can't wait For LoS 2.
#18 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6054 posts) -

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="dvader654"] Why are you against Mirror of Fate?GreekGameManiac

Accept LoS already.

That seems needlessly hostile...
Anyway El, it looks like ass to me. I have a fear that when it hits the reviews will be horrible. It looks way too slow for a 2D Castlevania. Plus it is linear, I am a far bigger fan of metroidvania.dvader654
As I understand it, it is MV-style- the only difference is that it has certain areas that are 3D like in the first Lords game. As far as how it looks, I think it looks pretty sharp. I hate the Lords timeline, and think it's completely unnecessary, but I'm looking forward to playing Mirror of Fate.
#19 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

I love Castlevania as a whole. In fact, I seem to be the only Castlevania fan that also loved Lords of Shadow as well. I don't really think it's an issue that they never mention Castlevania by name, it rarely is brought up in the series and with everything else Mercury Steam crammed into that game referencing the other titles, I think not mentioning "Castlevania" was by design. It'll probably pop up in Mirror of Fate and Lords of Shadow 2, both games I'm highly anticipating.

I wouldn't mind another 2D (as in art style) sidescroller from the original timeline for the 3DS though.

#20 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
needs metroidvania designs.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
#21 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18546 posts) -

I agree. I think Lord of Shadows is a solid game... But the fact that that's supposed to be the reboot is just depressing to me. I loved the 2D ones on handhelds.

#22 Posted by alim298 (2747 posts) -

I didn't like Castlevania series from the beginning. Even I played "Dawn of sorrow" so that maybe I change my mind. Well there was a lot of fighting going on and different enemies and souls but it was plain action with no story. The philosophy of the story was stupid. But then I took a look at LOS. A hero, Gabriel falls so badly and becomes Dracula. A hero you always knew. A hero that has even defeated Satan. Now that's story and I am up to see him taking his revenge over Satan. Yes that's right the first game had some big flows but I think LOS 2 won't have them (Especially that fixed camera.)

#23 Posted by OneInchMan99 (1248 posts) -

I thought Lords of Shadow was great,I've never played any of the earlier games though so It did'nt bother me that it was something of a reboot.Can't wait for LOS 2.

#24 Posted by SulIy (113 posts) -

I love Castlevania as a whole. In fact, I seem to be the only Castlevania fan that also loved Lords of Shadow as well. I don't really think it's an issue that they never mention Castlevania by name, it rarely is brought up in the series and with everything else Mercury Steam crammed into that game referencing the other titles, I think not mentioning "Castlevania" was by design. It'll probably pop up in Mirror of Fate and Lords of Shadow 2IndianaPwns39

I guess that's possible. I also would have liked at least one or two remixed classic tunes in the soundtrack, as good as it was, I would have appreciated some remixes of the Theme of Simon, Vampire Killer, and Bloody Tears.
I'm fine with them on handhelds especially the DS since you don't have to pause to bring up the map.OreoMilkshake
I just don't get much out of portables, I'm not a portable gamer, and I feel silly using those systems at home. I'd kill for a HD downloadable version of Order of Ecclesia and Harmony of Dissonance.

#25 Posted by Darkmoone1 (2845 posts) -
We need another Castlevania like Harmony of Despair. Loved that game. Canuck3000
I agree with this man. Let there be More Castlevania of this type!
#26 Posted by Minishdriveby (10520 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]I am all for this though I really enjoyed LoS but I am against the portable version.El_Zo1212o

To me the portable version just doesn't look as stylish. It's more streamlined which means less exploration (keep in mind this is in releation to the other handheld titles, not LoS), the environments are more bland than the other handheld 2D castlevanias, and the enemy variety just doesn't seem to be there. Also it seems like all RPG elements have been removed in order to make it a 2D GoW like hack and slash.

EDIT: It seems your character can gain levels, and there may be a skill tree. But these are really lite RPG elements considering the other handheld games. I want my equipment to have stats, attributes, etc.

#27 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6054 posts) -

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="dvader654"]I am all for this though I really enjoyed LoS but I am against the portable version.Minishdriveby

To me the portable version just doesn't look as stylish. It's more streamlined which means less exploration (keep in mind this is in releation to the other handheld titles, not LoS), the environments are more bland than the other handheld 2D castlevanias, and the enemy variety just doesn't seem to be there. Also it seems like all RPG elements have been removed in order to make it a 2D GoW like hack and slash.

EDIT: It seems your character can gain levels, and there may be a skill tree. But these are really lite RPG elements considering the other handheld games. I want my equipment to have stats, attributes, etc.

Have you spent any time playing it, like at the trade shows and etc? I've only seen one or two different videos with any gameplay, so I'm going to reserve judgement for now on environments and enemy variety until I get my hands on it.. Me, I'm all for changing up the combat in a 2D Castlevania game. Ever since it's inception, 2D CV protagonists have always had a single attack animation(or one for each weapon type in Soma's case). It'll be nice to change that up with an actual combat system. And while I would be willing to forego any weapon upgrading for Trevor, I would like to upgrade armor and other equipment. They've essentially gone from Castlevania as an adventure game with action and RPG elements to Castlevania as an action game with RPG and adventure elements. That is, assuming you're right about making it a 'more streamlined, less exploration' kind of experience.
#28 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

That seems needlessly hostile... .El_Zo1212o

Well i'm sick and tired of you dissing LoS.

It WAS a Castlevania game,it was good,get over it.

#29 Posted by Minishdriveby (10520 posts) -

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] Why are you against Mirror of Fate?El_Zo1212o

Have you spent any time playing it, like at the trade shows and etc? I've only seen one or two different videos with any gameplay, so I'm going to reserve judgement for now on environments and enemy variety until I get my hands on it.. Me, I'm all for changing up the combat in a 2D Castlevania game. Ever since it's inception, 2D CV protagonists have always had a single attack animation(or one for each weapon type in Soma's case). It'll be nice to change that up with an actual combat system. And while I would be willing to forego any weapon upgrading for Trevor, I would like to upgrade armor and other equipment. They've essentially gone from Castlevania as an adventure game with action and RPG elements to Castlevania as an action game with RPG and adventure elements. That is, assuming you're right about making it a 'more streamlined, less exploration' kind of experience.

"Although, this game has a map to explore it is not really a Metroidvania. It is very much an action combat game based on the Lords of Shadow universe. One of the things people really liked about Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was the combat aspect of it. Mixing up strategies, using light and shadow magic, sub weapons, and things like that. So, we beefed that up," Cox replied. "Our audience was telling us they wanted a bigger exploration element to the game, so we added a more traditional exploration side." "I think the inspiration really comes from [Castlevania III:] Draculas Curse and not Metroidvania. Its more about multi-branching pathways, the ability to go back and explore other area of the castle as other characters. Its definitely not Metroidvania." - Dave Cox, Head of Product Planning and Development.

There's going to be more exploration than in LoS, but that's not it's main focus, so we'll be left with much less to explore compared to the other handheld titles. It also seems to be each character has a rather linear path, and upon playing the game again as a different character you open up a couple different paths. Kind of like a Birth by Sleep deal where each character has a somewhat differing story, but a lot of the areas are the same.

If you're in it for a combo system and what not, then you'll most likely enjoy the game.

#30 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6054 posts) -

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]That seems needlessly hostile... .GreekGameManiac

Seriously? He said he liked Lords but was against the 3DS game. I was curious as to why. It sounds to me like you need to chill the hell out. I never said Lords wasn't a good game. I played it. I liked it well enough, though I felt Patrick Stewart phoned in the narration. The only thing I ever held against it was that they rebooted the story before they told the most pivotal part of it. I've been playing Castlevania for better than twenty years, and I've followed the timeline religiously for the last 14. If there is anyone else here who has more of a right to their opinion on the validity of the Lords timeline, I'd like to meet him.
#31 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6054 posts) -

"...Its definitely not Metroidvania." - Dave Cox, Head of Product Planning and Development.

There's going to be more exploration than in LoS, but that's not it's main focus, so we'll be left with much less to explore compared to the other handheld titles. It also seems to be each character has a rather linear path, and upon playing the game again as a different character you open up a couple different paths. Kind of like a Birth by Sleep deal where each character has a somewhat differing story, but a lot of the areas are the same.

If you're in it for a combo system and what not, then you'll most likely enjoy the game.

Minishdriveby
Yeah, I was afraid I'd read that somewhere, too. But even if it isn't a free roam castle setup, it doesn't mean every corridor will look the same and be populated with the same enemies. Frankly, I'm betting that with all the character models in 3D that we'll be seeing a wider variety of enemy types, rather than the tried and true method of pallette swapping and resource recycling. It's still one of my most anticipated games for the first quarter of 2013.
#32 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6054 posts) -
[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]That seems needlessly hostile... .El_Zo1212o

Seriously? He said he liked Lords but was against the 3DS game. I was curious as to why. It sounds to me like you need to chill the hell out. I never said Lords wasn't a good game. I played it. I liked it well enough, though I felt Patrick Stewart phoned in the narration. The only thing I ever held against it was that they rebooted the story before they told the most pivotal part of it. I've been playing Castlevania for better than twenty years, and I've followed the timeline religiously for the last 14. If there is anyone else here who has more of a right to their opinion on the validity of the Lords timeline, I'd like to meet him.

And for the record, I'm against- have always been against- rebooting in general. The first time it was ever heard of, that is to say, when Batman Begins came out, it was a great idea. It was necessary. Batman had been going right into the sh!tter after Batman Returns. But then everyone started going crazy with it, and series that didn't need it- to wit, Castlevania- were getting the reboot treatment. In some cases it works- Tomb Raider, Spiderman- in other cases it's unnecessary.
#33 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -

Its definitely not Metroidvania." - Dave Cox, Head of Product Planning and Development.

Minishdriveby

I'm actually glad for this. We've had nothing but metroidvania after metroidvania since SotN and it's gotten a bit stale. Don't get me wrong, I love the metroidvanias (Circle of the Moon being my all time favorite CV) but the series needs to push forward and evolve.

It's funny, when it comes to "mainstream" games like CoD, Madden, or Halo, gamers will cry to the heavens about rehashes and redundancy in game mechanics but you talk rehashes with a more "niche" series like CV and the fanbase will sh!t bricks and go into defense mode. It's a silly double standard.

Frankly, I love the direction the LoS has taken the series and I can't wait for LoS2 and Mirror of Fate.

#34 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6054 posts) -

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]Its definitely not Metroidvania." - Dave Cox, Head of Product Planning and Development.

AcidSoldner

I'm actually glad for this. We've had nothing but metroidvania after metroidvania since SotN and it's gotten a bit stale. Don't get me wrong, I love the metroidvanias (Circle of the Moon being my all time favorite CV) but the series needs to push forward and evolve.

It's funny, when it comes to "mainstream" games like CoD, Madden, or Halo, gamers will cry to the heavens about rehashes and redundancy in game mechanics but you talk rehashes with a more "niche" series like CV and the fanbase will sh!t bricks and go into defense mode. It's a silly double standard.

Frankly, I love the direction the LoS has taken the series and I can't wait for LoS2 and Mirror of Fate.

I see what you're saying, but I'm worried that the step they're going to take with Mirror of Fate is a step backwards. Mirror of Fate(gameplaywise) could just end up being a shinier, flashier version of Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. If it isn't, so much the better. But I've owned every handheld Castlevania, and I'm not about to break that streak over a what if.
#35 Posted by the__joker (6013 posts) -

The Souls series is the 3D castlevania-equivalent - at least to me. I still like their DS/2D games, though.

iHarlequin

This.

A castlevania like Soul game would be awesome. Scratch that, it would be perfect!

#36 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

I love Castlevania as a whole. In fact, I seem to be the only Castlevania fan that also loved Lords of Shadow as well. I don't really think it's an issue that they never mention Castlevania by name, it rarely is brought up in the series and with everything else Mercury Steam crammed into that game referencing the other titles, I think not mentioning "Castlevania" was by design. It'll probably pop up in Mirror of Fate and Lords of Shadow 2SulIy

I guess that's possible. I also would have liked at least one or two remixed classic tunes in the soundtrack, as good as it was, I would have appreciated some remixes of the Theme of Simon, Vampire Killer, and Bloody Tears.

I enjoyed the Vampire Killer music box, one of those little references I enjoyed.

There's even a suggestion in Gabriel's in game bio that he becomes Dracula.

#37 Posted by bjvill (152 posts) -
"Ah... I can see into your mind.... You like Castlevania, don't you?"
#38 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

"Ah... I can see into your mind.... You like Castlevania, don't you?"bjvill

Hah!

But we ARE getting more.

#39 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

needs metroidvania designs.campzor

YES!

Not enough of the Metroivania and Zelda design in games!