Years Away From a New Console, Why the Rush?

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

Edited By YukoAsho
Member since 2004 • 3737 Posts

So the PS5 was recently re-announced, even though there's nowhere near what can be called a final spec for the machine. We're probably another year from even having a real, concrete idea of what the PS5 will offer, let alone a set-in-stone specification or a price point. The promises are being thrown out there, though, with 8K being bandied about as a talking point (For all you guys playing your games on actual movie theater screens), but there's little on specifics.

Sony's reason for talking about the system SO early is sound. They're sending early dev kits to third parties, and don't want leaks to overshadow the next few years of marketing, so they're getting the initial announcement out of the way. However, why is it so important to get all the information on the new system NOW? Yes, the PS4 is approaching its sixth anniversary, but the system will likely see the 7th before the PS5 has been finalized. Hell, it might see the 8th, depending on now fast Sony wants to go.

There's still plenty of awesome coming in the coming years for the PS4, so let's all slow down and appreciate it. At the end of the day, it's not systems we play, but games. I still gotta pick up Days Gone, and Death Stranding is still on the horizon. Let's enjoy the games, and let the PS5 come when it comes. Hell, slowing our roll also helps Sony take their time on the system, make sure all the bugs are ironed out and all that.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1 outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 4218 Posts

I agree with you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I grew up in the days when we got new consoles about every 5 years, so after 5 years, I start wanting to see the new consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@storm_of_swords said:

I grew up in the days when we got new consoles about every 5 years, so after 5 years, I start wanting to see the new consoles.

Same

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

Not really in a rush, would prefer they make sure it's a product that'll be competent, reliable, and supply flexible kits for developers. And not fall apart after limited use, with limited games due to hardware being a mess.

The only ones I see really vocally suggesting a speed-up in the console market having been doing so a year after PS4/ XB1 release. And they are easily the vocal minority.

They will never be satisfied, so should not be factored towards the gaming market release structure.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#5 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I'm not going to rush to buy the PS5 that's for sure. I'll probably end up waiting a year until I even consider.

I bought the Switch a few days after it's launch though.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Yeah, I haven't hit that point yet where I'm wanting new consoles... it's not like at the end of last gen when everyone was crying out for them. Maybe in a couple of years.

ExtremeBlue90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ExtremeBlue90
Member since 2019 • 5 Posts

It is good to have an upgraded consoles, and I strongly agree when you said

@YukoAsho said:

There's still plenty of awesome coming in the coming years for the PS4, so let's all slow down and appreciate it.

This gen consoles can give 2-3 more years, but games now are some kind of different then games released in 2013 and backwards, like the few recent games their sizes require a high amount of storage space, some games file size reached 85GB and more, this serve the quality of the game from graphics, improved mechanics, beautiful visuals and environments makes you sometimes pause your game progress and take a moment to enjoy the beautiful world, to keep all these things stable, a new gen console need to be released, I really don't mind if the new gen consoles releases in 2020 holiday season.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 YukoAsho
Member since 2004 • 3737 Posts

@storm_of_swords: Weird, I thought I'd replied...

The thing that differentiates now from then is that each console gen was an ENORMOUS leap from the last. From Odyssey to 2600 to NES, SNES, PSX and PS2, each of them represented a HUGE practical leap in power and the types of games offered. It was one HELL of a time to be alive, that's for sure.

I feel like the PS3/360 were the last true leap, and the PS4 and 5 are more about cramming a few extra details in the image and blowing up the resolution.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

I'm OK with this gen taking 10 years like the previous one.

The PS4 is like 6 years now ( or close to it )

I have a back log right now so ... I doubt I'll buy a PS5 until at least a year later if not more.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

@YukoAsho: I feel that way too

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#11 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Doesn't bother me much if/when I still have a good amount of games I want to play on the PS4 even after the next Playstation releases. I'll probably get it about a year after it launches anyway. And I have a PS4 Pro so it should continue I'm not in too much of a rush for a performance upgrade. I'll undoubtedly need to invest in a 4K TV with the next console anyway, but thankfully they're fairly cheap now and somewhat becoming more of the standard. So, I dunno, I get the sentiment. But I also get that a lot of people are always ready to get their hands on the newest tech and the PS4 will easily be 7 years old by the time a new console comes out, which is consistent with how old the PS3 was when the PS4 released.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

They aren't, as f ar as we know.