Xevious: Good on 360, Horrible on Wii. Sez who? Sez Gamespot.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Uglyface2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Uglyface2
Member since 2004 • 55 Posts

The reviews are in!  Jeff Gerstmann says that the 360 Live version of Xevious is a 6.5, while those of us with longer memories will remember that Frank Provost gave the Wii version a 3.7.

I know, I know, two different reviewers gave two different scores for exactly the same game.  We can chalk that up as a taste issue.  The problem is that anyone who just glances over the scores won't realize that.

For reviews of identical 25 year old games, Gamespot really needs to get some level of editorial consistency.  I can't imagine it being a problem for either Frank or Jeff to handle two reviews of Xevious, since it really is a short and simple game.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Yeah, but one of them liked it and the other did not. Perhaps it's the gfx. Perhaps the Live version is better value for money.
nuttybar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 nuttybar
Member since 2005 • 9624 Posts

Two people having different opinions on the same game?!?! Gamespot must burn to the ground! You cant expect two people to have the exact same opinions on a game...they're not robots.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts
Is the Live version re-tooled with enhancements at all?
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
Is the Live version re-tooled with enhancements at all?gaminggeek
I think some achievement points, but nothing in terms of graphical enhancements or online funtionality, IIRC.
Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts
Actually, the TC may have a good idea. Why not have the same reviewer do the same game accross all platforms? That way, a difference in score can be justified by something more than "they just have different tastes".
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Skylock00
Actually, the TC may have a good idea. Why not have the same reviewer do the same game accross all platforms? That way, a difference in score can be justified by something more than "they just have different tastes".Grieverr
Well, another difference in this case is that for Xevious on the Wii, you're paying 5 bucks for the NES port of the arcade original, wheras on XBL, you're paying 4 bucks for the original Arcade version of the game...that might've been a factor, I'm not sure.
Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Grieverr

Well, another difference in this case is that for Xevious on the Wii, you're paying 5 bucks for the NES port of the arcade original, wheras on XBL, you're paying 4 bucks for the original Arcade version of the game...that might've been a factor, I'm not sure.
Skylock00

Absolutely. That's one of the things I try to educate my friends about. The Wii arcade games are actually the console ports of that arcade game whereas the 360 version is the actual arcade version. I can't tell you how many times I had to explain that when Contra came out on the Live Arcade.

That being the case, I still think its a good idea if the same reviewer reviews the game across all platforms and goes into pros and cons of each. I had actually been asking around if there is a site out there that goes into details when describing differences between the same game on different consoles. Gamespot usually dedicates a line or two in its review, but I was looking for something more substantial.

The_Duke_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Duke_Lives
Member since 2007 • 597 Posts

Here is what the Live version has that the Wii version does not......

Original Arcade version rather than NES port

Optimized for widescreen HD televisions.

Online leaderboards.

Achievements.

These extra features may have been a factor in the better score.

By the way, Skylock, the game is also 5 bucks on the 360.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Grieverr
I also wanted to add that I hope the review is fair for what the game is supposed to be. In this case, I hope the Wii reviewer gave it an approriate score for a game that's supposed to be an NES title, and not scoring it against its actual arcade counterpart.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
3.7?! Dear lord such a monstrosity must burn. *marks on Wii games to avoid list*
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Skylock00

The_Duke_Lives

It is?  I read that it was 400 Microsoft Points, which I thought meant 4 dollars.

My mistake. :P 

The_Duke_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Duke_Lives
Member since 2007 • 597 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Duke_Lives"]

Skylock00

It is?  I read that it was 400 Microsoft Points, which I thought meant 4 dollars.

My mistake. :P 

Yes Microsoft isn't quite so honest with their pricing.

400 MS points = $5

800 MS points =$10

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts
The best site for retro reviews is here
Housaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Housaki
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Actually, the TC may have a good idea. Why not have the same reviewer do the same game accross all platforms? That way, a difference in score can be justified by something more than "they just have different tastes".Grieverr

Agreed.

AlexN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AlexN
Member since 2003 • 9000 Posts

Xevious on XBLA is the original arcade game, entirely intact. Xevious on the Wii VC is the NES port, which was already a slightly hobbled version. In this case, we're saying that one held up considerably better than the other, that's all.

Additionally, in nearly all cases where it's possible, we have the same reviewers review all versions of games across platforms. Sometimes it just isn't possible, due to scheduling or whatnot, but we don't assign these reviews to people who aren't familiar with the original games. 

Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jeff
Member since 2002 • 4005 Posts

For reviews of identical 25 year old games, Gamespot really needs to get some level of editorial consistency.  I can't imagine it being a problem for either Frank or Jeff to handle two reviews of Xevious, since it really is a short and simple game.

Uglyface2

Actually, the games are anything but identical. The Wii got the NES version, which totally sucks. The 360 got the arcade version, which is still kind of cool.