Would you want your children to be gamers like you?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

grandacemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 grandacemaster
Member since 2010 • 111 Posts

I would not mind the addiction of games for my children(not married yet), but if they are too much addictive in it, i would certainly make sure that in their early childhood they do not get to play any games other then hardware based.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

I would love it if my children became gamers !
I will give them my snes for starters, when they get older they get a PS3 or Wii.

Oh and if I ever hear them trolling online I willtake the console away for a week or so.8)

Avatar image for Victors_Valiant
Victors_Valiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Victors_Valiant
Member since 2010 • 398 Posts
I would not mind one bit since my fiancee and I are both gamers. But they would need to be active like I was growing up and still am, because I don't won't obese children or ones that sit in their rooms all day doing nothing productive.
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

i wouldn't let them sit their for hours doing nothing else when they are young, but i think gaming could be a good way of interacting with your children.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts

Why not? Finally I'd have someone to play with. Hopefuly local multiplayer hasn't been extinguished by then.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Families that play together, stay together. Any gaming parent who does not play video games with their kids, is missing out..
marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 marcogamer07
Member since 2008 • 1615 Posts

I really wouldn't care. I'd be happy with my children as long as they have a better childhood than mine, that's for sure.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
I'd let them play, but I'd also make it a first priority to learn them that there should be a balance between playing video games and other important things (like school) in life. I never learned that and ended up glued to the computer screen when I was young, which obviously resulted in me becoming fat and unfit. I lead a more balanced lifestyle now.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

I would want my daughter to pursue what she enjoys. If gaming is one of those things, then so be it. If it's something else, more power to her. I'm there to encourage and nurture regardless.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

I don't see why not, it's a good way to interact with your children.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

If they wanted to, and as long as they had a healthy social life, it wouldn't bother me.

KPAXMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 KPAXMAN
Member since 2009 • 160 Posts

I probably wouldn't introduce gaming to them until a later age. My nephew started playing games at an early age because he saw his dad playing them. Now, at 5 years old, the kid crys and whines when he is told to stop playing. Its also not a good sign that at his birthday party, while the kids just went outside to play, he came back inside within 5 minutes to play his handheld. Some of the adults thought that was rude.This is just my example, so if I were to have children I'd wait till they reached an older age. At the same time, I'd probably play video games when they slept or are at daycare so they won't become influenced to play them from just watching me.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#13 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
If it's what they enjoyed doing
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I think it'd be cool for my kids to be gamers. Also, if my kids are gaming in 20 years or so, that sort of gives me a way to still have exposure to games even after giving up gaming. I mean, I sort of expect that I'll have given up gaming 20 or 30 years from now, but it'd still be kind of cool to see what games are like. Having kids means that I can buy games for THEM, and then kind of play around with their games a little bit even if I wouldn't buy games for myself.

But yeah...I wouldn't mind my kids being gamers. Just as long as they're not super hardcore about gaming.

CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

Probably.

ExtremePhobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 ExtremePhobia
Member since 2008 • 349 Posts
Absolutely. I've always believed that games teach problem solving skills (amongst other things).
198d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 198d
Member since 2004 • 265 Posts

first off let me say that i dont want kids. not once, not never.

but the world works in funny ways, if somehow im put in the position that i do have a child, i would love to have them be a gamer.

as with anything though, always in moderation. ive seen too many obese kids glued to their ds and no friends, not to mention complete a-holes to their parents. i wouldnt stand for that. i remember when i got into trouble as a child, i would get put on "restriction" and that meant no television and thus no video games. that kept me in line. but at the same time this meant an end to my social life with the neighborhood kids for x amount of time. video games have always been secondary to my social life. i would make sure that my kid was playing local community sports and make plenty of friends that way.

thats one of the downfalls to online gaming today, kids use that as an excuse to their non-existant social life by saying that they are being social. being annoying and excessively cussing behind your parent's back to people they will never meet is not being social. i would ensure single player gaming or local multiplayer until they are at least a freshman in high school.

when they are grown up and wanna be playing an MMO every moment of their life, that is their decision. but ill do whatever i can early in their life to mold them into not turning into that.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
No...I wouldn't want to share my consoles and games with them :P But in all seriousness I started playing games when I was just Three, and while is hasn't caused me any serious problems, I still have a good social life and everything, but I do get frustrated easily and have a bad temper at times, and I do believe it is caused by me been exposed to them so young, If I had kids I personally wouldn't let them have there own console until they where at least 7 years old, which is the second lowest age restriction for games in the UK (the youngest been 3), I would however let them play some games before that on my own consoles, stuff like LEGO or movie based games, but only at weekends and it would only be an evening activity, I wouldn't want them spending all day on them like I sometimes did.
hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#19 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

When i was a kid i played games for hours and nobody stopped me. I have two boys and i dont want them playing on games like i did at their age,1-2 hours max a day is acceptable, not 4-5 like i used to do.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

My daughters are gamers. We play a lot of LBP together (sometimes we play Scott Pilgrim), they play Sports Champions, Eyepet and Start the Party mostly on their own and they have a DS (with Nintendogs, Scribblenauts, Style Savy and Animal Crossing).

I hold them to an hour of gaming on weekdays, though often they are so busy with homework, afterschool activities and errands they don't get in the hour before their bedtime. On weekends we play it by ear (we go out a lot but if the weather is awful, we marathon on LBP).

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#21 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
I don't want children, but in that hypothesis, yes, definitely. I'd prefer they'd be great at games, than great at sports.
Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jehuty08
Member since 2007 • 1950 Posts

Ihonestly dont see how my kids wont be gamers.

shinekpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shinekpk
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
nah
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

a gamer like me? no...a gamer yes. I spend too much time playing games to the point where in hs i had a 2.1 ....still went to college though

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

I'd like it. But I'd want them to stay active and up on their schoolwork as well.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#26 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I absolutely want my kids to be gamers. The only thing I don't want is for gaming to interfere with their schoolwork, like it did with mine :)

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#27 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

i think games can be healthy for development of the brain (it's actually been scientifically proven to help grow the conscious mind), but it depends on the game and on the person playing. but for me, they're very helpful.

RoyalWCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RoyalWCheese
Member since 2010 • 284 Posts

Yes, and I would give them

*Banjo Tooie

*Orcarina of Time

*Super Mario NES

*The World Ends With You

to start off with....

and then when they get a little older....

*Grand Theft Auto 4

*Crisis Core

*Call of Duty 4

*Assassins Creed 2

Because these are the games that have influenced my life and I hope that one day my children get to experience that aswell :)