Would you play Fallout if they used the n-word? (Serious question, no judging)

sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sanghelle56
Member since 2017 • 250 Posts

DISCLAIMER: I'm talking about the new context, not the original slur. And I'm not putting this post in Political Gamers 'cause it has nothing direct to do with current events.

To be honest, there aren't that many game series I could say that a word like the n word could fit in. But the Fallout series would be perfect, hear me out.

Firs of all, curse New Vegas in particular for having most side villain characters not named Benny (i.e. Joe Cobb and Saint James) be black. It just felt wrong. I'm not saying Fallout would pull a full GTA move by doing this, but it's an M rated series with lots of gallows humor, and gamers as of 2019 are open minded enough to see it's a world away from things like The Boondocks setting wise. So why be offended when it'd be more welcoming of how colored people really talk? WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT IS MAKING THE DAMN GAME MORE CULTURALLY FRIENDLY. GTA follows every race stereotype ever, but it's still a successful game! My point being if it can fly there it can fly in Fallout. It's post-apocalypse with strong pinches of science fiction, while still down to Earth. If it was strong sci-fi like Mass Effect, no way.

I have a Fallout fanfiction set in the TriState Wasteland - yes, where New York used to be before the 2077 apocalypse - and the main character is a female black chaotic do-gooder. While I haven't actually written the first chapter yet, I've known the tone of this game and all of its positive weirdness for years. Fans expect a lot from the industry! GTA V uses like, 300+ n bombs per quest. Mafia III is worse I hear and uses it in the Tarantino context. Fallout could use it without being taboo, I just don't see what'd be wrong.

But what do you think? Just know that I fully can't stand racism or folks thinking that they can earn the privilege to use the word. Epidemic and a half that white people laugh when they hear it. I blame 6ix9ine.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#2 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 5295 Posts

@sanghelle56:

I'm not easily offended. So yeah, I would still play Fallout if someone said the n word in it. People are just too sensitive these days.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8715 Posts

Bethesda Fall Out has its own problems, namely being trash.

But if the real question is "a new Fall Out game with the quality of something like The Outer Worlds using a sensitive slur?"

Sure, if it's used within a context that fits naturally into the game. To me it's the same as dropping any profanity. Can come across as flat if used poorly or just lazy writing but used correctly can impact a scene/ set-piece.

I don't care what loud vocal minorities are sensitive to honestly. "Current events" or otherwise.

Yet, the real matter is if it's an American developed game? you can bet they'll play the safe way like a good boy. They're overall sensitive on everything right now that's not gore. Embracing the whole "Woke" thing last I checked; even Mortal Kombat is very 'Woke' in 2019.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#4 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2109 Posts

Doesn't bother me.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 404 Posts

I wouldn't not play it but it wouldn't really make sense.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DaVillain-
Member since 2014 • 39071 Posts

I'm Black and the answer to this is yes, I'll play the game if it's a good game that is. Racial slurs never bother me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 36037 Posts

What's the new context? It can still be used as both a negative and positive. And that's what it comes down to really, context, be it serious or comical.

Like, when I watch Oz people are calling each other N's, F's, spi...chin... basically any slur you can dream up. But i'm big boy enough to know it's a show set in a dangerous prison and that's probably exactly how they would interact.

When it comes to a games, even the slightest hint of that and you're going to get barraged with outrage, because apparently we aren't big boys.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5179 Posts

I probably wouldn't play it because it's Fallout.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#9  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8715 Posts

Not to be smug about it, but_

Because no GD thread exists about it; just going to point out in this 'relevant' thread The Outer Worlds is being well reviewed, and heavily being compared to as a Fall Out game for the ages. Just as I predicted, while many here thought it would be mediocre at best.

It's D00M (IV) all over again folks.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6439 Posts

Saying the n-word just wouldn't make much sense in the Fallout universe.

But if it did make sense, and there was a context for it, I wouldn't be any more offended than I was by GTA V.

Personally I think it's a dumb word and I rarely/never use it except to ridicule people who do, I find its overuse mildly irritating.

Guntster22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Guntster22
Member since 2019 • 39 Posts

Would not concern me, though playing FO76 would.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 2410 Posts

no.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 903 Posts

I watch movies and listen to music that use the word, so I see no problem with playing games that use the word as well.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 21619 Posts

Unless the game is actively promoting racism in a positive light, I don't see why any word should be a deal breaker.