Would you consider DLC a mod?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

donut5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you consider DLC a mod? (14 votes)

Yes 43%
No 57%

Argument is going on right now.

• 
ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#1 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

Well if we're going by the strictest definition, then yes it is. It modifies the existing game by adding new content and therefore it is a mod(ification). But in the common parlance, we separate a mod (amatuer endeavor) from DLC (for-sale content by the developer) based on how we acquire them. So technically yes, but I still prefer the distinction.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Eh, I guess. They're much more limited than mods, though, and are therefore worse (along with the fact that they're generally paid for, while mods aren't).

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

I would say no. Additional content and DLC is not a "modification" of what defines the game (engine, assets). Mods, at least from what I've played on the PC, generally fundamentally change the way the game originally was intended to function, be it small or huge.

I suppose it could go either way. There are graphical mods, huge overhauls, that don't really change the game aside from superficial levels. But there are some that are entire game-changers. So yes and no, but I'd tend to go with "no" if we're speaking of simple DLC.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Meh... I always considered mods to be something that changes the actual game. For example the thousands of skyrim mods they have. But DLC kind of adds to the gameplay but not changes the original game. So to me its different but im sure people have theirs different views.

Deadlysyns87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Deadlysyns87
Member since 2012 • 502 Posts

It depends yes and no a DLC is part of the game and can influence the story overall those DLC's are not that bad. Assuming they have the content worth the price. now a skin DLC or a Car or something is just a cheap way to make a buck

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Well, if we take the pure definition of a mod, its modifying a existing game then yes a DLC is kinda a mod.

Buf if we got by what is understood by most gamers, than no a dlc is not considered a mod, since most of the content is in the game, its just a matter of unlocking it or adding it again.