Would You Be Surprised If War Games Removed Single Player?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Would You Be Surprised If War Games Removed Single Player? (5 votes)

Yes 40%
No 60%

Call of Duty already put options in their games if you want to be directed to the multiplayer menu rather than the single player menu in their games. The campaign in war games have gotten a lot shorter since the good ol' PS2/GC/XB days. I remember when Single Player for Call of Duty and Medal of Honor were awesome and took a while to beat. They weren't cutscene heavy back then either. I'm just going to stop before I lose myself in nostalgia and rant about how these type of games were "better" in my day. Don't want to sound like an Old Man Herbert telling his grandkids about old video games. If it happens this gen or the next, would you really be surprised if games like Call of Duty and Battlefield just wiped the SP Campaign completely and became a giant online First Person Shooter? Let's discuss.

• 
marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if they took it out for future Battlefields. Heck I would probably be happy. That game does not need singleplayer.

Cod on the other hand has always had a decent campaign imo so I would be surprised if they took it out.

Mag comes to mind as a game with no singleplayer and only multiplayer and it worked out very well. I miss that game.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

pissed off, yes. but not surprised.. sadly online mp has been on a crusade to ruin the gaming industry since it was first shat out with COD, unfortunately its inevitable that it will succeed cause there aren't enough gamers like myself anymore who'd rather just sit down and play a video game without an interwebs connection or everybody and they mama joining in, i'll never understand what these multi-addicts get out of that repetitive online crap, i've tried it hundreds of times and it bores me to sleep, but it hardly seems to matter since gamers like me are clearly the minority. first it will be all fps games then sp will disappear from everything, and of course then people like myself will be done with the whole thing for good, nobody ever said the gaming industry was fair, they're going to go where the money is and who can really blame them? they are a business after all and besides i still have my ps2 with enough games to keep me busy for many years to come, still sucks tho.. :(

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

I'd be surprised if they all removed them but having some FPS games without single player campaigns aren't exactly new. Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament didn't really have campaigns at all and those games are near 15 years old.

I'd imagine Call of Duty and Battlefield will keep their campaigns, even though they probably shouldn't, neither has had a decent campaign in a long time but they have such a large budget and the campaign makes for a good trailer I doubt they'll see the benefit in removing them. I can see smaller titles hoping to chip into the online multiplayer market just going without one, it's much cheaper to just have the multiplayer component if you can get away with it.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Games like Tomb Raider shouldn't have multiplayer since people only want the single player. Battlefield and COD should be the same way, except in reverse. People want the online, so get rid of the campaign.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

Few types of gamers are more annoying than those angry "NO GAME SHOULD EVER BE MULTIPLAYER ONLY" people. Stop complaining and play something else.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Actually i would be surprised because that would mean they would lose the people who are dumb enough to pay COD and BF for the single player.

But i really hope they do make it all mp only that way people can ask themself a great question "why the hell should i buy a game that is almost 100% identical to the one i already bought" And hopefully let their wallet stay in their pocket and go watch a movie with their GF

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I say let'em go for it. Ive killed more than enough people than I'm proud to admit. So yeah. Take it !

Wallyh08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Wallyh08
Member since 2008 • 535 Posts

Not at all

One of my favourite games of all time was Battlefield 1942 - online only!

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Without the single player then there is no reason to get the games. After all mp is just repetitive.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts
@barrybarryk said:

I'd be surprised if they all removed them but having some FPS games without single player campaigns aren't exactly new. Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament didn't really have campaigns at all and those games are near 15 years old.

I'd imagine Call of Duty and Battlefield will keep their campaigns, even though they probably shouldn't, neither has had a decent campaign in a long time but they have such a large budget and the campaign makes for a good trailer I doubt they'll see the benefit in removing them. I can see smaller titles hoping to chip into the online multiplayer market just going without one, it's much cheaper to just have the multiplayer component if you can get away with it.

I've never played Unreal Tournament but I remember Quake 3, Turok Rage Wars, and some other games that are similar still being able to be played in single player. I remember that there would be no story but you would be able to play against bots which is still cool since you don't need an internet connection for it. Call of Duty Ghosts brought this back with one of the game modes that is selectable on the main menu. Squads I think it was called. Something like that.

I also remember that Counter Strike was a MP only game. That game was more of a mod or addon to Half Life though.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

A bunch of shooters are already multiplayer only.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Actually i would be surprised because that would mean they would lose the people who are dumb enough to pay COD and BF for the single player.

But i really hope they do make it all mp only that way people can ask themself a great question "why the hell should i buy a game that is almost 100% identical to the one i already bought" And hopefully let their wallet stay in their pocket and go watch a movie with their GF

so just because someone would rather play an actual story "a REAL video game" rather than just running in circles like an idiot, firing at random people on the internet who are equally as stupid as they are, this makes them "dumb" ? i'm not sure you even understand the meaning of that word. this is why people hate you COD groupies, all you do is insult anyone who isn't as easily amused as you, its childish and annoying, get over yourself, not everyone thinks like you.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Of course I wouldn't be suprised. I've been saying this for years: single player is expensive to make and game companies have been eagerly awaiting for the moment when people no longer consider it a requisite for a good game and depressingly, that time has come. Just think how many millions they will save just by not having to program AI anymore, not to mention the writers, composers and actors they will no longer have to hire. It's their wet dream: make games with no production values and make more money.