Would you be able to accept an all handheld console future?

Avatar image for speeny
Speeny

2160

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

10

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

Poll: Would you be able to accept an all handheld console future? (21 votes)

Yes 29%
No 71%

I've made it a little trickier because even if you voted yes, you wouldn't be able to connect it up to a TV like you can do with some of the Switch models. Exclusively portable!

I've voted no because I like to be able to experience things on the big screen.

 • 
Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

8783

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 0

#1 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8783 Posts

Yes, and very easily.

3DS>Switch

Avatar image for Sevenizz
Sevenizz

4139

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 4139 Posts

No. While I enjoy some casual games on my phone, the Xbox is my main gaming platform and will continue to be.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

6504

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6504 Posts

Why not. If tech becomes so powerful phones could play witcher 3 or uncharted 4 at highest setting I am down for it.

Samsung has a program called Samsung Deck where it turns ur Galaxy S line to PC if connected to monitor. The future is not far away.

Avatar image for TJDMHEM
TJDMHEM

2717

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 2717 Posts

no.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

28975

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28975 Posts

Well I would still play games but I wouldn’t enjoy them quite as much without being able to play them on my tv. So I guess that would be a “yes” for me.

Avatar image for Ovirew
Ovirew

9234

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#8 Ovirew
Member since 2008 • 9234 Posts

I could very easily. I grew up with a Gameboy Pocket and its successors, and always was a fan of the handheld gaming experience. Now of course I do enjoy console gaming quite a bit as well, but I think if it were no longer an option that wouldn't phase me too terribly.

Avatar image for fractured_veil
Fractured_Veil

22

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9 Fractured_Veil
Member since 2018 • 22 Posts

Part of the problem with this question is that it forces you to imagine technology and ergonomics/controls that might not exist currently. There are some great handheld games and systems right now, but there are also games that just wouldn't work in that format. If the controls, ui, and system could seamlessly handle a game I'd certainly play it. I think there will always be games that look better on big screens though.

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

8783

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 0

#10 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8783 Posts
@fractured_veil said:

Part of the problem with this question is that it forces you to imagine technology and ergonomics/controls that might not exist currently. There are some great handheld games and systems right now, but there are also games that just wouldn't work in that format. If the controls, ui, and system could seamlessly handle a game I'd certainly play it. I think there will always be games that look better on big screens though.

I get seeing it as a philosophical quandary, though think it's a playful question about the "future", not the present.

As such a future 'if' all games worked on handheld and 'if' that was your only option; would you embrace it or not?

I personally would miss home gaming, but considering spend more time gaming on a handheld than not, would embrace it with ease.

It's a preference question really.

Avatar image for r-gamer
R-Gamer

1138

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#11 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 1138 Posts

No.. once you become an adult it"s pretty hard to play games on the go. Theres also no better experience then playing games on a 65 inch Oled with surround sound.

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

8783

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 0

#12 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8783 Posts
@r-gamer said:

No.. once you become an adult it"s pretty hard to play games on the go. Theres also no better experience then playing games on a 65 inch Oled with surround sound.

Impressive set-up yet don't think using the grown-up card has much weight and heavily involves 'what you do, and where you do it'

As someone who is also an adult, train is the most efficient and reliable method of travel from work/ home. And thus handhelds become a standard to that in-between time.

Plus I use ATH-M40X headphones; because I too am a person who appreciates quality ツ

Avatar image for pyro1245
pyro1245

5563

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#13 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 5563 Posts

No I don't like handheld gaming. A the very least they need a way to output to a TV. Just like the Switch. The Switch is the very least.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

39357

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#14 DaVillain-  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 39357 Posts

As long as it's optional to play it on the big screen that has similarities of the Switch docking, I'll gladly except all major consoles turn into handhelds. And besides, my PC will be the main gaming machine that acts like a console but only better.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
robert_sparkes

3520

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#15 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 3520 Posts

I've always preferred the bigger screen on most games. There should always be an option to output on tv.

Avatar image for r-gamer
R-Gamer

1138

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#16 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 1138 Posts

@RSM-HQ: Yea trains aren't used much where I live. I drive about 95% of the time where I'm going. It certainly would depend on your lifestyle though. I'm also not crazy about being completely oblivious to my surroundings when I'm in public. It's hard for me to focus on a game when I'm surrounded by people. I will say the Switch has been very handy when I travel. But even then I find myself hooking it up to the TV in the hotel room most the time.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

39357

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#17 DaVillain-  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 39357 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:
@r-gamer said:

No.. once you become an adult it"s pretty hard to play games on the go. Theres also no better experience then playing games on a 65 inch Oled with surround sound.

Impressive set-up yet don't think using the grown-up card has much weight and heavily involves 'what you do, and where you do it'

As someone who is also an adult, train is the most efficient and reliable method of travel from work/ home. And thus handhelds become a standard to that in-between time.

Plus I use ATH-M40X headphones; because I too am a person who appreciates quality ツ

Despite I could always drive myself to Work, I live in a very populated city, I always take the train to work/home and I do in fact always play my handheld games on the go, including my Switch thus gets way more gameplay enjoyments and I hardly play it at home. I have a family, I'm a grown ass man who happens to play his handhelds on the go.

And nobody can't tell me nothing :)

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

8783

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 0

#18 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8783 Posts
@davillain- said:

Despite I could always drive myself to Work, I live in a very populated city, I always take the train to work/home and I do in fact always play my handheld games on the go, including my Switch thus gets way more gameplay enjoyments and I hardly play it at home.

I too am in a very busy (and loud) city, as such it comes with the quaintness of never standing-out. Thus carrying around a handheld with headphones is hardily uncommon. I know @r-gamer has a good point in being ignorant to surroundings, though depending on how you travel it's better not to bring attention to yourself. If I'm not gaming, I'm reading a book. And like yourself at home would prefer to use either my PS4 or P.C., haven't used my Switch docked since Splatoon 2 was released.

And nobody can't tell me nothing :)

Hehe, how it really works on a gaming forum_

Avatar image for heathen75
HEATHEN75

932

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#19 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 932 Posts

Hell no. Not big on handheld gaming. Have never played a game on my phone. Just doesn't interest me.

Avatar image for poarstman
Poarstman

79

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#20 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 79 Posts

It doesn't really matter that much which platform I play on to be honest so their's no bias from me...I can still go out of my way too create my own hardcore experiance regardless just provide me the library for that system and I'll go from there