Worst games in each genre + platform

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

The other topic was inexplicably closed despite being less than 6 months old, and it took me a while to compile my list so here's a new thread!

-

It's easy to say ET is probably the worst thing ever made but i've never played it so am not including it. Try to stick with games you've played, rather than what you've heard.

Worst in each genre:

• RPG = Eternal Ring (PS2)
  • FPS = Warhammer 40000: Fire Warrior (PC)
  • Strategy = Wartorn (PC)
  • Driving = Hot Wired (PC)
  • Puzzle = Bridge-It (CPC464)
  • Space/Flight = Combat Lynx (CPC464)
  • Sports = Sega Bass Fishing (PC)
  • 3PS = Reign of Fire (PS2)
  • Adventure = Lula 3D (PC)
  • Platformer = Roland in the Caves (CPC464)
  • Shooter = Dan Dare 2 (CPC464)
  • Fighting = Rise of the Robots (PC)
  • MMO = Second Life (PC)

-

Worst on each platform:

• PC = Lula 3D
  • PS1 = Bubsy 3D
  • CPC = Bridge-It
  • PS2 = Eternal Ring

Yes, i have played "Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing" on PC, but that's so bad that it has a charm, if that makes sense. It's funny-bad, not horrible-bad.

-

I'd have to say that the flat-out worst game i've ever played is "Bridge-It" on the CPC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kXr2814m30

Not only is it a terrible idea, frustrating and boring, it was also buggy and sometimes didn't load properly. So parts of some levels were strewn randomly around the screen.

con_matrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 con_matrix
Member since 2008 • 200 Posts
  • RPG = Two Worlds (Xbox 360)
  • FPS = Black (PS2)
  • Strategy = Endwar (PC)
  • Driving = WWE Crush Hour (PS2)
  • Puzzle = Zoo Cube (PS2)
  • Sports = Football Superstars (PC)
  • 3PS = Terminator Salvation (Xbox 360)
  • Adventure = Driv3r (PS2)
  • Platformer = Ms Splosion Man (Xbox 360)
  • Fighting = Fighting Fury (PS2)
  • MMO = Football Superstars (PC)
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#3 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

well I don't know about the absolute worst on each system ,  I can really only speak about the games that I have have or at least played on some systems.

Master System - Donald Duck : Lucky Dime Caper (I can't stand the controls in the game)

Mega Drive -  Flicky (one of those "wtf??" kind of games that get boring after about 5 seconds

Mega CD - I can't really think of a bad game I own for it, but then I only have a few games for the MCD (I suppose the worst would be Sol Feace, but its not a bad game as such, just kind of dull

3DO -  Sewer Shark  (just because it looks better than the Mega CD version , doesn't matter, it still sucks)

Saturn -  Dragonball Z Shin Butouden , seriously the game is awful , crappy controls, dull characters and visuals (it uses the same sprites as Ultimate 22 on the PS1), there is another DBZ game on the Saturn called Idainaru Dragonball Densetsu , which is arguably worse.

PS1 -  Rainbow Six  , the PC game was good, but the PS1 version was chopped up pretty badly, makes the game pretty dull (that and it doesn't look too great either, even by PS1 standards)

N64 - Fighters Destiny , not a terrible game by any means, but I personally find it to be slow, boring and frankly not very good looking either (I was tempted to put Mace the Dark Age here instead ,  but its got the occasional quality to it)

Dreamcast -   can't think of a really bad DC game,  I suppose I could put games like Tomb Raider or even RE2 and 3 , simply because of the lack of effort that went into them , they look and play like PS1 games on steroids (typically they are the PC versions) , when the standard for the DC was much more

I will have to think about the newer consoles

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AcidThunder
Member since 2010 • 2332 Posts

FPS -  Operation Matriarchy (PC)
Driving - Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing (PC)

Dexter-010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Dexter-010
Member since 2011 • 494 Posts
All for Xbox360 FPS = Medal of Honor: Tier One Driving = Need For Speed: Shift Sports = UFC 2009 3PS = Spec. Ops: The Line Fighting = Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

...Darkman2007

Your list is awful, Lucky Dime Caper is one of the best platformers on SMS, and the N64 library is filled to the brim with fighting games that are considerably worse than Fighters Destiny and Mace, you can literally win Dual Heroes by tapping the A Button ffs! Clayfighter is horrible, Gasp was horrible, War Gods was like Mace only worse in just about all aspects etc, I'd say that Dark Rift was worse as well.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Mega CD - I can't really think of a bad game I own for it, but then I only have a few games for the MCD (I suppose the worst would be Sol Feace, but its not a bad game as such, just kind of dull

Darkman2007

Come on, I'm sure you can think of a bad game on this system. (And no, I wouldn't consider Sol-Feace a bad game, either.) There were plenty of terrible FMV-based games with crappy acting, crappy writing, crappy special effects, and nearly all of them had terrible video quality.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 silent_bomber

Come on, I'm sure you can think of a bad game on this system. (And no, I wouldn't consider Sol-Feace a bad game, either.) There were plenty of terrible FMV-based games with crappy acting, crappy writing, crappy special effects, and nearly all of them had terrible video quality.Emerald_Warrior

I think he must've been very tired, or drunk when he made that list tbh.

I mean he says he can't think of a bad Mega CD game, and about 5 seconds later he lists Sewer Shark for the 3DO, and mentions that the Mega CD version is worse!

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
I know one thing, as a child I remember playing this game called Drakken on the SNES and I thought it was the worst game in the history of mankind.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]...Domino_slayer

Your list is awful, Lucky Dime Caper is one of the best platformers on SMS, and the N64 library is filled to the brim with fighting games that are considerably worse than Fighters Destiny and Mace, you can literally win Dual Heroes by tapping the A Button ffs! Clayfighter is horrible, Gasp was horrible, War Gods was like Mace only worse in just about all aspects etc, I'd say that Dark Rift was worse as well.

well , if you and Emerald actually bothered reading what I wrote (a basic skill one learns at school) , I wrote that I can only really write about the games I own and played for at least a decent amount of time, and based on the rather limited library I have for the Mega CD , yeah , Id say Sol Feace is the worst game I own for it,. as for N64, Im sure Clayfighter might be worse, but I don't have it, the only fighting games I have on N64 , thats MK4 , Fighters Destiny , Mace , Rakuga Kids , KIGold, and out of those, I think Fighters Destiny is the worst, it bores to no end, so I said it was the worse as far as what I own. as for Sewer Shark on 3DO , yeah , I don't have it on MCD, so I can't really list it since it contradicts my first statement, Im aware the MCD version is worse in video quality (don't even need to own it, every youtube video can show that), but since I don't have it on MCD, Im not going to say much about it. about the only thing I would change would be the N64 entry to Superman 64 , because I actually did get to play that game for a while, enough for me to see its a horrid game but you see , I actually want to play games before I talk about them , because , you know, talking about games Ive never played (at least for more than a few minutes) would be hypocritical and quite honestly, dumb , Ive seen enough "worst games lists" by people who alot of the time never played those games, and simply heard they were bad (wheter thats through the AVGN or some other review or publication) , and those lists have very little credibility in my eyes. so please , read all of the info (heck , the first line) , before getting oh so upset I didn't pick your worst games.
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silent_bomber

I wrote that I can only really write about the games I own and played for at least a decent amount of timeDarkman2007

In my opinion if you don't have the knowledge to even list bad games then you shouldn't be posting in this thread in the first place.

"I only own Banjo Kazooie, and Mario 64 on N64 an I think Mario 64 is worse so I'm gonna put Mario 64 down as the worst platformer on N64"

;)

Not that I really wanted to single you out, there was lot of other ridiculous stuff mentioned in this thread anyway.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]I wrote that I can only really write about the games I own and played for at least a decent amount of timeDomino_slayer

In my opinion if you don't have the knowledge to even list bad games then you shouldn't be posting in this thread in the first place.

"I only own Banjo Kazooie, and Mario 64 on N64 an I think Mario 64 is worse so I'm gonna put Mario 64 down as the worst platformer on N64"

;)

Not that I really wanted to single you out, there was lot of other ridiculous stuff mentioned in this thread anyway.

youre going from one extreme to another, and thats just as dumb as the previous statement. no I do not own every N64 game made, not even close, but comparing me to someone who only owns 2 games for the system is silly, I have around 37 or so games for it, which is more than most quite frankly, so yes, I think i do have some experience with the system , just because I didn't post the games you didn't like, doesn't mean I don't necessarily know what Im talking about.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Darkman2007

also I never said it was the worst, just the worst I own, so a bit of a mistake on your part.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 silent_bomber

youre going from one extreme to anotherDarkman2007

No I just copied what you did, word for word.

You just listed your fighting games, outside of SSB you literally only own the five best fighting games on the N64

no I do not own every N64 game made, not even close, but comparing me to someone who only owns 2 games for the system is sillyDarkman2007

I compared you to someone who owned only two N64 platform games, I could've just as easily put Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Rayman 2, Conkers BFD into the equation, which would then bring it up level with your 5 fighting game ownership.

So, in a pure like for like comparison -

"I only own Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Rayman 2, Conkers BFD, Mario 64 is my least favourite so Mario 64 is the worst platform game on the N64"

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]youre going from one extreme to anotherDomino_slayer

No I just copied what you did, word for word.

You just listed your fighting games, outside of SSB you literally only own the five best fighting games on the N64

no I do not own every N64 game made, not even close, but comparing me to someone who only owns 2 games for the system is sillyDarkman2007

I compared you to someone who owned only two N64 platform games, I could've just as easily put Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Rayman 2, Conkers BFD into the equation, which would then bring it up level with your 5 fighting game ownership.

So, in a pure like for like comparison -

"I only own Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Rayman 2, Conkers BFD, Mario 64 is my least favourite so Mario 64 is the worst platform game on the N64"

and again youre ignoring the simple fact that I said it was only from the games I own , wheter you like that list or not, is something else and if Mace is seen as some of the best on the N64 in terms of fighting, then we are in deep trouble.
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 silent_bomber

and again youre ignoring the simple fact that I said it was only from the games I ownDarkman2007

Again, if you own nothing but games people have recommended to you, then you have absolutely zero knowledge of the worst games on N64, none at all, you're in no position to be commenting on anything.

if Mace is seen as some of the best on the N64 in terms of fighting, then we are in deep trouble.Darkman2007

Yes, everybody knows the N64 is weak for fighting games, outside of SSB you own ever single fighting game on N64 which scored an average of 7/10 or higher (heck I think Killer Instinct Gold had loads of 6.5s).

BTW how did you find Rakuga Kids in the end? and are you playing on NTSC or are you playing it slow?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]and again youre ignoring the simple fact that I said it was only from the games I ownDomino_slayer

Again, if you own nothing but games people have recommended to you, then you have absolutely zero knowledge of the worst games on N64, none at all, you're in no position to be commenting on anything.

if Mace is seen as some of the best on the N64 in terms of fighting, then we are in deep trouble.Darkman2007

Yes, everybody knows the N64 is weak for fighting games, outside of SSB you own ever single fighting game on N64 which scored an average of 7/10 or higher (heck I think Killer Instinct Gold had loads of 6.5s).

BTW how did you find Rakuga Kids in the end? and are you playing on NTSC or are you playing it slow?

its not a matter of people recommending me anything as such , alot of the time its more just me seeing videos of it, reading about the game and deciding that way. but thats the point, I talk about the games I know about, not the ones I don't , I made that quite clear, would you rather I just started mentioning games I heard about? and I do not own SSB, I did play it for quite a while , both in single and multiplayer, before deciding its not for me. as for Rakuga Kids, its decent though its no Street Fighter obviously (at least contemporary SF of the time), and Im playing the PAL version
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 silent_bomber

Rakuga Kids, its decent though its no Street Fighter obviously (at least contemporary SF of the time), and Im playing the PAL version Darkman2007

I found the PAL version a little slow, I was happy to find it played a little better on NTSC due to the added speed boost.

I like the game, I think it does just enough gameplay wise to be respectable for its time, and I think the game has some charm with its characters and animation, it wasn't a 9/10 for sure but I think I would've scored it 7.5/10 - 8/10 depending on my mood at the time.

Though I would probably give most of Capcom's fighters 9/10

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Can't say if it's the "worst" but Race Drivin' on SNES had a really terrible framerate and was near to unplaylable.

Perhaps that framerate would be acceptable on a 8-bit system like the Spectrum ZX but on the SNES it clearly wasn't. (even with it's limited 3D capabilities)

The SNES version should have either not used polygons or used the SFX chip.

thecrypticodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20 thecrypticodor
Member since 2012 • 240 Posts

Survival Horror - Countdown Vampires

Sports - Powerbar Extreme Rock Climbing

FPS Extreme Paint Brawl

Action/adventure - Aquaman Battle for Atlantis

Fighting Xenophage Alien Bloodsport 

Third Person Shooter Spec Ops Stealth Patrol

Beat' em up - Batman Beyond Return of the Joker

RPG Have to agree with OP Eternal Ring that was the first fracking game I got for the PS2 :(

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Beat' em up - Batman Beyond Return of the Joker

thecrypticodor

I haven't played the N64 version. But the Game Boy Color version is actually one of the better games made for Game Boy Color that's not made by Nintendo.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#22 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
FPS = Black (PS2)con_matrix
What? D: Black was one of the better FPS's on the PS2 imo. What do you find so bad about it?
con_matrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 con_matrix
Member since 2008 • 200 Posts

[QUOTE="con_matrix"]FPS = Black (PS2)Dudersaper
What? D: Black was one of the better FPS's on the PS2 imo. What do you find so bad about it?

I can't even remember it properly tbh, I remember it just seeming really average and unoriginal. I should probably try playing it again.