Worst Consoles Ever

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by snakes3425 (1508 posts) -

What do you consider the worst consoles ever made?

#2 Posted by FireEmbIem (197 posts) -

The worst console ever made has to be the Apple Pippin. :P

The worst system I ever owned was the Gameboy color. I never really enjoyed many games on it.

#3 Posted by Rigga911 (2429 posts) -
the worst ive played was the atari
#4 Posted by Ghardon (310 posts) -

As much as I loved it when it came out,

in retrospect I would have to nominate the Sega CD.

I still love Sewer Shark though, for reasons incomprehensible to me.

#6 Posted by Xeros606 (11126 posts) -

The worst system I ever owned was the Gameboy color. I never really enjoyed many games on it.

FireEmbIem

:shock: bu...bu...but what about teh pokemans?

#7 Posted by jmdude (2521 posts) -

Dreamcast(looks like a copy of PS1). and Gamecube(though i like the games, the controller is bad):evil:

70% cow 30% sheep 0% lemming

#8 Posted by Ghardon (310 posts) -

id have to go with the game gear, its like a brick.

Xeros606

Oh man I have so many fond memories playing Sonic on that thing. I also had the adapter to play Master System games on it.

My Game Gear finally died on me over summer '07 though :(

EDIT: jmdude, did you even own a DC? Thing was phenominal when it came out - it was just sort of stuck between two generations and never found an audience.

#9 Posted by Xeros606 (11126 posts) -
[QUOTE="Xeros606"]

Ghardon

Oh man I have so many fond memories playing Sonic on that thing. I also had the adapter to play Master System games on it.

is your sig supposed to be funny?

#10 Posted by jmdude (2521 posts) -

FireEmbIem
Poor you, i bet you never played Pokemon on your game boy color...
#11 Posted by Requem (539 posts) -

I'd say ps1.

Never enjoyed a game other than FF games on it.Also Xbox is pretty bad too.Although I don't have one, I have played some games at my friends and never ever liked one.Xbox-360 kinda ok though.

#12 Posted by jmdude (2521 posts) -
[QUOTE="Xeros606"]

Ghardon

EDIT: jmdude, did you even own a DC? Thing was phenominal when it came out - it was just sort of stuck between two generations and never found an audience.

I may not own but already played one. Visited my friend who has DC (well, a long time ago). lotsa games, for me almost all of it is bad. That's why i put Dreamcast on my post.
#13 Posted by Ghardon (310 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ghardon"][QUOTE="Xeros606"]

Xeros606

is your sig supposed to be funny?

Uh.

Well, yeah I guess so.

It was sort of a "you had to be there" thing - it's related to this thread:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25976652

Why, do you write for them or something?

Avatar image for AddictedGamer50
#14 Posted by AddictedGamer50 (541 posts) -

Probably Gameboy Advanced, all the good Gameboy games came out for the SP!

Go to my blog and vote on the yes or no question: Should there be a Super Smash Bros. DS???!!!

#15 Posted by guitarman89 (1485 posts) -
I never played it, but I heard that the Virtual Boy was really awful. I think it was discontinued after so long...but of the consoles I've played, I would say that either the GameCube or PS1 was the worst. (Even though I love Nintendo, the Cube just blew imo)
#16 Posted by Ghardon (310 posts) -

AddictedGamer50

I uh. What?

You know that the SP is a GBA, right? They're the same system.

#17 Posted by ratchet3 (7870 posts) -

Go to my blog and vote on the yes or no question: Should there be a Super Smash Bros. DS???!!!

AddictedGamer50

Isn't the Advance the same as the SP??? am I mixing up the names or something?

#18 Posted by MAILER_DAEMON (45906 posts) -
[QUOTE="AddictedGamer50"]

ratchet3

Isn't the Advance the same as the SP??? am I mixing up the names or something?

The Advance SP is to the Advance as the DS Lite is to the DS. I'm not sure what this guy's talking about, plus he's advertising his blog. :?
#19 Posted by BlackIsle_rip (1183 posts) -

Playstation
Playstation 2
Playstation 3

.... Just kidding. :P (but I do wish Nintendo had been able to keep up)

Probably the Sega Saturn, purely and simply because as the sequel to the MegaDrive it flat out sucked.

#20 Posted by FireEmbIem (197 posts) -
[QUOTE="FireEmbIem"]

jmdude

Sorry. I've never been a fan of the Pokemon series; it's far too repetitive. I can tell that you like Pokemon alot, though.

#21 Posted by jmdude (2521 posts) -
[QUOTE="jmdude"][QUOTE="FireEmbIem"]

FireEmbIem

Sorry. I've never been a fan of the Pokemon series; it's far too repetitive. I can tell that you like Pokemon alot, though.

Everything from the videogames, to the TV show to the trading card game...I've played, watched and collected ever since, i don't know maybe a long time ago...:D
#22 Posted by Ghardon (310 posts) -

Everything from the videogames, to the TV show to the trading card game...I've played, watched and collected ever since, i don't know maybe a long time ago...:Djmdude

I honestly wish I still loved Pokemon as much as I did when it started (we used to literally smuggle the cards into school and trade in secret on the playground - we were cutting edge or something). But I'm afraid the series lost its magic some time ago, for me anyway.

The show was sort of my gateway to anime, though, which I guess is both good and bad.

#23 Posted by FamiBox (5481 posts) -

Here's some:

#24 Posted by jmdude (2521 posts) -

[QUOTE="jmdude"]Everything from the videogames, to the TV show to the trading card game...I've played, watched and collected ever since, i don't know maybe a long time ago...:DGhardon

I honestly wish I still loved Pokemon as much as I did when it started (we used to literally smuggle the cards into school and trade in secret on the playground - we were cutting edge or something). But I'm afraid the series lost its magic some time ago, for me anyway.

The show was sort of my gateway to anime, though, which I guess is both good and bad.

I agree with you, only a little plays Pokemon-TCGs lately. For some reason yugioh is very popular here in the philippines. Even my friends play yugioh tcg, i'm the only one not playing it. I have a japanese friend living here and he said that pokemon is not popular anymore in japan. What you can see from japanese people are toy robots(high-tech) and video games.
#25 Posted by Ghardon (310 posts) -

I agree with you, only a little plays Pokemon-TCGs lately. For some reason yugioh is very popular here in the philippines. Even my friends play yugioh tcg. I have a japanese friend living here and he said that pokemon is not popular in japan. What you can see from japanese people are toy robots(high-tech) and video games.jmdude

I'm sad to see kids getting into Yugioh here... I mean, it has the same general purpose as Pokemon (i.e., sell cards to kids), but it's got no heart. Pokemon might have been a giant money vacuum but at least it was original and fun.

Also: dude I totally have two good friends from the Philippines! Well, technically they're from here in the States and they're back in the US now, but they moved there before middle school. That was my barely-relevant comment for the day.

#26 Posted by -supercharged- (5820 posts) -

Amstrad GX4000

Phillips CD-i

Apple Pippen

Atari Jaguar

Nintendo Gamecube

Evo: Phase One

#27 Posted by jmdude (2521 posts) -

[QUOTE="jmdude"] I agree with you, only a little plays Pokemon-TCGs lately. For some reason yugioh is very popular here in the philippines. Even my friends play yugioh tcg. I have a japanese friend living here and he said that pokemon is not popular in japan. What you can see from japanese people are toy robots(high-tech) and video games.Ghardon

I'm sad to see kids getting into Yugioh here... I mean, it has the same general purpose as Pokemon (i.e., sell cards to kids), but it's got no heart. Pokemon might have been a giant money vacuum but at least it was original and fun.

Also: dude I totally have two good friends from the Philippines! Well, technically they're from here in the States and they're back in the US now, but they moved there before middle school. That was my barely-relevant comment for the day.

I don't like yugioh... Oh, and which came first yugioh or pokemon? A lot of filipinos going abroad lately, just to help their family rise from poverty. Good to know that you have Filipino friends.
#28 Posted by Ghardon (310 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ghardon"]

[QUOTE="jmdude"] I agree with you, only a little plays Pokemon-TCGs lately. For some reason yugioh is very popular here in the philippines. Even my friends play yugioh tcg. I have a japanese friend living here and he said that pokemon is not popular in japan. What you can see from japanese people are toy robots(high-tech) and video games.jmdude

I don't like yugioh... Oh, and which came first yugioh or pokemon? A lot of filipinos going abroad lately, just to help their family rise from poverty. Good to know that you have Filipino friends.

Pokemon came first.

I am glad that my friends are in the US for college now - it was much harder to IM or play games online with them when they were in Manila. The 12-hour time difference was pretty hard to deal with.

#29 Posted by BlackIsle_rip (1183 posts) -

Nintendo Gamecube

-supercharged-

Gamecube was alright imo. Resident Evil 4 was exclusive for several months, Wind Waker was one of the best games last gen, Super Smash Bros Melee is my all time favorite multiplayer game, and the Metroid Prime games where awesome. Killer 7, Eternal Darkness, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, and some good JRPG releases.

#30 Posted by wildcat2000 (4499 posts) -

Well I wouldnt say it had horrible games,I have one and I have a handful of favorites for it...but Id say...

the N64.

For startes,because it was cart based and running 3D graphics every game looked kinda muddy and blurred when close to objects.

Second the controler was uncompfortable...the fact that the analog stick was in the middle forced your hands to be squeezed together,the Gamecube pad was much better.

#31 Posted by jmdude (2521 posts) -
[QUOTE="jmdude"][QUOTE="Ghardon"]

[QUOTE="jmdude"] I agree with you, only a little plays Pokemon-TCGs lately. For some reason yugioh is very popular here in the philippines. Even my friends play yugioh tcg. I have a japanese friend living here and he said that pokemon is not popular in japan. What you can see from japanese people are toy robots(high-tech) and video games.Ghardon

Pokemon came first.

I am glad that my friends are in the US for college now - it was much harder to IM or play games online with them when they were in Manila. The 12-hour time difference was pretty hard to deal with.

One more thing, internet is slower here than in the US. I've experienced that because i just went on a vacation together w/ my family to US and Canada, internet is fast there. First time i played PS3, i was in my cousin's house in Canada, played warhawk nonstop w/o any problems in the connection. The connection here is frequently cut when i'm surfing the net or playing online.
#32 Posted by Kage1 (6790 posts) -

Intellivision- Yes I have one.

Sega CD- I know it's an add on to the Genny, but it was crap.

N64- Didnt like the controller, and I wasnt interested in any of the games.

Xbox360 - Lord of the Red Rings.

#33 Posted by BlackIsle_rip (1183 posts) -

Kage1

You didn't like the controller that revolutionised 3D? You do realize that N64 introduced the analogue stick in gaming?

#34 Posted by whoozwah (5298 posts) -

Playstation
Playstation 2
Playstation 3

.... Just kidding. :P (but I do wish Nintendo had been able to keep up)

Probably the Sega Saturn, purely and simply because as the sequel to the MegaDrive it flat out sucked.

BlackIsle_rip
0.o the Saturn? Care to explain?
#35 Posted by Ghardon (310 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kage1"]

BlackIsle_rip

You didn't like the controller that revolutionised 3D? You do realize that N64 introduced the analogue stick in gaming?

I doubt the validity of this statement - lots of machines, including the Atari had an analog joystick. I also hated the N64's controller, but then I also never much cared for the games either.

Color me unusual.

Also, to jmdude: that sucks about your Internet connection - could it be because most servers are overseas, or do you have the same problem connecting to sites hosted near you as well?

#36 Posted by whoozwah (5298 posts) -
AFAIK the N64 controller and the Saturn's 3D controller that came packed with NiGHTS into Dreams were released within weeks of each other. I believe Ninty got it out first though.
#37 Posted by jmdude (2521 posts) -
[QUOTE="BlackIsle_rip"][QUOTE="Kage1"]

Ghardon

I doubt the validity of this statement - lots of machines, including the Atari had an analog joystick. I also hated the N64's controller, but then I also never much cared for the games either.

Color me unusual.

Also, to jmdude: that sucks about your Internet connection - could it be because most servers are overseas, or do you have the same problem connecting to sites hosted near you as well?

don't know. I have wireless broadband internet connection. And i always find it difficult to connect to the internet using the desktop, for the internet to work i have to restart. Using the laptop is easier to connect. Is there a problem with my desktop PC?
#38 Posted by Flame_Blade88 (39348 posts) -
3DO, Jaguar. I never owned them but those were some big flops lol
#39 Posted by jjr10 (5880 posts) -

Playstation 1... not really that much of a fan.

I'm not sure why..

#40 Posted by Vampyronight (3933 posts) -
The Gamecube is the worst that I've owned. It had the worst controller for multiplats and its exclusives just weren't that good in my opinion.
#41 Posted by BlackIsle_rip (1183 posts) -
[QUOTE="BlackIsle_rip"][QUOTE="Kage1"]

Ghardon

The Atari analogue stick didn't self center, but I do stand corrected. N64 set the standard for Analogue Sticks I should say.

#42 Posted by spanky333 (885 posts) -

My old Coleco Gemini had the best of intensions with a joystick/paddle combo in one controller.. sadly the joystick had this hard plastic grip on it that felt like a serated knife on your fingers!

I had this game about the olympics where you had to wiggle the stick back and forth as fast as you could for all the games, and by the end your fingers were seriously gushing blood.

Other than that I have been happy with all of my consoles.

Well ok Sega CD was kind of stupid, but I am with the guy who digs Sewer Shark. *shrug*

#43 Posted by -supercharged- (5820 posts) -
[QUOTE="-supercharged-"]

Nintendo Gamecube

BlackIsle_rip

Gamecube was alright imo. Resident Evil 4 was exclusive for several months, Wind Waker was one of the best games last gen, Super Smash Bros Melee is my all time favorite multiplayer game, and the Metroid Prime games where awesome. Killer 7, Eternal Darkness, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, and some good JRPG releases.

The gamecube had some decent games but overall the system was pretty bad. I hated the controller design, system design, very limited online with warp pipe, and very poor 3rd party support.

#44 Posted by Mike1978Smith (2012 posts) -
I can't really say which one was the WORSTE, because I've never bought a bad system. If I had to guess, I would probably go with the 3DO.
#45 Posted by drgoth2006 (449 posts) -

Dreamcast(looks like a copy of PS1). and Gamecube(though i like the games, the controller is bad):evil:

70% cow 30% sheep 0% lemming

jmdude

heracy!!!!!!!!! Dreamcast was amazing!!!! GC was pretty damn good!

#46 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24512 posts) -

Intellivision - Worst controller that has ever existed and the systems were so poorly constructed that the returns almost bankrupted Mattel if it wasn't for the sudden arrival of the He-Man franchise.

Jaguar - I didn't get too much playtime on this "classic" system but what I did get under my belt was some very painful memories. Second worst controller ever.

N64 - A few great games can't disguise the fact that a huge majority of the games for this system were just plain awful making it consistently difficult to find a game that was playable. Deciding to stick with a cartridge system will go down in history as one of the worst decisions Nintendo has ever made. Third worst controller ever.

#47 Posted by garey017 (1725 posts) -

Among a slew of other problems, the Virtual Boy was known to cause headaches and seizures after playing for just a short time. It also possibly caused eye strain and eye problems, and had monochromatic graphics. I don't think any system can top that, no matter how crappy the games are.

#48 Posted by xxxMoreBeerxxx (993 posts) -

Virtual Boy

Atari Jaquar

Sega 32X

Sega CD

Its tough to decide which one of those $uck$ the most.

#49 Posted by halo2_4_pc (1561 posts) -

Dreamcast

jmdude

Do you know what a Dreamcast is?????

Worst system = Sega Master System

#50 Posted by loopy_101 (28044 posts) -
[QUOTE="jmdude"]

Dreamcast

halo2_4_pc

Do you know what a Dreamcast is?????

Worst system = Sega Master System

I was thinking the same thing.