Worse NES game ever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

renomakiGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 renomakiGS
Member since 2010 • 60 Posts
Have you ever come across a NES game at some flea market or on some emulator site, and thought it looked good until you started playing? I bet a lot of you had this happen. I know it happened to me, not just on the NES, but on other gaming platforms as well! One game I know that really sucked was this game called The Adventures of Captain Comic, which is this weird game that is just plain un-winnable. Like, say there is a alien crawling along the ground. For some reason, no matter how hard you try, you can't hit the freak, and at times, you have no choice but to get hit. It's stupid and unfair. I would say more, but I think I would save that for a review I might do, if I can find the game somewhere on this site. Anyways, what about you? Any sucky games for the NES you played that, well, sucked?
DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts
Milon's Secret Castle. It looks fun and happy until you start playing and realize it's impossible without a guide right next to you 100% of the game. Where's the fun in that?
Lynx777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lynx777
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts
Hydlide is absolutely terrible.
To_Ashes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 To_Ashes
Member since 2006 • 549 Posts

I remember being younger and at a friends house and I played the NES game Dick Tracy... I thought it looked cool from a what I saw... But when I played it I just couldn't bare the controls... After 20 minutes, I switched to Mario. ^^

camarowu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 camarowu
Member since 2005 • 412 Posts

In honor of Friday the 13th I'm going to say Friday the 13th.

Saving the kids is more of a chore than it is fun.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

the first level of yo noid! is fun but the rest of the game is awful..

CHOVI3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#7 CHOVI3
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts

There are many bad NES games, but I don't think I've ever played one...

SauceCaptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SauceCaptain
Member since 2004 • 1273 Posts

Home Alone 2. Most difficult game on the system mostly because it was designed poorly. Every three seconds something would come out of nowhere and strangle you to death. I thought they couldn't violently murder children in video games? Anyway if you ever see a copy it's almost worth booting it up just for the novelty of how bad it is. It even came out near the end of the NES life cycle and it looks like a 2600 game. = POOP

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Action 52. Although I already knew it was junk.

SelVis52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SelVis52
Member since 2010 • 91 Posts

ThePlothole
Never played A52, but judging by AVGN's review it looks like one, if not the worst game on the system.
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#11 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
Action 52. That reeks of !#@%. I wrote a review some time ago on pretty much every reason why it's that awful. And please, even if you get curious, do not play it if you haven't already.
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#12 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Ikari Warriors. Dreadful controls. That goes for just about any other copy of that series as well.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#13 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Probably Silver Surfer.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Action 52. That reeks of !#@%. I wrote a review some time ago on pretty much every reason why it's that awful. And please, even if you get curious, do not play it if you haven't already.aryoshi

You know I want to play it myself. Everything is awfulinterests me. I don't know why.

metswonin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 metswonin69
Member since 2006 • 1083 Posts

In honor of Friday the 13th I'm going to say Friday the 13th.

Saving the kids is more of a chore than it is fun.

camarowu
I am actually a pretty big fan of that game.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

For me it's Castlevania II: Simon Quest. There are probably much worse NES titles, but Simon's Quest was the worst I played.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
^ I loved Simon's Quest. I thought it was the best one of the original NES Castlevania games, because it was more RPG-ish. I think the worst NES game ever has to be Conan. That game is unplayable, plain and simple. I think they completely bypassed the testing stage of development on that game. The controls are horrendous. The graphics look like an old Atari game, yet the game was released fairly late in the NES's lifespan. And to top it off, the enemies appear so freaking randomly. There is no rhyme or reason behind it. They just pop up everywhere and fly towards you. You think you're okay to jump and then POOF!, there's an enemy suddenly in front of you mid-jump and you're screwed. And there's no pattern to wait for, it's completely random. I was really excited when I first got it back in the day, too. Because I loved the movies as a kid, and I read the comics from my dad's comic collection. I also mowed lawns around my neighborhood for money, so mommy didn't buy it for me. What a disappointment and waste of hard earned money that day was.
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#18 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts

[QUOTE="aryoshi"]Action 52. That reeks of !#@%. I wrote a review some time ago on pretty much every reason why it's that awful. And please, even if you get curious, do not play it if you haven't already.chris3116

You know I want to play it myself. Everything is awfulinterests me. I don't know why.

Make sure you take some asprin beforehand. Maybe some morphine to ease the pain.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

Action 52 from what I've seen is the worst game ever made, not just worse NES game. Absolute terrible piece of buggy crapfestation. From ones I've actually played, I'd say Karate Champ.

Fragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fragnarok
Member since 2004 • 204 Posts

I'm going to have to go with The Uncanny X-Men. Terrible gameplay, unfairly difficult, and forcing a terrible computer controlled partner.

Actually, a lot of LJN's games were pretty bad.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"]

SelVis52

Never played A52, but judging by AVGN's review it looks like one, if not the worst game on the system.

My friend made me buy that game of him for $10. not worth it

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

Top Gun... it was absolutely impossible to land the plane.

gamefree2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamefree2
Member since 2006 • 2073 Posts

Ghostbusters is the worst NES game I've played.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
One that stands out is Spy vs. Spy, absolute piece of crap.
tequilero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#25 tequilero
Member since 2005 • 9333 Posts

I rented Rambo (NES) once for 2 days;I thought this was something similar like Contra or Ikari Warriors,but it isn´t.

ner38073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ner38073
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts
I have bought a couple of games in the past just because the label looks so amazing, but when I played them, too bad, RPG games which I consider boring. If you are not sure about the game you want to purchase, don't let the label/sticker seduce you.
Mtngranek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#27 Mtngranek
Member since 2009 • 403 Posts

Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde. That game is terrible.

It's funny how many games that are listed, that I have played. Captain Comic was definately terrible. I played it once, and I still haven't had the "guts" to pull it out again. Supposedly Color Dreams thought it was one of their best, because that game is a port from the PC...

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

One that stands out is Spy vs. Spy, absolute piece of crap.Second_Rook
I like that game:cry:

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

kittensRjerks

FAR from impossible. It's much harder to land a jet (on the carrier) in Over G Fighters on Xbox360. and Top Gun really is not that bad of a game. There are MANY more worse games on the NES. Heavy Shredin' is probably the WORST game i have. I got it as part of a huge bundle of games. Played it 2 times, garbage!

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#30 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

I forgot, was ET an NES game?

AjarnLenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#31 AjarnLenny
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

kittensRjerks

:)I remember playing this with my buddy. There weren't enough four letter words so we had to invent new ones while trying to land. That was annoying man!

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Second_Rook

[QUOTE="Second_Rook"]One that stands out is Spy vs. Spy, absolute piece of crap.kingdavid562

I like that game:cry:

Well for every game there's somebody who likes it. Except Action 52 apparently.
renomakiGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 renomakiGS

I'm going to have to go with The Uncanny X-Men. Terrible gameplay, unfairly difficult, and forcing a terrible computer controlled partner.

Yarvem
Yeah, LJN does have an amazing number of bad games. I wonder if they are still around today?
renomakiGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 renomakiGS

Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde. That game is terrible.

It's funny how many games that are listed, that I have played. Captain Comic was definately terrible. I played it once, and I still haven't had the "guts" to pull it out again. Supposedly Color Dreams thought it was one of their best, because that game is a port from the PC...

Mtngranek
Oh, you poor, poor soul... Nice to know I am not the only one who thinks Captain Comic was a poorly made game.
renomakiGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 renomakiGS

I forgot, was ET an NES game?

brickdoctor

No, it wasn't. It was around BEFORE the NES came out.

Jessemesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jessemesse
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

CHEETAH MEN!!! worst game ever it's not a game it's a huge glitch that takes form of a game

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#37 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

almost any game not made by nintendo on nes was boring for me , except top gun and micro machines, and a few racing platformin games

i mean seriously i couldnt take gamin seriously on that console alone ,

due to limitations of course i understand why most games were that way ,,

so i cant name one , but et and friday the thirteen is obvious choices , also knight rider, oh god what a horrible title, the cover almost passed as topgear for the nes ,boy i was played for a fool ,

the covers for these games looked so much identical i had thought it was like top gear but its just a carbon copy of roadblasters

EuroLaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 EuroLaser
Member since 2006 • 51 Posts

Predator: Soon the hunt will begin

Awful game. Absolutely awful. Moving rocks with visors, soldiers running around (Why are they still alive?), deadly scorpions and insane platforms. Not an action game, but a jumping game. They messed it up bad.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Emerald_Warrior

almost any game not made by nintendo on nes was boring for me , except top gun and micro machines, and a few racing platformin games

i mean seriously i couldnt take gamin seriously on that console alone ,

due to limitations of course i understand why most games were that way ,,

so i cant name one , but et and friday the thirteen is obvious choices , also knight rider, oh god what a horrible title, the cover almost passed as topgear for the nes ,boy i was played for a fool ,

the covers for these games looked so much identical i had thought it was like top gear but its just a carbon copy of roadblasters

mariokart64fan
Wow, you haven't ever really played a real NES, have you? First off, Top Gear is a SNES game, not a NES game, so I hope you'd be able to tell the difference between it and Road Blasters. Also, E.T. isn't an NES game. It's an Atari 2600 game. And finally, you say that the only good games on NES are the ones made Nintendo? Come on now, that cements it in that you must not have played NES a lot: -BaseWars -Batman -The Battle of Olympus -Bionic Commando -Captain America and The Avengers -Castlevania 1-3 -Contra -Crystalis -Double Dragon 1-3 -Dragon Warrior 1-4 -DuckTales 1-2 -Final Fantasy -Gradius 1-2 -Metal Gear -Ninja Gaiden 1-3 -PinBot -R.C. Pro-Am -Shinobi -Strider -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1-3 -Tetris All of those are top-shelf quality games put out by third-party companies.
Machoping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Machoping
Member since 2010 • 372 Posts

For me it's Castlevania II: Simon Quest. There are probably much worse NES titles, but Simon's Quest was the worst I played.

DJ-Lafleur
what the crap i can put up with people calling action 52 bad but castlevania 2 ? your on crack
Machoping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Machoping
Member since 2010 • 372 Posts

Yarvem
i loved that game and it was not that hard
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Second_Rook
[QUOTE="Machoping"][QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

what the crap i can put up with people calling action 52 bad but castlevania 2 ? your on crack

Yeah buddy that game was great, I think people that didn't like it weren't ready for the non-linearity, I mean it was 20 years ago. Actually inspired by this thread I played that game for about a half hour or so today, finding I like it better at 32 than I did at 13.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Emerald_Warrior
[QUOTE="Yarvem"]

renomakiGS
Yeah, LJN does have an amazing number of bad games. I wonder if they are still around today?

I believe I read something way back when that LJN was a subsidiary of Activision. Now I'm gonna have to go Wikipedia it. But The Punisher and Wolverine for NES weren't bad. They weren't as good as say Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros., but they were fun.
Mtngranek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#44 Mtngranek
Member since 2009 • 403 Posts

Everybody talks about LJN and their high amount of bad games, but not many people know why that is. LJN started out as a toy manufacturing company, and then got into vieo game publishing. The reason why I say publishing, is because they sourced the work out to other companies, and then slapped their name on it. The fact that they had a bunch of no name companies coding their games would explain why they all sucked.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Emerald_Warrior
[QUOTE="renomakiGS"][QUOTE="Yarvem"]

Emerald_Warrior

I believe I read something way back when that LJN was a subsidiary of Activision. Now I'm gonna have to go Wikipedia it. But The Punisher and Wolverine for NES weren't bad. They weren't as good as say Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros., but they were fun.

It was a part of Acclaim in later years, not Activision, at least according to Wikipedia. I got em mixed up, but i had the idea right.