This topic is locked from further discussion.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 0

#1 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
we need some world war 1 games!
63rdAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 63rdAwesome
Member since 2007 • 120 Posts
Seconded.
zcds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 161

#3 zcds
Member since 2005 • 1984 Posts
that would be diffrent, trench warfar could be cool
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#4 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
RTS or turn-based strategy games would be especially well-suited for WWI.
Evilmaster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Evilmaster101
Member since 2005 • 2013 Posts

RTS or turn-based strategy games would be especially well-suited for WWI.CodingGenius

I'd rather see an FPS, there was a good mod for Battelfield 1942 called Battlefield 1918, they showed how you can make a good WWI game, and with a bigger budget you could make an excellent game. I realy hope there will be WWI games in the future, this is a war that is completely overlooked by the gaming public.

TWOC2689

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 TWOC2689
Member since 2006 • 866 Posts

When I am thinking of what a World War one game would be like I find it hard for it to be a FPS or Shooter. Mostly because there wasn't a lot of action. How this war worked out was that there were stalemates lasting from days even months where troops were forced to live in the worst conditions imaginable. then only when the Commanders said for them to launch an attack a shelling would commence for a few minutes. then there would be a silence by then the offensive force would prepare to "Go over the top" and would pull themselves out of the trenches. The problem here is that, there was always a never ending fire of Machine guns from the opposition. here the NML (No Mans Land) was covered by Barbed wire which was practically indestructible and continues shelling from the opposition. Literally the battlefield moved forward by only a couple of inches. I can see this as being like a Turn based strategy but not as an action packed shooter. I know there is a Development team working on such a game I just want to know how they are going to do this. I would like a Great War game to learn more about it but I can see why it hasn't been a popular choice for Game Companies.

discipleofsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 discipleofsin
Member since 2004 • 352 Posts
There is a reason there are no WW1 FPS'. It would be either very dull or absolutely unrealistic. How fun would dodging mustard gas and getting trench foot be ...
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MKHavoc
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts
That would be terrible. The firefights would be slow and boring. Most of the weapns from that time took forever to reload. I can't believe anyone is taking this seriously.
pinkyfull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 pinkyfull
Member since 2006 • 206 Posts

ok ican see why people would want a ww1 game and yes it would be good if a big game name would come up with something

however there are problems like the last few posts the facts of the war were far from a gamemakers dream. for example the trench warfare was extremely slow in fact one of the a main reasons why the war ended was financial strain on the couties.

however i could see an opening for an rts type game in ths period quite simply for the reason that one could build trenches and issue artillery strikes. But as far as the rest goes there really isnt any room for a gamer to be adventurous in this time period. s which is probably why noone has done anything withthe war in thea past.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 monkeytoes61
That would be terrible. The firefights would be slow and boring. Most of the weapns from that time took forever to reload. I can't believe anyone is taking this seriously. MKHavoc
are you serious? we aren't talking muskets. you know the bolt action weapons in Call of Duty? Those are the kind of weapons from ww1.
Dills334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Dills334
Member since 2007 • 270 Posts

When I am thinking of what a World War one game would be like I find it hard for it to be a FPS or Shooter. Mostly because there wasn't a lot of action. How this war worked out was that there were stalemates lasting from days even months where troops were forced to live in the worst conditions imaginable. then only when the Commanders said for them to launch an attack a shelling would commence for a few minutes. then there would be a silence by then the offensive force would prepare to "Go over the top" and would pull themselves out of the trenches. The problem here is that, there was always a never ending fire of Machine guns from the opposition. here the NML (No Mans Land) was covered by Barbed wire which was practically indestructible and continues shelling from the opposition. Literally the battlefield moved forward by only a couple of inches. I can see this as being like a Turn based strategy but not as an action packed shooter. I know there is a Development team working on such a game I just want to know how they are going to do this. I would like a Great War game to learn more about it but I can see why it hasn't been a popular choice for Game Companies.

TWOC2689
Plus i don't remeber much city fights in world war 1 ( there has to be one right. ) we would probely be seeing trech after trench of fighting. Thus it would at some point get repetitive and become boring. Exspecialy with all these fast action ww 2 games that have appered it would be hard to go from ww2 fast pace to slow it down a little. A RTS i would love, but as a fps i don't see it being a highly antisipated game.
Adamfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Adamfast
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The only way I can see it being done is with some dramatic license being taken - Iron Storm did it for the PC extending WW1 into the 1960's, but it was pretty bad. I'd love to see it done well with a real emotional story attached to it, cos if they did it right it would be amazing for video games. But Call of Duty 5: The Somme is a bit of a no-no.
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
The only way I can see it being done is with some dramatic license being taken - Iron Storm did it for the PC extending WW1 into the 1960's, but it was pretty bad. I'd love to see it done well with a real emotional story attached to it, cos if they did it right it would be amazing for video games. But Call of Duty 5: The Somme is a bit of a no-no.Adamfast
I´m playing thru IronStorm now, it is a very competent, solid FPS, but I have to admit that the story makes little sense. As said by all previous post, if it were easy to create a WWI game, maybe it would already had been done(Even if the developer "Chemistry" is trying to do so, but it looks to be an unproven developer, time will tell if the game will ever come out). They would have to find the right genre for it, then again, WWI appeal is very limited, not like the American Civil War that for some strange reason, there are a bunch of games based upon it! Wierd.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 monkeytoes61
what about battles like belleu wood? That wasn't trrench fighting. that was mad forest fighting between the Germans and the Marines.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
I presonally think the way WWI was fought would be difficult to translate to anything but an RTS.
hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 hiho24
Member since 2005 • 4052 Posts
There is still a lot of action to be had from World War 1. I'm no expert, but I know that it wasn't all sitting around and waiting for something to happen. Thats the stereotype it gets.
kitsunegrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kitsunegrunt
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

the war didn't just take place in europe either. it took place in the european colonies around the world. the battles were a bit small but fighting in places like africa, the middle east and asia would be cool. french foreign legion anyone?