With MS launching Xbox One S Disc-less console, will it hurt Gamestop sales in the upcoming future?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

For those who may not have heard, MS is preparing to launch a Xbox One S that's only digital purchasing games and no use of disc drive. (Taken by: Forbes: Xbox One S Digital console only may further demise of GameStop)

"If" next-gen were to go all digital, what does this mean for Gamestop? Gamestop heavy relies physical used sales to keep them in business and it doesn't help most gamers went digital (including me) for convenience on buying our games. This is no surprise to GameStop though, GameStop has know for a long time console games are moving more and more towards digital-only each day. I hate to say it, but this is where games are heading in the future and it's not a matter of how, but when?

So gamers, does this worries you if next-gen totally goes digital? Will Gamestop be the next Blockbusters? (It's just something to think about when it comes to digital consoles only)

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#2 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

If Gamestop is anything like EB Games in Canada ... well they almost don't sell video games anymore... It is like 30% of the store is games and the rest is whatever variation of Monopoly ( like Mario, Walking Dead, Stranger Things etc), cloths of your fav games or geek shows, mugs, Funkpop caracters ...

Many people already buy only or more than 50% of their games digital.

Sony was too early with the PSP go ...

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#3 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I don't think it'll hurt sales. I buy pretty much all of my games digitally now, but most gamers want physical media. I guess an argument could be, it's cheaper to buy physical but more expensive to produce it.

One of the reasons why I only buy games digitally is because I've pretty much got no space considering I have a significant DVD/Blu-ray collection. It's also the way of the future. It's bound to just happen one day and in our lifetime. Even if I did own a physical games collection of some sort it'd be really small I'd say. I don't own many games as it is. Maybe less than 20. I'm not kidding. Lol

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Game as it's known here in U.K. sells everything from phones to jumpers and t shirts. There's games but to me it's way cheaper online and makes no sense buying from them. It's a matter of time before they close stores.

The disc less Xbox will obviously have an impact on revenue. If PlayStation go the same way then there's huge problems as its a much bigger platform here.

Enragedhydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Enragedhydra
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

As others of said, Gamestop at least in Canada sells more Funkos, Tshirts and other items from people's favorite TV shows and movies among other items.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44160 Posts

Digital sales for all systems has been eating away at GameStops/EB’s business, the diskless Xbox One S probably isn’t really going add to it all that greatly though. I think those that still want to get their games on physical formats will buy the systems that support that feature.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Sucks for the Americans I guess, use amazon

On a serious note I don't think at this point it will put much effect on the Xbox. One of the benefits of an Xbox One over a PS4 is being able to put in an old disc and play it without a paywall what so ever. A disc-less model removes that benefit from my knowledge.

So even though the machine will cost less, you are getting a worse deal all considering.

I see it being as successful as the PSP Go, if one doesn't recall, that was a digital only alternative system with less to offer as well.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

They're probably not happy about having to sell an all-digital console, but it's inevitable... but I think most people (for the near future anyway) will still prefer the option of a console with a disc drive (unless it's significantly cheaper for the all-digital one - which I suspect it won't be).

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Gamestop should act, take example from that German game store where they dropped xbox entirely.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#10 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

It won't help, that's for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#11 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

The other night I went to stop at this one Gamestop location, they tended to have some less-common games. I hadn't been there in maybe six months, though it didn't really seem that long at the time.

I got there and it was long-gone. It hit me that someone told me that Gamestop went out months ago, but it had slipped my mind.

It's weird to think more GS stores will be gone in the next couple of years, or at least it seems that way. I like being able to buy games in stores when I can. At least there's still Best Buy, Target and Walmart, but for finding games with more limited releases it'll be tricky without GS.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Gamepass already killed used 1st party games here, so maybe.

duncanae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By duncanae
Member since 2019 • 7 Posts

Game as it's known here in U.K. sells

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Gamestop is already with one foot in the grave as it is. They lost half a billion in the past fiscal year.

https://www.windowscentral.com/gamestop-posts-488-million-loss-last-quarter

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

So you are telling me that GameStop is gonna survive till the console launch?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Gamestop is already with one foot in the grave as it is. They lost half a billion in the past fiscal year.

https://www.windowscentral.com/gamestop-posts-488-million-loss-last-quarter

I haven't walk into Gamestop store like in 4/5 years, I went all digital gaming at the start of this gen and own a bunch PS4 exclusive games digital but I primary game on my PC. The only thing I still buy physical games is on Nintendo Switch and I do my online shopping through Amazon when purchasing Nintendo Switch game. Honestly, digital is so convenience, i just don't have the time anymore walking into game stores and if i do, it'll be going to Target.

@speedytimsi said:

So you are telling me that GameStop is gonna survive till the console launch?

Once PS5/Xbox Scarlet launch, they'll survive but evidence is showing digital has increase over the past years, even when PS4/Xbox One launch, digital was catching up.

I'm just speculating, once PS6/next-gen Xbox launch, Gamestop will be the next Blockbusters unless Gamestop can embrace digital sales/trades like similar to Steam but I don't see that happening.

@Ant_17 said:

Gamepass already killed used 1st party games here, so maybe.

I'm guilty of using Game Pass mainly for playing MS games on PC.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@davillain- said:

I haven't walk into Gamestop store like in 4/5 years, I went all digital gaming at the start of this gen and own a bunch PS4 exclusive games digital but I primary game on my PC. The only thing I still buy physical games is on Nintendo Switch and I do my online shopping through Amazon when purchasing Nintendo Switch game. Honestly, digital is so convenience, i just don't have the time anymore walking into game stores and if i do, it'll be going to Target.

Pretty much the same for me, except for the fact I haven't bought games at gamestop since 2009 when I started shopping online and bought them all for 25% cheaper from the UK, so I had no reason to ever bother with gamestop except for the odd action figure or amiibo.

The final straw for me was when they started locking all their deals behind a membership card.

Khazrak134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#18 Khazrak134
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts

man... I havent been to an EB games in years. I still buy physical, but it's usually from Amazon, or Best Buy

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts
@robert_sparkes said:

Game as it's known here in U.K. sells everything from phones to jumpers and t shirts. There's games but to me it's way cheaper online and makes no sense buying from them. It's a matter of time before they close stores.

their share price has bombed in the past five years. they're either finding it really tough to keep open bricks and mortar stores and hiked all the prices up, or they're just really f*ckin greedy. it's often cheaper to buy a new copy of a game from amazon than buying a second hand version from game. i purchased a lot from them last gen, this gen i've bought two games. can't see them lasting too much longer in their current guise

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Never forget seeing a pre owned black ops 2 for £40 brand new amazon it was £30. Pricing has been the problem for many years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f03f34d16270
deactivated-5f03f34d16270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#22  Edited By deactivated-5f03f34d16270
Member since 2004 • 198 Posts

Personally, I don't care if it hurts Game Stop or not. Game Stop buys used games from gamers for pennies on the dollar and sells it back to us at a ridiculous higher price. GS is just pure greedy. I have a GS rewards card and still buy from them. I remember years ago when MS said that their new Xbox One console was going to be streaming games only and that every Xbox One was going to have Kinect, but then MS changed their tune when they realized that gamers didn't like this. So, if PS5 isn't disc-less and the XBox2 is disc-less, I'd say GS will survive in some form even if they have to close some stores, since MS lost the console war this generation I wouldn't base GS future on poor decision that MS makes.