Will we ever see a sequel to Panzer Dragoon Saga?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

I've heard so many great things about that game, saying it was the one rpg on the saturn that was as good as anything on the ps1. Will we ever see a sequel, or at least a downloadable version of the original?

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I highly doubt we'll ever see another Saga, much less any Panzer Dragoon game for that matter. I think the only thing we can hope for is MAYBE a cleaned up re-release, but even that's very doubtful (it's rumored the original code was lost), without that there's not much they can do. I'd give anything to see it on the current gen. Also, Smilebit (who did Orta) is gone, and the PD franchise really has no home at present. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Can't say I miss Panzer Dragoon but I did like the outworldly atmosphere it created. Young girl on her dragon going up verses big monsters and battleships is just a great concept, but on-rail shooting is seriously crappy and cheap gameplay if you ask me, I want more out of my games. Ok some people like onrail shooters, just like some people are big fans of those 2D bullet hell shooters, but I certainly don't know anyone whogoes out there way looking for the next on-rail shooter that comes out, sort of hard to get exited about that sort of thing unless your a serious arcade gameplay fan.

Edit: Unless they come up with Avatar style graphics, then it'll probably turn a few heads.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Can't say I miss Panzer Dragoon but I did like the outworldly atmosphere it created. Young girl on her dragon going up verses big monsters and battleships is just a great concept, but on-rail shooting is seriously crappy and cheap gameplay if you ask me, I want more out of my games. Ok some people like onrail shooters, just like some people are big fans of those 2D bullet hell shooters, but I certainly don't know anyone whogoes out there way looking for the next on-rail shooter that comes out, sort of hard to get exited about that sort of thing unless your a serious arcade gameplay fan.

Edit: Unless they come up with Avatar style graphics, then it'll probably turn a few heads.

Evil_Saluki

Saga was an RPG, did you play it?

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#6 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

the very first advertisment for 'Avatar' reminded me of 'Panzer'

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts
[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

[QUOTE="Evil_Saluki"]

Saga was an RPG, did you play it?

I didn't to be honest I didn't know it excisted. I thought Panzaar Dragoon was that on-rails dragon shooter on the original X-box.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UT_Wrestler
[QUOTE="Evil_Saluki"]

Panzer Dragoon Saga was an rpg, not a rail-shooter.
tommy_boy9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 tommy_boy9999
Member since 2009 • 67 Posts
I dont think that we will ever see a sequel to one of the best games ever made. Like someone else said it is rumored that the "offical code" of the game was lost. Smilebit is gone and Sega is not what it used to be. IMO (still my favorite though) I still remember I had to reserve the game through a Mail order company from new york because no one here where I lived was going to carry it. I got home from work and the UPS guy left a note. I drove around the neighbor hood with my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) and I tracked him down. I still have that copy in my game room. I always hope deep down inside that a company like NIS or Atlus will strike a deal with Sega and rerelease their older RPGS for the new Handhelds I mean PDS and Shining Force would be amazing on the PSP or DS. If you get lucky there was an ANIME of Panzer dragoon (i heard its terrible)but its only for VHS.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

as much as I would want another Panzer dragoon RPG (Panzer Saga is one of my fav RPGs), I doubt it would happen, its fanbase isnt big enough to warrant a full sequel.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I dont think that we will ever see a sequel to one of the best games ever made. Like someone else said it is rumored that the "offical code" of the game was lost. Smilebit is gone and Sega is not what it used to be. IMO (still my favorite though) I still remember I had to reserve the game through a Mail order company from new york because no one here where I lived was going to carry it. I got home from work and the UPS guy left a note. I drove around the neighbor hood with my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) and I tracked him down. I still have that copy in my game room. I always hope deep down inside that a company like NIS or Atlus will strike a deal with Sega and rerelease their older RPGS for the new Handhelds I mean PDS and Shining Force would be amazing on the PSP or DS. If you get lucky there was an ANIME of Panzer dragoon (i heard its terrible)but its only for VHS.tommy_boy9999

Yeah, it didn't do well in Japan and Sega was trying to starve Saturn owners (so they'd be hungry for Dreamcasts) so they released it in miniscule quantities in the US. A real shame. I never laid hands on Saga, though I played and enjoyed all of the other games in the series.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
This is probably the JRPG that I haven't played that I want to play so badly. Sucks that it'll never be remade, re-released, or made into a sequel. Maybe a sequel could happen but I wouldn't get my hopes up. It'll be like wishing for a third Chrono game. A remake or re-release is also doubtful since the developers said that they lost the original codes for the game. *cry*
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
Well the same style of game is present in Skies of Arcadia for the DC and GC, by Overworks. Not sure where Overworks is, but it'd be good to see another Panzer Dragoon Saga one of these days.
tommy_boy9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tommy_boy9999
Member since 2009 • 67 Posts

Skies of arcadia was a great rpg, but I still havent found a game that is like Panzer Dragoon Saga.

The Story is fantastic and the Graphics pushed the limits of the Saturn. It was one of the few games to ever receive a 10 from EGM

ITs a very meloncoly story. Its basically just you and your Dragoon so there is a connection with just a lone character instead of the traditional JRPGS where you tons of characters to chose from.

My favorite parts of the game were the Boss Fights which were huge and the Music.

The only games that recently have come close to the same setting are ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

as much as I would want another Panzer dragoon RPG (Panzer Saga is one of my fav RPGs), I doubt it would happen, its fanbase isnt big enough to warrant a full sequel.

Darkman2007
Unfortunately, I agree. The small fanbase is no surprise when considering the amount of produced copies. I was lucky to get my copy for a reasonable price.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#16 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
[QUOTE="G-Lord"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Unfortunately, I agree. The small fanbase is no surprise when considering the amount of produced copies. I was lucky to get my copy for a reasonable price.

the absolute most I can imagine is a sequel on the PSP or DS, since development for those systems is much much cheaper then for the PS3/360, the Wii is also an option since development is cheaper. though even that is a pretty distant prospect, doubtful if it will happen.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 UT_Wrestler
Well the same style of game is present in Skies of Arcadia for the DC and GC, by Overworks. Not sure where Overworks is, but it'd be good to see another Panzer Dragoon Saga one of these days.Yagr_Zero
I loved that game. That's one of my all-time favorite rpgs.
1Lacman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 1Lacman
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I don't know about a sequel but I would love to fine a copy of the cover art. Anyone know how to get a copy of the front and back art?