Will there ever be a new game console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Athavan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Athavan123
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
A game console without the words nintendo, xbox, or playstation associated with it? Would be interesting...
LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

A game console without the words nintendo, xbox, or playstation associated with it? Would be interesting...Athavan123

Doubtful. It costs billions to develop and market a console, and even then the company can spend years in the red. The xbox was able to survive in a market dominated by the Playstation and PS2 because Microsoft had near-limitless amounts of cash to gather exclusive titles and develop the hardware to be competitive.

The real money these days is in the software, particularly phone apps. If you build hardware you're a hostage to having to upgrade it eventually, either due to the competition making something better or because your hardware has just got old and out of date (Not that Sony or MS have really got that memo, though...).

Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
I highly doubt that we will ever see another major console released in our lifetime, the only company that might be able to do it would be Apple.
LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts
Probably not. And I have a feeling one of the three will be gone after next gen.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#5 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I doubt it. At this point it'd be easier to just join the game development camp instead. Launching a new console now would almost assuredly fail. Development costs on hardware are much higher than they were when Sony and Microsoft, respectively, joined in. Plus, it'd be harder for a unproven brand to gain any sort of sizable user-base, let alone developer support, especially given the current economic troubles we're in. Very few would be willing to take a risk on something like that.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Not really a console in the traditional hardware sense. But, like it or not, the smartphone/tablet crowd are fertile new ground to make money on for games. The chances for them becoming a separate platform is greater than a new traditional console breaking in.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I doubt it.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

I want Sega back.....maby they could do it...but one of the big three would have to die first...(preferably microsoft.)

MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MuddyMaestro
Member since 2009 • 10351 Posts
I wouldn't see it happening in the next couple of generations, but it is inevitably going to happen. Someboy is going to break off with a different business structure than what the other three will be using for many years to come, and hopefully shake up the industry a bit. Granted, I have no crystal ball, but I'd be very surprised if it remained just the big three for multiple generations.
croydoncrayon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 croydoncrayon
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Actually Ben & Jerrys are making one at the moment; project name is the 'breeze-blok'. Apparently the graphics capabilities are similar to if you sellotaped a dozen xbox 360s together and stapled a atari jaguar to the top. Trouble is it weighs over 30 tons. One cool thing is though; apparently instead of the classic 'game-pad' controllers you control everything with a wooden ice-cream scoop. Also coming out in the next 3 years consoles by; burger king, nestle, burger king, the republican party and goldman sachs.
LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts
If Apple comes out with a console it will cost $1100 and people will sleep on the street for 48 hours to buy one. It will be called the iPlay and the first exclusive will feature a man in a turtleneck sweater on a quest to buy a pancreas on the black market. The power button will be replaced by waving your signature in front of a sensor, and it will have no controller. It will also dual-boot into Xbox Live but won't be able to run CoD because Activision hasn't paid protection money to Apple yet. iPlay will be available in Winter 2017 right after iPhone 8. Rangers and hamsters, rejoice.
craigofadown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 craigofadown
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts

Nobody predicts change, however it's probably a lot more likely than you think, take the video game crash of 1983 for example, at the time hundreds of millions of dollars were being thrown around by the bigger names, but once bad games became too much of a common occurence and the market was flooded with rubbish it collapsed and ruined many companies namely atari, the main player at the time. Now I'm not suggesting that this will be the cause of the next significant change in the gaming market; however I would say that you should never rule anything out and suggesting the number of main console manufacturers and who they will be in 10 or 20 years time is not something I would expect anyone to be able to convincingly substanstiate.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

A game console without the words nintendo, xbox, or playstation associated with it? Would be interesting...Athavan123

there is in asian it may come here..

extreme edit:

its called the isec its eing done by lenivi and comes in 3 distinct flavors

http://www.f-paper.com/?i571810-Photo:-Lenovo-iSec-game-coming-for-the-Xbox360-and-PS3-or-open

its other features are that it has a motion sensor built into the console itself and it has a backplate with slots for a wall mounted configuration which actually makes alot of sense if you think about it.

craigofadown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 craigofadown
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts

Get china on it.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I want Sega back.....maby they could do it...but one of the big three would have to die first...(preferably microsoft.)

Vickman178

Sega is a lot better as a software developer than they were with hardware. I'm glad they chose to abandon the hardware business. Nothing agianst their systems, since they had some excellent titles on them, but it was for the best.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Unlike most people on here, I do see other companies coming into the fold eventually. There are many multi-billion dollar electronics companies that could afford to develop a new console and I feel that there will be at least one system produced by another company within the next two gens.

bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#17 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
Probably not, but I could see it happening. Not any time soon if it did though.
andrewrosati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 andrewrosati
Member since 2011 • 115 Posts
I doubt that we will see another full new console (i.e. a PS4 or follow up to the Xbox 360 or Wii) for a VERY long time (maybe ever) and the amount of power and money it would take to compete with these three, and to get game developers to want to add another console of "consoles we have to adapt our games for" would be difficult. I also personally don't want there to be another. More money I would have to spend on the console if I wanted to play it/a game exclusive to it. It would have to be REALLY special.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Only company I could see doing that would be apple because of how much money it takes.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#20 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Only company I could see doing that would be apple because of how much money it takes.edinsftw

But why? They're already making money off the games available in their App Store. They don't need to make a dedicated gaming console; their phones and tablets' capabilities are strong enough to deliver reasonable gaming experiences. There's just no incentive for them to do so.

kenchen23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kenchen23
Member since 2006 • 486 Posts

Def will happen. Before when there just sony, nentindo, saga and microsoft decide to jump in. There are other big company might do the same.

LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

I can see Apple releasing an Apple TV kind of device which allows users to buy games digitally and play them on their TV using an iPad or iPhone as the controller. Other than that I don't think there will be another dedicated home gaming console from any company other than Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts
Get the nintendo 3ds, i7 laptop , a 23" LCD monitor, everything from the game shop , they are planning on ps4!
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

onlive says hello

chad1113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chad1113
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I honestly think that there will be lots more developments in the gaming industry, not only with consoles and games, but with other technology like, have you ever wondered what it would be like to have a gaming console built inside of the tv instead of having some bulky thins sitting on top of it or beside it? i can almost guarantee there are companies out there researching that as we speak. There are tons of electronics companys as well as other technology companies that look up to the three big heads of the gaming industry for new opportunities that they can develope on their own within the gaming industries. Possibilities are endless guys, with the three big guys in the game right now, we still have years to come and they are not going to be the last ones to go down with the ship either. It has only just begun.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Maybe
A game console without the words nintendo, microsoft, or sony associated with it? Would be interesting...
Highly unlikely
Blaze787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blaze787
Member since 2007 • 535 Posts

Vickman178

So all the major players need to be Japanese? I'd honestly rather see Nintendo gone at this point, because from a graphical standpoint, they seem to be content staying a generation behind.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

The odds are no. There just isn;t the money to be made in hardware sales, unless you either a, make crap and sell it, b, overprice it