Will Sprites Be The Successor To 3D?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Video games made of sprites like back in the day are still being made today. Most of the old games are still being played today as well like Super Mario Bros. Sonic The Hedgehog, Contra, Castlevania, Ninja Turtles, Mega Man, and a whole lot of other games. However, most early 3D games aren't having as much luck as these guys. A lot of early PSOne, N64 and Dreamcast titles are hardly playable to today's standards due to how much controls have improved these days. Controls for 3D games are a lot smoother than they used to. Think Resident Evil, Fighting Force, Tomb Raider, Mega Man Legends just to name a few. Others also find these early 3D titles unplayable due to how these games look in comparison to today's HD video games.

I'm the kind of gamer that doesn't really care about those problems and will play them regardless. Doesn't matter if I'm in an nostalgic mood or am playing an N64/PS/DC game for the first time. I will admit though, that Super Mario 3 looks 10x better than all of the 90's 3D games. Even the power games of the time like Mario 64, Sonic Adventure, and Final Fantasy VIII which were groundbreaking titles in graphics fall short to the old NES games.

I don't mean to sound like a fan boy or anything but, I have to ask. With how sprites looked back then to how sprites look now (Muramasa), will sprites be the ones standing tall in the future or will 3D eventually win the fight?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69456 Posts

3D has been the winner for over a decade and there would be reverting to a mass adoption of older technology purely base on all of the advantages of 3d.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Reverting tout court is impossible, but it's undeniable that 2D simply doesn't age, while old 3D requires a massive effort to go back to. I have been playing a ton of PS1 games recently and some of them I had to give up because the controls were so bad and the frame rate was so low. The PS1 and Saturn were ill-equipped to handle any 3D games due to the controlers: PS1 was the only one that had a dual analog, but even then only half the users owned one, so no one really made games that took advantage of it.

On the other hadn we have Mario 64 and Ocarina of time which are still perfect to this day, the only minor problem being the camera, which would largely benefit from a second stick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

2D games are cute and all, but will they replace modern 3D games? hahahaha! no.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Reverting tout court is impossible, but it's undeniable that 2D simply doesn't age, while old 3D requires a massive effort to go back to. I have been playing a ton of PS1 games recently and some of them I had to give up because the controls were so bad and the frame rate was so low. The PS1 and Saturn were ill-equipped to handle any 3D games due to the controlers: PS1 was the only one that had a dual analog, but even then only half the users owned one, so no one really made games that took advantage of it.

On the other hadn we have Mario 64 and Ocarina of time which are still perfect to this day, the only minor problem being the camera, which would largely benefit from a second stick.

I wouldn't say that they don't age, but that they age better. Besides sprite and screen resolution, there are all kinds of elements that make up a modern game that we don't think about in terms of overall design. Try going back and playing the original X-COM games and check out the horrible UI and controls and the lack of keyboard shortcuts for key functions.

I equate 3D games to CGI in movies. It looked great when it was new but now that the technology has advanced, early 3D and CGI look like crap. Compare 2001 to Lost In Space.

-Byshop

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@Byshop said:

I wouldn't say that they don't age, but that they age better. Besides sprite and screen resolution, there are all kinds of elements that make up a modern game that we don't think about in terms of overall design. Try going back and playing the original X-COM games and check out the horrible UI and controls and the lack of keyboard shortcuts for key functions.

I equate 3D games to CGI in movies. It looked great when it was new but now that the technology has advanced, early 3D and CGI look like crap. Compare 2001 to Lost In Space.

-Byshop

Bad game design aside, 2D has a much longer half life, or even none at all (20 more years will tell). That and pixel art has an undying minimalist charm that 3D models simply lack.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

It's mostly control over graphics when I think of the problems facing anyone trying to get into old games- trying to navigate games like Tenchu: Stealth Assassins is a hassle beyond tolerance when instead of left stick/right stick, stafe and turn are handled with combinations of d pad inputs.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I personally do not like the look of some of the newer 2D games. The graphics look like something out of a flash animation, which I don't like. Then there are games like Lone Survivor that are overly pixelated, trying to recreate that old school look, and those graphics do not appeal to me, either.

So based on that, I'd say no. Sprites will not come back and replace 3D graphics.

I think Actraiser is still a gorgeous game today. I haven't seen a modern 2D game recreate graphics like that. I feel like they all try to emulate a more light-hearted art style.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

No...

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

>Will Sprites Be The Successor To 3D?

Do you mean like how 3D is the successor to sprites?

I am joking. I know what you mean. 3D has been established as the successor to 2D Sprites some time ago, but like how evolution is theorized, the birth of something new does not make the older life or in this situation, graphics type, obsolete. People continue to play games with sprites including myself.