Will People Ever Go Back To The 7th Gen

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#1 iamllamapie
Member since 2012 • 297 Posts

Everyone knows there's a lot of people who play older games. Primarily 8-bit, 16-bit and 32/64-bit. It seems very few people played 6th gen titles/consoles throughout the 7th gen. I played the hell out of the 6th gen during it's stride and revisited it a lot for game series I hadn't played, be it the beginning of a series, mid way or the end.

But will the 7th gen be neglected through the 8th gen. Yes, it's 1 generation older so it's less appealing blah, blah, blah. But would the 7th gens lack of variety compared to the prior gens, most games forcing online integration, DLC and such...There's a bit to come back to but not much.

Your opinion?

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

If they were to stop publishing games for my 360 this week, it would be my go-to console for at least the next 5 years.

I loved my PS2, but once I got my 360, it had seen it's end- except for a few rare instances where I went back to play old favorites like Spiderman 2, the Punisher and Mercenaries: PofD.I've spent maybe a hundred hours on my PS2 since I bought my 360.

to compare: I've put almost 400 hours in GTA5 since the middle of September.

pupp3t_mast3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 pupp3t_mast3r
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts

This topic actually got me thinking to all the previous generations I've owned. Usually I hold onto the older generation for about 2 years even after I grab the current gen which was the case when I swapped to PS3, I still played my PS2 for a few years. Funnily though I haven't bothered keeping my PS3 around once I got my hands on the PS4. I realize there are still plenty of games coming out on the older console but given this is the longest wait in history for next gen consoles I'm not too eager to going back to the PS3 for any new games (And let's face it, last year was a complete drought for great games, case in point made when you look at Gamespot's nominees for GOTY).

So I guess for the 8th generation I'm actually not holding onto the previous gen, between Steam, PS4 and the Vita I'm pretty much stretched thin anyways!

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

people go back to the 8bit/16bit and even the playstation 1 games a lot because the emulators work flawlessly pretty much.. and you can play them on your PC, laptop, tablet or whatever.

Not many xbox games i can think of i would want to play, the first Halo, but luckily they released that on the 360 with improved graphics.

I have a working snes,nes,psx. But why bother risking damaging them and having them take up space when my pc can play all the games they can. Plus you can tweak the filters and graphics to improve slightly on the graphics compared to the original games.... especially the psx games if they contained any 3d graphics.

The ps2 emulation is sorta hit and miss... so its not quite there yet. Wii emulation is also not quite there yet, but its decent... the Gamecube emulation is pretty good and works quite well for some games. There was never any successful original Xbox emulation for some reason. It's hard to know if anyone will get ps3 or xbox 360 emulation to work properly or not... hope so cause theres a few good xbox 360 games i'd like to play in the future even if my system dies.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Well so far I have been playing my ps3 just as much as I play my ps4.... and I have 6 ps4 games so its not like I have nothing to play.

So yes I will be playing 7th gen for at least the next year or two. The games are getting really cheap and I missed out on a lot of good ones.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@iamllamapie said:

Everyone knows there's a lot of people who play older games. Primarily 8-bit, 16-bit and 32/64-bit. It seems very few people played 6th gen titles/consoles throughout the 7th gen. I played the hell out of the 6th gen during it's stride and revisited it a lot for game series I hadn't played, be it the beginning of a series, mid way or the end.

But will the 7th gen be neglected through the 8th gen. Yes, it's 1 generation older so it's less appealing blah, blah, blah. But would the 7th gens lack of variety compared to the prior gens, most games forcing online integration, DLC and such...There's a bit to come back to but not much.

Your opinion?

Yes X360, Wii,PS3 will all be forgotten in 2015 and also Santa will come to your door with that blue bike you always wanted ;)

But more serious of course people will still play on those consoles, why wouldn't they?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Go back? That would imply I've gone away from it, but I haven't. Wii U plays all Wii games flawlessly, and the PS3 will continue to be connected to my TV and stereo along side the PS4. The 360 will stay connected to an HDTV in another room as well. 7th gen is here to stay for me.

msulcs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 msulcs
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

There's just so huge library of 7th generation, that I have so many games left that I still want to play. So yes, I will probably play my PS3 for a long time still

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

It's all in personal tastes, really. I loved this generation because I love WRPGs and any and all FPS. Can't wait to go back to those shelves (200+ games, bear with me) in a year or two.

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

I'm still on the 5th Generation

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By huerito323
Member since 2009 • 1432 Posts

Go back? I'm still on the 7th gen, it wouldn't matter if I got the newest console. There's so many games that I've enjoyed and so many games that I've missed out on. It would be a mistake not to go back.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

I still haven't left it. Ps4 and the bone ain't got shit on dark souls 2

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

I know I'm here to stay in the 7th gen. I'm looking forward to getting my own ps3 and getting xenogears and final fantasy VI off the ps one classics, a handful of ps2 games, and of course all the ps3 exclusives. I really see no interest in 8th gen, but of course it has just start.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#14 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Haven't left and don't plan to leave anytime soon.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 iamllamapie

Seems I didn't make it clear enough, I apologize.

What I mean is when the 8th Gen is in full swing, not exactly now.

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

MGS4, MGSPW, Xenoblade, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dragons Dogma, The Witcher 2, and more great games were released last gen so absolutely. Even if I do consider it the weakest gen(nes and up anyway) yet.

Every year I do a complete(up to this point anyway) run through all main Metal Gear games. MGS is may favorite series if you couldn't figure that out.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#17 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I will sure as hell keep my ps3 and 360

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts
@The_Last_Ride said:

Most definitely will be keeping my PS3, and it is not going anywhere until I at least play Persona 5.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Agree. There will still be titles that people will go back to in the 7th gen, but most of it will be neglected.

For two reasons:

1. The FPS genre is glutted and constant sequelization makes the games obsolete.

2. With online turned off, many games become worthless.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 The_Last_Ride

@t1striker said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

Most definitely will be keeping my PS3, and it is not going anywhere until I at least play Persona 5.

there will be lots of games coming to the ps3, so i will play the hell out of that

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I would, but 7th gen does have the least amount of games I'd go back for of any generation. I'd probably replay the Mass Effect Trilogy at some point, because despite it's ending it's still a damn good series, same with other RPGs like Dragon Age: Origins, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Tales of Vesperia, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix.

TBH, I find with most generations, it's the RPGs I go back for.

LightEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 LightEffect
Member since 2012 • 63 Posts

I'm waiting for a real reason to go "next-gen". If better graphics is all we get and no innovative games then I will probably be going back to my 360 games a lot. I go back to old games pretty often, especially now that I have moved to mainly PC, I really need a special exclusive to even move on to the new console.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iamllamapie

@spike6958 said:

I would, but 7th gen does have the least amount of games I'd go back for of any generation. I'd probably replay the Mass Effect Trilogy at some point, because despite it's ending it's still a damn good series, same with other RPGs like Dragon Age: Origins, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Tales of Vesperia, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix.

TBH, I find with most generations, it's the RPGs I go back for.

A reason I went back to previous generations is because of quirky games I hadn't hear of which 9 times out of 10 I ended up enjoying. However, I don't feel there are that many games like that for the 7th generation.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

these are the 4 HOT games i know that are coming out on PS3, and not coming out on PS4

Lightning Returns FFXIII

Dark Souls 2

FFX HD

Castlevania LOS 2

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

Well since i got a Wii U, there's an entire catalogue of games I'm not familiar with. I'll also be playing ps3 games for a long time to come

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@nicecall said:

people go back to the 8bit/16bit and even the playstation 1 games a lot because the emulators work flawlessly pretty much.. and you can play them on your PC, laptop, tablet or whatever.

Not many xbox games i can think of i would want to play, the first Halo, but luckily they released that on the 360 with improved graphics.

I have a working snes,nes,psx. But why bother risking damaging them and having them take up space when my pc can play all the games they can. Plus you can tweak the filters and graphics to improve slightly on the graphics compared to the original games.... especially the psx games if they contained any 3d graphics.

The ps2 emulation is sorta hit and miss... so its not quite there yet. Wii emulation is also not quite there yet, but its decent... the Gamecube emulation is pretty good and works quite well for some games. There was never any successful original Xbox emulation for some reason. It's hard to know if anyone will get ps3 or xbox 360 emulation to work properly or not... hope so cause theres a few good xbox 360 games i'd like to play in the future even if my system dies.

There's plenty of old XBOX era games that released on PC and took advantage of what the PC could offer at the time. Many of these games like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Thief Deadly Shadows, and Hitman Contracts still hold up incredibly well to this day.

Hennius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 Hennius
Member since 2014 • 47 Posts

Day 1 DLC is a nice concept... New hardware support for occulus and other devices is nice............... Micro transactions should die a swift and painful death.

In a nut shell this generation is abit meh but with some nice perks.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 iamllamapie

@hennius said:

Day 1 DLC is a nice concept... New hardware support for occulus and other devices is nice............... Micro transactions should die a swift and painful death.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Last_Ride

@hennius said:

i seriously hope that is sarcasm...

Hennius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hennius

@The_Last_Ride said:

@hennius said:

the ... at the end should of made it apparent. Rephrasing then. Day 1 DLC is bad! :P

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Last_Ride

@hennius said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@hennius said:

the ... at the end should of made it apparent. Rephrasing then. Day 1 DLC is bad! :P

Good, you never know these days, i have met some really retarded people both in real life and on the internet. So i never know :P

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#32 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I don't know if I even plan on moving much past this gen. I have a good amount of games in my backlog and nothing much that's coming up warrants a purchase of a new console for me.

I still replay old games from time to time, too, so I don't see that changing with this generation.

Transfer_Point

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Transfer_Point
Member since 2013 • 95 Posts

Well, I am still on 7th generation, aside from Wii U, 3DS, and Vita.

That being said, once I do upgrade, I am guessing not. With the PS3, PS Now will hopefully cover legacy PS content. With 360 (and PS3), I'll probably wait for remastered collections. I may keep my 360 connected, but that would be it. Otherwise, I do not really have the space or open HDMI ports for anymore consoles beyond that. I mean, as it is, I already have a 5-port HDMI switcher that is almost full with Wii U, PS3, 360, and Roku 3.

Hennius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hennius

@The_Last_Ride said:

@hennius said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@hennius said:

Good, you never know these days, i have met some really retarded people both in real life and on the internet. So i never know :P

Fair enough, I should have been abit more straight to the point with my wording... but its an E-Disease I contracted many years ago :P

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Last_Ride

@hennius said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@hennius said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@hennius said:

Fair enough, I should have been abit more straight to the point with my wording... but its an E-Disease I contracted many years ago :P

it's nice to know :P

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 iamllamapie

@Transfer_Point said:

Well, I am still on 7th generation, aside from Wii U, 3DS, and Vita.

That being said, once I do upgrade, I am guessing not. With the PS3, PS Now will hopefully cover legacy PS content. With 360 (and PS3), I'll probably wait for remastered collections. I may keep my 360 connected, but that would be it. Otherwise, I do not really have the space or open HDMI ports for anymore consoles beyond that. I mean, as it is, I already have a 5-port HDMI switcher that is almost full with Wii U, PS3, 360, and Roku 3.

I have a few TVs to support the amount of scart and ariel leads I have for my consoles. You'll learn 1 TV just isn't enough.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I still play some PS3 and 360 games, and there are still some great ones I haven't yet played!

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 iamllamapie

@I-AM-N00B: Try from the earliest games to current date

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

This thread is ahead of it's time...which may still be it's point. PS4 still needs that grip of games to buy-in to...So in other-words, 7th gen hasn't been laid to rest. Yet there /are/ a lot of games that are worth playing just /once/ and once is enough...and the 7th gen has plenty, yet there is a solid replay selection after some bit of time passes; Enslaved:OttW, is the first one that comes to mind.

But, in short, There is still a large back-log I'm clearing out...I just started that Nier game tonight, and I suspect it to be quite something. PS3 will keep going strong for a while.

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#41 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

I'm a little more likely to since my Xbox 360 and PS3 have achievements/trophies and my XOne has achievements. Once I had those two, it was almost a waste of time to play my PS2 since there was no gamerscore or level to augment.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The_Last_Ride

I think people have more incentive to play the last gen because of trophies and achievments

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iamllamapie

@jekyll said:

I'm a little more likely to since my Xbox 360 and PS3 have achievements/trophies and my XOne has achievements. Once I had those two, it was almost a waste of time to play my PS2 since there was no gamerscore or level to augment.

Games have, and always will be about the experience it gives to the player. Gamerscore/Trophies, for me, add replay value to a game and make me feel if it's not to a standard (i.e I haven't at least got the trophy for hard and my friends do am I less a player?) I can't move to another game. Whereas on a Nintendo system or older systems I can play the game for what content it has to unlock, rather than replace them with trophies and make content DLC.