Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lembu90
Member since 2015 • 665 Posts

I literally grow up with PC. I do have PS4, Vita and 3DS to play some exclusive titles such as Persona 5, Super Robot Wars V, Fire Emblem Awakening for examples but nothing can beat PC in terms of diversity and modding communities. Unlike consoles it had no true age restrictions(Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo banned AO-rated games from getting to their systems) but unfortunately it also the last refuge to some abominations such as Hatred and Yandere Simulator to name few.

In recent years the crypto mining had caused the shortage of GPUs. A bad news for those wants to upgrade their GPUs including myself. Gamers aren't the only victims. So are video editors, digital artists, indie game developers and astronomers, according to this The Verge's article. While there was a news of cryptocurrency decline but at same time the GPU prices still continue to rise due to increasing demand and short on supply. It will be a dangerous bet to wait for another several months in hope of price drop.

How long I need to wait in order to buy a new GPU? I afraid that nobody including myself can answer that.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

@lembu90: As a Digital Artist and P.C. Gamer to an extent, it hasn't been much of an issue and believe it's only really a problem in certain parts of the world. I only upgraded my graphics card recently for testing SCORNs visuals (RX Vega 56 8GB) and if I convert my costing to dollars it's roughly $209 according to Google.

I don't know if that's what is considered expensive in the US? but for me seemed fairly priced and grabbed it late January.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

Would be nice if a different solution for mining came along that didn't require GPUs. Something that is more practical to them and affordable, a viable alternative to GPU's.

The whole reason we are in this mess, however, is because no manufacturer wants to take that leap; they are all still convinced cryptocurrency is a fad. Don't want to dedicate manufacturing lines to something that might evaporate in a short time.

My hope right now is that Nvidia (or, God forbid, AMD...don't want to go back to an AMD card!) overproduces with their next card and is able to satisfy the miners while also having enough of a surplus on the market to feed gamer demands.

@Yams1980 said:

...it would lure these mining savages to buy them over a gaming gpu.

Don't know why, but when you said "savages", I just envisioned this trogg-like creature bent over a PC case, a smoking hole in it, and the creature has a beautiful GPU in it's hand. Meanwhile, a PC gamer is in the corner crying, going "My pC! YOU KILLED IT YOU SAVAGE!"

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

I don't claim to be any expert on the matter but my gut feeling is that it will resolve itself one way or the other eventually. And it's not like things are that dire anyway. I haven't noticed significant price changes here in Australia.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@thereal25: we're looking at a serious problem in the US. Typically over doubled in price.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

The biggest problem is this will impact the advancement of gaming for everyone including console makers.

I don’t expect a big leap next gen and that sucks.

I am praying Sony and MS delay their next consoles as long as possible. 2020 seems like the average guess, but I feel it is too early.

CODEr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 CODEr
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

www.bananatic.com/games/

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@thereal25: we're looking at a serious problem in the US. Typically over doubled in price.

Sheesh! I didn't realize it was that bad. Glad I got my 1070 before the madness started. Should last for 1080p gaming for quite some time :)