will microsoft ever get around to releasing a hands held console ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

As a gamer who prefers xbox consoles rather than P.S or Wii consoles..I often wonder if Microsoft will eventually release Xbox360 related hands held ?!

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts
It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility. Microsoft has other factors to keep hold up revenue, so testing the market wouldn't hurt them any. I just don't know if there's enough money left over after Nintendo and Sony already tap the handheld market. They'd almost have to pull a 360 and have their new handheld on store shelves before all the others. I don't see it happening, but if Microsoft thought there was enough money to justify the effort, anything's possible.
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts

Microsoft can always piggyback on the other hand helds by having THQ publish the games the Microsoft's 1st and 2nd party developers develop like they did with Viva Pinata Pocket Paradise.

_Pinbot_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 _Pinbot_
Member since 2008 • 1062 Posts

It could be possible, only time will tell. But I have never really been a fan of handheld consoles. I would much rather read a book than play a game whilst I am out and about.

cooldude1888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 cooldude1888
Member since 2008 • 363 Posts

Sony and Nintendo seem to be dominating the handhelds at the moment. If Microsodt did, then it would'nt sell as well

as the Sonys PSP and Nintendos DS. I know it would'nt. Nah, Microsoft know that it wont hit as well as rivals Sonys PSP.

tomo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 tomo90
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

I don't think so, sony and nintendo seem to have that market pretty much locked down. However if Microsoft did see a potential gap in the market I wouldn't expect them to abstain from leaping into the Hand Held market. If this was to happen it wouldn't happen anytime soon, most likely gap would be when the new handheld tech comes through before Nintendo and Sony get their handhelds out.Although I'm not very well versed on handhelds so I can't tell you when that would be.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
I'd rather MS stuck to making their consoles as good as they can be rather than diverting costs into handheld. Partly because I much prefer to play games on a console than handheld, but also it would take an immense amount of money to break into the handheld market which is dominated by the DS and PSP. Unless MS handheld could offer something that neither the PSP or DS have, there wouldn't be much reason for people to switch their handheld loyalties from the others
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Microsoft could possibly do a handheld, but I would predict that they would be better off to invest in improving their consoles and games.
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Pretty sure MS wouldn't until their fanbase was a lot bigger than the competition's. No way could they enter the handheld market now, and expect to compete with Sony and Nintendo (especially Nintendo). We'll have to see how this gen turns out, and how popular the Xbox is in the next gen.

They probably will eventually, but any time soon I doubt. MS is really trying to stick it to Sony with the Xbox franchise, so they won't try to fight on two fronts just yet.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#10 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

hmm, ZUNE 360 anyone?

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

last i heard, ms still hasnt made any money off of the xbox brand. id think that they would want to sure up their console business before they spend the money to break into the handheld market. plus this economy doesnt seem to be ideal for expanding, with most companies just trying to hang on.

stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
Really its not a great idea...how well do you think you could play Xbox games on handheld? and thats presuming Microsoft doesn't make it with some new form of Red Light...handheld market really should be left alone to Nintendo...I wish the companies would actually focus on their consoles instead. Don't get me wrong if they made it right yeh I would love a handheld but...is it neccesary?
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Really its not a great idea...how well do you think you could play Xbox games on handheld? and thats presuming Microsoft doesn't make it with some new form of Red Light...handheld market really should be left alone to Nintendo...I wish the companies would actually focus on their consoles instead. Don't get me wrong if they made it right yeh I would love a handheld but...is it neccesary?stike22

I'm with you on this one. They say competition is a good thing in a market, but Nintendo has never sacrificed quality in their handhelds, and they have all had amazing libraries. It really should just be left to Nintendo because they do it right. I'm not sure if I agree with not being able to play Xbox games on a handheld, but it is unecessary.

Microsoft and Sony should just focus on their consoles.

Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

I don't see what would be the point honestly. I'm inclined to think they'd put out the same kind of uninteresting, console wanna-be product as Sony has.