GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

my MGS5 arrived today but i'm wondering can i get into trouble from Sony if i play it while i'm connected online?

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

**** sony, just play it.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@GrayF0X786: Did you obtain it from a legitimate source?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

If you obtained it legally no, you can't get in trouble. If you got it illegally, yes, you can.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Considering it's not a SCE published game, I doubt they care.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

It's hard to say. If you obtained it legally then no, they have no legal grounds to ban you. Whether or not they'll do it anyways is another story completely though.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Turn the modem off.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@GrayF0X786 said:

my MGS5 arrived today but i'm wondering can i get into trouble from Sony if i play it while i'm connected online?

I'm assuming you're talking about a legit copy since piracy discussion is absolutely not allowed on this forum, but it's an unfortunate reality that some retailers don't honor the street dates set forth by the publishers. Most publishers know this, so they don't penalize the consumer for having gotten something they legitimately purchased a few days early.

-Byshop

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55902 Posts

@Byshop said:
@GrayF0X786 said:

I'm assuming you're talking about a legit copy since piracy discussion is absolutely not allowed on this forum, but it's an unfortunate reality that some retailers don't honor the street dates set forth by the publishers. Most publishers know this, so they don't penalize the consumer for having gotten something they legitimately purchased a few days early.

-Byshop

From what I know, Konami stated that MGS5 MP won't be available at launch at all. I would assume he won't get into trouble and playing single player shouldn't be a problem.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Byshop  Moderator

@davillain- said:
@Byshop said:
@GrayF0X786 said:

-Byshop

From what I know, Konami stated that MGS5 MP won't be available at launch at all. I would assume he won't get into trouble and playing single player shouldn't be a problem.

Even without trying to use multiplayer, there have been instances of players getting banned from services for playing copies that were so early the company assumes that they must have come from illegal leaks. People who played Halo 4 way ahead of its actual release found themselves banned from Xbox Live altogether because Microsoft assumed that they must be playing pirated copies.

http://gamerant.com/halo-4-leaked-xbox-live-bans-343-industries/

-Byshop

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55902 Posts

@Byshop: Oh dear. I didn't know that!!! Unfortunately myself, I don't play launch games until Sony/MS/Nintendo says it's time to game on so I wasn't sure about MSG5 case despite MP isn't up for play at launch.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator

@davillain- said:

@Byshop: Oh dear. I didn't know that!!! Unfortunately myself, I don't play launch games until Sony/MS/Nintendo says it's time to game on so I wasn't sure about MSG5 case despite MP isn't up for play at launch.

Yeah, but as mentioned he's only a few days ahead of the release date so he should be fine since he's in that "the retailer might have given him a copy earlier than they were supposed to" zone. Companies generally don't punish you for the retailer's mistakes.

Microsoft is also particularly Draconian about piracy. If you play pirated 360 games even while completely disconnected from the internet, the 360 is capable of detecting a security breach and will report it to Microsoft the next time you come online, at which point your system will be banned. The bottom line is, don't pirate because it's generally not worth it.

-Byshop

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

There's this guy on youtube who has been playing phantom pain for about four days now.

Game over Greg or some Greg guy. Greg games? Anyways spoilerific.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8842 Posts

@Byshop: I get the feeling though people will find some way to bypass stuff like the thing you just mentioned about X Box 360's detecting pirated games. It's a good incentive to play games without paying for them.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Byshop  Moderator

@hydralisk86 said:

@Byshop: I get the feeling though people will find some way to bypass stuff like the thing you just mentioned about X Box 360's detecting pirated games. It's a good incentive to play games without paying for them.

The 360 is closer to the end of its life than the beginning and virtually all of the methods used for modifying the console for these purposes still gets flagged by Microsoft. Also, discussion of how to pirate or endorsment of piracy is not allowed on these forums.

-Byshop

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Arghhhh.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

just play the dam game

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

Some of the services have terms of use that specifically prohibit you from doing so, you'll be able to play but you risk having your account suspended, it's advised you disconnect internet so achievements don't register online before release date.

I think there's an article of Sony saying they won't do it, so maybe won't apply to you. I definitely know Microsoft has done it in the past so you might not want to tempt fate there if that ever applies for anything else.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

@airshocker said:

If you obtained it legally no, you can't get in trouble. If you got it illegally, yes, you can.

i ordered from simplygames.com so nothing dodgy

what about twitch streaming? will i get into trouble if i stream it

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2379 Posts

If it's a legit copy then I don't think there would be a problem unless you agreed to some sort of legal contract not to play it until a specific date.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#22 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

You will now that I've alerted SCEA to your activities.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@GrayF0X786 said:
@airshocker said:

I wouldn't think so but maybe you should write a quick e-mail and ask them. I would be pissed if my twitch stream got taken down because I was playing a game early.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

As long as it's a legal copy of the game you should be fine although either Sony or Konami may warn people not to play the game before the official release date but I have seen any news to that effect.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8842 Posts
@Byshop said:
@hydralisk86 said:

The 360 is closer to the end of its life than the beginning and virtually all of the methods used for modifying the console for these purposes still gets flagged by Microsoft. Also, discussion of how to pirate or endorsment of piracy is not allowed on these forums.

-Byshop

I'm not saying that pirating is good, i'm saying people will do what they can to play games, even if they're illegal.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Byshop  Moderator

@hydralisk86: Of course there will always be some bad apples, but in the case of consoles the manufacturers have made it harder than it had ever been before since now they have the carrot of online services that they can revoke.

-Byshop

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Didn't some editor from Gamespot already play and put 40 hours worth into the game to do his review on? Granted, he was allowed a pre-release copy for the review, but if he wasn't banned from anything, why would you be?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

I just noticed this thread is in OT. Moving to GD. In the future if it's video game related please don't post it in OT.

-Byshop

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#30 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@GrayF0X786 said:
@airshocker said:

You will be banned from Twitch if you stream it before its official US release.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

don't go online and they can't ban you. ;)

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#32 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

One of my friends has a copy as well!