Will I ever be able to play old skool games again.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cyberstalker1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cyberstalker1
Member since 2011 • 412 Posts

I was that guy. The guy who said, hey i don't need a new system. I still got hundreds of games to play. I was really digging Final Fantas III for the SNES.

Then it happened. I got a 360 for my new hdtv. The graphics are amazing in HD. Skyrim looks beyond awesome. And the online play. You know its addictive. The question is, I love old skool games. Will I ever play them now that I have all this?

KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

If you really do love older games than it shouldn't be a problem. As long as you care more about gameplay than how pretty a game looks you'll be able to go back to older games easily and still have a great time.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
Of course you will :) I recently bought a PS3, but I still go back to play the NES games when I'm in the mood for them :P, who doesn't want to play Balloon Fight when your bored of those games with "great graphics" :P
rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

good thing u aint playing that skyrim on a high level gaming pc cause then ud really not wanna touch a console ever again!;)

im jk btw... but make sure that u keep an old crt to play your older systems on cause they look horrible on an hdtv. i forgot to buy one before they stopped selling them

JamesHarden98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JamesHarden98
Member since 2012 • 47 Posts

Yep with no problem, except a few early 3-d games on the ps1 or n64 maybe unplayable. A vast majority are better than ever when you replay them

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#6 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Naturally, you will never be able to play old games again now that you have an Xbox 360. In fact, you are not only going to forget about old games but you are going to forget old friends and some of the older members of your family as well. It will surprise you at first when an old lady comes to your house during a long weekend in November and starts crying when you don't remember her but after a while that sort of thing becomes commonplace and you will think nothing of it. Enjoy your new life!

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#7 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

No, you'll never be able to play legacy games again.

When I bought my 360, all of my legacy games/systems just dissapeared. It sucks but you get used to it.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

I'm reluctant to play a lot of my legacy games because I only have a HDTV, and SD games look like *** on it. I have like a 13" CRT TV in the corner of my bedroom that is never used, has amazing SD quality (so crispy clean) but it's so small I don't think I can live with it when I primarily game on a 28" tv :(

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

If anything newer games make me appreciate retro games more. I hate to sound like an old fart, but they don't make video games like they used to.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

If anything newer games make me appreciate retro games more. I hate to sound like an old fart, but they don't make video games like they used to.

Shenmue_Jehuty
tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
even when i had my first 360 back in 06/07, i was still playing retro stuff way more often. after a month or two it dawns on you that the current generation of gaming hasn't really changed since the last gen , same s*** better graphics.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I have many modern systems and games including a gaming pc but I was playing on my ps1 and ps2 just last week. There are always moments to go back to cool legacy games.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Shenmue_Jehuty

Truer words have never been spoken

However, Iwouldn't write off modern games as being inferior or anything of the sort because of this

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yes you can enjoy modern games. On Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 or in the 8th generation. The Xbox 720 and Playstation 4 and Wii U. Plus still enjoy the Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis and other legacy consoles if you wish.

I enjoy both New and Old videogame consoles. So play Skyrim on Xbox 360. Then play old school games when you want.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

NirdBerd

Truer words have never been spoken

However, Iwouldn't write off modern games as being inferior or anything of the sort because of this

There are a lot of really good modern games, in fact I own a PS3 and Wii, as well as a respectable collection of games for each. My problem with most modern games is that they try so hard to copy each other and exhaust ideas and concepts that have been beat into the ground years earlier, just because the lower denominator of gamers buy and play these games over and over again. I realize that video games are a business and always have been, however I feel like it's become just business. The magic of video games has dwindled to barely being a spark at this point, with very few games possessing the magic that dozens of games released each year on the SNES or PS1 had.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

lol graphics whores are not even real gamers

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#17 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Obviously. Older games are a lot more enjoyable than most new ones. There are a few really awesome current-gen games like the Valkyria Chronicles series but compared to the previous generations they're few and far between.
cyberstalker1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cyberstalker1
Member since 2011 • 412 Posts

Mabe it is just the novelty of the new system and shiney graphics. Once that wears off it will probably collect dust while I play Final Fantasy III.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Planet_Pluto
Member since 2011 • 2235 Posts

To me, playing old school games are a bit like looking at very old photographs. When I look at a photo album with pictures from when I was, say, 5 years old, it's not about whats actually shown in the picture as much as what other memories pop up, triggered by the picture. Every once in a blue moon I'll play Super Mario Bros or some other old NES or Genesis game and it has a similar affect. When I play Super Mario I immediately remember the Sunday afternoon during the summer many years ago when I first beat the game. I remember who my parents were talking to in front of the house. Things like that.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
There is an experimental surgery that removes the awe from new technology, but it hasn't been approved yet. =P
LookAnDrolL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 LookAnDrolL
Member since 2008 • 2483 Posts
Classic games are set very very differently from modern games, imagination play a much bigger role back then Now is all flashy stuff, while underneath most games today are pretty shallow