Will I enjoy 3DS as a hardcore gamer? And is a Vita worth it at this point?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ameer27
Member since 2009 • 369 Posts

I consider myself a hardcore gamer, and I've been interested in the 3DS for a while, but I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy it. My little brother got one last year, so I figured this might be a good opportunity to try out a few games on it. So I guess my question is if I will be able to find enjoyment in the 3DS as a hardcore gamer, before I go ahead and invest time and money in some games.

I initially wanted to get a Vita, but didn't have the budget for it on release, and then the PS4 was announced so I saved up for that instead. Literally the only games I was interested in on the Vita were Gravity Rush, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Persona 4. But then Gravity Rush got remastered on PS4 so I got to play it (and it was great), and also I recently got Persona 5. I've also played all other Uncharted games so not sure if it's worth getting for one game. Is a Vita worth getting at this point? Should I reconsider my decision not to get one?

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#2 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

Both PS Vita and 3DS both have a great line-up of JRPG games on both systems it just depends on the type of games you enjoy playing

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11654 Posts

@Ameer27: Never understood the term "hardcore" in gaming but assume it means you like the hardest of games almost exclusively and don't exactly let games such as Wii Sports dare touch your palette_

Well 3DS has seven Monster Hunter games, and G-Rank hunts makes Dark Souls on NG+8 look like easy mode, so that should tell you a lot.

Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ameer27
Member since 2009 • 369 Posts

@benleslie5: I've never played a JRPG before, Persona 5 is going to be my first. I mostly enjoy RPGs and action adventure games.

@RSM-HQ: As far as I understand it myself, it means one devotes time to gaming and makes it a hobby. Someone who likes to be immersed in games and not just hop in for a few COD matches or some sports game with friends or whatever. Not to be mean, I'm just not interested in those types of games. I don't believe being a hardcore gamer has much to do with the level of difficulty in the games you like, but I do like a challenge in my games myself. Anyway, looks like the 3DS actually does cater to hardcore gamers, contrary to my understanding.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
@Ameer27 said: As far as I understand it myself, it means one devotes time to gaming and makes it a hobby

That may be worded more as an 'enthusiast', I enjoy games, talk about them daily, play them as my main pass time. But I don't really find that hardcore.

The word doesn't really fit that description, but eitherway the whole "hardcore"/"casul" thing makes my eyesroll anyway, because it encourages discrimination. Which we already have in spades within the gaming community thanks to bias system preference.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I've been asking the same question. What it boils down to is that it is hard to take handheld games seriously. On DS, I played through several JRPGs and other long games, but the level of immersion just was not there like it is with console games. The tiny screen seems to prevent immersion...

So, while handhelds are fun to play with, do not expect immersion.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:
@Ameer27 said: As far as I understand it myself, it means one devotes time to gaming and makes it a hobby

That may be worded more as an 'enthusiast', I enjoy games, talk about them daily, play them as my main pass time. But I don't really find that hardcore.

The word doesn't really fit that description, but eitherway the whole "hardcore"/"casul" thing makes my eyesroll anyway, because it encourages discrimination. Which we already have in spades within the gaming community thanks to bias system preference.

I think the whole hardcore/casual references should be made in the way a person plays a game, not in the person or the game itself. A person can 'hardcore' play The Sims, or casually play JRPGs... Tetris being a prime example. One could casually play it, or play it pretty hardcore. I wouldn't say someone who hardcore plays Tetris is a hardcore gamer, if they play nothing BUT that, but you wouldn't call them a casual gamer either. The best way to describe gamers, is just that, you either are a gamer or you're not.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RSM-HQ

@dotWithShoes: I agree Gamer :)

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

I had a 3DS and still have a Vita.

I've found the Vita more satisfying personally because of the games.

On 3DS I played Pokémon X/Y which was my first Pokémon game ever and found it so easy it was ridiculous even finding those rare Pokémon ... and the world is quite bare minimum. I also played a few RPG here and there but it never quite stick with me. Many games felt too easy.

On Vita I obviously played P4G which was amazing to me. I also played a lot KillZone Mercenary, my fav in the serie. Souls Sacrifice is quite intense game to play. I also played Nonary Games and Zero Time Dilemma which was quite amazing too ( also on 3DS ). I dunno I just like JRPG a lot or japanease style game so it is right in my alley

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RSM-HQ

@clefdefa: X/Y was my first as well. Go figure :)

The difficulty I found in Pokémon is usually its post-game content, and online matches. May come across as insulting to very big fans of the series, but it's primarily a 'kids game'. So the adventure is intended to be a breeze, as it's designed so even a child can beat it with little-to-no-effort.

Only way to get some bite out it, is to challenge other players and the challenge modes, then see how your team and strategies stack up. It's the only thing I personally enjoy about the series. . Well that's a lie, I had a lot of fun with Suns story mode to my surprise.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

@RSM-HQ: I also played Omega Red ( I think it is the right name ) and gave up there too. Way too easy and even to get legendary pokémon in the game. I mean I got the stupid diamon shaped unique pokémon super easy, the asshole ghost in a box too ... or in X I got Mewtwo without even knowing he was there.

This is also something with the rest the 3DS, they have stupidly eaasy games and just like ...

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RSM-HQ

@clefdefa: I recommend Monster Hunter if you want some kick. You won't find many real challenging games 'built' for the 3DS. But you can download/ backwards compatibility the likes of Super Castlevania IV, Disgaea, and Chrono Trigger.

Only played two Pokémon games, but I only see the multiplayer as a real challenge, with a few friends it makes match-ups very interesting.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

Both consoles are worth it, Vita more so for the Ps1 games than the actual Vita games, but still.