Will BioWare become Blizzard? (MMORPGs)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts
BioWare is my favorite video game developer. No one can deny the awesomness of Mass Effect or KOTOR. If The Old Republic becomes huge, do you think BioWare will focus most of their energy on that, instead of creating other games? I mean, Blizzad only released 1 game since the creation of World of Warcraft. I'd hate to see the same happen to BioWare.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

There is that possibility, but I think it's a heck of a lot more likely with the direction Mass Effect is going, that they'll become Naughty Dog and make super linear flash over substance TPS campaigns and completely abandon any kind of depth and the RPG genre all together. In fact that seems to be where the industry in general is going. :(

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I do think Bioware is going to become MMORPG-oriented. They already have the KOTOR MMO nearing launch, and I think there's a good chance we'll see a Mass Effect MMO in the future as well. Just my opinion of course, but this is what I see happening.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#4 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

They also made dragon age which is a awesome game. Im currently playing ME2 as a adept and really liking the game.

I hope they stay on track in the rpg genre games. dragon age one is still their best game IMO.

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

I hope they eventually realize that there is still money to be earned by making old fashioned RPG's, why would make all their games in similair fast paced action. Let the games branch out, one staying true to the real RPG's and one becoming more action oriented/faced paced.

I don't see a Bioware MMORPG happening, the genre hasn't seen any innovation for a long time and more and more players start to realize that most of the MMORPG's are extremely shallow. Learn the single best spell rotation, make sure that you invest in that single viable build, and read up on tactics. There isn't much more skill invovled.

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

I do think Bioware is going to become MMORPG-oriented. They already have the KOTOR MMO nearing launch, and I think there's a good chance we'll see a Mass Effect MMO in the future as well. Just my opinion of course, but this is what I see happening.

Vari3ty

Kotor MMO + ME MMO, that would mean competing with themselves.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts
I hope not. I want to see more DA and ME games in the future. Hopefully, the technology required to actively maintain an MMO will allow a greater development team to focus on other projects. It's been six years since, WoW and they're now able to develop Diablo and Starcraft. I'm sure BioWare will follow suit.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23901 Posts

Bioware has 6 studios. BioWare Edmonton, BioWare Austin, BioWare Mythic, BioWare Montreal, BioWare Ireland, and BioWare San Francisco. Of these studios, only one of them works on SWTOR, the rest will work on other games. So no, we will see other games from Bioware.

Oh and Blizzard has been working on other games as well while making stuff for WoW. The thing with Blizzard is, they take their time with games, "soon" for Blizzard means around 2 years.

Also, KOTOR and Mass Effect are garbage, with shallow, generic stories. And lackluster combat, encounter design, hilariously bad writing, and in Mass Effect's case, terrible conversation system.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

SWTOR wont be anywhere near the expected level of response.. it might be "successful" in some way or another like warhammer online is or city of heroes or ff11 but it wont ever be great. its nothing new being reboxed as "new"

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

I don't predict SWTOR to succeed in the same way WoW has. Wither it's because the P2P model is outdated or because it draws from WoW to much. I'll be personally picking up SWTOR at release and while I hope I'm wrong, I doubt I will be. If it can manage 5 million subs within a few years while increasing in size (more players joining than quitting) then I believe Bioware has a high chance of taking the Blizzard route.

Kats_RK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Kats_RK
Member since 2010 • 2080 Posts

I really hope not.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
judging by the mass effect series, i think youll see more online components in bioware's games but theyll on a smaller scale like the deathmatch and coop formats popular now. however, it looks more like the studio bioware has working on the old republic will be an MMO studio and the rest will continue what theyve been doing.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
I doubt it. Though who knows. It could happen eventually. And I think it's a possibility that a huge portion of the industry could go down that road. If the technology gets better.
Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
I would rather bioware stuck to single player rpgs since thats what they have done best in the past(Baldur's Gate, Kotor, Neverwinter Nights, etc.) Online modules/mods like with Neverwinter Nights would be awesome but not much a fun of mmo's and the like. Still willing to give bioware a chance but I'm not a big fan of this new direction they seem to be taking.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

well its kinda obvious bioware is abandoning any kind of deep rpgs for flashy games, so why not?

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Bioware has an entirely separate studio working on TOR. Bioware Austin is doing TOR, Bioware Edmonton is doing Mass Effect singleplayer and Dragon Age and Bioware Montreal is doing the multiplayer for Mass Effect 3