(Wii) online details: Persistant Mii codes, online lobbies and more

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

24th September is the projected date that Nintendo power has listed, for the Online Battalion Wars 2  

In an interview with Next level games, persistent Mii codes were revealed for use with all future online titles 

Mario Strikers interview:

G: So how does getting online work?

NLG: In the menu, there's a spcial NWFC icon. You can see a random list of players from your continent, or play with your friends. Players will be ranked by stars, and the max number of players is four. Only two Wiis can be connected (excuse is to avoid lag), so to play with four you need two people on each Wii.

G: Can you play against people from all across the world?

NLG: Parties are limited to regions corresponding to continents. This limits connection problems caused by distance and you'll still have plenty of people to play with. Regions are: USA, EU, Japan, AUS. Rankings are also region-specific.

G: And the Mii code, how's that work?

NLG: Each Mii generates a Mii code that remains constant. This code will be used for all online titles in the future.

Nintendo Power has detailed online info from two upcoming EA games, Madden and Fifa

Madden 08 details

- Exhibition match-ups

- Online lobby with real-time leaderboards

- EA Locker features

- EA "My Profile" when online, which includes country of origin, win/loss record, defensive percentage, overall ranking, and 5-star
reputation score

- ESPN ticker updates

- Promised downloadable content such as roster updates planned for late 2008, early 2009

- Friend Code Implementation: Unknown as of right now, interface will be similar from other versions. Wii players will be able to
randomly play against an opponent.

- No voice chat, but will offer EA's instant-messaging system

FIFA 08 details

Offline: 22-mini-game party mode, which allow players to play new drills such as the 40-yard dash. Also includes a football-trivia
mini-game. Your performance in party mode will also affect your party mode rating, which can go as high as 99. This rating is recorded via your system's own Mii roster.

- Instant head-to-head action with worldwide gamers

- Up-to-the-moment roster updates

- Virtual League which will allow players to join online tournaments

- Offline: Full Mii roster functionality with mini-games and more.

toment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 toment
Member since 2005 • 8396 Posts
Baby steps... :)
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
I could care less for Madden/FIFA (subpar games), but BW2 sounds like it's on the right track, though I wish more people could connect to a single game.
nuttybar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 nuttybar
Member since 2005 • 9624 Posts

Great.  As an english speaker in the EU i'm going to be (for lack of a better term) stuck with non-english speaking people :( Nothing against them, but I kind of prefer it the normal way.  Also, does that mean if I have someone on my friends list who is in the US, I cant play with him? 

I really hate how confusing Nintendo have made their online service.  Just rip off Xbox Live or the Playstation online and people will be happy, I dont want to be lugged down with all this friends codes crap.  :evil:

And just to throw in some extra nintendo is too slow to advance, europe still doesnt have Super Paper Mario :evil: 

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts

Great.  As an english speaker in the EU i'm going to be (for lack of a better term) stuck with non-english speaking people :( Nothing against them, but I kind of prefer it the normal way.  Also, does that mean if I have someone on my friends list who is in the US, I cant play with him? 

nuttybar

Hey.Hey!HEY!  :evil:   The normal way?  Give your self-esteem some rest will ya?  It's not that because you are not multi-lingual that the rest of Europe is inferior for perhaps not being able to communicate with you.  May I point out to you, sir, that a great percentage of these boards are frequented by kin whose mother tongue is not English yet who all manage to blend in rather well.  But such a thought probably hasn't crossed your mind now has it?

As for not being able to compete with Northern Americans, I believe that Mario Strikers lets you play against 'friends' from all over the globe, while matches it sets up automatically are restricted to your native region.

nuttybar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nuttybar
[QUOTE="nuttybar"]

Great. As an english speaker in the EU i'm going to be (for lack of a better term) stuck with non-english speaking people :( Nothing against them, but I kind of prefer it the normal way. Also, does that mean if I have someone on my friends list who is in the US, I cant play with him?

SupremeAC

Hey.Hey!HEY! :evil: The normal way? Give your self-esteem some rest will ya? It's not that because you are not multi-lingual that the rest of Europe is inferior for perhaps not being able to communicate with you. May I point out to you, sir, that a great percentage of these boards are frequented by kin whose mother tongue is not English yet who all manage to blend in rather well. But such a thought probably hasn't crossed your mind now has it?

As for not being able to compete with Northern Americans, I believe that Mario Strikers lets you play against 'friends' from all over the globe, while matches it sets up automatically are restricted to your native region.

I didnt mean to offend anyone, let me explain.  When playing on the same team as someone I want to bea ble to communicate with them.  Yesterday in the Halo 3 beta, I was ona  team with 3 spanish people playing capture the flag.  We didnt understand eachother at all and we lost.  If I had been able to simply say "The flag is in the vent!", and they were english, we could have stopped the other team from scoring.

You're overreacting too, I never said that non-english speaking people are inferior, and I certainly dont think that to be the case.  The 'normal way' is me saying, let us play with anyone and not be forced into continent specific regions.  

toment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 toment
Member since 2005 • 8396 Posts

I didnt mean to offend anyone, let me explain. When playing on the same team as someone I want to bea ble to communicate with them. Yesterday in the Halo 3 beta, I was ona team with 3 spanish people playing capture the flag. We didnt understand eachother at all and we lost. If I had been able to simply say "The flag is in the vent!", and they were english, we could have stopped the other team from scoring.

You're overreacting too, I never said that non-english speaking people are inferior, and I certainly dont think that to be the case. The 'normal way' is me saying, let us play with anyone and not be forced into continent specific regions.

nuttybar
But it's stated that there won't be any voice chat :| so you won't have to listen to my broken English as I hand you your ass in BW II!
Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Solid_Snake_7
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts
Kind of gives you the impression that Nintendo is afraid to invest a lot of money on the online service. 4 player max? 2 on each Wii? What´s that all about?
nuttybar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nuttybar

But it's stated that there won't be any voice chat :| so you won't have to listen to my broken English as I hand you your ass in BW II!toment

It's stated there is no voice chat for Madden only....but thinking about it, there is no microphone/headset for the Wii...is there? If they do never release a headset for this thing then yeah, what I'm saying is irrelevant and it doesnt matter what language you speak.  I hope that Nintendo does get more serious with its online though, as in doing away with friends codes and having voice chat etc.

Also, I dont mind if the other team is non-english ;) It's only when I'm working with others I want to be able to talk to them. 

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SupremeAC
I didnt mean to offend anyone, let me explain.  When playing on the same team as someone I want to bea ble to communicate with them.  Yesterday in the Halo 3 beta, I was ona  team with 3 spanish people playing capture the flag.  We didnt understand eachother at all and we lost.  If I had been able to simply say "The flag is in the vent!", and they were english, we could have stopped the other team from scoring.

You're overreacting too, I never said that non-english speaking people are inferior, and I certainly dont think that to be the case.  The 'normal way' is me saying, let us play with anyone and not be forced into continent specific regions.  

nuttybar

Yeah, I was overreacting, still you could hardly say you did a good job at making yourself clear.  I can see the frustration from losing a cooperative match due to lack of common tongue, but I'd say that even in Europe, most people and especially most gamers have a good enough grasp of English for such things not to be an issue 99% of the time.  Besides, it's not like the Wii has Voip at this point anyway.

nuttybar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nuttybar

still you could hardly say you did a good job at making yourself clear.

SupremeAC

I agree and apologise for that.  Hug? :oops: 

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
Good to finally hear some info about online. :)
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gaminggeek

Kind of gives you the impression that Nintendo is afraid to invest a lot of money on the online service. 4 player max? 2 on each Wii? What´s that all about?Solid_Snake_7

Sorry I should have made clear Next Level games were only commenting on how the online works in Strikers, although according to them, persistent mii codes will exist.

S2333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 S2333
Member since 2005 • 1096 Posts
Do I really want my Mii being shown though? Cause my Mii looks exactly like me.
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

[QUOTE="Solid_Snake_7"]Kind of gives you the impression that Nintendo is afraid to invest a lot of money on the online service. 4 player max? 2 on each Wii? What´s that all about?gaminggeek

Sorry I should have made clear Next Level games were only commenting on how the online works in Strikers, although according to them, persistent mii codes will exist.

Well then here's to hoping for BW2. Four player max for Strikers make sense, but for a game like Battalion Wars, it would be far better to just let everyone control a player. 

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Hmm well its baby steps like torment said... but making billions in profit over the years I see no excuse for Nintendo to not have a persistent online network like Live or PSonline..... its like they spent all their profits on opium, sampled some and then came up with these ideas.
rodri_ng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rodri_ng
Member since 2005 • 238 Posts
good to know thath online play is on the way
jjj13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#18 jjj13
Member since 2005 • 2399 Posts
I hope they get it off the ground soon. They are way behind. I would love for a online experience as deep as the 360's.
SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SupremeAC

I hope they get it off the ground soon. They are way behind. I would love for a online experience as deep as the 360's.jjj13

Eh, as long as they keep it free and keep the friend code hassle to a minimum I'm happy.  Chat would be nice though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts

Nintendo finally getting some online play going. Its 5 years too late, but better late than never.

I'm totally pumped for Battalion Wars 2. I just hope I can play anyone I want...a few people here need me to crush them I think.

Hopefully Madden is good online too. More 3rd-party online games would be great. E3 should have more news.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
If there's one thing Nintendo should have ripped off of Microsoft (and every other online service) from the start, it's having persistent gamertags/usernames that carry across all games. I'll be happy as long as they get there eventually...
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gaminggeek

Mario Strikers is already out in europe, I know being soccer and less popular in america it doesn't interest many. I've heard from owners that the online is lag free and pretty great although traffic problems at peak times in cases.

Anyhow the IGN review was quite positive about the online aspect.

Rather than covering old ground, you can check out our detailed breakdown of Charged's Wi-Fi features elsewhere on IGN. In summary though, it's an incredibly promising start for Nintendo's online ambitions. Even with those ever-controversial Friend Codes present, it's hard to fault the feature list here.

With a permanent friend roster keeping track of everyone's online status and game progress; extensive leaderboard data; Rival play; individual Mii-specific Friend Codes so multiple players can record their football prowess; a simple instant notification system for match requests with another online player and the option for four-man matches, with two players per Wii, there really is much to be admired with Mario Strikers inaugural online advances. Sure, Xbox Live stalwarts might complain about lack of voice chat and a good few other things, but for a first console attempt on an entirely free service we're more than happy with the feature list and smooth play. Hopefully we'll see even more from Nintendo as its online service matures, but there's absolutely no denying the massive boost Charged's online option gives to the games longevity in both multiplayer and - more significantly - solo modes.

The reviews in general have been quite positive too, scoring in the high 8s consistently.  

AbusementPark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AbusementPark
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts
I'm looking forward to an online Nintendo game that actually has a lobby, but what about the messaging system? Can we finally talk to strangers, or is it limited to friends?
Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mantorok
Member since 2002 • 2558 Posts

[QUOTE="jjj13"]I hope they get it off the ground soon. They are way behind. I would love for a online experience as deep as the 360's.SupremeAC

Eh, as long as they keep it free and keep the friend code hassle to a minimum I'm happy. Chat would be nice though.

Would be nice yeah, but not for the people who beat me - my choice of words for them is not usually appropriate seeing as I'm a bad loser!!

overfeind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 overfeind
Member since 2004 • 2984 Posts
It seems like the Wii follows the DS model eaxtly when it come to online games.  The games themselves will enable online play rather than the system, which is opposite of XBLA service where the system offers online and the games just access whats already built in.  Its baby steps, but with the right type of game online I don't think people will mind in the end.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

Nintendo finally getting some online play going. Its 5 years too late, but better late than never.

I'm totally pumped for Battalion Wars 2. I just hope I can play anyone I want...a few people here need me to crush them I think.

Hopefully Madden is good online too. More 3rd-party online games would be great. E3 should have more news.

EdgecrusherAza
Your armys will fall before me :evil: