(Wii) iteration of Animal Crossing is set to be a social networking MMO

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

Animal Crossing Wii Goes MMO

This could work brilliantly: Animal Crossing for Wii is getting the MMO treatment. Full scoop inside...

Animal Crossing for the Wii will be an MMO/social networking title. It's no great surprise - in a few short years, Animal Crossing has become one of Nintendo's most-loved and top selling franchises (over seven million copies sold), particularly in Japan. Nintendo refers to the title as a 'communications game' rather than a videogame, and....

...more at the link^ :)

Animal crossing fans click here :P

Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts
Wow that sounds extremely promising, I was worried if the current Animal Crossing mould could hold up for another incarnation; obviously Nintendo were too. The possibilities seem staggering already.
zayas_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 zayas_81
Member since 2004 • 1743 Posts
:lol: @ Link! I don't know about the MMO factor, I've always like the the quirky NPC's and the innocent interactions we share, I don't know if I'll like a fat frog cursing at me because he doesn't like my home decor...
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
Other than perhaps Pokemon, Animal Crossing is perhaps the easiest and best choice for going the MMO route for Nintendo. I'm not sure how deeply this will affect gameplay (it could be as simple as visiting other towns through the internet), but it could only benefit the game. It'll be great to get into an Animal Crossing game again.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gaminggeek
Well animal crossing was always a communication game. Melded with wiiconnect 24 and the mii system and it pretty much is what it is. It has great potential to mess about on, especially if it has downloadable items for the shop and user creations with the wii remote or even DS communication.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Ever since Sony announced Home, I have been thinking that Nintendo should do this with Animal Crossing, as I think it will be a lot more fun that Home could ever be*.  It just makes sense...
...On a related note, where do I go in the Wii menu to find my friend code?  I dig for it every once in a while, but I am honestly clueless.

*For the record, I'm not insinuating that Nintendo is stealing from Home in the least.  It was more that when Sony announced Home, my imagination immediately went to what Nintendo could do with a next-gen Animal Crossing.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gaminggeek

Ever since Sony announced Home, I have been thinking that Nintendo should do this with Animal Crossing, as I think it will be a lot more fun that Home could ever be*. It just makes sense...
...On a related note, where do I go in the Wii menu to find my friend code? I dig for it every once in a while, but I am honestly clueless.

*For the record, I'm not insinuating that Nintendo is stealing from Home in the least. It was more that when Sony announced Home, my imagination immediately went to what Nintendo could do with a next-gen Animal Crossing.rragnaar

IIRC you go to your mail, then click on contacts and it should be there on the front page.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]Ever since Sony announced Home, I have been thinking that Nintendo should do this with Animal Crossing, as I think it will be a lot more fun that Home could ever be*. It just makes sense...
...On a related note, where do I go in the Wii menu to find my friend code? I dig for it every once in a while, but I am honestly clueless.

*For the record, I'm not insinuating that Nintendo is stealing from Home in the least. It was more that when Sony announced Home, my imagination immediately went to what Nintendo could do with a next-gen Animal Crossing.gaminggeek

IIRC you go to your mail, then click on contacts and it should be there on the front page.

Grr!  I'd been digging around in the menus, specifically the WiiConnect24 stuff, and the online settings.  Oh well...
zoradude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zoradude
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts
I love the idea personally... My mom won't be to thrilled though, she hates ACWW only because it was on a handheld....She seriously thinks the next game should be released on the cube... sigh she just doesn't get how it all works.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Oilers99

I love the idea personally... My mom won't be to thrilled though, she hates ACWW only because it was on a handheld....She seriously thinks the next game should be released on the cube... sigh she just doesn't get how it all works.zoradude

You could explain to her that the Wii is just a smaller Gamecube... that's partially true.;)

zoradude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zoradude

[QUOTE="zoradude"]I love the idea personally... My mom won't be to thrilled though, she hates ACWW only because it was on a handheld....She seriously thinks the next game should be released on the cube... sigh she just doesn't get how it all works.Oilers99

You could explain to her that the Wii is just a smaller Gamecube... that's partially true.;)

lol I really have tried, she always responds with something like "But don't they care about the people that don't own wii's yet?" and I am just like... No. Doesn't sink with her.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Oilers99
[QUOTE="Oilers99"]

[QUOTE="zoradude"]I love the idea personally... My mom won't be to thrilled though, she hates ACWW only because it was on a handheld....She seriously thinks the next game should be released on the cube... sigh she just doesn't get how it all works.zoradude

lol I really have tried, she always responds with something like "But don't they care about the people that don't own wii's yet?" and I am just like... No. Doesn't sink with her.

There's always the whole VHS to DVD analogy... only more frequent.

zoradude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zoradude
I've actually used that exact comparison with her haha, she will catch on someday hopefully. Heck, when I think about it though she did the same thing when DVDs were overtaking VHS.
Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts
I just ran over here to talk about this. Does anyone seriosuly believe Nintendo, with their history online, is capable of pulling this off? I'm a huge AC fan, and this is a natural fit, I just doubt N can pull it off in a way that would get people to actually connect online.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gaminggeek

I've actually used that exact comparison with her haha, she will catch on someday hopefully. Heck, when I think about it though she did the same thing when DVDs were overtaking VHS.zoradude

Here's what to say word for word, this is what I would say:

"Look, shut it mother, you have no idea what you're talking about. Stop being so cheap, your son needs something new to play with. Get it or I'll hate you forever."

zoradude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zoradude
Nintendo is full of surprises, we all know this. Take a look at the Power Glove then take a look at the Wii remote, I have confidence in Nintendo nailing anything they want to perfectly.
zoradude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zoradude

[QUOTE="zoradude"]I've actually used that exact comparison with her haha, she will catch on someday hopefully. Heck, when I think about it though she did the same thing when DVDs were overtaking VHS.gaminggeek

Here's what to say word for word, this is what I would say:

"Look, shut it mother, you have no idea what you're talking about. Stop being so cheap, your son needs something new to play with. Get it or I'll hate you forever."

LOL, replace AC with Wii and thats basically how last week was for me... sure its a bit more detailed then that but hey its more or less still the same!

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gaminggeek

I just ran over here to talk about this. Does anyone seriosuly believe Nintendo, with their history online, is capable of pulling this off? I'm a huge AC fan, and this is a natural fit, I just doubt N can pull it off in a way that would get people to actually connect online.aspro73

I don't see what they have to pull off. It's online on the DS already, you can already visit other people's towns. They are making strides already. I see the Mii integration into animal crossing as a natural evolution of the series. They have voice chat in the upcoming Advance wars DS so I don't see why they would object to it in AC Wii. Downloadable items won't be a problem, especially seeing how it's likely to look aestetically pleasing albeit technically low-end. What I want more than anything is regional towns. Have differences between towns depending on what country you are registered in, an oriental inspired town with cherry blossoms and chinese architecture and so forth for other regions. Then when you go to visit someone else's town on the other side of the world via wii connect 24 you'd get a real thrill. Maybe they could even route your emails through to a animal crossing wii channel?

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
Nintendo is full of surprises, we all know this. Take a look at the Power Glove then take a look at the Wii remote, I have confidence in Nintendo nailing anything they want to perfectly.zoradude
Nintendo didn't have anything to do with making the Power Glove, though, IIRC, as that was made by Mattel.
zoradude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zoradude

[QUOTE="zoradude"]Nintendo is full of surprises, we all know this. Take a look at the Power Glove then take a look at the Wii remote, I have confidence in Nintendo nailing anything they want to perfectly.Skylock00
Nintendo didn't have anything to do with making the Power Glove, though, IIRC, as that was made by Mattel.

Hmm, really? I am going to have to look into this. If so Nintendo steals ideas and makes it better? :O

Still though my statement stands, the wii remote is ridiculous and everyone thought it to be a gimmick, if they can get by with something such as it I have faith in them to pull off anything else.

Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts

I love the idea personally... My mom won't be to thrilled though, she hates ACWW only because it was on a handheld....She seriously thinks the next game should be released on the cube... sigh she just doesn't get how it all works.zoradude

Um... there is a Gamecube version.

Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

[QUOTE="aspro73"]I just ran over here to talk about this. Does anyone seriosuly believe Nintendo, with their history online, is capable of pulling this off? I'm a huge AC fan, and this is a natural fit, I just doubt N can pull it off in a way that would get people to actually connect online.gaminggeek

I don't see what they have to pull off. It's online on the DS already, you can already visit other people's towns. They are making strides already. I see the Mii integration into animal crossing as a natural evolution of the series. They have voice chat in the upcoming Advance wars DS so I don't see why they would object to it in AC Wii. Downloadable items won't be a problem, especially seeing how it's likely to look aestetically pleasing albeit technically low-end. What I want more than anything is regional towns. Have differences between towns depending on what country you are registered in, an oriental inspired town with cherry blossoms and chinese architecture and so forth for other regions. Then when you go to visit someone else's town on the other side of the world via wii connect 24 you'd get a real thrill. Maybe they could even route your emails through to a animal crossing wii channel?

Some great ideas in there. I've been dreaming about an AC MMO for years -- being able to sell my clothes and umbrella designs for bell. Well, hope you are right, but I'll be dubious about friend codes for evah.
zoradude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 zoradude

[QUOTE="zoradude"]I love the idea personally... My mom won't be to thrilled though, she hates ACWW only because it was on a handheld....She seriously thinks the next game should be released on the cube... sigh she just doesn't get how it all works.Caviglia

Um... there is a Gamecube version.

of course there is, read my other comments. Thats the version she loves to death.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gaminggeek
[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

[QUOTE="aspro73"]I just ran over here to talk about this. Does anyone seriosuly believe Nintendo, with their history online, is capable of pulling this off? I'm a huge AC fan, and this is a natural fit, I just doubt N can pull it off in a way that would get people to actually connect online.aspro73

Some great ideas in there. I've been dreaming about an AC MMO for years -- being able to sell my clothes and umbrella designs for bell. Well, hope you are right, but I'll be dubious about friend codes for evah.

The only game I own with an online mode is Elebits and what that game does is just pull up your existing wii friends list so I never had to enter any codes or anything. I saw videos showing that mario strikers did the same thing. I believe that in that game you can also play against other people based on skill or just randomly too. Good idea on the clothes for cash idea. You know what else would be good? User created landscapes and levels, like the ablility to draw your own boundries, dig swimming pools, make pathways etc.

Or maybe open your own restaurant. Oh Oh! You know you can post pics to the wii message board from the SD card? Be able to do that in your house for the pictures on the mantlepiece :D And have your own tunes running from the SD card on the jukebox.