Why would anyone care about Crackdown 3?

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

The game seems so confused as to what it is.

This is the closing statement from trustedreviews.com

"...looks like a fairly old-school game that follows the same “go here and kill things” mission format that’s as old as the hills."

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/crackdown-3

All I can from the trailer is bright colours and 'splotions.

It looks like a 7 year old’s fever dream fantasy. But what kind of game it is alludes me as I don’t see any bombs being planted, just some idiot with a cannon, then a magnet car, then a tank, then a tennis ball-bomb-gun etc… Kind of like Saints Row. I am over-stimulated and confused at this point.

This is clearly just a game where there are big guns and you shoot them. The game design seems to kind of end there.

I think this is a shame for a couple of reasons.

1) The original arcade game was a really strong concept (by modern standards) as it focuses on planting bombs and getting to the exit without being killed by all the goons. This concept has clearly long since been abandoned.

2) Game developers are so obsessed with open worlds and making everything 3d and flat that you are left with a walking simulator. 'Go here for 20 minutes then shoot the place up, then repeat.'

As much as the idea that more is more as in the Saints Row philosophy of game design, Philip Stark (famous designer) coined the term 'less os more' and that was in the 90's. So game design is basically still in the 80's in terms of design philosophy.

Games need to grow up big time. Because this game is so bland and gunmetal grey that I'm being put into a coma/infant fever dream only a few seconds into the trailer.

The original game was so solid in it's design you could easily take that to make infinite sequels but they seem to just want to make 'a game'. With Crackdown in the title.

Oh and it's open world.

One big huge gigantic epic M'EHHHHH!!!!!!

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@jackamomo:

Why would anyone care about Crackdown 3?

Guilty pleasure coop. But "care" is too strong a word for me with this game_

If we break everything down. Crackdown 3 will most certainly be a discount game (not full price). It looks rough, and focusing on the original games strengths and weaknesses. If people expect more, or plan to play Single-Player? They're most certainly going to have a bad experience.

I had fun with a friend on the original Crackdown, without him would have most certainly shunned it for the rough game it is, even on 360 release.

Me and my friend still play coop for most of our Multiplayer games, most much better than Crackdown and what we expect for CD3. If he asks me to play this with him, and it is discounted, I'd at least give it a try. For jolly cooperation.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Because they have nothing else to play.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jackamomo

@RSM-HQ: So you could play multiplayer CD2 via a mod I gather.

So it's basically Saints Row?.

I can dig that but I still say it's like not an original game so the only people who would buy it just want to play a game that has guns and a death match and is a new shiny AA/AAA game.

I've said it once and I'll say it again.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ

@jackamomo:

So you could play multiplayer CD2 via a mod I gather.

I doubt any mods can save Crackdown 2.

And this is someone who tried modding Skyrim till it turned into an RPG with depth.

I have no idea what your picture is trying to tell us. But if it's a slap against SEGA. I approve, they've made stupid decisions for a long time. And only Atlus and Vocaloid keeps them consistently relevant, best thing SEGA could do is get Christian Whitehead to replace Sonic Team.

Relevance to a dumb coop game? None.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Care? After the constant delays MS is making it very difficult to care for this game. It may turn out great and might be bad but long delays negatively impact my desire to play anything. That isn't singling out MS because I'd feel the same for any developer.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jackamomo

@RSM-HQ: The picture was drawn for another thread about the big companies in the industry and a reference to Planet of the Apes which I'm sure you got. But it's saying SEGA is a relic from a bygone era.

Today's SEGA bears little resemblance to the 90's-00's SEGA but I miss it because it made original games and my biggest gripe with this game is how generic it all looks to me.

EDIT: For the record I don't rate the new Sonic games, they spend most of the time flinging Sonic around these massive levels without any input from you and the levels are poorly designed. It's pure nostalgia cash-in and not an authentic 16bit game.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RSM-HQ

@jackamomo:

not an authentic 16bit game

Hmm I thought Sonic Mania was well designed, can't really see the complaint

However. Just wondering if you're a Beat em' Up fan like myself? If so_

Download Bare Knuckle Remake for some Sega love. It was developed as a fanmade game by Bomber Games and is actually really well made, would even place it over Christian Whiteheads work for Sonic Mania, which seems you don't rate highly. It's free so not really a risky investment.

And grab Dragon's Crown if you want to play a modern day Golden Axe with vastly better mechanics and replayability. You'll have to pay for that one but you can get it on three different platforms and is cross-play on all three.

You're welcome :)

original games and my biggest gripe with this game is how generic it all looks to me

Let's be real. In reference to Crackdown. CD was always generic. Most even bought it purely for a Halo demo, which should speak volumes.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jackamomo

@RSM-HQ: You're welcome :)

Don't patronise me I already knew about all those games. If I want to play SoR I can on an emulator, the remake just looks geeky to me. A nice tribute but not different enough to the original to warrant my time.

Hmm I thought Sonic Mania was well designed, can't really see the complaint

We are all entitled to our opinions. Even if they are wrong or misguided. ;)

Dragon's Crown looks shit. Also it annoys me how it shat all over the original design for Princess Crown and it's gender politics are in the gutter.

CD was always generic

The original arcade game is very original in it's design, hence why I'm so disappointed at how stupid boring and bloated the series is now and has absolutely nothing to do with the eponymous game from the 80's.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RSM-HQ
@jackamomo said:

Don't patronise me

Someone's lippy. Tried relating to your taste, no reason to be an ass about it.

I already knew about all those games. If I want to play SoR I can on an emulator, the remake just looks geeky to me. A nice tribute but not different enough to the original to warrant my time

So you never tried it? Your lose dood, seems to me you'd rather feed nostalgia than play a vastly superior experience. That's free! If you consider Crackdown 2 mods worth your time but not a beloved Remake. . think that tells us more about your time, and how it's warranted.

We are all entitled to our opinions. Even if they are wrong or misguided. ;)

Hmm, I will take that at face value. Had fun with Mania. Not going to call it a great platformer but as someone who played Sonic and Knuckles just before Manias release I would give it equal respect. from both mechanical and level design. Bosses did seem lacking and only one Bonus stage (S3 reused) was uninspiring. You've given little reason to make me take you serious on that game regardless so will keep it as such.

Dragon's Crown looks shit. Also it annoys me how it shat all over the original design for Princess Crown and it's gender politics are in the gutter.

previously didn't take you for someone who bases things on a glimpse, but the overall experience. All the above showed me otherwise. And weakens your Crackdown 3 argument because it shows a case of double standards.

Back to Dragon's Crown. Plays nothing like Princess Crown anyway. George Kamitani san has written DC is the successor of his teams D&D Beat em' Ups back when they worked for Capcom. From a design concept it was long ago visually closer to Princess Crown back when Capcom was going to be the publisher, which was a rejected concept. Later visually re imagined to fit Golden Axe references and Metal albums. Odin Sphere and Muramasa are designed as Princess Crown successors. Those that have the DC artbook already have this interview on the games development, and how Vanillaware look to the future, it also hinted at his now 13 Sentinels project.

But you believe the "shat" you want to believe. Nonsense as it is. Another great game you'd rather not play because Crackdown 2 mods are more 'warranted of your time'. .

Yet. No. Instead I'll try recommending one last game. Mother Russia Bleeds. I'm sure that'll be slapped back in my face like all the above. . lol. It's another Beat em' Up for clarity.

The original arcade game is very original in it's design, hence why I'm so disappointed at how stupid boring and bloated the series is now

No dood, what was original exactly about Crackdown?

Open world nonsense was already over-bloated on the 128-bit generation. You even had superhero games throwing cars in coop sandbox worlds. Crackdown did nothing original, it was an early 360 game with coop and was acceptable because it didn't have much completion on the system (at the time) fun, dumb, joyride. Didn't have to be more however_

has absolutely nothing to do with the eponymous game from the 80's

. . . what? Crackdown was in the 80's. Can any @Users 30+ confirm this? Pretty sure Jackamomo is just troIIing at this point.

*Regardless that all seemed thrown in my face for whatever reason. You have an odd perspective on gaming, I'll give you that. But little else. I'll go back enjoying great games while you complain that they're not great; like a common Youtuber (≧ڡ≦*)

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

To me it just looks like a bit of dumb fun... similar to the original. Kind of like watching a Michael Bay film. It's definitely nothing special or groundbreaking, but just a bit of "turn your brain off" fun.

nicholasbasile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nicholasbasile
Member since 2004 • 39 Posts

I played the original Crackdown and was mildly entertained. It had a unique style but the enemy AI was not very impressive and the tasks got repetitive. I have optimism that the newest entry will improve, but I don't really know how many people are champing at the bit for it. Maybe I'm wrong... I'm not particularly excited but hopefully my initial impressions are proven wrong.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jackamomo

@RSM-HQ: Someone's lippy. Tried relating to your taste, no reason to be an ass about it.

This is a forum, you are supposed to be lippy. Very odd term btw, not heard that for about a generation. What makes you think I like beat-em-ups anyway? They're fine but I'm not a fan in particular.

Mother Russia Bleeds does not look good. I would sooner play TMNT: Hyperstone Heist or some such as it was a game made by professionals (Konami in this case), not some dork in his bedroom claiming authenticity because he used pixel art.

The original game was an arcade game released in 1989 then 1990 for the Genesis. It is better than everything that followed bearing the name and it was an action puzzle game.

I've never played any modern Crackdown game. They just look dull and I'm not even sure what your supposed to do in them but there's nothing to do with blowing up buildings so I think they missed a trick.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RSM-HQ

@jackamomo:

This is a forum, you are supposed to be

Not really, that's System-Wars. In Games Discussions it's about having the discussions not the attitude, whether it be light hearted or detailed context. Being offensive for no particular reason weakens ones case

Very odd term btw, not heard that for about a generation

Someone on GFAQ used "lippy" yesterday on the MH:W board. I found it funny so have used it a few times since, I even needed to ask what it exactly means. At first I thought it was an insult calling someone fishface.

Mother Russia Bleeds does not look good. I would sooner play TMNT: Hyperstone Heist

Hey, I tried. Not a fan of the Turtles Beat em' Ups, most of the genre has come a long way since the stiff gameplay of old. But if that's what you'd rather play? Who am I to question someones interest. . If you ever get over your sudden declaration. At least give BKR a try, it's free and you'd probably have more fun than you think. Would go back mentioning how awesome DC is but seems Princess Crown has given you a stubborn stance against a completely different kind of game. Which is a shame. Never ventured never gained dood. Dragon's Crown is easily my favorite Vanillaware game, and I've played them all :)

The original game was an arcade game released in 1989

Are you sure that's the same Crackdown? Zero puzzles in the Crackdown I've played. My guess is Microsoft purchased the naming rights and developed a completely different series.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jackamomo

@RSM-HQ: I actually haven't played TMNT: HSH but it factors higher up than Mother Russia Bleeds as a beat-em-up to maybe play one day.

Crackdown by Sega and Crackdown by MS are two very different games but share the same game world setting which is a kind of dystopian near future with bio-genetically altered super beings.

Also the same eery kind of noise can be heard in both the Genesis and MS versions which I heard earlier today and think it's in the menu for CD2 xbox360.

It is the best eery noise ever.

Loading Video...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I think that it looks like it’ll turn out to be a good and fun game to play. I’m not really expecting it to be some kind of Game of the Year contender and that’s fine with me.

Lion_Alhazred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lion_Alhazred
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

Only sega worth something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Probably because the first Crackdown was so good and people want another slice of the crackdown cake. Phil said on the Giant Bombcast last week that he delayed it because he didn't want to push it out underdone like they did with CD2.

Also if the game is clearly so beneath you why do you even care? Surely you have loads of cerebral games you can play to tax that massive head of yours!

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@jackamomo: You're easily becoming the worst poster on this site.

Hexagone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hexagone
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

I think the overhype is real this time...

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RSM-HQ
@hexagone said:

I think the overhype is real this time...

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

Is it the game that has a MP with heavy destructible environment? If yes, I'm interested in that.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

only those who enjoyed the previous 2 games which I feel is a niche set of people. People forget that crackdown 1 was brought by a lot for the halo 3 beta.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RSM-HQ
@gmak2442 said:

Is it the game that has a MP with heavy destructible environment? If yes, I'm interested in that.

What ever became of Red Faction? I remember them being very destructive.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:
@gmak2442 said:

What ever became of Red Faction? I remember them being very destructive.

Syfy channel sponsored one and it kind of got away from the destruction formula. The one previous to that was an open world game with destruction mechanics but the game was poorly executed.

I'm also curious as to who these people are that are excited for Crackdown. To each his own, but I don't remember either of the prequels getting that much love at the time, so it's odd to me that when 3 shows its face at E3, streamers and websites expect me to suddenly care. "the long awaited sequel to a game that a handful of people liked is here, folks!" If we're getting sequels to generic 360 first wave releases, how bout some love for Bullet Witch?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

I'm interested in seeing just how AAA this turns out. We've seen how previous games like sea of thieves and state of decay 2 have turned out. I'm hopeful but slightly anxious as a fan of the previous 2.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

ive lost interest in the game

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RSM-HQ

@Ish_basic:

Syfy channel sponsored one and it kind of got away from the destruction formula. The one previous to that was an open world game with destruction mechanics but the game was poorly executed.

Guess that says it all. Never actually played a RF game. Metalwolf and Armored Core was my kind of destruction game. I just recall RF being well regarded for destruction and fun gameplay. Going a generic direction to fit the times usually sinks developers and kills IPs. Shame.

I'm also curious as to who these people are that are excited for Crackdown. I don't remember either of the prequels getting that much love at the time, so it's odd to me that when 3 shows its face at E3

Don't think wanting more variety is a bad thing, and while I agree only liked the original CD on a very basic-coop level. Who knows how the new one will turn out. The reason the original was looked at with as much notice as it was, is over the Halo 3 demo that came with it. That tells me Microsoft didn't think much of the original Crackdown all those years ago, as they needed a hook to sell the game. They might try something similar with CD3, and that'll be a good idea of the games quality if so.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

@Ish_basic:

Guess that says it all. Never actually played a RF game. Metalwolf and Armored Core was my kind of destruction game. I just recall RF being well regarded for destruction and fun gameplay. Going a generic direction to fit the times usually sinks developers and kills IPs. Shame.

oh, they made a movie as part of that, too. I gotta say, though, as far as videogame movies go it wasn't the worst.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RSM-HQ

@Ish_basic: I've been told on another Forum that an Austrian Publisher called Nordic Games has bought the rights to Red Faction, and plan to continue the franchise, so fans of that series have some hope yet I guess. Whether that just be remasters or new games however is anyone's guess.