Why video game developers stopped putting split screen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by crazyguy111 (406 posts) -

Most of the best and most memorable moments that I had in gaming was during split screen when me and my family or friends were competing against each other in a game.So just wondering why video game developers stopped implementing split screen? Thoughts?

#2 Posted by Jacanuk (11591 posts) -

@crazyguy111: Ehmm, it might be because its not needed as much anymore but there are still games out there on console who does co-op with split-screen.

#3 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

I dont think game devs care much about local multiplayer anymore.

#4 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

Because they want more Money.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#5 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12570 posts) -

There are still split screen games being made though.

#6 Posted by crazyguy111 (406 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

There are still split screen games being made though.

Yeah, but not nearly as many as they used to.

#7 Edited by mastermetal777 (3215 posts) -

Split screen is quickly being replaced with online co-op. As much as I love split-screen co-op at times, I hate the smaller screen I have to see through in order to play it. I prefer having my full screen when it comes to co-op, to be honest.

#8 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@mastermetal777

Uhm... Split Screen is not actually about the screen or even about you. Its about sharing....

#9 Posted by Archangel3371 (22737 posts) -

@mastermetal777 said:

Split screen is quickly being replaced with online co-op. As much as I love split-screen co-op at times, I hate the smaller screen I have to see through in order to play it. I prefer having my full screen when it comes to co-op, to be honest.

Yeah same here, I've always hated having to share screen space no matter how big the tv. Online co-op is my preference.

#10 Posted by MirkoS77 (12499 posts) -

I think it's partly to do with the fact that many people's lifestyles have changed, so much so that the extra developmental time is deemed more effectively utilized elsewhere. Many now play online (don't have statistics, but I'm willing to bet it's well in favor of online rather than local). I think this largely is also cultural and this is why Nintendo games still do split screen/local whereas the West doesn't so much.

#11 Posted by BoomPains (70 posts) -

@crazyguy111 said:

Most of the best and most memorable moments that I had in gaming was during split screen when me and my family or friends were competing against each other in a game.So just wondering why video game developers stopped implementing split screen? Thoughts?

Well for me Split screen really distracts me, especially when you are sharing your screen with your opponent, just like Crash Bandicoot..haha I enjoyed that much but sometimes it causes distraction for me. But now, Im used to MMO's and split screen doesn't make any sense anymore ^_-. Now, I'm only playing RBF as my current game, and still im searching for possible games to playwith.

#12 Edited by kingcrimson24 (824 posts) -

over the past few years developers are caring less and less for offline features and started paying more attention to online stuff because they can make more money from it . like EA with NFS and Burnout . its really ridicules that a racing game doesn't have split screen . me and my brother were mad as hell when we bought burnout paradise and then realized unlike the old burnout games , this one doesn't have split screen . i sold the game a day later . stupid EA -_-

however there are still games that keep their split screen . Halo , Borderlands and even COD .

I still play Halo split screen with my friends and my brother . i hope 343 keeps it in Halo 5 .

#13 Edited by amalager (121 posts) -

@crazyguy111 said:

I know the feeling. Haha. Well I even experienced it myself. I have the same question as well as yours. Nothing to share as a thought why this happened. Sorry.

#14 Posted by thehig1 (6153 posts) -

Online multiplayer has killed local mulitplayer.

#15 Posted by Treflis (13287 posts) -

It is the simple manner of sales. Split screen allows two people to play the game while only one of them have paid for it. If both require the game to play together then they've sold two copies as opposed to one.

#16 Posted by natsm (63 posts) -

@Treflis said:

It is the simple manner of sales. Split screen allows two people to play the game while only one of them have paid for it. If both require the game to play together then they've sold two copies as opposed to one.

^

#17 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

The Market for split-screen is pretty darn low, especially nowadays with online gaming.

#18 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

The genre of 4-player couch games seems to be making a slow but promising comeback. (Ex. Nigghog, Samurai Gun)

#19 Posted by PapaTrop (1792 posts) -

Because everyone got online access, and found it to be more convenient, and in many cases more fun as well.

#20 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@PapaTrop

More fun ? underneath 4 players, I sincerely doubt that.

#21 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@PapaTrop

#22 Edited by PapaTrop (1792 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@PapaTrop

I love the new experience of random people in each match I play.

It's a "different" type of fun from 4 player splitscreen, but to me I think it can be as fun or more fun in many cases.

You can't play 16v16 TF2 matches splitscreen. You can't ever get an experience as grand as something like World of Warcraft with 4 player splitscreen. You can't proclaim dominance of the worldwide leaderboards in splitscreen.

Plus, the whole while you play online, you can still play with friends. I do it all the time, and we're all just as loud and obnoxious in Skype as we are in person.

#23 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@PapaTrop

Thats where LAN comes in.... Honestly if theres anyway to avoid going online then I want it ! :p

#24 Posted by Tonyx429 (77 posts) -

Obviously developers remove the code for split screen and replace it with online multiplayer code.

They need to save space on the game disc for other content, since games today are getting larger. Look at the ps3, they need blu-ray discs.

#25 Posted by SadTruth (6 posts) -

Split-screen co-op reduces picture quality and doubles player related computations. In single player you get all 4 Ghz instead of 2 Ghz a piece in split-screen.

The lack of couch co-op is quickly making a console in my home a waste of money. You prefer to online multiplayer alone Which is just a weird concept. No one is stopping single player you don't have to co-op. It allows you to do it yourself even when it has co-op you lose nothing no matter what. I lose everything single player is half done or worse time-limited which should be considered career suicide. Multiplayer has a bunch of whiny glitchy laggy crap I just don't want to deal with. I am not interested in anything new in the last 4 years destiny 3 days, AW 2 days, BOPs I would rather eat a bedbug, halo 4 7 days because I enjoyed playing with my friend offline. Halo 5 I know better I will watch it on YouTube. FF13-FF13 3 was a disaster bad mechanics all around single target attacks didn't exist because the AI would move across the map and stand next to the toon under attack. FF13-2 I still don't understand the plot but at least serah stayed out of my way. FF13-3 TIME LIMIT it was either play the story or die. So side quests became a way for lightning to fail all of creation it was bloody nonsense. Dragon Age: Inquisition I played til I got the castle then shelved it I will probably never finish it. I will end up with an Xbox one because I still have a year of gold and they give free stuff beyond that I don't know a reason to keep on playing. When you leave a lobby the chance you ever interact with the same people is less likely than a plane crash. So machismo is a waste of effort I press B you are no longer a being in my reality nor will you ever be again. I went from 3 day halo 3/MW2 binges to almost complete apathy. I wish it was different but it isn't around early 30 everything you love has been warped by tweens and college age hipsters who think they can make you care about whatever it is they have to say. While you wait for the occasional gleam of a gem to bring you joy for about a month or less. More if you can play with your kids but that hasn't happened in years.

TL:DR- New Games fail to entertain me. Damn kids.

#26 Edited by mrbojangles25 (39003 posts) -

Split screen used to suck because everyone had a small CRT TV, and big screen TVs were expensive as hell; despite this, it was still a lot of fun and a great waste of time :D But now you can get a huge-ass TV for cheap, so if anything I would think developers would be encouraged to bring back; I mean even if you split it four ways, each player still gets like 20+ inches of screen which is more than enough. It was still fun as hell though!

I mean one of the huge advantages to console is the whole "couch gaming" feature where you can have real life friends come over, you guys can bullshit and talk shit, and game. Doing away with that is like getting rid of a huge aspect of console gaming imo. I remember when Gear of War came out, my best friend and I got a couple cases of beer and just drank and played that game 'til we beat it. One of my favorite gaming memories. I remember playing four-player Goldeneye at my friend's house on his crappy little 27" CRT TV, the four screens were so small and the resolution was so terrible, we had to ban people from playing as Oddjob but it was still a lot of fun!

I'm not arguing against the progress of online gaming, but local multiplayer is what I would consider a core feature of console gaming. I can't imagine doing away with that, especially now that TV's are so big.

#27 Posted by xantufrog (7750 posts) -

Let's not bump ancient threads, folks. Locking