Why Total War: Three Kingdoms is worth waiting?

#1 Posted by Crazynote (29 posts) -

I barely know any information about Three Kingdoms, why it is epic?

#2 Posted by Lembu90 (576 posts) -

Don't buy at day one. It filled with bugs which is common for Total War games. Better wait for months until CA released several patches for the game.

#3 Edited by RSM-HQ (8336 posts) -

Love a good strategy game but never clicked with the likes of Total War or games similar. Too much going on and the focus on scale to me beats the purpose of strategy game mechanics. Comes across as cumbersome.

Games like Makai Senki Disgaea, Divinity: Original Sin II, and most RTS games do the whole strategy gameplay better in my opinion. Still yet to play Into the Breach though. Read it's very good.

Though I assume many people don't buy TW to enjoy strategy mechanics, they're more interested in seeing a simulation on a large scale battle. Which I suppose would be entertaining the first few times.

#4 Edited by mrbojangles25 (43955 posts) -

@crazynote: Total War is a great series based on historical (and, in two cases, fantastical) settings. It is a very well-researched game that has really in-depth strategic gameplay on a campaign map, with epic and huge real-time battles.

It is essentially two games in one; a turn-based strategy or grand strategy mode, then a real-time tactics mode when battles occur.

Looking over your kingdom in the turn-based mode and moving armies around the map and building up your domain is incredibly satisfying, then when armies do clash and you go down to tactics mode you can pretend to be a general; stack spearmen up front with archers behind, hide cavalry in the woods ready to ambush enemies. It's all very fun, deep, challenging, and great.

The Total War games have aged well, if you are leery of Three Kingdoms you can go back and play older games such as Rome 1/2, Shogun 1/2, and Empire.

@RSM-HQ said:

Love a good strategy game but never clicked with the likes of Total War or games similar. Too much going on and the focus on scale to me beats the purpose of strategy game mechanics. Comes across a cumbersome.

Games like Makai Senki Disgaea, Divinity: Original Sin II, and most RTS games do the whole strategy gameplay better in my opinion. Still yet to play Into the Breach though. Read it's very good.

Though I assume many people don't buy TW to enjoy strategy mechanics, they're more interested in seeing a simulation on a large scale battle. Which I suppose would be entertaining the first few times.

When was the last time you played a Total War game?

I only ask because, imo, the Total War games are the perfect mix of turn-based strategy and management combined with massive real-time tactics. I feel the balance is fine, and honestly you can let the battles auto-resolve if you want to just to turn-based strategy, or you can just fight real-time battles in the skirmish mode.

Games like Divinity and Into the Breach are turn-based tactics games. Not really comparable to something like Total War.

#5 Edited by Alizaa (1 posts) -

I don't know information about this game yet

#6 Edited by RSM-HQ (8336 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: As my post suggests I have not actually played a Total War, however have played a game heavily compared Real Warfare 1242; and did not find it very strategic compared to the games mentioned. If you see the reviews for the game it is compared heavily to the Total War series favourably for probably more reasons than I'm aware.

I wouldn't know when to jump into the Total War series honestly. All I know is I'm not a War Hammer fan, based upon my tabletop experience. And Real Warefare didn't exactly get me interested in more like it.

I only ask because, imo, the Total War games are the perfect mix of turn-based strategy and management combined with massive real-time tactics. I feel the balance is fine

Did I complain about those things? Not my intent. Tried to state it was a bit hectic for my liking, which blocked out the stratigic value I seek in these games. So came across as cumbersome.

However seems to be the purpose of these games, which I also factored in my post. Just because it's not my kind of gaming experience doesn't mean I couldn't see the clear target audience.

It is also worth noting that I have tried enjoying games with a lot going on at once and I just cannot. It maybe more of a personal issue than the games failings itself and I accept that. It's also why I cannot enjoy games like Gravity Daze.

Games like Divinity and Into the Breach are turn-based tactics games. Not really comparable to something like Total War.

Hmm a lot of real time strategy games still have the same core principles as turn base strategy. The argument is usually one is done for authentic reasoning and the other is to ponder/ instead if in the moment. They still have the same core gameplay, just as Battle Royale is just a big Arena Shooter with heavy RNG.

You are fine to disagree. Yet I think if they're in the same set-genre (click the 'strategy' tab in Steam, all these games show up) and are focused around similar gameplay, it's perfectly valid to compare and share experiences. Even if heavily different.

Comparisons, and debating is part of gaming discussions.