Why the Playstation Controller will always be superior.

• 58 results
TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 TiggyTog
Member since 2017 • 324 Posts

No Batteries out of the box, comes with charger > requires batteries and drains them like nobody's business.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10431 Posts

@tiggytog: you'll find many people value comfort and ease of use over how it charges

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

I don't have any issues recharging my rechargeable batteries for the xbox one controller. :P

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TiggyTog

@speedfreak48t5p: But why do that when you could play something while it's charging?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

@tiggytog: I don't mind the Dualshock 4 controller overall, best one Sony has put together. However for some of the games I play, the triggers and D-pad just ain't up to my standards. Personally for me the Switchs Pro controller that I got recently puts Dualshock 4 to shame, if anything I want to find a way to get it working on my PS4 lol.

Can't recall the 360 or X1 controller being that much better than DS4 to make a good counter argument and I've used both. Yet imagine the Elite X1 being good considering its price. Better than the Switch Pro controller? That would be a more fun comparison/ argument.

Going back to the PS4 controller. Weak battery is factual; and the rubber flickering off was a small number of launch controllers so if anyone brings that up. . Don't bother. Modern Dualshock 4 controllers haven't exactly got better batteries but seems to grant an extra hour due to the light change. And never once had the rubber issue myself even with my launch models, and would wonder if anyone here actually had that issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I like holding a flashlight while playing. Always had that dream. Plus having what is basically a wired controller in 2018 gives that extra retro touch. The triggers are not the best... but still tha best controlla eva!

Now being serious, this gen there's no bad controller but I still think the DS is slightly below the competition. I don't like the triggers and not having asymmetric sticks it's a huge fail for me.

MS should stop being cheap and start including a battery. But overall it's still the most balanced controller.

And Nintendo had a big Nintendo moment again by deciding to not have analogue triggers. Surreal. Still it feels great.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TiggyTog

The battery in Xbox One controllers aren't ideal either, 30+ hours simply isn't enough for PC gaming either, especially when I get a limited amount of money every month and on top of my rent, I can't keep spending it on batteries.

Example: I just bought a gaming mouse that has lasted over a year with ONE AA Battery.

If Xbox One controllers STOPPED using batteries completely and started using built-in rechargable batteries like the DS4, I wouldn't care, but until that happens, Xbone controllers will always be inferior, maybe not design-wise, but certain accessibility-wise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I often wonder if people that complain about the Xbox controllers using AA batteries are aware that this amazing thing called rechargeable AA batteries exist?

I prefer controllers that use AA batteries and I would be disappointed if Microsoft ever stopped using AA batteries. The great thing about the controller using AA batteries is that when the battery runs out, I already got another set of rechargeable AA batteries ready to go so I can just quickly swap them out and get right back to the game. With Playstation controllers, I have to connect the wire and play tethered to a wire if I want to continue playing which is annoying. Plus, I get far more battery life out of the rechargeable AA batteries in the Xbox controller than I do from the pathetic battery life that the PS4 controller has.

On top of that, the Xbox controller is more comfortable to hold, has better triggers, has better quality analog sticks, and has the analog sticks in a better position.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@tiggytog said:

The battery in Xbox One controllers aren't ideal either, 30+ hours simply isn't enough for PC gaming either, especially when I get a limited amount of money every month and on top of my rent, I can't keep spending it on batteries.

Example: I just bought a gaming mouse that has lasted over a year with ONE AA Battery.

If Xbox One controllers STOPPED using batteries completely and started using built-in rechargable batteries like the DS4, I wouldn't care, but until that happens, Xbone controllers will always be inferior, maybe not design-wise, but certain accessibility-wise.

Buy rechargeable batteries

Done

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I prefer not having a built in battery. I would rather switch out batteries than have to plug my controller in.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TiggyTog

@MuD3: Thats crazy, but to each their own.

I prefer having a controller in.

Anyway, I bought a steam controller and the EasySMX rip-off xbox controller, 4 rechargable amazon AA Batteries, and the charging port for said batteries.

Avatar image for anxietyconquere
anxietyconquere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 anxietyconquere
Member since 2017 • 38 Posts

Same. I love the built in batteries. Saves the hassle only need to charge it when its low.

I just don't like how they enlarged the size of the PS4 - width wise - maybe its just about getting used to it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

I prefer the feel of the Xbox One controller myself and use the play and charge pack with it and it works just fine.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@RSM-HQ: And never once had the rubber issue myself even with my launch models, and would wonder if anyone here actually had that issue.

had that issue. Wasn't a big deal. Used to just flick the rubber with my thumbs during loading screens. The real problem is the sensitivity on the triggers breaking down. I don't know why they went to triggers instead of keeping buttons. Never cared for triggers...N64, DC, Xbox controllers...just give me shoulder buttons.

Overall, the dual shock is basically the evolution of the SNES controller. Great design. I really don't find the Xbox controller that different and they have always been far more durable in my experience. If we could just get rid of all the useless shit like vibration and gyroscopes, probably could knock a few dollars off the price and improve battery life.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

joking rite?

On PS2 dualshock was the best one around.

PS3 controller just sucked with the rounded sticks and the triggers were crap too. 360 controller was the very best on that era.

PS4 controller is even worse than PS3 one. The sticks wear out in a year, the triggers are still crap, and the overall feel and quality is inferior to Xbone controller. Im PS4 fan thru and thru, but the sad fact is, the controller sucks. 'To enjoy PS4 more, you really should get one of those PS4 controllers that try to clone the design of Xbone controller.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

So a non-replaceable battery is better than an easily swappable battery pack? You're in for a rude awakening when you plug in your PS3 or PS4 in ten years for a bit of nostalgia and find out the battery is completely dead (and a fire hazard) and you can't swap it without cracking open the controller.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#18 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@tiggytog: I can play something. I have 2 sets and I can switch when one set gets low and play with second until the first charges.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@tiggytog: Agreed. I love my DS4 and I've never had issues with it's battery life. It would be a hassle if I had to buy batteries. Rechargeable or not that's ridiculous imo

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

thumbstick placement is wrong on all sony controllers, the Dualshock 3 gives me handcramps and the Dualshock while better is still uncomfortable

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Built in battery —-> inherently wrong.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

DS3 is crap, pure and simple. Good thing I replaced them with 360-style wired controllers for my PS3.

I'm sure the DS4 is better. But, I have no interest (yet) in buying a PS4.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

PlayStation has the best controller because the left stick is in the correct spot.

I always have to break my left thumb when playing on Xbox. Been a huge pet peeve of mine for years.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TiggyTog

@thehig1: Xbox design isn't bad, but most of us grew up with analog sticks next to each other instead of across. Idk, always felt weird to me, and I have big hands, yet the DS4 felt better.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thehig1

@tiggytog: I grew up with out the luxury of thumb sticks at all.

NES, SNES etc.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TiggyTog

@henrythefifth: Literally everyone would disagree with you, in fact, whereas everyone was pretty much in agreement that DS3's sucked, I've seen tons of people that put it on par with the Xbox 360/Xbone remote.

It certainly doesn't suck, it's heavier then the DS4, looks cooler, has better buttons, and triggers which are concave with immediately makes the controller better.

Sony went out of their way to rectify the PS3 Controller with the PS4 Controller being their guinea pig, and they succeeded in flying colors.

In my experience I never had trouble with the rubber ripping off at all, the controllers have been fine to me, but I can see how they'd be more prone to that due to the concave design.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

I don't have any issues recharging my rechargeable batteries for the xbox one controller. :P

I hate rechargeable batteries on controllers. My first encounter was the Wii nunchucks.

Ileanfit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ileanfit
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

Yes I agree.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@thehig1: So your hands aren't symmetrical thus symmetrical thumbsticks hurt you huh, your hands must look really weird.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thehig1

@vfighter: there in a natural position my hands fall on a 360 controller.

On dualshock they are cramped relatively close together

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

It's easily the best controller going. The shoulder buttons and just right, the sticks are correctly placed and even the motion sensors are OK. The XB controllers have always been too bulky and the switch feels cheap.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Macutchi

@vfighter said:

@thehig1: So your hands aren't symmetrical thus symmetrical thumbsticks hurt you huh, your hands must look really weird.

maybe he has giant hands. giant, delicate hands

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@soul_starter said:

It's easily the best controller going. The shoulder buttons and just right, the sticks are correctly placed and even the motion sensors are OK. The XB controllers have always been too bulky and the switch feels cheap.

Lol, no. Just no.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Sony knows how to make good products ergonomically :D Literally unbeatable!

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Imagine cell phones using AA batteries? Lol... Somehow I think Lems will still make up some excuse as to why it's better. Hopefully DS5 will get at least a 10 hr battery life though. 6 hrs isn't horrible, but definitely could be better.

As for whomever was saying once the battery is dead, so is the controller... That's not true... Just replace it or use a cord. By the time the battery goes bad, the controller will probably be worn out either way.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I recall playing the start of the level, Urban Warfare, in Uncharted 2. It was uncomfortable to make Nathan veer left (of the screen) and avoid the truck, using the left analog stick of the DS3. It took a number tries every time I played that level. With a 360-style controller, the first attempt was all that was needed.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto: lol you are bad at games

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Playstation fanboys....

like you ever gave the alternatives a chance.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#40 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

You said nothing about why the controller itself is good, which is very interesting.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TiggyTog

@euras: I actually need one on PC for games like GTA V. I tried to play it with a keyboard and mouse, and I just can't.

Although other games designed for PC like Jedi Academy work perfectly for Keyboard and Mouse.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TiggyTog

The rechargeable batteries won't last forever either, the built-in batteries will always last longer, and the difference is you don't have to get up and go get em, just plug the controller in and it's charging, you also don't need to worry about losing them.

In any case, the DS4 was an absolutely MASSIVE (and I still feel thats an understatement) improvement compared to the DS3.

I prefer the analog sticks of the DS4 being right next to each other, however I do prefer the triggers on the Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#43 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts
@MBirdy88 said:

Playstation fanboys....

like you ever gave the alternatives a chance.

What is your definition of a fanboy_

Is this a statement towards TC, or just anyone who thinks the Dualshock 4 is efficient?

At any case I'm starting to think this should be moved to System-Wars.

SpiderFanI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SpiderFanI
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

I kind of agree

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@tiggytog said:

No Batteries out of the box, comes with charger > requires batteries and drains them like nobody's business.

I think men with baby hands would find it fine. For myself (real size hands), I find my thumbs are too close when both sticks are pointed inward. It's an ok controller...don't get me wrong, but I vastly prefer the offset sticks of Xbox.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TiggyTog

@demi0227_basic: Speaking as someone with giant hands, no, even people way bigger then me have small hands in comparison.

My hands have always felt big, whether it's dialing on a phone, or otherwise, and the DS4 seems perfectly fine to me, it seems more natural, like my hands belong there, and the controller is a bit wider then the other one, couple that with the concave analog sticks, and it just seems much better in my opinion.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Macutchi

i have both consoles. switching between the two is child's play. it did take me a few days to get used to the dualshock 4 when i first got a ps4 but since then i've never looked back. it's a brilliant controller. both are. if you can't use one it says more about you than it does the hardware

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I'm playing though Persona 5 right now. I'm loving the game, but I am constantly wishing I could use my Xbox Elite or Switch Pro controllers. I keep trying to control the characters using the D-Pad, because I hate the analog stick positioning.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#49 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

So nothing to do with the actual controller... got it.

It comes down to preference. I have both consoles, but I will always prefer the Xbox controller. I like where the thumbsticks are and the controller just fits better in my hand. The whole battery thing is not an issue. I have rechargable batteries and a charging cord. The fact that that is supposed to make it better is dumb.

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TiggyTog

@Shantmaster_K: It's not dumb, it's 2018 and we shouldn't have to rely on going out to pick up batteries for a controller that already costs a ton, sure you may have to one day replace the built-in controller on the dualshock 3 or 4, but some controller's I've had since 2009 haven't had to get their batteries replaced (I got my first PS3 in 2009).

In fact I don't recall ever having to replace a battery for any Sony product unless I purposely went out of my way to bust it up in my madness.

What happens if something happens to the rechargeable batteries? What happens if you lose em? What if someone else needs em? (This is especially important if you live with family or with a few roommates).

Why go through all the trouble of doing that when I could just plug in my controller and charge it WHILE I'm playing the game? I don't need to switch them out every so often, get up and look for where you put the other batteries.

Plus, rechargeable batteries cost more then normal batteries.

Now, if you choose to put in the extra money and get a cord to connect your Xbone/Xbox 360 controller to your console, then thats all well and good, but then it's no longer cordless.

Having to use batteries in my Xbox 360 was the one thing I dreaded as a kid, having to ask a parent if they had anymore batteries and for me to tell them I needed to switch them out on my controller every few days, knowing they won't buy rechargeable batteries because they considered them way too expensive. Thats if we even had spare batteries at the time. I realize thats a personal problem, but its just one of the glaring issues kids face when they have controllers that take batteries. Adults don't really have that problem since they usually have some source on income, and while I could easily go to the store and pick up some batteries, why should I have to? Why is it that microsoft decides to make us go to the store to buy more batteries, and then you need to buy the battery charger.

On Amazon, a 4-pack of their AA Batteries is $10, thats crazy.

But oh no, add that on top of the battery charger, and altogether thats $25, just to pick up batteries that you can recharge, that you can't even charge WHILE you're playing the game, the best you can do is switch them out.