This topic is locked from further discussion.

Roweanos313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Roweanos313
Member since 2009 • 593 Posts

That people(like me) enjoy retro more than next gen, i dont know why and i'm hoping others can tell me.

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#2 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
My reasoning for the same situation is because the fact that things were more original, new, imaginative and creative back then. It seems this day and age, it's mostly all shovelware, shooters and racing games, apart from an overload of sandbox-style games. It just doesn't seem the same anymore.
Avatar image for bleedvideogames
bleedvideogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 bleedvideogames
Member since 2010 • 742 Posts

im a huge gamer and between me any my brother we just just about every system from coleco to PS3.

we play alot of atari and nintendo, when we have game nights. for me one reson i like retro gaming alot is it reminds me of my childhood, growing up playing these games and reliving adventures and memories. and alot of retro games were just pure fun, great music and most games had great stories too

ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 ImBananas
Member since 2009 • 1793 Posts

for me one reson i like retro gaming alot is it reminds me of my childhood, growing up playing these games and reliving adventures and memories. and a lot of retro games were just pure fun, great music and most games had great stories too

bleedvideogames

That's the reason for most.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

[QUOTE="bleedvideogames"]

for me one reson i like retro gaming alot is it reminds me of my childhood, growing up playing these games and reliving adventures and memories. and a lot of retro games were just pure fun, great music and most games had great stories too

ImBananas

That's the reason for most.

I agree with that too

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts
My reasoning for the same situation is because the fact that things were more original, new, imaginative and creative back then. It seems this day and age, it's mostly all shovelware, shooters and racing games, apart from an overload of sandbox-style games. It just doesn't seem the same anymore.aryoshi
overload on sandbox games? we need more. theres only 5 true dedicated sandbox games this gen. GTA4, Saints row, saints row 2 mafia 2 and godfather
thejordan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thejordan0
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I think it's just a matter of what you like, for me it's because I don't really like what's popular this gen, like first person shooters, but I'm a really big fan of turn based rpgs which where popular on the ps1 so obviously ps1 is my favorite console. Plus I just like old things, and there's definitely a primitive charm to old game graphics; playing a game that uses 2d sprites is kinda like watching a grainy black and white noir film.

Roweanos313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Roweanos313
Member since 2009 • 593 Posts

to me it feels like i'm trying to cling to m childhood b/c of all the good memories:cry:

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
Personal preference and nostalgia. I play current gen more often that past ones, but I still play old systems at least once a week.
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#10 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
[QUOTE="aryoshi"]My reasoning for the same situation is because the fact that things were more original, new, imaginative and creative back then. It seems this day and age, it's mostly all shovelware, shooters and racing games, apart from an overload of sandbox-style games. It just doesn't seem the same anymore.bigM10231
overload on sandbox games? we need more. theres only 5 true dedicated sandbox games this gen. GTA4, Saints row, saints row 2 mafia 2 and godfather

Just Cause 2, Prototype, Godfather 2, GTA Chinatown Wars, Crackdown, Crackdown 2, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Red Dead Redemption.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bigM10231
[QUOTE="bigM10231"][QUOTE="aryoshi"]My reasoning for the same situation is because the fact that things were more original, new, imaginative and creative back then. It seems this day and age, it's mostly all shovelware, shooters and racing games, apart from an overload of sandbox-style games. It just doesn't seem the same anymore.aryoshi

Just Cause 2, Prototype, Godfather 2, GTA Chinatown Wars, Crackdown, Crackdown 2, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Red Dead Redemption.

most of those arent true sandbox games
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#12 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

That people(like me) enjoy retro more than next gen, i dont know why and i'm hoping others can tell me.

Roweanos313

Not to sound like a douche but maybe you're trying to be different by liking something the majority of other people don't just so you can say look at me, I'm different.

I've played lots of games in my life and as much as I love my ColecoVision (I still have it), the PS3 is so much better.

People can enjoy the past but if you really like games, you owe it to yourself to play the current gen stuff. And for those who say the current gen stuff sucks, they're either too broke or cheap to buy a new system or they can't stand the fact that someone half their age is kicking their butt at Black Ops.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
I like old rather than new :D Then again the closest new gen is my PSP and Nintendo DS. I'm not too fond on the new gen stuff. for some odd reason too.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I'm sure Nostalgia is a pretty big influence on most people. Me, I enjoy games of all ages pretty much equally. And I am just now getting introduced to some pretty old games that I love just as much as some new ones. I never owned a PS2 or original X-Box. But I played the games on a backward compatable PS3 and X-Box 360. And I collected as many games from that gen as this gen. Maybe even more. I was also introduced to Mega Man pretty recently as well by buying the aniversery collection. Love it, even though the games are as old as the NES.

But the feeling of turning a game on that I haven't in almost 10 years is also amazing. This is perhaps one of the major reasons I still prefer the GCN slightly more then any other console, because this is the one that got me into gaming, and I collected so many gamesfor it, so many memeries to come flashing back when I turn one of them on. But many of the new games I play are really great too, and overal, I don't think it's any worse, I just like the GCNmore for nostalgia.

Silos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Silos911
Member since 2010 • 615 Posts

[QUOTE="aryoshi"][QUOTE="bigM10231"]overload on sandbox games? we need more. theres only 5 true dedicated sandbox games this gen. GTA4, Saints row, saints row 2 mafia 2 and godfatherbigM10231

How are they not sandbox?

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts

[QUOTE="bigM10231"][QUOTE="aryoshi"] Just Cause 2, Prototype, Godfather 2, GTA Chinatown Wars, Crackdown, Crackdown 2, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Red Dead Redemption.Silos911

How are they not sandbox?

I'm not following this either. I'm also going to throw in inFamous, The Sabotuer, and Mercenaries 2.
ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ImBananas
Member since 2009 • 1793 Posts

[QUOTE="Roweanos313"]

d_parker

And for those who say the current gen stuff sucks, they're either too broke or cheap to buy a new system or they can't stand the fact that someone half their age is kicking their butt at Black Ops.

Or because it does.
gmoneybball91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 gmoneybball91
Member since 2008 • 365 Posts
[QUOTE="bigM10231"][QUOTE="aryoshi"]My reasoning for the same situation is because the fact that things were more original, new, imaginative and creative back then. It seems this day and age, it's mostly all shovelware, shooters and racing games, apart from an overload of sandbox-style games. It just doesn't seem the same anymore.aryoshi

those are all great games, idk why you're complaining
fraggkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fraggkitten
Member since 2011 • 59 Posts

I suppose its the same reason why from time to time people would rathe sit in and re read a book or watch an old movie they've seen a dozen times (maybe not a black and white but lets say something from the 90's) instead of going out to see something new? Its that comfortable "rainy day" feeling of knowing the great plot points, or fantastic puzzles, or ritch characters. However I totally agree with something that was said previously about how the Legacy players owe it to themselves to try something from the current generation. Sometimes it can be a financial issue, new platform plus 60 dollar game can be harder to swallow then that awesome dusty classic on the shelf.

Avatar image for charlesdarwin55
charlesdarwin55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 charlesdarwin55
Member since 2010 • 2651 Posts

nostalgiaSecond_Rook
This. Only this. Personally I prefer current gen so much more. I can't stand the graphics & all other limitations of retro games. Look at mass effect for example it's so much in one game, combat, personlized dialouge & paths to take in the game, controlling your own ship, gorgeous enviroment, great musicetc. It feels so much more than just a game, & finally I can feel that, I never felt that with previous gens.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bigM10231
[QUOTE="aryoshi"][QUOTE="bigM10231"]overload on sandbox games? we need more. theres only 5 true dedicated sandbox games this gen. GTA4, Saints row, saints row 2 mafia 2 and godfathergmoneybball91

most of those dont let you do almost anything you want
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
[QUOTE="bigM10231"][QUOTE="gmoneybball91"][QUOTE="aryoshi"] Just Cause 2, Prototype, Godfather 2, GTA Chinatown Wars, Crackdown, Crackdown 2, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Red Dead Redemption.

most of those dont let you do almost anything you want

That's interesting because from your original post, Mafia 2 and The Godfather are FAR from being open world games like you claim they are. They're just games set in a semi-open environment. Red Dead Redemption, Prototype, and especially Just Cause 2, are open-world sandbox games so maybe your definition of what sandbox is may be a little skewed.
Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

I'd say as far as the amount of time I spend gaming, its about an equal 50/50 split between retro and current gen games.

I still spend alot of time gaming with the SNES, Saturn and Dreamcast. I've been able to find and buy a lot of games over the last few years that I've always wanted to play through when I was younger but didn't have a job or enough money to buy.

I have a few friends thats a into retro gaming like me and we often will get together for some local multiplayer or try out new retro games one of has gotten.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

I think a lot of variety has gone away. Other then RPG shooters, and a few racers, there really isn't any sort of variety. Those are the three categories you can choose from, and the vast majority of the time, that's it.

superdum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 superdum2
Member since 2009 • 1558 Posts

im big on older games because i missed some of the greatest works in my short 16 year life

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

You haven't tried enough currrent generations games then, i guess, there must be something out there for everyone in this generation so they can play exclusively, either on the Wii, PC, handhelds or HD twins.

No problem if you love playing some old games though, almost everyone does, including even a graphic whore such as myself.

[QUOTE="Second_Rook"]nostalgiacharlesdarwin55

This. Only this.

And other factors.

Don't assume that your taste in games is a very common thing. It's subjective. And there are over 6 billion different perspectives on this planet, though some will be common, some will most likely be not.

And talking about visuals, i consider GTAIV vanilla to have aged horrificaly, it looks so damn bland and unappealing(does appeal to me modded.) On the other hand, wen i look at Guilty Gear, Street Fighter 3rd Strike, Zelda OOT, their simple yet fluid animations, colourfull arts tyle appeals to me much more, and they are beautiful in my eyes.

The beauty of a arts tyle is in the eye of the beholder. A game may be ageless for one person, wile for others it may be horrificaly aged. And immersion is also subjective.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#27 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well aside from wii , theres not much fun once you beat a games single player mode and dont give me that online what ever , cause most of the time i play online the host quits or uses some kind of hack /cheat or glitch to ruin the games for me ,

games back then were more deverse