Why is it that Politians hate Video games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PEELEDbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 PEELEDbanana
Member since 2006 • 2053 Posts

"...Theater owners could still allow children between 13 and 16 years of age into R-rated films without being accompanied by an adult since the rating system is technically voluntary and does not have the force of law behind it. Attendance at films with strong enough content to merit an NC-17 rating could be restricted by law due to the possibility of being considered indecent."

Taken from a Wikipedia entry on the MPAA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPAA_film_rating_system#The_M_rating_is_replaced

So why are the Politians not going after this? I mean the Video game industry is under scrutiny, while movies get away with everything? I am really starting to think that just cause movies have been around longer. What do u guys think?

Avatar image for Darth_Revan_666
Darth_Revan_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Darth_Revan_666
Member since 2005 • 2801 Posts
Because most people don't know much about videogames and the politicians likes to look good. Videogames is just another way the politicians found to attract public sympathy, that way they gain votes. To sums it up, politics is a business
Eldramesha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Eldramesha
Member since 2003 • 341 Posts

I think it is that movies have been around longer and are generally more passive in terms of content. Also politicians like to have photo ops and take tough stances on things that seem to be morally upstanding.

Here's another way to look at it. The majority of Americans (and in general people around the world) watch movies, either in theaters or at home. Only a small minority of people in the world (and a somewhat larger percentage in industrialized nations) play digital games, in some places lots of people play games and so those games are accepted more than other places. I don't see manhunt 2 being banned in Japan for instance. (Though I could be wrong). The majority of Americans do not play games and thus do not understand the appeal of games in general.

However, a good many gamers (myself included) don't like games like Manhunt, we are either sickened by it or in my case, just consider it tacky. Since the majority are either not familiar or dislike these games, the politicians see an opportunity to distract people from real issues. It's a sideshow, P.T. Barnum style. For the record, I think Manhunt 2 should get published and sold, despite my dislike of it. Free speech is more important than my personal preferences for gaming.

PEELEDbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PEELEDbanana
Member since 2006 • 2053 Posts

Well, just look at the government trying to say that u cant sell M rated video games to minors? This is kinda sounding very familiar.... oh yeah! It sounds like something from a Alcohol poster. And when i say Government, i mean the US government (like u couldn't tell). What i am finding is that ppl think that all M rated games r bad. Fable doesnt equal Gears of War, not by a long-shot.Fable was so tame it wasn't even funny. It felt as if it was already a teen game and someone said, "Hey, this game should be rated M." So they stuck in a little language(nothing Tony Hawk games havnt said) and a bitof bloodin. Call of Duty 2 and 3 were much worse than Fable. Now Gears diddeserve its M rating. I mean there r freaking chainsaws and ppl explode. That is M rated to me.

I think M rated games should be 15+, not 17+. I dont think2 years will do anything for u, so whydo u have to wait? Also, i mean go to school. There r so many things that u learn there that u cant even say in a video game, or it is an instant M. That is just wrong. I think it really should all be up to the parent. Drop this whole rating system and just say, "Contains Violence and Language." No need for a committee, just have the Publisher put it on the box. Easy peasy.

Edit: Srry for the wall of text

shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 shufu7-11
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts
Because most people don't know much about videogames and the politicians likes to look good. Videogames is just another way the politicians found to attract public sympathy, that way they gain votes. To sums it up, politics is a businessDarth_Revan_666
I couldn't agree more.