Why is Halo 2's campaign inferior compared to CE?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Lucianu (10283 posts) -

Nostalgic feelings aside, i just don't get it.

Now that i've finished both to refresh my memory (i finished CE to have a solid opinion on the game, and because i am a fan of the lore) i just cannot understand why people love CE's campaign, and think Halo 2's campaign is inferior, or downright sucks. 

CE is crippled with an unfathomable amount of painfully repetitive level design and an insane amount of repetitiveness with the enemies. There is absolutely no excuse here, and i'm not just talking about the Library. It got so ridiculous at one point, that i was moving foward through the same corridor and the same room design for at least an hour, fighting the same, exact enemies. Over and over. 

Halo 2 completely fixed that, offering so much more variety with its interesting, vibrant level design. 

CE's vehicle controls were, to put it bluntly, horrible. Halo 2's vehicles control far more better, it was a very welcome improvement.

Now the gun in CE is, hands down, better than the gun in 2, but everything els is great, there's a decent adition of more weapons around this time, and they all feel solid, love the gunplay. Playing as the Arbitrer was awesome, personally. That blade was excellent wen dealing with the Flood, and stealthing my way wile dominating the enemies was entertaining as hell. And i loved the fact that i got to learn more about the lore, the universe and about the Covenant. 

What, is it the cliffhanger ending? That thing is completely irrelevant now, thanks to all the sequels & the comic book. 

Halo 2 remains my favorite campaign in the entire series. And, to me, it just crushes CE's campaign, tenfold, in every conceivable way.

#2 Posted by ImJESUS-PROam (360 posts) -

Now that i've finished both to refresh my memory (i finished CE to have a solid opinion on the game, and because i am a fan of the lore) i just cannot understand why people love CE's campaign, and think Halo 2's campaign is inferior, or downright sucks. 

CE is crippled with an unfathomable amount of painfully repetitive level design and an insane amount of repetitiveness with the enemies. There is absolutely no excuse here, and i'm not just talking about the Library. It got so ridiculous at one point, that i was moving foward through the same corridor and the same room design for at least an hour, fighting the same, exact enemies. Over and over. 

Halo 2 completely fixed that, offering so much more variety with its interesting, vibrant level design. 

CE's vehicle controls were, to put it bluntly, horrible. Halo 2's vehicles control far more better, it was a very welcome improvement.

Now the gun in CE is, hands down, better than the gun in 2, but everything els is great, there's a decent adition of more weapons around this time, and they all feel solid, love the gunplay. Playing as the Arbitrer was awesome, personally. That blade was excellent wen dealing with the Flood, and stealthing my way wile dominating the enemies was entertaining as hell. And i loved the fact that i got to learn more about the lore, the universe and about the Covenant. 

What, is it the cliffhanger ending? That thing is completely irrelevant now, thanks to all the sequels & the comic book. 

Halo 2 remains my favorite campaign in the entire series. And, to me, it just crushes CE's campaign, tenfold, in every conceivable way.

Lucianu
Because it's a Mulit-player focused game? Rememeber? Was the revolution of XBL and such? And also the shortest campaing if I recall?
#3 Posted by Renegade_Fury (19817 posts) -

The Arbiter and all his levels suck for one. They're all claustrophobic, and I couldn't care less about the Covenant's background. The only levels I can recall really liking in the whole game were Delta Halo and Regret, whereas I love all the levels in Halo CE. Repetition doesn't bother me if I'm having fun, which is why I love Assault on the Control Room, The Library, and Two Betrayals the most. One thing I kind of did like in Halo 2 though, is that it forces more cooperation on legendary since if your partner dies you both have to go back to the checkpoint. Still, overall, Halo CE kicks every other Halo's ass. It just has the best levels, music, atmosphere, story, and mp.

#4 Posted by tab134 (346 posts) -
halo 2's campaign is short and forgettable. like others have stated, compared to the multiplayer in that game, the campaign is obviously rushed. anyways what i don't particularly like about it is its feels a bit closed in. you walk forward and shoot the time scripted enemies, and thats honestly all i can remember. it seemed like a step back instead of an improvement. CE's campaign is very overrated, but at the time it felt fresh and unique. halo 2's is just another paint-by-numbers fps campaign.
#5 Posted by jg4xchamp (61470 posts) -

Bungie rush job

#6 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -
It's like they took their main design artist and locked him a closet. The game was more suffocating in how gray it was at times. I'll give you credit though, you really have good points with CE's campaign in today's day and age.
#7 Posted by Blueresident87 (5684 posts) -

Because Halo 2's campaign was nothing more than a supplement to the ridiculously good multiplayer that game brought about. The plot is murky and isn't developed well, and the whole thing feels unfinished in a lot of ways.

It's the only Halo campaign I never played through twice and I can't even remember exactly what happens, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. Compared to the other campaigns in the series, most of which are top-notch, it just isn't very strong.

#8 Posted by LordBrew (269 posts) -
All I can remember of the campaign in Halo 2 is a city level, some sniping, and playing as the Arbiter for awhile. Otherwise nothing really stands out, whereas I remember more of the campaign from CE. I've been meaning to go through the campaign to Halo 2 again, maybe I'll get round to it soon.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
#9 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

I don't think it is inferior at all, it's superior. I think it's best entry in the entire Halo franchise, so far.

The story is a beatifully woven tale of science fiction, religious conspiracy, and betrayal that a lot shooters can't come close too. It's genius to tell the story through the eyes of both Master Chief and The Arbitur, too, as you get both sides of the story. And all the story threads and characters come together to culminate in one helluva climactic ending.

The charactes are much more fleshed out. In the original they were just cut-out cliches of characters; gung-ho marines. But in Halo 2 characters like Sgt. Johnson, The Arbitur, and Cortana are much more in-depth and come off as actual living, breathing people; and that definetly ads to the story and the impact all these events are having. The action complements that story beautifully, as the levels are fun, full of non-stop action, and keep the narrative flowing perfectly.

The music is without a shadow of a doubt better, and good presentation always makes a story stand out more. Between the full-orchestral tracks, and the rocking tracks from Breaking Benjamin, Halo 2 is one of the best game soundtracks...ever.

The graphics are also a step up from Halo 1, but then that is to be expected with a game completed a couple years down the road with an even bigger budget.

Plus all the other little extra goodies like more weapons, more vehicles, and customizable "Master Chief" and "Arbitur" options.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
#10 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (9100 posts) -
I might feel different if I played the campaigns again now as it has been over eight years but I didn't like playing as the Arbiter near as much as Master Chief.
#11 Posted by Lucianu (10283 posts) -

Damn, i actually liked the Arbitrer quite a lot more than playing as Chief. Jumping around killing stuff with my sword, going in stealth mode from time to time, etc. I was much more interested in this plot line aswell.

Hell, everything was just so much more fun than ... the endless marching through those painfully boring environments in CE that kept on repeating over and over again. I guess it depends if you can stomach repetitive level design. I don't know. I mean, the gunplay is awesome, and the atmosphere which is enhanced by the rightly constructed sound track is really great.. To bad.

I don't think it is inferior at all, it's superior. I think it's best entry in the entire Halo franchise, so far.

The story is a beatifully woven tale of science fiction, religious conspiracy, and betrayal that a lot shooters can't come close too. It's genius to tell the story through the eyes of both Master Chief and The Arbitur, too, as you get both sides of the story. And all the story threads and characters come together to culminate in one helluva climactic ending.

The charactes are much more fleshed out. In the original they were just cut-out cliches of characters; gung-ho marines. But in Halo 2 characters like Sgt. Johnson, The Arbitur, and Cortana are much more in-depth and come off as actual living, breathing people; and that definetly ads to the story and the impact all these events are having. The action complements that story beautifully, as the levels are fun, full of non-stop action, and keep the narrative flowing perfectly.

The music is without a shadow of a doubt better, and good presentation always makes a story stand out more. Between the full-orchestral tracks, and the rocking tracks from Breaking Benjamin, Halo 2 is one of the best game soundtracks...ever.

The graphics are also a step up from Halo 1, but then that is to be expected with a game completed a couple years down the road with an even bigger budget.

Plus all the other little extra goodies like more weapons, more vehicles, and customizable "Master Chief" and "Arbitur" options.

Emerald_Warrior

Yeah, i agree with everything here.

#12 Posted by silent_bomber (767 posts) -

CE is crippled with an unfathomable amount of painfully repetitive level design and an insane amount of repetitiveness with the enemies. There is absolutely no excuse here, and i'm not just talking about the Library. It got so ridiculous at one point, that i was moving foward through the same corridor and the same room design for at least an hour, fighting the same, exact enemies. Over and over. Lucianu

Agree with everything said here

Halo 2 completely fixed that, offering so much more variety with its interesting, vibrant level design.Lucianu

Kind of agree, though I wouldn't go that far, Halo 2s campaign to me is good, but not amazing, Halo 1s campaign is just dire.

The plot in Halo 1 is also awful, and very barebones, it essentially comes down to -

Cast List

• Generic soldier character
  • Generic general character
  • Generic female navigator character.

Plot

Generic soldier crashes on a planet and has to shoot groups of miniature Jar Jar Bink's until he finds out he has to destroy a dangerous weapon, along the way a bunch of evil mushrooms turn up as a plot twist.

Halo 2 on the other hand attempted to have a plot with actual characters who did stuff.

Halo 1s true strengths at time of release IMO were -

• The controls
  • The physics
  • The multiplayer
  • The graphics
#13 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (2365 posts) -
I loved the level design of the halo 2 campaign and enjoyed it way more than halo ce
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#14 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

Lucianu
The original is vast, more mysterious--halo 2 takes place on earth, no?. I think both are great. Halo 2 is arguably better in coop, but I think ce is perhaps the better solo experience.
#15 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4735 posts) -

Personally, even though I know a lot of hatred exists for Halo 2 here, I believe CE's storyline was jsut downright boring, while Halo 2's had you fighting on both sides of conflict. You had Chief and his normal "save Earth for the sake of humanity" storyline, but then you also had the Arbiter and his storyline of slowly coming to terms that what he had been fighting for his entire life and everything he had ever believed was the result of a colossal misunderstanding and he was only furthering the destruction of intelligent life in the galaxy, so he had to turn against everything he had ever known to correct that mistake.

Halo 2 had a better story, better designed levels, more weapons (always important in an FPS, I don't care how you feel about the genre as a whole), and more developed characters. The Covenenant in the first game was just a bunch of faceless aliens that wanted to destroy humanity for reasons that were never really all that clear other than "religion". Halo 2 personified the separate races of the Covenant, allowed you to see their side of the conflict, and realize they weren't just some mindless alien overlords bent on wiping out humanity, but that they considered humans to be another trial on their mission to activate the rings (aside from the Prophets, but you don't learn why until Wars).

#16 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4735 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Heirren

The original is vast, more mysterious--halo 2 takes place on earth, no?. I think both are great. Halo 2 is arguably better in coop, but I think ce is perhaps the better solo experience.

1 level took place on Earth.

#17 Posted by Seabas989 (13205 posts) -

Halo 2's campaign was forgettable with a terrible cliffhanger and a covenant backstory that I didn't care for.

I hate some of the later levels of Halo CE such as the library but I got a better impression from the entire game then from Halo 2.

#18 Posted by Megavideogamer (6367 posts) -

You have to play as the Aribiter sometimes.

#19 Posted by thedork_knight (1743 posts) -
i prefered it to CE in every aspect. completed that game on legendary so many times