Why is Castlevania, one of Konami's biggest franchises, always on handhelds?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Seriously.

It'd be like Nintendo putting Mario exclusively on the DS. Considering what could be done with the power of today's consoles, it seems a shame to see it only appear on handhelds. What's the deal? Is it because of the sub-par 3D attempts on the PS2 (Lament of Innocence) and N64? Would a 2D version not sell as well on consoles as they would on the handhelds? The DS games are obviously selling great because they still continue to make them. Is the demographic between platforms so different that even the widespread appeal of Castlevania is lessened to such an extent that development on a console is not warranted? I find that hard to believe.

Most who love Castlevania grew up with it from its inception and all now play consoles, however it's now exclusively released only for a platform that is predominantly targeted towards the younger crowd who didn't grow up with it. I know it costs less to develop for a handheld, but I'd think a console version would bring in enough cash to sustain it. It's such a great series, and it's a shame it's being relegated to the bottom shelf in terms of potential due to hardware limitations. I'm coming to the point where I'm afraid Symphony of the Night will be the last great console Castlevania we'll ever see.

Thoughts?

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Did you check any news at this past E3?
S3XYT1M3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 S3XYT1M3
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

because its way better in 2d sidescroller form

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Because Konami realizes that they haven't had the most success with their 3D Castlevania's, so they support the handhelds as Nintendo/Sony are a little more lenient about putting 2D titles on those systems.

I think Konami announced a new Castlevania for consoles though didn't they?

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#5 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

I see this question all the time, and the answer is pretty much the same: because 2D thrives moreon handhelds. How often do you see a 2D game on consoles? I'm not Konami, but I'm pretty sure it was purely a business decision to put the games on the DS, where they would make the most money.

However, I think a 2D Castlevania would be perfect on PSN/XBL/WiiWare.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Because there have been several console versions... Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES) Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES) Castlevania Dracula X (SNES) Super Castlevania IV (SNES) Castlevania Chronicles (Ps) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS) Castlevania 64 (N64) Legacy of Darkness (N64) Curse of Darkness (PS2, Xbox) Lament of Innocence (PS2) Lords of Shadow (PS3, 360)
k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 k_smoove
Member since 2006 • 11954 Posts

In this generation, there seems to be less of a market for 2d platformers as retail console games. The Wii has a few, but I can't think of any retail PS3/360 platformers. There's definitely a market for them on the downloadable side.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Well, there is going to be a new Castlevania game for the PS3/360. But to why Castlevania is mostly made on handhelds now, the 2D Castlevanias are the more popular games, and 2D games typically do better on a handheld device, so therefore Konami decides to put their castlevania games on handhelds.

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
Symphony WILL be the last great 2D castle on consoles. Handhelds are cheaper to produce for and no dev is going to make a 2.5D console game knowing that the cost is 1000% more. I think given Castle's Super NES versions they tried branching out to 3D and failed, therefor SotN succeeded and from there on out, 2D seemed to be the winning formula; however, Konami is not going to stop trying to make a good 3D game, but handheld users total in the - exagerated - 100milion? Big potential market there.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Did you check any news at this past E3?MAILER_DAEMON

Lords of shadow looks very sick, but come on the last console Castlevania was in 2005.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]Did you check any news at this past E3?Ballroompirate

Lords of shadow looks very sick, but come on the last console Castlevania was in 2005.

And since then they've kept it on handhelds because those games were doing better and, well, worked. In 2D, CV games are unique, but on consoles, they played like any other action game and came across as a Devil May Cry-type clone.
IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 IpodHero176
Member since 2006 • 16952 Posts

Because they sell more on handhelds than on consoles?:|

flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts

I see this question all the time, and the answer is pretty much the same: because 2D thrives moreon handhelds. How often do you see a 2D game on consoles? I'm not Konami, but I'm pretty sure it was purely a business decision to put the games on the DS, where they would make the most money.

However, I think a 2D Castlevania would be perfect on PSN/XBL/WiiWare.

King9999
That is true, I completely agree.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#14 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I dont know, Ive loved the Castlevania's Ive played through on handhelds (Circle, Harmony, Aria, Dawn, Ecclesia). Compared to Lament on PS2, I think the handhelds are a lot more fun, plus the fact that they;re portable. If I was Konami, I wouldnt mess with a proven formula either.
Spirit_of_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Spirit_of_87
Member since 2003 • 2423 Posts

How to get a new Castlevania game on home counsels in three easy steps:

Step 1: Buy Gradius ReBirth on WiiWare

Step 2: Buy Contra ReBirth when it hits WiiWare on August in the U.S. and Europe

Step 3: Wait for the eventual release of Castlevania ReBirth on WiiWare :wink:

And there you have it. Wash, rinse, and repeat if you want Sunset Riders ReBirth, Stinger ReBirth, Salamander ReBirth, Parodius ReBirth etc...

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rekunta

Did you check any news at this past E3?MAILER_DAEMON

Well that pretty much negates my entire post. Guess I should do some research beforehand. Still, why can't they do another 2D?

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

Because that is where 2D platformers sell.

At the opposite end of that spectrum, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, which has both a huge name behind it and was generally critically acclaimed as one of the best DS games to date, has not sold well at all for a big name DS game. (I have a DS and I don't have it myself. :P )

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Well, from what I know it's a lot of reasons. First is, Castlevania doesn't see too well in Japan but does well in the west. Secondly, they never had success with a 3D Castlevania especially with games like God of War and Devil May Cry as its competition. And thirdly, Iga, the guy behind the Castlevania series, is really good with making 2D games but hasn't proved himself with 3D. So I think that's why Kojima and another development team came on board and took over the 3D Castlevania game. Last time I heard, Iga was hard at work developing a 3D Castlevania for consoles but I guess Konami didn't like how it was turning out. I always theorized that Castlevania can be great as a God of War game. The whip can basically act like Krato's Chaos Blades, etc. I guess I was sort of right on this. Looks like Kojima saw the potential in Castlevania being like a God of War or even Dante's Inferno type of action/adventure game. I trust Kojima's expertise but the guys behind Clive Barker's Jericho is making it. Let's hope it turns out well.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rekunta

Well, from what I know it's a lot of reasons. First is, Castlevania doesn't see too well in Japan but does well in the west. Secondly, they never had success with a 3D Castlevania especially with games like God of War and Devil May Cry as its competition. And thirdly, Iga, the guy behind the Castlevania series, is really good with making 2D games but hasn't proved himself with 3D. So I think that's why Kojima and another development team came on board and took over the 3D Castlevania game. Last time I heard, Iga was hard at work developing a 3D Castlevania for consoles but I guess Konami didn't like how it was turning out. I always theorized that Castlevania can be great as a God of War game. The whip can basically act like Krato's Chaos Blades, etc. I guess I was sort of right on this. Looks like Kojima saw the potential in Castlevania being like a God of War or even Dante's Inferno type of action/adventure game. I trust Kojima's expertise but the guys behind Clive Barker's Jericho is making it. Let's hope it turns out well.ASK_Story
Kojima? As in MGS Kojima? I didn't know he was affiliated with the Castlevania series in any way.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

maybe because the Castlevanias that are 3D have never really outshined any of the 2D versions.

Unlike Metroid, Mario, Zelda, etc.

but i wouldn't say the 3d ones are bad, coz i haven't played them and my friends love em

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ASK_Story

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]Well, from what I know it's a lot of reasons. First is, Castlevania doesn't see too well in Japan but does well in the west. Secondly, they never had success with a 3D Castlevania especially with games like God of War and Devil May Cry as its competition. And thirdly, Iga, the guy behind the Castlevania series, is really good with making 2D games but hasn't proved himself with 3D. So I think that's why Kojima and another development team came on board and took over the 3D Castlevania game. Last time I heard, Iga was hard at work developing a 3D Castlevania for consoles but I guess Konami didn't like how it was turning out. I always theorized that Castlevania can be great as a God of War game. The whip can basically act like Krato's Chaos Blades, etc. I guess I was sort of right on this. Looks like Kojima saw the potential in Castlevania being like a God of War or even Dante's Inferno type of action/adventure game. I trust Kojima's expertise but the guys behind Clive Barker's Jericho is making it. Let's hope it turns out well.Rekunta

Kojima? As in MGS Kojima? I didn't know he was affiliated with the Castlevania series in any way.

Yes, MGS Kojima. And no, he was never associated with Castlevania in the past, until this new one he's working on.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]Well, from what I know it's a lot of reasons. First is, Castlevania doesn't see too well in Japan but does well in the west. Secondly, they never had success with a 3D Castlevania especially with games like God of War and Devil May Cry as its competition. And thirdly, Iga, the guy behind the Castlevania series, is really good with making 2D games but hasn't proved himself with 3D. So I think that's why Kojima and another development team came on board and took over the 3D Castlevania game. Last time I heard, Iga was hard at work developing a 3D Castlevania for consoles but I guess Konami didn't like how it was turning out. I always theorized that Castlevania can be great as a God of War game. The whip can basically act like Krato's Chaos Blades, etc. I guess I was sort of right on this. Looks like Kojima saw the potential in Castlevania being like a God of War or even Dante's Inferno type of action/adventure game. I trust Kojima's expertise but the guys behind Clive Barker's Jericho is making it. Let's hope it turns out well.ASK_Story

Yes, MGS Kojima. And no, he was never associated with Castlevania in the past, until this new one he's working on.

I still don't think he's associated with Castlevania :P. Kojima(and Miyamoto) nominally supervised Twin Snakes, but TS wounded up sucking as bad from a game design perspective as Dennis Dyack's games usually do, despite the nominalinvolvement of two game design legends (both of who had projects on their plates which were consuming most of their attention).

That being said, despite the track record of Mercury Steam, I don't think Castlevania is doomed to mediocrity since some teams get better as time goes on (I love Uncharted, but the first Naughty Dog game I played was Way of the Warrior, which was a 4th rate MK clone).

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#23 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts
[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]Did you check any news at this past E3?MAILER_DAEMON

And since then they've kept it on handhelds because those games were doing better and, well, worked. In 2D, CV games are unique, but on consoles, they played like any other action game and came across as a Devil May Cry-type clone.

With whips! I loved Lament of Innocence, can't wait for Lords of Shadow, actually i think it was the game i want most that was announced at E3. The voice actors help there. The reason though i guess is that handhelds are low risk, cheap to develop for but still satisfy the main fan base for the series. Developing for the PS3 / 360 isn't cheap, to be honest Lords of Shadow is a surprise to me they would try it...
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

In this generation, there seems to be less of a market for 2d platformers as retail console games. The Wii has a few, but I can't think of any retail PS3/360 platformers. There's definitely a market for them on the downloadable side.

k_smoove
i dont think its that the market isnt there. its because the developers arent making them on consoles. everyone has this notion that a 2.5d game wouldnt sell on a console, and i dont get it. honestly, if the next SotN came out on 360/ps3, does anyone think it really wouldnt sell?
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="k_smoove"]

OneWingedAngeI
i dont think its that the market isnt there. its because the developers arent making them on consoles. everyone has this notion that a 2.5d game wouldnt sell on a console, and i dont get it. honestly, if the next SotN came out on 360/ps3, does anyone think it really wouldnt sell?

Thank goodness for XBOX Live Arcade and PSN. Shadow Complex, Trine, TMNT Reshelled...if these do well hope we'll see more. Shadow Complex is one of my most anticipated games this year, even more than any console or handheld game! This makes me salivate for another 2D Metroid. Make it a 2.5D Metroid if all I care, just put Samus in another sidescrolling game again!!!
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ASK_Story

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="Rekunta"]Kojima? As in MGS Kojima? I didn't know he was affiliated with the Castlevania series in any way.

CarnageHeart

I still don't think he's associated with Castlevania :P. Kojima(and Miyamoto) nominally supervised Twin Snakes, but TS wounded up sucking as bad from a game design perspective as Dennis Dyack's games usually do, despite the nominalinvolvement of two game design legends (both of who had projects on their plates which were consuming most of their attention).

That being said, despite the track record of Mercury Steam, I don't think Castlevania is doomed to mediocrity since some teams get better as time goes on (I love Uncharted, but the first Naughty Dog game I played was Way of the Warrior, which was a 4th rate MK clone).

Man, that sounds discouraging. I hope Kojima is at least more involved this time. We don't want a Clive Barker's Castlevania, if you know what I mean! Although you may be right. Kojima has MGS Rising and the new PSP game he's directing himself. Does he have too much on his plate already to supervise Castlevania?

But it makes me wonder what happened with Iga. There's some news lately that he's still with Konami and working on a project, but obviously not with this Castlevania. I wonder what happened there?

Tht1Guy7780

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Tht1Guy7780
Member since 2009 • 1277 Posts

Because, like Metroid, its at its best as a 2d sidescroller.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#28 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Because they can get away with making 2d handheld games. Every one knows the Castlevania is at its best and most popular as a 2d game, and for some reason, people would tend to stay away from 2d console games.

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

We don't want a Clive Barker's Castlevania, if you know what I mean!

ASK_Story
Lol people think his games are bad, but wait until they see one of his movies! Goodness gracious..
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#30 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

There is a PS3/360 Castlevania onthe way. I don't see, however, how the 2D Castlevania will benefit much from going to consoles. I like the series as it is. I also prefer platformers on handhelds, tbh. I also think the DS is dominating this generation in terms of games I simply enjoy playing, even though the consoles are more powerful on a technical standpoint. Stronger technology does not equal better games.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rekunta

There is a PS3/360 Castlevania onthe way. I don't see, however, how the 2D Castlevania will benefit much from going to consoles. I like the series as it is. I also prefer platformers on handhelds, tbh. I also think the DS is dominating this generation in terms of games I simply enjoy playing, even though the consoles are more powerful on a technical standpoint. Stronger technology does not equal better games.

calvinsora

Not always, true, but then again they're not limited by inferior technology either and the potential for better games is there. If you don't see how 2D Castlevania benefits from consoles, go play SotN, which came out 12 years ago. Most still regard it as the best Castlevania ever made, if not Dracula X. Another 2D version on today's consoles would be simply amazing. From a gamer's standpoint, it makes no sense to limit such a series to only one platform, and a HANDHELD at that. Business wise....hey, what can I say? Better safe than sorry, right? Konami wants to play it safe with a successful formula, fine.....but it will come at the cost of letting their best franchise stagnate. There's no reward without risk.

I'm very happy they have faith enough to develop LoS and are taking a chance (although I'd still prefer a 2D game), and sincerely hope it does well, as it will send Konami a message that we want this series to expand beyond the DS, 3D or not. It's Castlevania, and I'm a bit surprised people defend it being solely on the DS for all these years.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="jjtiebuckle"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

We don't want a Clive Barker's Castlevania, if you know what I mean!

Lol people think his games are bad, but wait until they see one of his movies! Goodness gracious..

Undying was supposed to be really good: creepy and atmospheric. I've heard that some people really liked Jericho as well.
Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

TC a new gamer? Most of the Castlevania games have been released on consoles then on handhelds. And I mean no offense by my first comment, just asking that in case you truly are a new gamer, I like having new gamers sit on my knee so I can tell them about the glory days :D:D

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rekunta

TC a new gamer? Most of the Castlevania games have been released on consoles then on handhelds. And I mean no offense by my first comment, just asking that in case you truly are a new gamer, I like having new gamers sit on my knee so I can tell them about the glory days :D:D

Sacif

No, I have been gaming since '82. I know many have been on consoles, I'm talking more recently.

Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

[QUOTE="Sacif"]

Rekunta

No, I have been gaming since '82. I know many have been on consoles, I'm talking more recently.

Well even so the number that have been brought to consoles compared to the number on handhelds is still very much lop-sided to that of consoles, since many of the titles are re-released on handhelds.

fiscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fiscope
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts

The very nature of Metroid-vania games like the recent castlevanias make them perfect for portable gaming. Who wants to sit in their living room and use a giant HD TV to play a 2D sidescrollin castlevania?

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

The very nature of Metroid-vania games like the recent castlevanias make them perfect for portable gaming. Who wants to sit in their living room and use a giant HD TV to play a 2D sidescrollin castlevania?

fiscope

Why not? Castle Crashers is a 2D sidescroller much like Castlevania and that's featured on both PSN and XBLA.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

as lot of other people has said, it lends itself really well to that kind of platform, quick fixes, it is simplistic, easy to play for 15-20 mins at a time, and it is a really great game ^^

The new one for home consoles are gonna be interresting, that series is kinda cursed in that aspect :s

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

It would be cool to see a 2D castlevania on consoles, but if it doesn't happen, oh well. All of the GBA and DS castlevanias were fun and enjoyable, and as long as a game is fun and enjoyable, I don't care which platform it was released on.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#40 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

[QUOTE="calvinsora"]

Rekunta

Not always, true, but then again they're not limited by inferior technology either and the potential for better games is there. If you don't see how 2D Castlevania benefits from consoles, go play SotN, which came out 12 years ago. Most still regard it as the best Castlevania ever made, if not Dracula X. Another 2D version on today's consoles would be simply amazing. From a gamer's standpoint, it makes no sense to limit such a series to only one platform, and a HANDHELD at that. Business wise....hey, what can I say? Better safe than sorry, right? Konami wants to play it safe with a successful formula, fine.....but it will come at the cost of letting their best franchise stagnate. There's no reward without risk.

I'm very happy they have faith enough to develop LoS and are taking a chance (although I'd still prefer a 2D game), and sincerely hope it does well, as it will send Konami a message that we want this series to expand beyond the DS, 3D or not. It's Castlevania, and I'm a bit surprised people defend it being solely on the DS for all these years.

I have played SotN, and it really is a good game. However, AoS remains my favorite Castlevania game. Anyway, I still don't see what would significantly change having the 2D Castlevania come to consoles. It sure would be great to give it a go (and not as a downloadable game), but having it on handhelds has its advantages. Sure, it isn't as powerful as consoles, but instead, you can play games on the go, not to mention being able to use the dual screens efficiently.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Rekunta

fiscope

Are you kidding? I'd kill to be able to play Castlevania (especially a 2D one) on my HD-TV with an awesome sound system. How can you appreciate the amazing animation and music on a handheld with a tiny screen and garbage speakers as much as you'd be able to on HD with a sweet audio setup? Do you think the music and graphics ofSotN would be nearly as good on the DS as it is on the PSX? I really can't see how you find playing this series on a handheld preferabale to playing it on a console. I would MUCH rather be sitting onmy couch relaxing, not having my hands cramped up and my eyes straining to see straight playing the DS all the time.

ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ViewtifulScott
Member since 2005 • 878 Posts

They'd be a great fit for the digital download services like XBL. They could start by taking something like Aria of Sorrow or Circle of the Moon and work in some voice acting and spruce up the graphics. (heck even Super 4 or Rondo) They also have a great original Metroidvania game they could make, as they still have yet to cover the events of the battle of 1999 in a game. It's only referenced in Aria. Hopefully they're planning something to help promote Lords of Shadow next year.

dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts

The handheld games don't sell enough copies to justify the risk of releasing a much more expensive version on consoles. I think they really only keep making them because of the critical acclaim and the developers' passion for making them. I doubt that they bring in much cash.