Why Final Fantasy VI is the best game in the Final Fantasy series.... (spoilers)

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for sonicthemegaman
sonicthemegaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#51 sonicthemegaman
Member since 2008 • 3783 Posts
FF 10-2 was the best.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#52 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Role playing.... Hmm.... It depends what you mean by roleplaying i suppose. I mean even alot of the core of those had alternatives that included pre determined paths..... To me choices usually have a negative impact on immersion.

_Tobli_

So running a linear FF game that is a cookie-cutter every time you "start new game" = immersion? I think not.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#53 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

[QUOTE="calvinsora"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] The reason why VII is hammered and rightfully so, is because it is overhyped and it is not as good as people say it is. There is actually things VII does right....art style is pretty good (not my favorite as VIII, X, XII, and especially IX's are better). The corporate and environmental themes are good. The things that VII fails at is its story and characters, except for some (Tifa for example). The only real moment was Aeris's death...if it wasn't for that moment, the game would not be the same. But it isn't the only FF game to kill playable characters....II, IV, V, VI all did as well. The difference was that Aeris's death was cinematic. The story is great from the beginning until you get out of Midgar.....it just falls apart after that. Way too many metaphysical and spiritual concepts.....unlike the more humanistic VI. The later games also have this problem as well.......VIII, IX, X, and Xii's story are pretty much messes, but are saved by its characters. Sadly, VII's character cast is lackluster. Tifa is great as a best friend role and Aeris was good as a romantic interest. Cid's dreams were also convincing and Red XIII was unique. But the other cast members are not as good. Cloud is not a very good protagonist....he isn't bad.....but other FF leads are better...Cecil, Terra, Celes, Squall, Zidane, Yuna, to name a few. He just doesn't carry the game well. Barrett is also terrible, a great idea of a character, poor execution. Sephiroth is the most overrated villain ever. His motives are strange and not very believable, he lacks the threat of say Kefka or Kuja. I just find that the qualities to make Sephiroth more likeable are unconvincing. Is VII a bad game? Absolutely not, it had some greatness to it that does deserve to be praised. Is it the best game ever? NO.....Is it the best Final Fantasy ever? Nope

VII has to be compared to because of its commercial popularity, but it doesn't make it the best critically. And there are many many VII fanboys....much more than VI. Hell, there are too many X fanboys and I can hammer that game as well...maybe not as hard as VII.

A notice in my original post I don't bash VII really except for calling it overrated once, I make the case why VI is the best.......

texasgoldrush

If someone enjoys FFVII more than the other FF's, then that is fact for them. You can't say a game is overrated if a person's opinion of a game is truly what they think of it. If someone says it is their favorite game, then it is. Simple as that. You can't say that the game is overrated simply because you don't like it as muchas the other FF's. For instance, I really like FFX's story, and even more FFXII's story. It's well-constructed and political, but the point is, that it is my opinion. In the same way, FFX is my favorite, FFVII is my cousin's favourite and FFVI is your favourite. Bashing other games by saying their are inferior in your opinion is exactly the same thingother "fanboys" do. Also, even though I don't prefer FFVII much, Sephiroth is my favorite villain of all time. By saying Sephiroth is overrated, are you saying I'm wrong in my opinion? It just doesn't work that way. Sorry if I'm coming off rude, I don't mean it that way. Just stating my opinions.

To sum it up, to each his own.

Yes you can say that it is overrated.......and the point of the debate is saying that the other opinions are wrong. With so many people saying it is the best thing ever, there will be backlash, and I happen to be part of the backlash against VII. It is a good game, no doubt, but it isn't best game of all time or the best RPG of all time, or even the best FF of all time. Halo 3 and the GTA series has this backlash too.....because they are overrated. Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 do not have backlash, or very much of it, why? Because they are truely worth their praise. But FFVII does have this backlash, so does the Halo series, and even Fallout 3, which I love. But I can see why people think its overrated, and I think it is too a little.

Overrated does not equal suck either.......I think Sephiroth is overrated, but he is better than most video game villains. But against say Kefka, or Kuja....no way.

The point of the post was not to say you yourself were wrong in your opinion. The point of it was, that stating it as fact is going a little overboard. There are people who consider FFVII the best game ever. I myself don't agree to this, but if someone enjoys the game the most, that is how they feel. I have also heard of people who say that FFVI is overrated (some time ago, I admit). That is just opinion and luckily, there are many, varied opinions. Of course, overrated doesn't mean it sucks, but your saying it's overrated simply based on your opinion on the game. When a game is called "the best", it is natural for it to be bashed in some way.

Kefka is an awesome villain, I agree. But I feel Sephiroth is vastly superior to Kuja. My opinion, naturally.

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

So running a linear FF game that is a cookie-cutter every time you "start new game" = immersion? I think not.

topsemag55

I think it is a bit weird how you represented the issue here.

I mean think about Mass Effect for a moment. The main base of that game is as rigid as any jrpg. Oooh, you can say something nauughty or nice, and a few party choices.. Come on! It's not a big deal . To me jrpg's seem to be a better way to properly present the vision developers have for a great story.

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

The point of the post was not to say you yourself were wrong in your opinion. The point of it was, that stating it as fact is going a little overboard. There are people who consider FFVII the best game ever. I myself don't agree to this, but if someone enjoys the game the most, that is how they feel. I have also heard of people who say that FFVI is overrated (some time ago, I admit). That is just opinion and luckily, there are many, varied opinions. Of course, overrated doesn't mean it sucks, but your saying it's overrated simply based on your opinion on the game. When a game is called "the best", it is natural for it to be bashed in some way.

Kefka is an awesome villain, I agree. But I feel Sephiroth is vastly superior to Kuja. My opinion, naturally.

calvinsora

Thank you! I totally agree! Thing is, we all have our beliefs, and if someone happens to have a difference of opinion, we have a tendency to tell them how wrong they are for thinking differently, which is what all this is really. People are free to believe what they want to believe, as long as they don't try to make me share their viewpoints in the process. When you boil it all down, anything can be considered overrated. Its all just a matter of having different sets of expectations and if said expectations are met. Its not an objective fact that FFVI's story is superior, since there will always be people who will disagree with that point of contention. Same thing goes with FFVII. Neither side is any more right than the other.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#56 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts
[QUOTE="_Tobli_"]

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]So running a linear FF game that is a cookie-cutter every time you "start new game" = immersion? I think not.

I think it is a bit weird how you represented the issue here.

I mean think about Mass Effect for a moment. The main base of that game is as rigid as any jrpg. Oooh, you can say something nauughty or nice, and a few party choices.. Come on! It's not a big deal . To me jrpg's seem to be a better way to properly present the vision developers have for a great story.

In Mass Effect, you have to choose which perty members die, decide a fate on an entire race, choose between rescuing hostages or capturing or killing the terrorist, saving the colony or not..........and in the end, saving the council or not. And you choices impact the sequel. That very maybe revolutionary in an RPG.... Like I said, the problem with JRPG's is their game is too long for the story, so the story starts to untrack maybe halfway or 2/3's of the way into the game. The only JRPG's that avoid this are FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3, and maybe Lost Odyssey (it ends before its story falls apart). Plus JRPGs are stuck in cliches, way more than WRPGs. Adolescent youth along with rag tag gang save world from great evil..........over and over again.
Avatar image for ChrisSpartan117
ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 ChrisSpartan117
Member since 2008 • 4519 Posts

[QUOTE="ChrisSpartan117"]

[QUOTE="stike22"]Haha, no worries I understand. They do tend to bash 7 a lot but at end of the day 7 touched a hell of a lot more people then 6 did, nothing they say can change that. Besides there is no reason to bash 7 it was one of the greatest JRPGs ever made as well as a definite one of the best FFs if 7 was bad, 6 must be worse...and that goes for most of the FFs as well for that matter.stike22

Actually, 7's popularity had nothing to do with its content. It had to do with Sony going all out with the advertising. They saw the game and realized it could be used as a weapon against the Nintendo 64, so they did everything they could to hype the game up, and I mean everything.

...Erm do me a favour look it up on Wiki it was originally meant to be on N64, whether anyone likes it or not it is ONE of the greatest JRPGs made and I asure you its not my favorite but facts are facts it one of the greats. Nothing anyone says changes that fact.

I know that, in fact, Square Enix stated that the main reason they went with the PS1 is because the CDs had more space for content.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="stike22"][QUOTE="ChrisSpartan117"]Actually, 7's popularity had nothing to do with its content. It had to do with Sony going all out with the advertising. They saw the game and realized it could be used as a weapon against the Nintendo 64, so they did everything they could to hype the game up, and I mean everything.

ChrisSpartan117

...Erm do me a favour look it up on Wiki it was originally meant to be on N64, whether anyone likes it or not it is ONE of the greatest JRPGs made and I asure you its not my favorite but facts are facts it one of the greats. Nothing anyone says changes that fact.

I know that, in fact, Square Enix stated that the main reason they went with the PS1 is because the CDs had more space for content.

I remember they had some demo showing of VI characters for the N64.......

then they moved to sony....

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#59 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
I've beat them all multiple times (exception with XII), and I have to say I agree. I didn't even play it for my first time 'til last year, and it was really fun.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 texasgoldrush
Here is gameradar US's take..............FFVI made the list of the top 15 video game stories...No other JRPGs are on the list!!!!!!!! The Story: An oppressive regime is attempting to unlock magic that nearly destroyed the world a thousand years earlier. In the process of re-discovering these forbidden mystic arts, the empire creates magic-infused soldiers that harness destructive abilities not seen in ages, one of whom is finally driven insane and seeks to not only overthrow the empire, but also reshape the world in his twisted image. He eventually succeeds after finally discovering the source of all magic - three statues that house actual gods - and plunges the planet into ruin. Your party, having failed to stop the nutcase in the first place, is scattered across the globe and has to try all over again to stop a man that seemingly has all of creation under his sociopathic control. You can condense it further to "crazy guy becomes all-powerful, wrecks the planet, then is killed by heroes" and it loses all semblance of depth. But pry just a hair's breadth deeper and you'll find a cast of characters that rivals anything else on the market, past, present and most likely far into the future. Why it's the best: Final Fantasy VI is all about personality. Each lead in this 14-strong ensemble cast has a distinct past, a reason to fight and a load of emotional baggage that'd make the staunchest of psychologists weep. Terra, after being used as a puppet of the empire, finds she's the product of a union between a human and an Esper, who are all that remain of magic in the world. She's an unholy mix that frightens the heroes and excites the villains, all alone in her quest for identity. Cyan has to watch his entire castle, wife and child included, poisoned and killed. After the world is destroyed, Celes believes all of her friends are dead and attempts suicide in one of the most heart-tearing moments we've ever witnessed in gaming. The soul-shearing barbs keep coming throughout the story, making FFVI much more personal than any before it, and arguably any since. See, this was the last Final Fantasy that had to focus on story and characters because the graphics were too primitive to showcase anything but blinking eyes and sagging heads. Even FFVII, widely hailed as the best thing that mankind has ever created, resorted to stereotypes and flashy cinemas instead of nailing down an unrivaled narrative. FFVI stands as the last line of defense against modern-day, style-over-substance RPGs. You spend so much time appreciating the technology that you forget how silly and trite some of the interactions really are. Then there's Kefka. We named him one of the series' best villains before and aren't about to step down from that opinion. By the time you run into him, he's already lost his mind and is well on his way to overthrowing the empire and claiming ultimate power. Like literally, ultimate power. Once imbued with said abilities, Kefka takes a scalpel to the planet, ripping up continents and murdering vast numbers of people just to see if he can. Then, with what's left, he creates a towering pile of refuse and junk to act as his massive throne. His reaction? Laughter. Constant laughter. Plenty of villains aspire to ruin the world - Kefka actually did, and his unwavering devotion to destruction makes the story's impact that much stronger.
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

[QUOTE="i-rock-socks"][QUOTE="BladesOfAthena"]

They're not?

BladesOfAthena

indeed they arent as a matter a fact FF6 is my fav FF, but i also love FF7 and have nothing but good things to say about it

Well not everyone thinks like you. Believe it or not, there have been countless arguments between both sides as to which is the better game. Heck, there are even a few in this thread who have expressed disagreement with the OP.

oh i see it people trying with all their might to... well im not sure what ur goals are are you expecting to change anyones opinion? why not tell people what the best fruit is or the best pizza topping its asinine
kefkarothX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 kefkarothX
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i agree with texasgold that ff6 is the best in the series. the story,characters,music everything about it its what makes the game so memorable. the other ff games are also awesome with the exception of ff 8 which i thought was the worst of the series. sure the chars and graphics were great on ff8 but the story is what really killed it. i can dig the concept of learning to be mercs and rivaling with galbadia but i felt that they couldve added more with their rivalry. and i could deal with the sorceress edea and even adel but when they did the ultimecia that ended any good hope of the game that was badly damaged by a freaking flying school,the 3 dream soldiers which was dumb and they couldve bought them in a better way. but back to ff6 it truly was amazing and to me it remains my all time fav rpg game after the past 15 years of playing it. i even sold the game on a few times in regret each time of doing so that i got it one last time in 98 and kept it since and even play it on emulation. many will say that the 2nd half of the game is simple because u can just go to the end with 3 characters at the mininum but remember thats once u truly mastered the game by playing countless times and u would never thought to even try it in the first quest. to me there were only 2 flaws to the game 1 they couldve made kefka much tougher for the final battle. but he was still a better challenge than lavos in which u can defeat with only one character in the beginning of the game after the first quest. i felt kefka's goner attack with the genji gear on should done at least 3000 hp on each char and his ultima shouldve been as stron as the brachosaur's doing high damage if the char could be overpowered easily. the 2 flaw was they couldve explained a little more about each of the allies in the ruin world and explore some background story with each of them like they did with cyan in the dream stooges/wrexsoul thing. but thats enough i think i said too much now fav ff games top 5 1 ff6 2 ff7 3 tie with ff4 and ff9 4 ff5 5 ff3.
kefkarothX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 kefkarothX
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i agree with texasgold that ff6 is the best in the series. the story,characters,music everything about it its what makes the game so memorable. the other ff games are also awesome with the exception of ff 8 which i thought was the worst of the series. sure the chars and graphics were great on ff8 but the story is what really killed it. i can dig the concept of learning to be mercs and rivaling with galbadia but i felt that they couldve added more with their rivalry. and i could deal with the sorceress edea and even adel but when they did the ultimecia that ended any good hope of the game that was badly damaged by a freaking flying school,the 3 dream soldiers which was dumb and they couldve bought them in a better way. but back to ff6 it truly was amazing and to me it remains my all time fav rpg game after the past 15 years of playing it. i even sold the game on a few times in regret each time of doing so that i got it one last time in 98 and kept it since and even play it on emulation. many will say that the 2nd half of the game is simple because u can just go to the end with 3 characters at the mininum but remember thats once u truly mastered the game by playing countless times and u would never thought to even try it in the first quest. to me there were only 2 flaws to the game 1 they couldve made kefka much tougher for the final battle. but he was still a better challenge than lavos in which u can defeat with only one character in the beginning of the game after the first quest. i felt kefka's goner attack with the genji gear on should done at least 3000 hp on each char and his ultima shouldve been as strong as the brachosaur's doing high damage if the char could be overpowered easily. the 2 flaw was they couldve explained a little more about each of the allies in the ruin world and explore some background story with each of them like they did with cyan in the dream stooges/wrexsoul thing. but thats enough i think i said too much now fav ff games top 5 1 ff6 2 ff7 3 tie with ff4 and ff9 4 ff5 5 ff3.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#64 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Someone is a level 75 necroposter...

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

[QUOTE="BladesOfAthena"]

[QUOTE="i-rock-socks"] indeed they arent as a matter a fact FF6 is my fav FF, but i also love FF7 and have nothing but good things to say about iti-rock-socks

Well not everyone thinks like you. Believe it or not, there have been countless arguments between both sides as to which is the better game. Heck, there are even a few in this thread who have expressed disagreement with the OP.

oh i see it people trying with all their might to... well im not sure what ur goals are are you expecting to change anyones opinion? why not tell people what the best fruit is or the best pizza topping its asinine

Umm, what? I'm not the one trying to claim my favorite FF is superior to the rest.

And you're absolutely right, it is asinine, which was pretty much my point the entire time.

oville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 oville
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

As others have said you have a problem of discerning fact from opinion. You want to praise VI, fine. You don't like VII, fine. But don't act like your feelings are gospel. I don't feel the same way you do about Terra. I thought she was pretty bland. Her personality was pretty cliche as the shy, sweet, naive girl. When it came to VI I felt a lot of the times a lot of the characters didn't get explored as much as they should because of the fact that theres no central character. The main plot in the first half of the game is pretty generic and in the second half of the game is virtually non existant. I know the second half is supposed to be about the characters but aside from Celes and Cyan I don't really see the characters developed in a great way. Edgar is pretty much the same guy, Sabin is too. Setzer's whole character and the way he came into your party was rushed. The guy was going to kidnap a girl and take her with him all of a sudden you catch him in a trap because he has a flying ship and he becomes one of the good guys. Huh? Then they tried to make him sympathetic by talking about his friend from the past but it didn't really grab me because this guy is a sicko who just kidnaps women and becomes a good guy all of a sudden and there trying to throw me this sad story. Locke gets a potion to wake up his old girlfriend and all she tells him is that she's going to die anyway and to love someone else. It just seemed very generic to me. Gau's encounter with his father. Now maybe I missed something but how did they even guess that was his father. It seemed like they just met a guy and said it was your father and they were right. No real development. Then you find out that he was abandoned by his now I guess senile father but its handled in such a sudden way that theres no emotional impact for me. By the way Gau was an extremely annoying character. I like sublety in stories but Relm and Shadow's relationship would have benefitted if you got to see Shadow with Relm more and asking her questions like how are you doing in school or asked her about her mother. This would have kept the mystery and the guilt that Shadow had over leaving Relm but exploring there relationship in a manner that would have been more effective than the dream sequences.

I think as someone mentioned before a big problem I had with VI is that it puts so much focus on other characters and giving them equal time that although each character has a personal resolution at the end, the characters themselves aren't very well developed. The same way you feel like the execution was off in VII I feel the same way about VI. Its like they were begging me to feel sorry for some of these characters but because each of there stories seemed so rush I really couldn't make to much of an emotional connection with a lof of them. And because the game is so lacking in a main plot if I don't feel an emotional connection with a lot of the characters then theres really not that much I think is great about the actual story. I mean you mention how Cloud isn't very human and that it goes more metaphysical but I felt more of an emotional connection with Cloud because you see that he was an underdog all of his life and an outcast he set out to be a member of SOLDIER and redeem himself and failed and his hero whom he looked up to destroyed his whole town, he had trouble remembering who he was because of the experiments that were done to him and he has to figure out who his identity was. You see him start out as a mercenary who could care less about the planet, to someone who is bent on revenge. You see him breakdown and become a mess of himself after being confronted about his past and you see his guilt in helping Sephiroth summon Meteor. In just Cloud's one story you see such human emotions as shyness, wanting to become accepted, and jealousy of the other children when we see him as a kid. To being ashamed of himself after not becoming a member of SOLDIER and not wanting to reveal himself to Tifa out of shame when he's wearing the Shinra officer suit. Then you see him as a brash cocky mercenary at the start of the game, to a person hell bent on revenge later on, to a very insecure shell of himself later on, to finally becoming comfortable with who he is and displaying strong leadership skills.

This is all because VII had a main character and didn't have to share time with the other characters in the game.The main character's story pushed the main plot of the game and helped represent its main theme. VI shared its time with all its characters and in doing so most of the characters arcs seemed rushed to me. This wouldn't be such a problem if the game actually had a main plot to keep things interesting on the latter half of the game but instead the game relies on doing a fetch quest for all your characters again and forcing you to feel sorry for some characters who for the most part have stories that are so cut short that it didn't allow for me to really make an emotional connection to them. For a lot of the cast like Gau, Setzer, Relm, or Strago I'm supposed to care about them but I don't because there stories needed a little bit more meat. Just because everyone's personal conflict was resolved doesn't mean that there character was well developed.

So you see your opinion about VI and VII shouldnt be made as facts when the same things you dislike about VII I disliked about VI. Its one thing if you want to point out the flaws in a game or praise another one but if someone says "why are you saying VII is overrated when I can say the same thing about VI" and you reply "well people say its overrated because it deserves it because I didn't like this, that, and the third." Well I can say the same thing about VI because its all opinions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

IV & VII > VIII > X > VI> the rest. I Have enjoyed every final fantasy I have played (I-XII and excluding XI) and naturally some are better than others.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#68 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

I've finished 1 - 12 (except XI... because you can't finish it)

and I thought FFVI sucked.

Esper system was broken, story had poor pacing, some characters were under-developed but the game kept shoving more at the players, music was so so, Kefka was uninteresting and unsatisfying main villian, etc.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Please don't bump threads after more than a couple weeks of inactivity. Thanks.