Why don't I enjoy rpgs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nolanw485
Member since 2016 • 59 Posts

I have tried playing many rpgs like the witcher 3, fallout, skyrim, and mass effect but I never find myself enjoying them. I am trying to find a game that I can put hundreds of hours in without feeling like I am getting bored. For example while playing the witcher 3 I made it up to trying to find that guys wife, and I was like "nah this shit boring." Any game suggestions?

vespuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 vespuche
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

Maybe try some JRPGs. Persona 5 is awesome. Final Fantasy X is my all time favorite.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

I don't blame you. While I enjoy RPG's, they can be tedious at times. They are long, most of the time you do the same thing again and again. For example, how many missions that you search the trail in Witcher 3? A ton. That's why IMO, RPG's needs at least a decent story and characters. When you play for so long, doing every time basicilly the same mission, and grind for loot, there better be a decend story.

You don't have to like RPG's. Play what you like. While RPG is one of my favourite geners, I know it is not for everyone.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Yeah I can see how those games aren't for everyone.

• I had to force myself to finish the WItcher 3 after about 3/4 of the way through. And that was my 3rd try. The combat took forever to get really good and the movement was janky. Alchemy/Combat late game was really fun but I was too burnt out to do NG+.
  • Fallout 4 is basically a base-building shooter, not an RPG. I put like 300 hours into it but never did any of the story.
  • Skyrim... Well I got into that, but heavily modded, and I took time to set up the lore for my character and tried to role-play that shit. Didn't start the main story until dozens of hours into the game (alternate start mod).

What do you think about real RPGs like Divinity: Original Sin 2?

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I drink whiskey when playing fallout. Makes the game a million times better.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#6 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2945 Posts

oh man. Virtually any multiplayer game would suffice, if you are looking for something you won't be bored of. I have several hundreds of hours in various multiplayer games.

On PC I would recommend maybe a MOBA like Dota 2 or League of Legends. Although there are various shooters as well people tend to sink hours into like Counter-Strike, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, Battlefield etc.

On Xbox, Halo.

On Nintendo, Mario Kart.

On PlayStation, Call of Duty.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nolanw485

@pyro1245: yeah unfortunately I am on xbox, and ps4 so I won't be able to try that out. Also I feel that if I am going to play any rpg I would rather play an action rpg. If you have any other suggestions let me know.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58270 Posts

I love RPGs, for the most part, but I totally understand your problems with them. The more traditional ones are a slow-burn in the beginning, requiring you to spend hours leveling up your character, talking to people, and so forth. RPGs also come with a lot of rules, so sometimes when you want to do something, the rules don't let you.

I still enjoy RPGs, but not as much as I used to; as great as Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity, and games in that vein are I can't find them holding my interest like they did in the past with Icewind Dale, Planescape, and so on.

@nolanw485 said:

@pyro1245: yeah unfortunately I am on xbox, and ps4 so I won't be able to try that out. Also I feel that if I am going to play any rpg I would rather play an action rpg. If you have any other suggestions let me know.

If you don't like Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fallout, and The Witcher 3, you probably won't like most other action-RPGs. Maybe you should just give up on the genre entirely, there is no shame in that. It's only one genre out of many.

*Have you tried Diablo 3? Grim Dawn? Those are isometric action-RPGs, you can spend hundreds of hours in them, easily.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nolanw485

@mrbojangles25: yeah most likely I probably will give up on the genre. It just seems like most games that give you over 100 hours are rpgs.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

@nolanw485: try strategy games? i've lost so many hours to games like the total war series and the civilization games. ultimately i guess the gameplay in those games is analogous to rpgs in that instead of developing a character, you're developing an army or an entire country, but the gameplay is arguably more concise and focused

edit: just seen you game on xbox and ps4, strategy games are pretty underrepresented on those systems. something like xcom 2 might still hit the spot for you though, or tropico maybe. i think civ revolution on the 360 is backwards compatible too

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nolanw485

@Macutchi: Yeah I was thinking xcom 2. I just feel like I am the type of person to get bored of it. I think I tried xcom enemy unknown, and my experience was iffy.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58270 Posts

@nolanw485 said:

@mrbojangles25: yeah most likely I probably will give up on the genre. It just seems like most games that give you over 100 hours are rpgs.

I find myself spending the most time with city builders (Sim City 4, Cities Skylines, Anno 2070, etc) followed by Turn-based/Grand-strategy games like Civilization, Total War series, and Stellaris. I know those two genres are not all that prevalent on console unfortunately, but I am sure you could find something along those lines.

Have you played the newer XCOM games? They will take up a lot of your time.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nolanw485

@mrbojangles25: I am thinking xcom 2, but its still 60 at the moment, and I am not sure if I want to pay that much. Do you think its worth that price?

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Try JRPGS like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Persona, Golden Sun and more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Well, most of the RPGs you are listed are open world RPGs. maybe linear RPGs will suit you better.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nolanw485

@dorog1995: Could you list me some linear rpgs?

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Old fashion'd rpgs such as Divinity would definitely bore you to death as they are so slow to play. Torment, Pillars of Eternity, suchlike...

Try Diablo 3 or FFXV for some more fast paced level upping.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

@nolanw485: These are the ones that I know:

1.Dragon Age Origins

2.Star Wars Kotor 1 and 2.(Play Kotor 1 first and if you liked it play Kotor 2 with TSLRCM mod)

3.sid meier's pirates

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nolanw485

@dorog1995: I actually just started back up my save of mass effect 2 and since I played for a little more I feel like I am starting to enjoy it a bit more.

DimiVGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 DimiVGaming
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

man i love em!

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

Maybe because you prefer action RPG than TBS or vice-versa. But I suggest to try Dark Souls.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nolanw485

@bush_dog: what are some action rpgs you can recommend?

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mecha_frieza
Member since 2007 • 1305 Posts

@nolanw485 said:

I have tried playing many rpgs like the witcher 3, fallout, skyrim, and mass effect but I never find myself enjoying them. I am trying to find a game that I can put hundreds of hours in without feeling like I am getting bored. For example while playing the witcher 3 I made it up to trying to find that guys wife, and I was like "nah this shit boring." Any game suggestions?

Perhaps you want something that is a bit more actiony with less dialogue. Why not try Nioh, any of the Souls games or Dragon's Dogma?

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bush_Dog

@nolanw485: Try Dark Souls Series!

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nolanw485

@mecha_frieza@bush_dog do you know if the surge is a good game? Also how difficult is it?

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bush_Dog

@nolanw485: Sorry but it's my first time hearing the game. So I searched for it on Steam and it actually looks good maybe I'll buy it next payday. Lol I came here to give suggestion but ended up being helped. Thanks.

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

Hmmmmm. Maybe you just don't like WRPGs. Maybe you should try some JRPGs and see if you like those better.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Maybe you should try some action RPG's like The Ys Series, Kingdom Hearts, or FFXV.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@stuff238 said:

I drink whiskey when playing fallout. Makes the game a million times better.

You wouldn't want to try that on survival mode ;)

StrandedSail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StrandedSail
Member since 2018 • 9 Posts

Final Fantasy 6... it's Final Fantasy 3 for the super nintendo. If it doesn't make you fall in love with the genre, literally nothing will.

toreman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 toreman87
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

I have the same problem, I've tried to get into them but just find them a little dull

Hinata2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Hinata2
Member since 2018 • 20 Posts

@nolanw485: have you tried some MMORPGs? usually the reason why players gets bored of the game is because of lack of competition, in MMORPGs they usually had a PVP feature and this can change your gaming experience as no humans want to be beaten right?

for starters why not try games like "Return of Warrior" :) the game has a small no. of players for now but i believe after their fight against the private servers, a mass of players should join the game and if youre that kind of player who gets bored easily in farming/grinding then think of what you want to do first, as MMORPG needs some thinking in every items/skills you put in your arsenals

good luck :)

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#38 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

You don't like them because they're inherently boring in places. Some have too much combat. Some have too much dialog/cutscenes. Most have a strict linear story, which to me is bad for an "RPG".

What makes RPGs worth playing to me are the NPCs recognizing my impact on the world ("you didn't have to kill them all Shepard") and/or an addicting progression system. I've finished bad RPGs like Blue Dragon because I enjoyed the progression enough.

That said, the games you listed are some of the best modern ones although their merits as an "RPG" are a bit in name only. Most of the ones you listed are more action games. I can't believe you didn't like Mass Effect. To each his own.

dorkmeister579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dorkmeister579
Member since 2018 • 37 Posts

I can see why people would dislike them because of the slower gameplay(specifically Pokemon, etc), but I find them to be quite relaxing and enjoyable.

Arlith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Arlith
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

@nolanw485: What exactly bores you? Does the world feel too lonely? Is the storyline not engaging enough? What about the npcs, what are they lacking?

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4206 Posts

Because RPGs are about leveling up, character custamizations, stats, and barring action RPGs, pretend battles. If you don’t like these things, first and foremost, you’re not going to like RPGs. RPGs also have things like story and open world environment, different characters that may have differing personalities.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#42  Edited By freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

@arlith: since you are a new user, you may not know the rules, so allow me to tell you one of the rules of the forums, Do not bump old thread

you can find the rules here

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/ask-the-mods-909361134/gamespot-community-code-of-conduct-31702042/