why do you play older games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pspfanboy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pspfanboy6
Member since 2010 • 91 Posts

why do u guys play older retro games? Is it because you want to relive your childhood? Is it because you don't like the current games available? Is it because you are a retronerd/collector? why, when there are games out today with amazing graphics and gameplay do you insist on playing OLD games? And do you prefer older games to today's modern games?

wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

I player both old and new games. Reason I still play old ones is because some games are so good theyre fun to replay (goes the same for new games too).Plus Theres some games I never got to play or didnt know of so I like going back and trying them out.

Tenko72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Tenko72
Member since 2003 • 662 Posts

I play old school games because 1) until recent, there were no games released for PS3 or 360 worth getting. and 2) I'm cheap! Lol!

Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

For a combination of:

• the difficulty
  • to experience games that I missed when growing up
  • to understand how some genres have evolved

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
Simple: For fun.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

I player both old and new games. Reason I still play old ones is because some games are so good theyre fun to replay (goes the same for new games too).Plus Theres some games I never got to play or didnt know of so I like going back and trying them out.

wildcat2000
thats a good answer, I also play games regardless of their age, youre just as likely to find me playing my PS3 as you are to find me playing my PS1 or Saturn
unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts
I just play games. I don't limit myself to a certain era (be current 7th gen or 1st gen), and for some reason, I generally hate the mind set of being a "retro" or "modern" gamer. I don't see how anyone could be so shallow as to only play new games with "teh grafx", and at the same time I can't fathom why some gamers act like stubborn old coots that think whatever the hip whipper snappers churn out will never be as good as games from the (insert childhood generation number)nth gen. I simply play fun games.
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#8 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
I prefer the oldies because there's more to them for me, they're more enjoyable and just overall fun. There's such a huge variety of them, you can find anything you're looking for. This gen, it's mostly shoot-'em-up/FPS/cliche and overdone genres that is just getting very boring to see.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Because there are alot of fun old games.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

I'm dirt poor and haven't gotten any of the current gen consoles yet.

emilioacosta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 emilioacosta
Member since 2003 • 130 Posts

I myself, im a classic gamer and a collector

Recently I made a list that I must buy for the memories, and I'm on my way, but sometimes its too expensive, hell I paid $60 bucks for Castlevania Dracula X for the SNES, and for the most part because I have a Wii and a X360 to maintain (damn you Live Arcade and Wiiware)

But the true meaning of playing old classic videogames mostly for the SNES, its because of my childhood like someone mentioned. My sister begs me everytime she has the chance, to play Super Castlevania IV, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64 or the DKC series (the Rare ones) she loves to see me complete them.

I think is for the nostalgia, besides they are terrific games with some of the best music and gameplay.. is for the memories of good old times, anyone here in their twentysomething remember playing Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye or Smash Bros. with a Dominos Pizza and Coke, just for the thrill

Everyone who played Twilight Princess, have the chills when you enter trough the door of the Entrance of Temple Of Time, and when the same tune starts, you immediately remember the good days of playing Ocarina of Time

Or how about the trips with your family, with your old Game Boy, you start playing Super Mario Land or Link's Awakening and you remember that trip

I don't know if I'm getting old and don't have the same time I used to (I'm a dentist), but a lot of new games are not as good nostalgic like the old ones, well, maybe in several years will do, but nowadays is all connectivity, sure you bash all you want in Modern Warfare, or play Wii online without saying a word, you wont have the memories with your friends and pizzas (I think I'm hungry), that you used too

Enough said! is Gameplay + Music + Nostalgia all the way

reifresca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 reifresca
Member since 2010 • 351 Posts
There's a lot of good older games that I haven't played or finished, that's all.
Darth_Sibbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#13 Darth_Sibbs
Member since 2004 • 4234 Posts
Many various reasons, mostly for fun and the memories. Just because the graphics may have dated doesn't make a game any less fun.
Deaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Deaho
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

The thing about the old games is that it wasn't real and some times u need to get out of ur life by using some thing not real but the games today looks real which make u feel like ,I want get out of my real life mode and even the games get me the same streets I walk at what the heck.

I am not saying games today not fun they are but not like the old games,old game was simply the best.

Avatar image for child_of_lileth
child_of_lileth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 child_of_lileth
Member since 2007 • 4066 Posts

Because it's stupid to not play games just because they aren't current.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Because games from the last gen are mostly pretty cheap. For the same price as 40 brand new games, I have over 400 Xbox games.
kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

Because it's stupid to not play games just because they aren't current.

child_of_lileth

my favorite post yet:D

and i play them because they are just as fun and you get more for your money...

i really dont care about grafix as log as i can tell what thos thingys are..

i play current games too... but i havent played most of the classics.. so i also need to pay thos

and i can have like 10 systems because most of them are under 50$ instead of 200-300$

psyko0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 psyko0815
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts

why do u guys play older retro games? Is it because you want to relive your childhood? Is it because you don't like the current games available? Is it because you are a retronerd/collector? why, when there are games out today with amazing graphics and gameplay do you insist on playing OLD games? And do you prefer older games to today's modern games?

pspfanboy6

Simple... because better graphics does not mean its a better game. And what is this amazing gameplay you are on about. Most of the popular games this gen are mindless FPS where you just run around and shoot things. That might have been fun when I was 12 (I'm 25 now). Anyway, I have all 3 current gen systems but I can list some older games that can't be touched by ANY game from this gen.

Avatar image for strategik_basic
strategik_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 strategik_basic
Member since 2002 • 364 Posts

Because I can.

AwesomeKenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AwesomeKenny
Member since 2010 • 375 Posts
I like playing retro games for the memories and fun of course. I also like retro games more than current gen games. I mean, if I had to choose between Super Nintendo and Xbox 360, I would choose Super Nintendo :D
kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

Because I can.

strategik_basic

yea!!!!!:lol:

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

because they just seem like im playing a game and not a similation but only specific current gen games made me feel like a kid again. the only games i seem to like as much as the old games are mosly the arcade and sim racers, and most of my wii games

russia_agents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 russia_agents
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I think, many old games have a very good gameplay.Sometimes old games are worse than new games only in graphics. Some of old games still have no competitors in new (modern) games. For example: most great quest games were created in 1990-2000 years. By the way, does anyone remeber a сlaymation game "Neverhood"? And how many modern (after 2000 year) claymation games do you know? So, you see, sometimes old games are unrivalled (is without a rival).

But if a game is old - it does not necessarily means that it looks badly in graphic. There are many old games that looks like a real cartoon or movie (Brain Dead 13, Space Ace, Fox Hunt...). Many old games can give you a unique gameplay experience. And don't forget that some game's genres are mostly present in old games and platforms (2D platformers as an example).

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Shidira
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts
I play them for a few reasons: I grew up playing them, I'm a collector, and I feel there are many good games on the older systems.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

I have tons of reasons. The largest one being the frequent spans of months at a time where there are zero new games worth owning.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
I play both. I also like playing games that I missed out on.
DonatelloToAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#27 DonatelloToAll
Member since 2009 • 813 Posts

I play older games for the challenge and simpleness that isn't found in todays games.I'm also a retronerd,if you want to call it that,so I generally love collecting the games.I don't prefer older games to new games,or vice versa.I love just about all good games.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

wildcat2000
Pretty much this. So many retro games are just fun to reply and never really get old. Also being that my family didn't have a lot of money growing up I missed out on a lot of gems but now I can afford to play them!
Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

Because games are games no matter how out dated or old they are. It shouldn't matter If the graphics or gameplay today are better then the graphics 15 or 20 years ago. Games are not made only to be played once and then thats it.Thats the beauty of them. You can play them whenever you want because you own them. I personally don't like spending 60 or 70 dollers on a game just to play them once and then either trade them in or let them collect dust. I like to get my moneys worth. They are a part of my childhood and my memories. Something everyone should try to hold onto even as you get older because getting old sucks. I'm 23 years old, not old at all but before I know it I'll be 45. Time moves a lot faster now because of technology and before you know it memories will be the only thing you have when your an old man. So you should appreciate old games just as much as new ones because they are the reason why the industry is as successful as it is today. The reason why games are still around and why they look and play the way they do today. So you go play your new games and think about what I am saying. Cuz in 10 15 or 20 years from now you'll be thinking the same as all of us do.

Melpoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30 Melpoe
Member since 2009 • 3635 Posts

I love all games, old or new. For me im trying to get my hands on an snes at the moment :).

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2600 Posts

Because they are still a million times better than today's games. Pure fun those retro games are.

Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#32 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts

For me, I enjoy games that held storylines and gameplay to a higher degree than graphical quality. Good graphics and voice acting ruined video games for me, for the most part.

edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 edo-tensei
Member since 2007 • 4581 Posts

I play them because a quality game is always a qyuality game. Go play games like ff6(3), alink to the past or super metroid and you'll understand. You seem to be a yong gamer based on that question. I think you'll understand 15 to 20 years from now when you go back to the good games of this generation. Or maybe you're just a casual gamer, not that there's anything wrong with that.

PSX-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#34 PSX-man
Member since 2007 • 417 Posts

There are barely any newer games that catches my interest. The only ones that do are sequels or remakes of games I grew up with like the new Medal of Honor game, Mafia 2 and Grand Theft Auto 4.

common_fate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 common_fate
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts

Because graphics aren't everything there is to a game. Ok so games are more in-depth and there are some better concepts floating around out there but the main thing is that all these old great games are still fun. Also, they bring back the good old memories like when you first turn on the Nintendo 64 and just go woooooow. It is kind of like reliving a piece of that childhood.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
cuz i like takin' it back old school G
Dj_Strafer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dj_Strafer
Member since 2004 • 315 Posts

for fun and memories :)

kbk1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kbk1989
Member since 2004 • 109 Posts

I play classics because I grew up with them and still enjoy revisiting those memories and playing through some games that when I was younger I couldn't finish :D. I also like playing them because I can get some games/systems I didn't have when I was younger that I did want to play.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#39 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

for fun and memories :)

Dj_Strafer
Exactly
Goobberzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#40 Goobberzz
Member since 2008 • 592 Posts
I like finding out the history of video games.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#41 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well i still play my oldergames ,because they are different then todays

ifthey werent i wouldnt play them

-topgear name one game that plays alike-except nascar-infact i think thats where nascar games gottheir pit aspect from , wastop gear -thefirst game to make you pit butthe problem is , ,

no game is as fun asit

crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 crashndash
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
memories =D i play them to remember the good old days