Why do you game?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

escapism, that and because video games are fun.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

As a form of entertainment video games require the least amount of effort to be satisfying, while still giving you a feeling that you've actually accomplished something. Plus, the fact that videogames require more effort from the user than books and films for example, might occupy your mind to a point that you more easily forget about the troubles of the real world. So, I'm pretty much repeating what others have said.

When it comes to the solitary part, I'm very much like that. I like being alone and I tend to avoid too much social interactions, because I find them tiring and uncomfortable. On the other hand, my girlfriend and all my close friends are very social people. They also all don't play videogames (apart from some social games on the Wii). :-P So I must have done something right socially.

I'm not sure, but for the people out there who have social problems and haven't tried therapy yet, I recommend it. I've had therapy in several stages of my life to deal with my social anxiety and it helped. I'm still not happy with the state I'm in and I'm going to start therapy again very soon, since after graduation I'm having trouble applying for a job (my big weakness is that I fill in other people's thoughts and that I can't start interactions, because I always feel that I might be intruding or that my presence is undesired), but I think I owe my girlfriend and close friends (who keep me firmly anchored in the real world) to therapy. It is important, however, to not randomly pick your therapist, You've got to try out several ones and see if there's a connection. I've met a lot of people who were either too suspicious or too proud to go to a therapist, but they can be useful, even if it's just to talk to someone.

Anyway, not claiming I know best or that therapy is the solution to everything, or that you can't be happy or content being alone. Just offering a perspective. :-)

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

To get outta this lame life n have a little fun , it makes me feel great ,even helps me with my confidence !

Like @pyratrum said : Escapism, fun and enjoyment.!

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

It used to be about having fun and escaping to a fantasy world. Now it's just a way relief stress, kill time, and being overly critical to learn mistakes for hopes of creating my own games eventually.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

When I play games, its normally to wind down after a long day at uni or work. I generally prefer gaming over watching films or TV. I used to play more competitively in my teenage years, but now I don't have much time to game so I just play for fun.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#56 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Simply to pass the time. When there isn't anything good on tv or if I don't feel like chipping away at my massive anime library that has been growing for years, I turn on the console (or PC) and play.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

I love videogames. I started with the PSX and I never stopped since. I have played on the PC, Nintendo DS, Xbox and many others. I just love games more than I love any other source of entertainment.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

I like the fact that I can come in from work. Take off my shoes and within 10 minutes I've completely forgotten the stresses of the day.

I suffer from stress and anxiety on a daily basis and the best way I've found to combat this if playing video games (not multiplayer as sometimes that can make it worse). No other medium of entertainment has the same affect on my psyche than when I'm lost in a games expansive world. I'm quite lucky in the fact that my GF enjoys playing games also so it's something we can do together.

...Oh and they kick ass.

CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By CoquiNegro
Member since 2013 • 171 Posts

I grew up playing video games so its always been a part of me. I'm currently finishing my bachelors degree and once I've completed it, heading on to my masters degree. Once I'm out of that, too, I'll begin my game design career.

I honestly don't play that much anymore, since I barely have time to scratch my nose. I always find some time for it, though. 3 hours a week at least.