Why do Virtua Fighter Fans Praise the game for being a non Button Masher

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by sundayismyDAD (438 posts) -

I guess it is just a fanboy thing. I've played the game before. 1-5. And Even in five I was able to button mash my way through the game. They often say that Tekken is a button masher but, being a tekken fan, I know that every character is different and some require more skill to be able to master. Characters like Hwoarang, Lee Chaolon, and Eddy Gordo are perfect examples of characters that don't require as much skill. Other characters like Craig Marduk and Yoshimitsu have much more advanced move and may require some time to get used to.

Some may say that Yoshimitsu is Button Masher character but may have never used him. I am often told that I am button mashing when using this character but it is not always what is happening.

#2 Posted by dragonps (1667 posts) -

I guess it is just a fanboy thing. I've played the game before. 1-5. And Even in five I was able to button mash my way through the game. They often say that Tekken is a button masher but, being a tekken fan, I know that every character is different and some require more skill to be able to master. Characters like Hwoarang, Lee Chaolon, and Eddy Gordo are perfect examples of characters that don't require as much skill. Other characters like Craig Marduk and Yoshimitsu have much more advanced move and may require some time to get used to.

Some may say that Yoshimitsu is Button Masher character but may have never used him. I am often told that I am button mashing when using this character but it is not always what is happening.

sundayismyDAD
Try button mashing skills against good players and you'll certainly find your win ratio going down. In fact I tried to button mash my way through VF5 quest mode and failed, it was only when I looked at the options I had and learned the mechanics better that I improved. However in Tekken I was able to do one move (Bobs RP works) and rank up fairly quickly in the ghost battles in fact I used a turbo pad and left the game on all day, by the evening I had almost 25 million in gold and had leveled up to guardian. However thats not to say that VF is not noobie friendly as I found it was easy to learn (the basics) just very hard to master.
#3 Posted by Byshop (18213 posts) -

sundayismyDAD

A) At what difficulty level?

B) That quality of a fighting game is never measured by the single player modes.

-Byshop

#4 Posted by TheLoneMortal (136 posts) -

B) That quality of a fighting game is never measured by the single player modes.Byshop
I don't think fighting games should be judged by their single-player modes (it shouldn't be one of the primary aspects to judge imo), but some people look for how well they are designed I guess.

#5 Posted by nini200 (11484 posts) -
Sorry you haven't fought any real players on Virtua Fighter because you will get your behind handed to you by pressing buttons. I'm guessing you use Lei Fei and in his case, button mashing does work a little but you'd still get owned by real players. Also, don't try the Down + Punch technique against real players either because that little technique can easily be Tsubake'd/Parried and Punished severely.

Virtua Fighter is by far the most advanced 3D fighter out there to date. Tekken is not even in virtua fighter's league when it comes to technicality and I love Tekken. Michelle Chang is my favorite, followed by Lee Chaolan. I play alot of fighters and Tekken is nowhere close to Virtua Fighter's technical engine. Tekken doesn't even have a physics engine built in. Virtua Fighter uses even character's weight to differentiate the different juggle'sthat can be done. For instance, a Launcher that works on El Blaze will not work on Taka Arashi because Taka is Heavier than El Blaze. Feel free to PM me TC if you want to play VF5 Final Showdown and me and my party friends (Party Room Online is what I mean) be glad to show you why Virtua Fighter is a technical beast.