Why do so many people despise Call of Duty?

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1 TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

Yeah, I know, you guys are all sick about hearing about Call of Duty, but it baffles me how many haters for this series there are. I am not saying the series is perfect, but what series is? Why does everyone complain about a COD game being released every year, but nobody said one thing about the fact that we are getting 3 Resident Evil games this year or how we got 3 Mario games in a span of 2 months?

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Because it's popular.

Seriously.

GreySun369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GreySun369
Member since 2010 • 226 Posts

You must be talking about the Resident Evil fanboys who refer to every person that plays the new games as a "Call of Duty fanboy"...

I've personally never played Call of Duty, but I don't think it can be hated that much if it's a widely successful series that comes out with a new game every year. I can see some people not liking it if they're not into war shooters, because there's really no video game that's right for everyone.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

There is so many reasons. Lets start with the most obvious.

The game just isnt that good. In fact it was never that great. It was a good game back in the day but in todays world the game is dated. Its influence over the industry is very bad. The fact that other superior games, creative games ,get overlooked but COD sells 20 million on a yearly basis is pathetic. Its says to game designers they dont need to be creative, just make a medicore shooter

Call of Duty simply has nothing to offer the game industy yet is the most successful franchise in existence today.

It also happens to be the have the most broken multiplayer experience to ever exist in MP gaming. Really i can't name one reason to like it. I think the topic should be changed to why do so many people "like" Call of Duty. What is so special about it? Its just another game to me. I'll never understand the love for that terd of a game.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I don't really hate the game, rather I hate the multiplayer community of the series. Almost everyone you run into online seems homophobic, racist, sexist, etc. I've got better things to do than listen to people badmouth each other online.

BoristheBlade1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BoristheBlade1
Member since 2012 • 94 Posts

The game just isnt that good. In fact it was never that great. It was a good game back in the day but in todays world the game is dated. Its influence over the industry is very bad. The fact that other superior games, creative games ,get overlooked but COD sells 20 million on a yearly basis is pathetic. Its says to game designers they dont need to be creative, just make a medicore shooter

Call of Duty simply has nothing to offer the game industy yet is the most successful franchise in existence today.

It also happens to be the have the most broken multiplayer experience to ever exist in MP gaming. Really i can't name one reason to like it. I think the topic should be changed to why do so many people "like" Call of Duty. What is so special about it? Its just another game to me. I'll never understand the love for that terd of a game.

brucecambell
I couldn't agree more!
GreySun369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GreySun369
Member since 2010 • 226 Posts

brucecambell

I'm not trying to start a flamewar so don't get offended at me for saying this, but I really don't understand people who hate a game/movie/song just because it's highly successful and they don't want it to be. It's fine to not like something that other people like, but constantly preaching about how you feel it shouldn't be popular when it already is is just silly in my opinion. People like what they like.

yuri19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 yuri19
Member since 2008 • 363 Posts

I can understand people loving the series, i can understand people not loving the series. But the people that seem to find the series very existance a personal affront and spend so much energy and time attacking and turning every thread into a COD bashing exercise baffle me.

SonicX_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SonicX_89
Member since 2008 • 573 Posts

I think the Call of Duty games are fine. I do enjoy playing through the campaigns of each one (although MW3 was a bit of a let down). Multiplayer can be fun as well, that is if I'm not dying every thirty steps. I think one of the biggest reasons people are so down on the series is that Activision is intent on keeping it on an annual release schedule. There has been a CoD every year since 2005 and it can get tiring. As far as gameplay is concerned, I can understand incremental changes to the formula as the series goes on so as not to alienate veteran players. The issue is that since new games are released so frequently, whatever changes that are made seem overshadowed by the fact that gameplay feels the exact same as it did the year before, except with a new $60 price tag. Another issue I have is the graphics. I don't think MW3 is a terrible looking game - I have seen far worse - it's just that I would expect more of visual evolution in the series.

grh11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 grh11
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I believe many people do not like the way Activision has milked the franchise. The same can be said about many game publishers.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

It's because the series has oversaturated the market. It's dumb people hate it to the extent that they do, but I can see why people don't care for the games - but there's no need to go on a rant and hate spread about it. If people like them, they do and that's fine.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I don't hate it, I'm just tired of it. It's a franchise that is barfed out annually across two different teams that really haven't done much to evolve the series since the last reboot in 2007. Since then, they've mostly looked and played all the same. It's the same reason I got sick of Guitar Hero and Madden -- too much of a good thing makes the heart grow less fond. It's kind of how your best friend can really get on your nerves if you spend too much time together.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#14 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Most people actually love it, on here people "hate" it because it's popular and it makes them feel rebellious or something to hate it I guess. It is pretty silly hoenstly. It's even more funny because if you check the PS3/360 gamertag of these COD haters you can see that they play COD on a regular basis! :lol:

I personally though don't hate COD, but I am getting bored of the series. I'm not interested in MW3, I want the series to change a bit, so far it hasn't very much. But if the fans like it that way then who am I to judge?

TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

I really don't understand people who hate a game/movie/song just because it's highly successful and they don't want it to be. It's fine to not like something that other people like, but constantly preaching about how you feel it shouldn't be popular when it already is is just silly in my opinion. People like what they like.

GreySun369

Theres nothing wrong with something being popular. There is something wrong with other people copying that idea though, in hopes of emulating its popularity.

Look at Bioshock 2, Deadspace 2 and Mass Effect 3. Would they have gotten crappy, tacked on multiplayer modes if COD wasn't so popular?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts
Because it's popular. The general rule of thumb is that the more popular something is then the more vocal it's critics are. Personally I love the games and find them to be excellent. I played them all but never was much of a fan of them until CoD 4: Modern Warfare since then they've been fantastic games.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySun369"]

I really don't understand people who hate a game/movie/song just because it's highly successful and they don't want it to be. It's fine to not like something that other people like, but constantly preaching about how you feel it shouldn't be popular when it already is is just silly in my opinion. People like what they like.

TJORLY

Theres nothing wrong with something being popular. There is something wrong with other people copying that idea though, in hopes of emulating its popularity.

Look at Bioshock 2, Deadspace 2 and Mass Effect 3. Would they have gotten crappy, tacked on multiplayer modes if COD wasn't so popular?

Ummm..? It hasn't even come out yet. That says it all.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySun369"]

TJORLY

I actually enjoyed the mp in Bioshock 2 and Dead Space 2. I loved the mp in the Mass Effect 3 demo. It's takes more after Gears of War's Horde mode then it does CoD though.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Personally I've been sick to death of FPS games since the PS2 days, and there's nothing I hate more than playing an extremely popular game online as every wretched ADHD 10 year old on the entire planet is going to be there. So I'm way beyond uninterested in it, and yet the launch of every near-identical iteration of these things is treated as if it's the second coming of Christ. You go to Gamespot's main page in the weeks before its release and you'd swear the site was owned by Activision. Just one huge advertisement for the game. So that tends to get on my nerves a bit.

El3ctrosisV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 El3ctrosisV2
Member since 2012 • 180 Posts
It's a yearly franchise where each game consists of 75% recycled material from the last game. Activision are responsible. The fan base is definitely the worst in the gaming community. You buy the game new for the maximum price Kotick can sell it for then spend the amount equivalent to another game to get all the recycled DLC. They're my reasons.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

because its the cancer of gaming industry, represent everyhting thats bad right now, yearly release with the same content and nearly the same game over and over, they haven't even changed the engine since cod 2 or 4. then they don't release the map creator they used to so they can release overpriced map packs with like 2 maps for 15$, they have been releasing less and less maps with the retail game every year to release more and more map packs, and now they want people to pay for subscription for a game that is absolutely the same as the other 5 years before with absolutely no innovation.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

it's released every year and everything can actually be a dlc

they milk the series so freaking bad it's hardcore

and then to top it off almost ever game from 09-11 has been just a fps spam it was nuts

and most of the hate comes from an obnoxious immature community and little 12 year olds dropping the F-bomb every 10 seconds

resident evil orc is getting a 10 from me cause it's a damn fan service i get zombies hunters lickers and mrx hell yes

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts

I don't hate it, I just don't care. All it is a franchise being driven into the ground.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22367 Posts
I don't hate it, but I have no interest in the series at all nowadays... Why would I fork out big $$ every year for a game that is the same as the last 5 releases. No thanks.
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

Because it used to have a quality, competetive multiplayer. Now it's just a broken game with to competetive gaming capabilities. Even free to play FPS games offer superior competetive gaming.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
its the cool thing to do you look around any gaming forum and you'll find tons of hate for COD ( halo, mass effect, pretty much any big seller ) yet i have never met a single person ( in person ) whom has ever hated the game, sure they b*tch about parts of it and have complaints but i have never seen the kinda hatred that those on the internet would make you believe their is for COD
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

cod was good...it revolutionized the ww2 shooter(then brothers in arms topped it)...cod2 was great...cod4 changed fps's...then they stopped making new games...why its hated is cause cod4 was the last real cod game...the rest are just reskins of the same game...cod4 was fun...but it still had some broken elements...and instead of fixing them...the sequels exploited the problems...thats why its hated...because people who like real fps games(unreal, doom, half life, fear, arma, quake, counter strike, stalker, etc etc) dont have fun playing cod anymore

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Because like sports games, I don't buy them every single year, so I don't get sick of it. The only time I've picked them up back to back years is Black Ops and MW3, but I went back to Black Ops because I guess I like treyarch games better.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#29 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

There are so many reasons. It's popular, the game's feel really similar game to game, and the industry competition going after the CoD market and ignoring innovation or changing well established series just to appeal to them.

Personally, I don't hate it, but I'm tired of it. I really didn't like MW2 because I felt that they crammed way too much in the game and it became this chaotic mess for competitive gaming. The games still provide their fun, but it wouldn't suffer if the games were balanced or tweaked to feel fresh and new.

Btw the Resident Evil comparison isn't really good. Capcom is going all out for the RE anniversay; Revelaitons was designed for the 3DS and brought horror back to the series (it also features vast improvements over RE5), Operation Raccoon City is a squad based, multiplayer focused game that's mostly fan service, and then Resident Evil 6 will continue the series like normal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Because they turned a pretty great series into utter garbage.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Because every Call of Duty game is a re-hash of the last.

They're making so much money off of re-releasing the same game.

The game itself isn't even that fun. Shooters are so repetitive.

Adele21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Adele21
Because it sells a lot
Ryder_49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 Ryder_49
Member since 2011 • 119 Posts

I don't actually mind the games and I do enjoy playing them a bit; however I used to think they were great where as now I only think they're okay.

They've just over-stayed their welcome.

WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts

I personally think the series as a whole is a lot of fun, especially the older WW2 games. Modern Warfare was very good at the time of release but for me personally MW2 and MW3 simply are not as good. I bought MW2 but after shelling out for it didn't buy MW3 and will not be buying MW4/5/6.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

If they didn't release one every year thats exactly the same people would still like it..Maby even like it more.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#36 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

COD is essentially the Madden of FPS - just a few improvements and nothing more, just the same game we've been playing since its inception. I think reviewers are finally starting to realize that playing the same game, over and over again, can get tiring and stale fast. As for me, I hate the infinite spawning points, the horrendous multiplayer community that thinks they are so badass in it (when they are really not), and so much more.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
but people do still like it, hence its millions of copies it sells year after year :|
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts

Why do so many people despise Call of Duty?

TheManofTin

Corridor warfare. Seriously, I hate playing shooters that place two teams in the room with some coridoors. Every COD game I have played has been the same. Tiny litte maps, boring ones at that.

And then, they have the balls to charge £10 for few new maps, which are equally lame and small.

Warfare is not conducted in coridoors 99% of the time. COD would make one think otherwise.

DARKNESSxEAGLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DARKNESSxEAGLE
Member since 2010 • 489 Posts

Lot's of people only dislike it for attention as far as I've seen, although it still suffers reasonably in the sense that no one wants to pay for the same game 4 times.

El3ctrosisV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 El3ctrosisV2
Member since 2012 • 180 Posts

Lot's of people only dislike it for attention as far as I've seen, although it still suffers reasonably in the sense that no one wants to pay for the same game 4 times.

DARKNESSxEAGLE
No, lots of people dislike it because it's now just the same game year in, year out. They're not revolutionary, ground breaking or amazing in any way. And now they cost a fortune to play as it seems to be mostly subscription based. As far as I'm concerned, the first Modern Warfare signalled the end of the last great era of gaming.
metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

There are simply too many of them. Plus, like others responded, you can only innovate so much whenver you're doing the same theme over and over again. I'm glad they went to the Modern Warfare route because the WWII thing was just getting RIDICULOUS. I think the slew of Call of Duty WWII games would perhaps take you longer to beat than the actual war itself :P lol

But seriously, I have only played Modern Warfare I, and while the graphics blew me away, it simply wasn't my cup of tea. I guess you can say it was a bit TOO realistic. I like some fantasy and gridiron with my gameplay, like Killzone or Crysis 2. Plus, the reason lots of hardcore gamers hate it is because COD isn't really a hardcore gamer's game, but more of a casual gamer's game that is simply popular due to word of mouth. Somehow they were able to market it as THE game to get, when in fact there were so many better shooters out there. Since Americans love to be fed bullcrap and then go into denial as to how worth it it actually was, they simply say it's the best shooter without having any real experience with other shooters, then their friends believe them and go buy it themselves. So because little Mikey in the 7th grade is the most popular boy in school, and begged his mom for it for christmas, got it, and doesn't really like it but can't say he doesnt' like it, he says he loves it, thus getting theentire class to want to buy it. Again, word of mouth is powerful.Sort of goes hand-in-hand as to why the Xbox 360 is so much more popular to own than the Playstation 3. Word of mouth, even though the PS3 is a FARRR superior gaming and multimedia machine, Microsoft was somehow able to market themselves as more "american" (like COD, very pro-America), thus the masses follow suit, with their own parents egging it on. This is why games like COD or the Xbox itself aren't as popular overseas as they are here.

I'd take Metroid Prime over COD any day, just for the much more fantastical and ambitious gameplay over anything else. There is simply more artistry and originality with it. While I'm not denying that a WWII game like COD wouldn't be fun, I would definitely not go as far as making it such a big deal as it has been made.

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

because it's popular, plain and simple.

Adele21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Adele21
Why do people say they don't like It but later they buy it?
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Because it's the same old game with slightly improved graphics, a couple of new weapons and remodeled maps and a bad story and BAM! There you have Call of Duty.

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts
Because it smells.
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

You must be talking about the Resident Evil fanboys who refer to every person that plays the new games as a "Call of Duty fanboy"...

I've personally never played Call of Duty, but I don't think it can be hated that much if it's a widely successful series that comes out with a new game every year. I can see some people not liking it if they're not into war shooters, because there's really no video game that's right for everyone.

GreySun369
And mediocre.
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

It's an arcade shooter with a bad hitbox system that's roughly the same game with slightly touched graphics for the past eight years. It's not balanced, it has a system that gives players who are already getting kills even more kills and half the maps of each iteration comes out as DLC. Satisfied, TC?

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

It just shows how useless our conversations on gaming boards are truely are. We got a franchise that's selling a zillion copies every year to zillions of happy fans. Then you have every gaming message board on the planet 90% full of MW3 hate.

Us people (the ones who come and chat on message boards) represent next to nothing of what's really going on out there. For every one of us, there's 10,000 casual gamers who really don't take gaming seriously at all. And they're the ones getting all the support.

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

It's simply because it's popular...I know a few people who claim to hate it but have never even tried playing it...stupid

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Some dislike it cause they don't find it their taste, some just say they dislike it to create aruments while others jump on a dislike bandwagon. Usually the more popular a game is the more people dislike it, it's just the way it works.