Why do people buy sports game every year?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

I'm not bashing anyone who does buy sports game every year but I am a little confused why people do, I was watching these videos on youtube where people show off their game collections and give opinions on the games, I was watching them to hear real gamers opinions on games (from what i've seen, not many people like God of War, but that's just what i've seen), anyway, all the collections seem to have every sports games that have come out every year, Fifa 7, Fifa 8, Fifa 9, Fifa 10, Fifa 11, Fifa 12, etc, and I was wondering why people buy what is pretty much the same game every year.

gameking5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 gameking5000
Member since 2007 • 1360 Posts

A sport is always changing season after season. There are new players, new rules and sometimes even new clubs. People like to feel that they are 'up to date'.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

same reason people play cod /thread

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

I would gladly pay $10-$20 for updated rosters, but sadly EA won't do that. So, I'm stuck buying each new iteration of Madden just so I can play with the new stars of the NFL. Just bring back NFL2k, and not that horrid All Pro 2K mess, the original 2K devs(Visual Concepts), then we'll see EA step their game up. They'll have to due to the stiff competition from 2K.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Another thing is the online servers for sports games usually shut down extremely quickly. I think EA shut the servers for Madden '11 down within the month that Madden '12 came out.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

Another thing is the online servers for sports games usually shut down extremely quickly. I think EA shut the servers for Madden '11 down within the month that Madden '12 came out.

Vari3ty
Oh yeah? That sucks. Almost forcing you to buy 12. Thast what sucks about buying Battlefield1943 on Xbox live. It's online only, so once they shut those servers down I will have a useless game. lol
RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RageQuitter69

Vari3ty
Uggh, so that's EA's marketing scheme for sports games, and I thought Activi$ion was greedy.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

(from what i've seen, not many people like God of War, but that's just what i've seen)

RageQuitter69

Why do they dislike it? It's a pretty solid series to me. The 1st 3 anyway.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RageQuitter69

[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"]

(from what i've seen, not many people like God of War, but that's just what i've seen)

HipHopBeats

Why do they dislike it? It's a pretty solid series to me. The 1st 3 anyway.

I dunno, just in nearly every game collection video I have seen, people say they dislike it.
TF626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TF626
Member since 2010 • 593 Posts
I've been reversing that trend too much money. Don't think I'll be buying Madden NFL this year and NCAA.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

I buy FIFA for roster/team updates and improvements. FIFA 12 is so much different to FIFA 11, but not the new additions could do with improving so there is even more incentive to get FIFA 13.

Avatar image for callsignneptune
callsignneptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 callsignneptune
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts
I love the FIFA, Madden, NHL and NBA2K series and buy them every year. I buy them for the updated rosters, enhanced gameplay mechanics and simply because I really enjoy them. Why is okay to buy the new Assassin's Creed game, for example, every year, with (in relation to Brotherhood and Revelations) its not particularly differing gameplay, story and setting but not to do the same for a sports game? Just because it's a sports game, doesn't mean it's a bad game or any less valid than another game. If you enjoy a series, you're going to buy every new release, it's the same with sports games. Also this idea of hearing 'real gamers opinions' and brushing them off as not being that because they don't play God of War but play Fifa? Gaming snobbery at its finest. People play the games they enjoy, if they put in 200 hours into Fifa or CoD, they're still gamers, they know that game inside and out. I have plenty of sports games in my collection and play CoD regularly yet I also play stuff like Deathsmiles, DeBlob, Mass Effect, Xenoblade Chronicles and Radiant Historia. Would you dismiss me as 'not a real gamer' because of my liking for sports games and CoD? I don't think so.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

A sport is always changing season after season. There are new players, new rules and sometimes even new clubs. People like to feel that they are 'up to date'.

gameking5000
Not to mention that when the genre is done right, the games get closer and closer to a perfect simulation of the sport in question every year.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="gameking5000"]

DarkCatalyst

Not to mention that when the genre is done right, the games get closer and closer to a perfect simulation of the sport in question every year.

That's a fine and admirable goal, I admit; to pursue the real thing through videogame entertainment. But it still doesn't change the fact that it's still the same game that we play every year. It has a few improvements, here and there, they update the roster, put in a mode or two, but otherwise, it's the same as it was before.

callsignneptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 callsignneptune

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"][QUOTE="gameking5000"]

Metamania

That's a fine and admirable goal, I admit; to pursue the real thing through videogame entertainment. But it still doesn't change the fact that it's still the same game that we play every year. It has a few improvements, here and there, they update the roster, put in a mode or two, but otherwise, it's the same as it was before.

Isn't that the same with Halo, Gears of War, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Killzone, Mario and Zelda to name but a few? All of those games rely on the same settings, atmosphere,story and game play mechanics. Why are they exempt?
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"][QUOTE="gameking5000"]

Metamania

Only if you aren't really into the sport. The differences year by year actually are very noticable to anyone who actually understands what they're playing.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"] Not to mention that when the genre is done right, the games get closer and closer to a perfect simulation of the sport in question every year.callsignneptune

Isn't that the same with Halo, Gears of War, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Killzone, Mario and Zelda to name but a few? All of those games rely on the same settings, atmosphere,story and game play mechanics. Why are they exempt?

Some of those, I can understand, for sure; they rely on the basic premise to keep them going. But I hear that Super Mario Galaxy 2, which received NOTHING but positive reviews, outshines its predecessor by not only sticking to the same formula, but improving it in every area. How can we explain that for certain games like that?

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RageQuitter69

Those games (with the possible exception of some Mario games) add new stories and levels and different atmospheres, as for sports game take place on the same setting every time, that's fine because the developers can't reinvent the sport, i'm just confused why people buy the game game every year.

callsignneptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 callsignneptune

Those games (with the possible exception of some Mario games) add new stories and levels and different atmospheres, as for sports game take place on the same setting every time, that's fine because the developers can't reinvent the sport, i'm just confused why people buy the game game every year.

RageQuitter69
Couldn't that same logic be applied then to games like Forza and Gran Turismo? Same real world tracks, same cars, yet everyone buys the new game in the series. Why do sports games have to be any different? Like someone else said, if you know the sport, then you'll notice differences that someone else who hasn't played the other games in the series wouldn't see. Just because you can't see the improvements or vast differences, doesn't mean they aren't there. I'm sure there are major inprovements between Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, yet because I don't play the games and I don't enjoy them, if you put City in front of me I couldn't tell its differences in gameplay and mechanics from Asylum, that doesn't mean they don't exist for someone who has watched the series progress and improve.
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Because idiots have money.

Temporarily.

callsignneptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 callsignneptune

Because idiots have money.

Temporarily.

Am_Confucius
Bit rude don't you think considering this thread is full of people who buy them every year? Jog on mate.
Fantasy721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Fantasy721
Member since 2005 • 151 Posts

I don't have a problem with sports games or with anyone who plays them, but aren't some editions better than others? I mean, why buy the next release if it's not as good as the previous one?

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I continually get the new Madden games because of the online community going to the newest and having the most up to date roster which is updated throughout the season.

However, it would be nice if they'd just release the new roster via the PSN and Xbox Marketplace and then the next year release a game that has substantial new features and what not. Though, they may be working on that behind the scenes right now.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
The same reason people watch the same exact sports every single year/season. They enjoy it.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

almasdeathchild

That was a brilliant answer.

On topic: They need to update rosters and improve the game a little bit.

callsignneptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 callsignneptune

I don't have a problem with sports games or with anyone who plays them, but aren't some editions better than others? I mean, why buy the next release if it's not as good as the previous one?

Fantasy721
99% of the time they are better. That's why they are bought. If it's rubbish, people WILL stick with an older or different version of the game. It's the same as any other game, if people hear that the new one is terrible they generally won't buy it, at least until they find it cheap enough used or a year down the line but if they hear it is good then they'll go and get it. No different to any other game in that respect.
RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RageQuitter69

almasdeathchild
LOL
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts
I can speak from first hand experience that it's not just the roster update. I mostly stick to college football when I buy football and rosters don't really matter here. The games change from year to year. Sometimes it's something drastic like the addition of the single player heisman mode or in Madden's case the "hit" stick. Most of the time though it's just for the subtle tweaks in the core game mechanics or presentation. Recently EA has been trying to use it's ESPN license more and it's starting to add to the overall feel of the game. This is also true to the NBA 2K series as 2K12 is the best one yet...
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
I know a lot of people that that one sports game is one of say...2 or 3 games that they purchase all year long. I usually purchase 1 of each of the sports games each gen, like say a year behind to get them super discounted, but I can still experience the given sports (soccer, american football, hockey, baseball, and sometimes basketball).
CADMAN_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#31 CADMAN_3
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts

I have every Madden and NCAA game from 2000 to 2013, just like i have all the God of War, Gears of War, Forza, SSX, Assassin's Creed. Call of Duty, Battlefield. New things in each one, new sotry lines in the others. I guess you can say it's my drug.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"] Not to mention that when the genre is done right, the games get closer and closer to a perfect simulation of the sport in question every year.DarkCatalyst

Only if you aren't really into the sport. The differences year by year actually are very noticable to anyone who actually understands what they're playing.

Fair enough. I'm not a sports guy, so I admittedly am not the first person anyone should go to in anything or everything sports. My knowledge is very limited in it. Still, on the surface, it's the same game and I think that goes for any other genre too; no matter the characters, makeup, etc, at its core, it's still an idea ripped from another.

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
I'm not really into most sports games, I'll do this with the WWE games though, the reason why is mostly just variations in the roster.
KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
because they like sports. Simple
Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#35 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts

It depends on franchise -- some provide major improvements or control innovations year in, year out (FIFA Soccer has recently been on a hot streak, with 12 being a major step up from 11-10, which was a step up from 9, which was a step up from 8, etc.).

Madden also had some good iterations recently -- 11, for instance, really tried to improve a lot of elements from 10. However, 12 was almost exactly the same as 11, so I regret buying that. Unless I see major improvements in 12, I think I'll be declining that series this year.

godfather_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 godfather_1
Member since 2005 • 562 Posts
Well people want to move with the community to the new sports game especially with gamers who play online on a consistent bases.