Why do I suck at FPS games?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GirlGamerDax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 GirlGamerDax
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
So I have been playing FPS games for a few years. I've been a PC gamer for 1,5 years before that I used to play on PS3 for 3 years. I had MW2, BO2 and Bad Company 2 for my PS3. Because of my new PC I bought BO2 and BF3. But my problem is: why do I suck at FPS games? I was not as "bad" in MW2 on my PS3 than BO2 on my PC. Is it because I play on keyboard and mouse? Is it because Black Ops 2 and Modern Warfare 2 are two completely different games? I was really good at Bad Company 2 though but I suck at Battlefield 3. In Black Ops 2 I always land on the bottom of the player list. My k/d ratio is mostly around the 0.70. Something that I also have to tell: I got a non-verbal learning disorder. This means that I can't coordinate well through maps. I can't read maps and I can't really think logically with this kind of stuff. ^ Is it because of my disorder, my keyboard and mouse or that I just lack the skill? If so would you please give me some tips (I already looked up on Google for tips, none seems to work)
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4223 Posts

I also play other genres than FPS (the main reason because I suck at them). I am quite good at 3rd person shooters online and multiplayer. GirlGamerDax
Don't worry too much about it. We all are different types of gamers. I used to get stuck at FPS too. It is all about skill development to reach where you want to be. TBH I get stuck at FPS games from time to time.

metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

These are not my own "type" of FPS games, I'm more into shooters like Rage and Killzone. But sometimes it's not always your fault, the in-game controls and aiming sensitivity is sometimes a real annoyance. Whenever I play Killzone 3 online multiplayer I get the sense that lots of guys are using the same tactics I am, and I'm no expert at that game. So don't beat yourself up too much

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i'm quite good at fps because thats all i play.

GirlGamerDax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GirlGamerDax
I also play other genres than FPS (the main reason because I suck at them). I am quite good at 3rd person shooters online and multiplayer.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Not true. I've seen a lot of female gamers who are a lot better than the average guy gamer. Please don't be a sexist. GirlGamerDax
So have I. I've also seen rain in the desert though

And it's not sexism, it's just statistics

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#8 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Welcome to my world. I avoid shooters like the plague.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Black_Knight_00

More guys are interested in games and they spend more time with it than girls. Girls often play videogames just for fun and not for a real hobby but these kind of girls are seen as gamers in those statistics of yours. GirlGamerDax
More guys are interested in games and they spend more time with it than girls, hence they are better at games. What are we disagreeing on, again?

EDIT: I read the opening post better, I hadn't seen the learning disorder part. This is actually pretty interesting. If I understand correctly you have trouble memorizing the layout of maps, is that correct? Does that mean the map remains unfamiliar to you no matter how long you play it?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#10 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i am a good team player in FPS games, but i suck at going solo. That's why i usually always top 5 on BF3, but i suck at K/D ratio
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
practice practice practice
GirlGamerDax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GirlGamerDax
That's what I also do in Battlefield 3. I get many points in Battlefield 3, but barely kills and lots of deaths (sometimes barely kills and barely deaths).
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Black_Knight_00

Your learning disorder could have something to do with it. But, I would suggest practicing, like the other posters have suggested. Maybe try sticking with one game on either PC or Console (whichever one you feel more comfortable with).

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] More guys are interested in games and they spend more time with it than girls, hence they are better at games. What are we disagreeing on, again?

EDIT: I read the opening post better, I hadn't seen the learning disorder part. This is actually pretty interesting. If I understand correctly you have trouble memorizing the layout of maps, is that correct? Does that mean the map remains unfamiliar to you no matter how long you play it?

Lucky_Krystal

You purposely say something about TC's gender just to set her off and spark an argument, then you admit to not having read and understood the initial message?

You just made yourself look really smart :lol:

Understanding has nothing to do with it, I didn't read it altogether. I often read just the first few lines in threads I'm not particularly interested in. Scrolling up I later saw the word "disorder" which caught my attention.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Black_Knight_00
The answer is in the username
GirlGamerDax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GirlGamerDax
Not true. I've seen a lot of female gamers who are a lot better than the average guy gamer. Please don't be a sexist.
GirlGamerDax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GirlGamerDax
More guys are interested in games and they spend more time with it than girls. Girls often play videogames just for fun and not for a real hobby but these kind of girls are seen as gamers in those statistics of yours.
Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
Ive been playing FPS for years, so I wouldnt say I suck. However, my wife didnt start playing until MW3. She was horrible. Most of the time when Id be playing, I'd shoot someone and she wouldnt have even seen them. I guess its just because Ive been playing them for 10+ years, while she's been playing for 2. Maybe?
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#18 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Your learning disorder could have something to do with it. But, I would suggest practicing, like the other posters have suggested. Maybe try sticking with one game on either PC or Console (whichever one you feel more comfortable with).

More guys are interested in games and they spend more time with it than girls, hence they are better at games. What are we disagreeing on, again?

Black_Knight_00

You purposely say something about TC's gender just to set her off and spark an argument, then you admit to not having read and understood the initial message?

You just made yourself look really smart :lol:

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#19 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

So I have been playing FPS games for a few years. I've been a PC gamer for 1,5 years before that I used to play on PS3 for 3 years. I had MW2, BO2 and Bad Company 2 for my PS3. Because of my new PC I bought BO2 and BF3. But my problem is: why do I suck at FPS games? I was not as "bad" in MW2 on my PS3 than BO2 on my PC. Is it because I play on keyboard and mouse? Is it because Black Ops 2 and Modern Warfare 2 are two completely different games? I was really good at Bad Company 2 though but I suck at Battlefield 3. In Black Ops 2 I always land on the bottom of the player list. My k/d ratio is mostly around the 0.70. Something that I also have to tell: I got a non-verbal learning disorder. This means that I can't coordinate well through maps. I can't read maps and I can't really think logically with this kind of stuff. ^ Is it because of my disorder, my keyboard and mouse or that I just lack the skill? If so would you please give me some tips (I already looked up on Google for tips, none seems to work)GirlGamerDax

Firstly, don't worry about it.  If you become frustrated over it, then it may exacerbate the problem.  If you just play for fun, then don't even worry about kill/death ratios.  Sure, it's nice to have a decent ratio, but unless you plan to become very competitive, it's not a big deal.  :)

Now, switching from a gamepad to a mouse and keyboard can affect any kind of skill you built up as you adjust to the controls.  The other thing that should be remembered is that most console games have built in aim assist - even with games that offer the option to switch if off, there is still a partial aim assist, due to the mechanics of a controller.  When you move onto using a mouse and keyboard, the aim assist is no longer there to help you, so you have to be more responsive, and more accurate with your aim.  You just need to practice to refine your skill.

When it comes to your difficulty reading/memorising maps, I would say this is also holding you back slightly, though to what extent it is hard to judge.  Learning the layout of a map, and knowing where all of the good cover and 'choke' points are, can be critical in online multiplayer games.  Someone who has played the same maps regularly for a year is probably going to do much better against someone who only occasionally plays, because they will know where they should be going and what they should be doing to get the best advantage over their opponents.  Again, this comes with practice.

One way to learn maps and better play styles is to spectate the 'good' players.  See where they go, what they do, how they react to certain situations.  I did this before I played Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, an objective-based multiplayer game released some years ago.  By spectating other players, the different classes, the maps, I was able to gain a much better understanding of how best to play.

So just take your time, but most of all, have fun.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts
Be patient, play the singleplayer campaigns before you start with multiplayer to get more acquainted with the controls.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#21 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
That's what I also do in Battlefield 3. I get many points in Battlefield 3, but barely kills and lots of deaths (sometimes barely kills and barely deaths). GirlGamerDax
also happens to me all the time. People just like to play lone wolf mode most of the time and not work together to get objectives
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts
Well, considering it doesn't sound like you've been at this a long time you're definitely going to need to put more time into things before you improve, games like Battlefield though are best played with a reliable squad of your close friends, as each person can provide necessary support, medic, recon, ammo, anti-armor. It isn't really the kind of game for doing things by yourself. A squad that can revive downed teammates, spawn downed teammates closer to their objective, provide ammo to anti-armor crews, take out tanks to not let them dominate the battlefield, and allow recon to setup spawn beacons closer to the front line, that can all change the way a battle plays out. In Battlefield games I never felt the K/D ratio was a good indicator of someone involvement in the battle. Medics can for instance, while not killing a lot of enemies, can keep their own players alive and not wasting points for spawning, you get about the same amount of points for a revive as for a kill, points for throwing down medkits for wounded teammates, point bonuses for focusing on your squadmates. Recon can get points for placing well placed recon beacons and spawn points, you get points for every squadmate that spawn on your point and points for every kill you get for an enemy your beacon spots out. There's tons of ways to get points for any role you take that can contribute more than just your K/D ratio. Points are important since they'll quickly help you unlock new guns for your roles which might end up helping you with your K/D ratio in the end. But also keep in mind some people just play these games A LOT. Like hours every day. If you're gonna want to compete with these people, you're gonna have to put in the time. You'll naturally get better as a result. Keep in mind though people have probably been into competitive FPS gaming for years and years, there's gonna be people a lot more seasoned than you.
GirlGamerDax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GirlGamerDax
Yes I have trouble memorizing the maps. I can memorize the visual parts of the map but not the roads and what the fastest way is etc,.....
GirlGamerDax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GirlGamerDax
I don't really mind it that I suck I still have fun but the main reason why I want to get better is because I got a YouTube channel. I want to get nice gameplays to upload them. But yeah practice practice practice,.....
GirlGamerDax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GirlGamerDax
"One way to learn maps and better play styles is to spectate the 'good' players. See where they go, what they do, how they react to certain situations. I did this before I played Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, an objective-based multiplayer game released some years ago. By spectating other players, the different classes, the maps, I was able to gain a much better understanding of how best to play." This is actually a great plan! :D
GirlGamerDax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GirlGamerDax
A few months ago at the release of Black Ops 2 I played the singleplayer on the hardest settings. Have to get back to it.
Busy_Man123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Busy_Man123
Member since 2008 • 1430 Posts

Map knowledge is extremely important for online FPSes. I don't mean to sound mean, but I don't know if this genre is really for you. Maybe you should try to play something more akin to L4D or Killing Floor due to the high coop reputation they have. Not only just in multiplayer-driven FPSes/shooters that forces you to learn the maps  to do well, but games with lives and continues have always forced players to learn the levels before they could beat them. Look at Battletoads.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Black_Knight_00
Yes I have trouble memorizing the maps. I can memorize the visual parts of the map but not the roads and what the fastest way is etc,.....GirlGamerDax
I see. So, if asked asked you to describe the Karachi map from MW2 you would manage, but If I asked you to trace your steps from the bus near the cafe to the chicken market on the same map you would find it difficult. Is that correct?
GirlGamerDax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GirlGamerDax
Exactly! ;)
Darkeroid2212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Darkeroid2212
Member since 2012 • 293 Posts

I suck at BO2, but I was awesome at Dust 514 and CS:GO.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Black_Knight_00
Exactly! ;)GirlGamerDax
Interesting
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#32 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

You either do or you don't, can't really improve skill except for practice.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
Don't fret about it, not everyone is going to be good at them or at particular games in general. Find a genre of game you are good at. I'm disabled as well - very poor hand eye coordination and a learning disability, it takes me considerable effort to force my hands to work with me so that I can type, play video games, cook, pick things up, even turn the pages of a book and always leaves me in constant pain. I keep trying though because I need to keep busy. I'm surprisingly very good at FPS games, but I don't play them all that much, they're too boring and always the same old tired thing far too often. I'm useless at fighting games and racing games, although I try my best with racing games and slowly improve over time, although not to non-disabled standards. The best thing to do though is to find what kind of games you are very good at and which aren't too much of a problem due to your disability. Genres like strategy and RPG might be what you're good at, turn based strategy in particular is great if you're disabled because you can take your time and play at your own pace.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

In terms of Battlefield skill important things to remember are:

1. Use the environment to your advantage (hiding, and using cover and so forth.  dont just run out in the open)
  2. No when to hold em and when to fold em (don't be a hero that is destined to fail)
  3. Talk to your squad mates constantly (where enemies are, if you are down, and so on), given that they are friends you are chatting with easily.
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
You never mentioned what mouse you have.. get something with decent dpi, budget computer mice don't allow you to be quick and precise
GirlGamerDax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GirlGamerDax
I got a Logitech G9x gaming laser mouse with a Roccat Taito gaming mousepad ;).
GirlGamerDax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GirlGamerDax
I got one problem: I hate RPG and strategy games :(.
Darkeroid2212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Darkeroid2212
Member since 2012 • 293 Posts

The modern FPS games are not all that strategy. I have played COD and other than the Strike Force missions, I see no use of strategy. Infact thefirst time I played COD:BOPS2 infront of my friends they laughed at me because I wanted to be tactical.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#39 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Practice and you will be good.
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
my average k/d ratio on battlefield is 2.3, that is with budget mouse (it doesnt even have a brand lol) I need to buy a razer or something
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
[QUOTE="GirlGamerDax"]So I have been playing FPS games for a few years. I've been a PC gamer for 1,5 years before that I used to play on PS3 for 3 years. I had MW2, BO2 and Bad Company 2 for my PS3. Because of my new PC I bought BO2 and BF3. But my problem is: why do I suck at FPS games? I was not as "bad" in MW2 on my PS3 than BO2 on my PC. Is it because I play on keyboard and mouse? Is it because Black Ops 2 and Modern Warfare 2 are two completely different games? I was really good at Bad Company 2 though but I suck at Battlefield 3. In Black Ops 2 I always land on the bottom of the player list. My k/d ratio is mostly around the 0.70. Something that I also have to tell: I got a non-verbal learning disorder. This means that I can't coordinate well through maps. I can't read maps and I can't really think logically with this kind of stuff. ^ Is it because of my disorder, my keyboard and mouse or that I just lack the skill? If so would you please give me some tips (I already looked up on Google for tips, none seems to work)

its because black ops 2 sucks. all the guns are balanced (meaning they are all crap) if you rush, slowdown your rushing, if you camp (or play defensively, its practically the same thing) pick 1 part of the map and survery all the corners/halls. learn to play faster....and aim for the chest. oooh find out all the headglitch spots and take advantage of them
flame012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 flame012
Try doing some research, Red Orchestra 2 is a great game that people work together in.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts
The shift in controls won't help, especially when PC shooters tend not to have aim-assist. But more importantly, experienced PC gamers with a mouse and keyboard will be *much* faster and more accurate than the competition you'd see online on the consoles. So even if you mastered the controls straight away, you'll need a lot of practice to get your reaction times up to speed.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#44 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Welcome to my world. I avoid shooters like the plague.Allicrombie

it cant be that bad can it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
You're a GIRL!! Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!!

I kid, I kid. :P Seriously though, I suck at FPSes too, even using the mouse and keyboard. With analogs I'm hopeless unless there some sort of "hardlock" aiming assist when I get the cursor in proximity. I don't play MP because I can't even gun someone down who's running straight at me from twenty feet away and then ends up knifing me only to scream at how much I suck while they run away laughing. Good times. I'll stick with half-brain dead A.I so I can stand half-a-chance.