Why do Aussie gamers keep getting ripped off?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kaldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kaldo
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Just read today's article at http://www.penny-arcade.com/ only to find them highlighting how Canadians are paying an extra $10 for already expensive games.. so games that cost US $50 or $60 are $60/$70 for them..

Today, the Australian dollar has just hit 90c US. So on average, US games should cost 10% more.. right?

But instead of costing us $60 or $70 per game, we're paying $100-$119 - especially at game traders like EB Games.

What the ****? What am I missing here? Shipping costs? Bulls***. If they were shipping games _individually_, i'd grant them a $5-$10 leeway. But bulk amounts of games? How the hell can that add up to double the cost??

I'm sick of it to be honest. We never hear mention of it, because while it's cheaper for outlets to purchase the games, their profit margins are sky high thanks to the dollar value - so why the hell should they give back to the consumer, in their eyes?

I've already given up getting games locally, and now get all my PAL games imported from Hong Kong or Singapore - costing roughly $70 per game (including postage). And this isn't for old games either - recent releases Bioshock/Halo 3/Overlord etc have all cost me roughly that much. I just hope others take the initiative and help drive down these ridiculously unfounded prices!

-Kaldo