Why can't I play video games anymore?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JoeDawg2100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 JoeDawg2100
Member since 2010 • 64 Posts

I used to be a video game FREAK!!! I used to play Xbox 360 almost everyday. But lately, I haven't been able to play. The last time I played a video game was 5 days ago. Before that, I would start playing a game, then after 10 or 15 minutes I get bored. I just don't have any interest in playing at all anymore. What is wrong with me?

jadaski1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 jadaski1
Member since 2010 • 110 Posts

Asking an anonymous forum to psychoanalyze your inability to play games is probably a bad idea. Considering you provided almost no supporting information from which to create even a decent guess as to why you're losing interest in games, I'm not sure if this is a legitimate question or just an attempt to provoke random responses.

JoeDawg2100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JoeDawg2100

Asking an anonymous forum to psychoanalyze your inability to play games is probably a bad idea. Considering you provided almost no supporting information from which to create even a decent guess as to why you're losing interest in games, I'm not sure if this is a legitimate question or just an attempt to provoke random responses.

jadaski1

No...I'm pretty serious about this. It's been going on for the last 4 months. And I just want some advice from other gamers. I just thought maybe it's a phase or something....I don't know. I wasn't asking advice from douche bags and I wasn't looking for random responses.

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

I have been the same,It's just the lack of decent games at the minute,The usual summer games 'drought'

jadaski1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jadaski1

[QUOTE="jadaski1"]

JoeDawg2100

No...I'm pretty serious about this. It's been going on for the last 4 months. And I just want some advice from other gamers. I just thought maybe it's a phase or something....I don't know. I wasn't asking advice from douche bags and I wasn't looking for random responses.

What game genre's do you normally play and have they been properly represented in recent releases? What games have you been playing lately? How old are you, and do you feel that you're growing out of your gaming phase?

By the way, my initial post was an attempt to obtain more information while hedging my bets against a possible insincere question.

(Edit: and why does Gamespot randomly eat my blankspaces...)

JoeDawg2100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JoeDawg2100

[QUOTE="JoeDawg2100"]

[QUOTE="jadaski1"]

jadaski1

What game genre's do you normally play and have they been properly represented in recent releases? What games have you been playing lately? How old are you, and do you feel that you're growing out of your gaming phase?

By the way, my initial post was an attempt to obtain more information while hedging my bets against a possible insincere question.

Sorry I took your first post the wrong way. I just don't understand why this is happening. But usually I play FPS like Call of Duty Black Ops, Medal of Honor, etc. And Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Assasain's Creed: Brotherhood, Gears of War, Dirt 2. And I play sports games like Madden 2011, NCAA Football 2011, MLB 2K11, and NBA 2K11. I'm a 25-year-old college student, but I don't know if I'm growing out of them or not. It's like I want to play, but I don't. It's hard to describe.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Take a break for a while. Eventually your interest may return. If not, then you'll have some good memories. Any hobby can get stale - circumstances change and likely you'll find something to bring you back.
imetamonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 imetamonster
Member since 2008 • 793 Posts

Yeah this happens with me alot more now.

I used to be able to play games and just never get bored with them. Could stay up all night and have a great time.

Now i can get bored of them prettyquickly sometimes. (Though i still can play for long periodsstill and have fun)

It may be the lack of good games for the past few years. Honestly can say that i have played no gamesin the past few years that can even come close to my all-time favorite games.

Sad :(

JonathanL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#9 JonathanL
Member since 2002 • 22123 Posts

If participating in one activity endlessly was fun for us, it would be a sad state indeed.

Do something else.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

You probably have ADD. Drink some energy drinks that will slow your brain down and allow you to concentrate.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
You probably feel like going on the computer more. If that's your problem, then you're the same as me.
imetamonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 imetamonster
Member since 2008 • 793 Posts

You probably have ADD. Drink some energy drinks that will slow your brain down and allow you to concentrate.

slipknot0129

Slipknot0129 makes a good point. I would think alot of people with ADD and ADHD have a harder time staying interested in games. Not saying you have ADD or ADHD though.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Same boat here. If I play games, it's with friends. Otherwise, I'm wanting to watch TV or screw around on the computer. And I have a huge backlog of new games from summers and winters ago.

JoeDawg2100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JoeDawg2100

You probably feel like going on the computer more. If that's your problem, then you're the same as me.NiKva

That's exactly what I do now. I just mess around on the computer a lot now instead of playing video games! Sometimes I try to get off the computer to play Xbox, but it doesn't work. I just end up going back to the computer.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
Just search for games and find something that gets you interested. How about asking for recommendations on your favorite genres in video games? The E3 2011 coverage has a lot of previews, video, images,etc. on new games too. If it doesn't work do something else that is one of your hobbies unless gaming is your only hobby in which case, you should find something that makes you enjoy. There's movies, TV shows, animes, musical instruments, literature, etc.
ehhwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ehhwhatever
Member since 2010 • 1463 Posts
Get a handheld. I take my DSi with me everywhere just for comfort.
jadaski1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jadaski1

[QUOTE="NiKva"]You probably feel like going on the computer more. If that's your problem, then you're the same as me.JoeDawg2100

That's exactly what I do now. I just mess around on the computer a lot now instead of playing video games! Sometimes I try to get off the computer to play Xbox, but it doesn't work. I just end up going back to the computer.

This sounds like my attitude, although my problem stems from an obsession with platinum'ing every game I play. Starting new games can be difficult knowing that I'll force myself to devote the time to obtaining every trophy, and it is especially difficult after having completed a tough game or series of games. Until I get motivated to play the next game, I tend to mess around like you.

You probably just need a break and that one good game that'll draw you back in.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

[QUOTE="jadaski1"]

[QUOTE="JoeDawg2100"]

JoeDawg2100

Sorry I took your first post the wrong way. I just don't understand why this is happening. But usually I play FPS like Call of Duty Black Ops, Medal of Honor, etc. And Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Assasain's Creed: Brotherhood, Gears of War, Dirt 2. And I play sports games like Madden 2011, NCAA Football 2011, MLB 2K11, and NBA 2K11. I'm a 25-year-old college student, but I don't know if I'm growing out of them or not. It's like I want to play, but I don't. It's hard to describe.

In that case, try a different genre of games that you don't normally play. Something random, that got good reviews. You might be surprised with how much you like it. Maybe some platformers or RPG.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Your not alone. I want to play games, but I don't have the urge to. I don't know if that makes sense..:P but yea i feel you dude.

Try forcing yourself to not play for a week. I did that and i couldn't wait to start playing again.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I used to be a video game FREAK!!! I used to play Xbox 360 almost everyday. But lately, I haven't been able to play. The last time I played a video game was 5 days ago. Before that, I would start playing a game, then after 10 or 15 minutes I get bored. I just don't have any interest in playing at all anymore. What is wrong with me?

JoeDawg2100

Sounds like you're getting out of that phase and going into something new, like going onto your computer. Happens all the time. People change. You're changing too.

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

Take a break for awhile, and to find a new hobby. If that dosen't work then rent or borrow L.A. Noire. Its something completely different and its the most refreshing game I have played in a long time.

JoeDawg2100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JoeDawg2100

Your not alone. I want to play games, but I don't have the urge to. I don't know if that makes sense..:P but yea i feel you dude.

Try forcing yourself to not play for a week. I did that and i couldn't wait to start playing again.

martinX3X

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that. Thanks!

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Relax about it. We've all gone through gaming slumps, and the best thing to do is just relax. What I often do is pop in a game that I absolutely love, regardless of what other new games I have. Often getting into an old favorite will spark interest in the rest of your gaming life.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Maybe you burned out. Read books, watch good movies, go out for a walk. Do anything except gaming for a couple months. After that, going back to gaming will be refreshing. I haven't touched games from 2003 to 2006 and boy was it awesome to finally go back!
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Same thing happened to me, or at least sort of. I went out and bought a ps3, and I love it. The library is more varied. The 360 is filled with sequels, which may very well be good games, but it is still the same thing over and over. Gears, Forza, etc. Well made, but everything still feels redundant.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Maybe you have so many responsibilities, the stress gets to you and you just don't feel like playing games sometimes. That's how I feel from time to time. But my passion for games (not just when I'm playing them) has never been stronger. I love video games and anything about them like video game news, etc. Personally, I like to play games day one when it comes out so the hype is still there. I find that I lose interest in games fast when it I grabbed it in the bargain bin after it has been released for months. That's just me though. Or simply, that particular game just doesn't interest you or excite you enough. I also find that games with intriguing universes keep me interested or attached to a certain series or franchises for much longer, if not forever.

It's also worth mentioning, I didn't play any video games throughout high school (4 years straight). Nor did I play video games in my first 2 years of college. While many young people at that age play video games, I wasn't. But I was a huge gamer before that, since I was 7 years old. During college, I started playing World of Warcraft for a year, and then I quit. I started to really get into other PC games and I never looked back. I also game on the consoles, mainly Xbox 360, and PS3 for exclusives. I try to switch it up, but I really enjoy my PC gaming most and I spend about 95% on the PC, gaming.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

I have been the same,It's just the lack of decent games at the minute,The usual summer games 'drought'

CUDGEdave

this

Link334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 Link334
Member since 2007 • 6082 Posts
Just nothing interesting is out now would be my guess.
xdeathpandax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 xdeathpandax
Member since 2010 • 170 Posts

I like how you say "what is wrong with me?" xD Everybody goes through phases like that, sometimes I can really get into a game and play it for many consecutive games until it's complete then other times I can go around 2 weeks without playing a good game and watch films/tv shows instead. Gaming is just a form of entertainment so once you find a game that is worth your time, you will play again :P

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

1. Only buy games you are %100 psyched about and will play immediately. Don't buy only because of sales or discounts, then you have a big backlog of stuff you don't really feel like playing.

2. There are alot of good, high quality games out there, but that does not mean you are in the mood to play them all. Is UC2 a good game? Yes. Do I feel like playing it right now? No. That's why I don't own it. When (if) I get in the mood to play it, I will buy it and play it the same day it arrives.

3. Keep your game collection small, tight. Only own stuff that you loved, were emotionally meaningful, and/or will replay over and over. For everything else, use a rental service like Gamefly. Anything else, sell immediately.

4. Don't rush. Take your time and play the hell out of your favorites.

5. Avoid the hype bandwagon. There are 20-30 games coming out over the year, that ppl will pre-order, etc. Quite frankly I had more fun with older/unknown games than with big blockbuster releases.

6. Think back to the last game that you absolutely loved. Go play it. Buy all the DLC's. Platinum it.

7. If all else fails, don't even try to play. Take a week off and pursue your other interests. The sweetness in life is not forced. If I don't feel like playing, I don't play, period.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#32 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Maybe you've just lost interest in games, and there's nothing wrong with that.

JoeDawg2100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JoeDawg2100

1. Only buy games you are %100 psyched about and will play immediately. Don't buy only because of sales or discounts, then you have a big backlog of stuff you don't really feel like playing.

2. There are alot of good, high quality games out there, but that does not mean you are in the mood to play them all. Is UC2 a good game? Yes. Do I feel like playing it right now? No. That's why I don't own it. When (if) I get in the mood to play it, I will buy it and play it the same day it arrives.

3. Keep your game collection small, tight. Only own stuff that you loved, were emotionally meaningful, and/or will replay over and over. For everything else, use a rental service like Gamefly. Anything else, sell immediately.

4. Don't rush. Take your time and play the hell out of your favorites.

5. Avoid the hype bandwagon. There are 20-30 games coming out over the year, that ppl will pre-order, etc. Quite frankly I had more fun with older/unknown games than with big blockbuster releases.

6. Think back to the last game that you absolutely loved. Go play it. Buy all the DLC's. Platinum it.

7. If all else fails, don't even try to play. Take a week off and pursue your other interests. The sweetness in life is not forced. If I don't feel like playing, I don't play, period.

ZombieKiller7

Great advice....thanks!

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

It's hard to say exactly, but I know personally I go through transitory phases. I'll be really into gaming for 4 or 5-months and then suddenly my interests will shift to something like music or movies. Give it time, maybe you just need to take a break from video games for a while. As they say, too much of a good thing can be bad.

darkhero1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 darkhero1989
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I can completely understand you, I am going through one of those periods myself aswell. Used to lock myself up in my room playing videogames day 'n night till my eyes were all puffy and swollen. And right now even when I am all exited about a game, exited enough to think about it while working or on my way home from work, I usually turn the console off after a couple of minutes just because I lost interest in it while playing... I just prefer going out with friends over playing video games now. Havent played a game in weeks now that I think of it. But I know that in a few weeks/months this will turn again where my time is evenly divided or where video games take the upper hand again. And people please... dont go around calling it ADHD or having concentration issues... These days when a person cant sit still or focus on something your automatically diagnosed ADHD... If I would believe all the symptoms and made up mental syndromes (those that cannot be chemically proven. And im not talking about a change in your dopamine receptors...) then I would have CFS in the morning, ADHD during the day and a depression after a evening of going out with my friends... Its called an emotional state not a decease or syndrome... So dont worry your interest in games will return. I believe thats its perfectly normal for a person to change interests and how you spend you free time. That makes 20$ for this consultation please, il see you next week :P
currentlemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 currentlemon
Member since 2009 • 630 Posts

Take a break, it happens. If you're still not interested try a different genre. Play other games besides shooters and sports games. You might find something you like.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#37 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I think this is something we all go through. I remember in 2009, I ended up doing a heck of a lot more reading than I did gaming. This year, it's been all about gaming.
JoeDawg2100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JoeDawg2100

Thanks everyone for the advice!

ZEYAAM898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 ZEYAAM898
Member since 2009 • 1921 Posts
There are no games on PC, i was just getting bored so i joined the forums. You can do it too until your fav. game is released.
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#40 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Relax about it. We've all gone through gaming slumps, and the best thing to do is just relax. What I often do is pop in a game that I absolutely love, regardless of what other new games I have. Often getting into an old favorite will spark interest in the rest of your gaming life.

cprmauldin

^^ Truer words were never uttered.

Gaming is a hobby. It's meant to give you some relaxing time from life. Try something new until you have the urge to play. I have been learning to draw.

Try a different genre. One that you haven't given much thought to.

Good luck

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I have stretches of time where I won't touch a game either. I usually alternate between my hobbies of music, reading, and gaming. When I don't play games for a couple months I'm usually doing nothing but constantly reading or listening to music.
Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#42 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

JoeDawg2100
Try different types of games. Maybe other genres will help. I get tired of certain games. Or just take a break for a while.
mission76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 mission76
Member since 2007 • 673 Posts

Read through most of the replies and I think I might be the first to say it but...

Could it possibly be that you are growing up and your priorities are changing? Happens to all of us. I estimate I spend 2 hours a week on this site, I bet that's more time then I play video games. I hsve said this in like 10 threads so far butthe less you play video games, the more you realize what a waste of time they were. I enjoyed them, the memories of techmo super bowl leagues with my friends and such but we definitly could have been doing something better weith our time

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

CUDGEdave
I think you're right, I and a couple other people I know feel the same. It seems a lot of people are bored with whats out there.
JoeDawg2100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JoeDawg2100

For me I can't play video games much anymore cuz I don't have family and others on the same play schedule as me. My brother works until midnight usually and games really late then sleeps the day. My 10 year old son of course can't game when my brother is on. My sister's husband works at the same job as my brother and they don't always share the same shift so when my brother and/or son can play games with me my sister's husband can't. Etc etc etc .... you get the picture ... I wanted to play games more with family these past few years but it hasn't happened enough and it was also made harder when my son's mom and my computer both went down. I am in the process of building a new pc but really 2 pcs in the house isn't what I wanted. What I wanted all along was to have 5 or 6 decent pcs in the house so I could have people over and play games and enjoy each other's company. I also need to rent a Ventrilo account or something for gaming but money has been tight lately. It would be nice to have a voice chat people can go into to talk while gaming. I guess Steam has their own free voice setup for gaming and I have used it and it worked fine so I guess there is that option.

Bottom line ..... hoping things change in the future so I can play games with family and friends cuz that is more fun

DeViLzzz

Couldn't agree with you more. There's nothing like gaming with friends and family. Maybe I should just try that, because I'm always gaming by myself. But I really don't have any friends who are into gaming like I am.

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
You are growing up; getting old. Video games don't attract you like they used to. It happens to a lot of us. It's happening to me and to my friends, and I noticed it when it happened to my older brothers as well. It doesn't mean you won't ever like any game again, it simply means that your interests are changing and you need to find something new to stimulate yourself.
Everwhaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Everwhaa
Member since 2011 • 28 Posts
ive been the same way lately .... but it doesnt bother me that i been playing less and less ....I still have the same love for games ^_^
ValHazzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ValHazzard
Member since 2009 • 829 Posts

Same here ... I used to play a lot, but lately I either suck at every game and then give up in 10 minutes cause i don't have the patience or just play Mortal Kombat, Fight Night, Burnout, Dirt 3, Skate 2...casual games, i'll just have a quick fight or a quick race and that's it.

I do hope it comes back to me but at this moment there are no games that attract me.

I was playing Ski Resort Tycoon earlier...that game's 10 years old and simple as hell but for some reason I like it alot better than everything i played lately

LA Noire was shallow and boring, Black Ops was shallow and short, Castlevania LOS was frustrating and boring, Crysis 2 was pretty, shallow and boring...Vanquish was fun though.

I dunno, hopefully I'll get back to business with Skyrim, Assassins Creed Revelations, the next Hitman, Forza 4, Battlefield...i hope

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#50 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Your fingers are broken.