Why can't FPS games (Like CSGO, PUBG) developer get rid of cheating in the game?

cooldownloader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 cooldownloader
Member since 2018 • 11 Posts

As you can see, all the FPS games that are popular now are full of cheaters, even they have cheater shield like Prime (for CSGO) and Battle Pass (for PUBG). But these games are still full of cheaters which will easily reduce the number of new players that are trying to blend into the game

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

@cooldownloader: It's a mix of a community and platform issue. Because P.C. is so open ended in how we can customises the experiences, some take that the next step and it effects the online experiences. Games like Dark Souls III and Monster Hunter World also suffer not just from 'cheaters', but because it tampers with the code to an excessive degree corrupts other peoples save data. And I've witnessed these issued to the level it put me off playing them on the platform. Popular Nexus mod some are abusing on MH:W gives infinite storage items, and if you so much as meet these people in a Gathering Hub it corrupts your data.

I get that it's the P.C.s first real Monster Hunter game but even without the hacks the community is pretty salty and terrible anyhow. So makes sense so many cheat and don't care to ruin other peoples time.

Developers should see to these issues but it's really on the community to not go this way. Quake Champions and War for the Overworld for example I've never had such issues. And the P.C. community is very awesome for both games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58896 Posts

I like that CS:GO cheating is so prolific that even at competitive events, where computers are on camera, with refs right behind them, they still try to do it.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Cheating is just a part of PC culture that you have to accept if you want to participate. I played WoW for years and it was how top guilds progressed, farmers made gold, and honour farmers got their titles.

Occasionally a few get caught, but no where near the amount of people to make a difference.

rosieK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rosieK
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I like that CS:GO cheating is so prolific that even at competitive events, where computers are on camera, with refs right behind them, they still try to do it.

It's so funny that a person even tried to cheat on a LAN event haha. But what about other genres of games, for example, MOBA games, they handle cheaters pretty well, why can't the FPS games developers do the same?

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@RSM-HQ: I heard that mhw has co-op issues anyway. If I bought that game I'd just play sp.

@cooldownloader said:

As you can see, all the FPS games that are popular now are full of cheaters, even they have cheater shield like Prime (for CSGO) and Battle Pass (for PUBG). But these games are still full of cheaters which will easily reduce the number of new players that are trying to blend into the game

Just one of the reasons why I'm not that into mp games. Even if there's no cheating, you still get people taking things too seriously.

For example why can't you (in Killing Floor 2) play as a combat medic. People get so irate if you don't spend the whole time jabbing needles into them!

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ

@thereal25: On P.C. has more issues than I care to fully mention. On console only had connection issues with lobbies at launch week, since then have had an amazing multiplayer experience.

Regardless playing a Monster Hunter exclusively in single player is the same as enjoying a fighting game (Street Fighter for example) solely in Arcade mode. You can get a superficial 'fill' while also missing out why the series is well regarded.

Especially for new Hunters diving in for the first time not knowing what makes the MH series special to begin with. MH is a multiplayer game first and a single player game second (some content is also clearly designed around multiplayer exclusively). Always has, always will. Those that choose to assume SP is the way to go, are willingly choosing the worse experience of these great games. And while it's a choice it's also the one most likely to put Gamers off the franchise

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

I think it's just a matter of constantly struggling. I mean you have millions of people playing these games and out of those few you might have a few hundred or even a few thousand with the basic skills needed to write code for a hack or to exploit something in the game. So they do, and they do it somewhat easily and free of charge, then they release it and people think "Hey, why not?" and try it out.

So the hack goes out into the world and becomes rampant, and some time goes by before the developer catches on.

So the developer becomes aware of it, but they don't know exactly what's going on. So they need to observe the hack in action. This require people from the company (who could and should be working on something else, and are paid) to get in the game and see what it's about. Maybe download the hack themselves. I don't know.

They want to do their due diligence so when they do start banning people, they only ban the guilty ones, so they take their time. This makes it seem like the hacking is really bad, when really it might be but hey at least they are working on it.

So then the devs release a fix or they identify the problem and anti-cheat programs (that cost money) start banning people.

And then a week later a new hack comes out...

Idunno I am not in the industry, but between what I've read and what I suspect happens, I don't think it's overstating it to say that the developers are generally outmatched, if not by skill then by numbers and repetition, by hackers.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thereal25

@RSM-HQ:Come to think of it you're really making a strong point for consoles (playstation) because hacking afaik is almost impossible through consoles - if not more rare than pc.

I guess I've just been trying to mp game on pc - and it's just miserable. As a perfectionist it drives me nuts how so many people use cheats and somehow think that's okay and not ruining the game for everyone.

(Nice gifs :))

@mrbojangles25 Yep, on pc esp. it's just a game of constant catch-up. Too hard to stop.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RSM-HQ

@thereal25: Thing is I still love some P.C. multiplayer games but it's all based on community, suppose consoles have a different kind of annoyance known for Call of Duty and Soccer games.

Monster Hunter however has been around for a long time and because it has been a console and portable experience, for that time a very wholesome community centres around it. Many who have played the series since Portable 2nd G or even Tri know majority of players met online are helpful and just having fun. And as this was the P.C.s first MH it's simply invited a different crowd. In the short time I played the Steam version of MH: World online it was the worst multiplayer experience I've had in the series. And all I did was answer S.O.S and help people with temps because I know new players struggle with the jump in difficulty.

I do love me Monster Hunter

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thereal25

@RSM-HQ said:

@thereal25: Thing is I still love some P.C. multiplayer games but it's all based on community, suppose consoles have a different kind of annoyance known for Call of Duty and Soccer games.

Monster Hunter however has been around for a long time and because it has been a console and portable experience, for that time a very wholesome community centres around it. Many who have played the series since Portable 2nd G or even Tri know majority of players met online are helpful and just having fun. And as this was the P.C.s first MH it's simply invited a different crowd. In the short time I played the Steam version of MH: World online it was the worst multiplayer experience I've had in the series. And all I did was answer S.O.S and help people with temps because I know new players struggle with the jump in difficulty.

I do love me Monster Hunter

Oh, I thought it was a new game. I like the character models and graphics!

consoles have a different kind of annoyance known for Call of Duty and Soccer games.

Oh, I can imagine but luckily I've always had a distaste for those type of try-hard games.

Anyway, I might get a ps5 one of these days; hopefully it'll be backwards compatible.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

fixing hacks is always a reactionary position. There's no state of code that can't be hacked, hackers have all day to figure it out and all the incentive in the world. It's a bit like playing corner back in the NFL with no pass rush - given enough time the qb is going to find an open receiver.

Hacking program subs can go for 100s of dollars a month depending on the game's popularity and people are all too willing to buy them. There's too much incentive to write new hacks when old ones are fixed. It's not just about winning - sometimes it's about being able to use content without paying for it, inject your own visual content to spice up your stream(as we've seen with player-made skins in Fortnite), and to boost your viewers on Twitch, the latter being huge money for the user of the hack. There was one youtuber awhile back that openly ran hacks on his stream until Epic sued him, and he got millions of views for it. Most people aren't that brazen about using them openly while streaming, but this guy was and he got far from a negative reaction from the game community for doing it.

FPS get more attention from hackers because they have larger audiences (particularly on the pro and twitch scenes) and therefore larger customer pools.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RSM-HQ
@thereal25 said:

consoles have a different kind of annoyance known for Call of Duty and Soccer games.

Oh, I can imagine but luckily I've always had a distaste for those type of try-hard games.

Me also, I've just read the horror stories about how toxic the communities can be lol.

Oh, I thought it was a new game. I like the character models and graphics!

Technically Monster Hunter World is 'new'. But the IP has been around since the PS2, hit popularity with the PSP, and the 3DS games are considered extremely well made games. Worlds original name was Monster Hunter 5, but counting the other editions World is actually the seventeenth game in the mainline series.

Monster Hunter also for the longest time has a very passionate and helpful community. Is why it's so sad to see the opposite with the P.C. port of the game. They've taken a very ragequit/ hack/ "git-gud" attitude to the new game on P.C. which is personally very sad all considering.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

I think this problem is being overstated but my experience is limited. I only know hackers broke dayZ mod completely. At one point. At this point I believe it to be more free from hackers than the official game.

It's a matter of skillful programming. I don't think Capcom don't have much online PC experience. Being an open platform. The PC MS Windows ecosystem and server ecosystems or Linux or MS-BSD servers or something are vulnerable. Unless you have alot of knowledge in that area of software.

DayZ mod still has active participation of a community that are extremely literate in this are of software, in servers and network code and so have managed (I think) to achieve a more stable experience than Bohemia Interactive.

I think it is an arm's race. But companies such as Epic are not allowing for the reality of the world if they don't account for the possibility of intrusions into their code. When hacks do occur, it should not be a surprise to them and I would consider this a fault with their program code.

With proper protection, even Valve should be able to eradicate cheating, even if it means rewriting your program.

These are only bedroom hackers and if your game is being regularly hacked you have failed to properly manage you’re online game and it will suffer as a result.

I don’t think hacking is inevitable though. Just routine because challenging it takes more investment that is currently being allocated.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Because every line of code you write can be circumvented with another line of code.

virginarno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By virginarno
Member since 2021 • 1 Posts

Is this available? Dude, this was a lot of time ago... So, if to help you, I can say that it took me about 2 years to do from start to finish. I could definitely see how lots of those trophies would save massive amounts of time with boosting. I have played CSGO for six years, it's a crazzy game, but I found some more interesting facts. Since skins became a trendy part of the game, players, the community have found fascinating ways to sell, gamble, giveaway, and trade CSGO skins. Now, I'm using csgo skin trade and and I think that this is the best