Why are we paying $110+?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PropaneMilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PropaneMilo
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Why on earth do games cost so much in Australia? Most new games are $100-$120, on most platforms. Eye of Judgement is about $160!

Currently 1USD = 1.13AUD, which is about as close as they have been to equal in a LONG time.

Eye of Judgement in the United States is $69.99, which converts to $78.83 Australian. WHY ARE WE PAYING 81 DOLLARS EXTRA?! It's disgusting and is unnecessary. Why are games so expensive? How can we get them lowered to something reasonable? Something I won't feel bad paying.

This is infuriating >: (

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#2 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

What are you taxes there? Maybe thats a contributing factor is the cost of shipping the games to your country. Or maybe they have to edit the games like they do with the GTA series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts
Write a letter to your Government.
PropaneMilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PropaneMilo

What are you taxes there? Maybe thats a contributing factor is the cost of shipping the games to your country. Or maybe they have to edit the games like they do with the GTA series.Wilfred_Owen
10% GST (Goods and Services), GST is included in all prices (by law.)

Write a letter to your Government.syztem
I'm thinking of doing that but I'm not sure who to direct it to or how to word it or even how to address the problem, I want to know WHY games cost so damn much, first.

Same in the middle east, the Halo 3 legendary edition cost over $200, i was like F***! i hate when they do that, i think they do it because of shipping, or they just think forenors are rich.mosa922
Wow ouch, that's heavy. I don't think they assume we're rich because frankly, that's a silly assumption. It's ridiculous.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
Taxes + shipping cost
PropaneMilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PropaneMilo

Taxes + shipping costBenderUnit22
No way do taxes and shipping cost 81 dollars. They ship in bulk so for each individual box, shipping would be at an extreme $10, tops. 10% of $160 is about $16. That's $26 shipping and taxes.

There's still $55 unaccounted for, is that all going to the retail store?

QuattroRS6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 QuattroRS6
Member since 2004 • 160 Posts

Hrm i wonder what it would cost me to buy a game and ship an individual unit to a person in Aus or EU or somewhere else. This soulds more like you guys getting fckued for then anything. I wonder where the money goes would be interesting to know. Hrm maybe some sort of stupid import tax?

QuattroRS6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 QuattroRS6

Ok i dont understand wtf but i just used the ups site to estimate cost to ship a object of 60usd value to Sydney, Australia. The ups website estimated the cost as being anywhere from 209 to 259 USD to ship. God this sucks for you guys big time :(.

Edit: That was shipping from the East coast of USA to Sydney btw.

PropaneMilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PropaneMilo
Hrm i wonder what it would cost me to buy a game and ship an individual unit to a person in Aus or EU or somewhere else. This soulds more like you guys getting fckued for then anything. I wonder where the money goes would be interesting to know. Hrm maybe some sort of stupid import tax?QuattroRS6
Could be ain import tax, but an import tax THAT high... I doubt it. And you can't send games to your oferseas friends due to the wonderful use of Regionalisation. U.S. Wii games won't work on Wiis sold in Australia/other places.
QuattroRS6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 QuattroRS6
Oh i know the region garbage was just wondering about it from a cost thing what the game would cost me plus shipping and tax stuff.
hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hair001
Member since 2005 • 1202 Posts
Sales tax isn't included in the US prices (kind of silly, but whatever) so that accounts for some of the difference. Maybee business taxes are higher in aus? I don't think that those 2 would even make half of the difference though
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts

Here is your reason for why games cost so much more.....

Just Americas way of saying thanks for this guy and all the "movies" he has made !

Starwars_Rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Starwars_Rules
Member since 2005 • 111 Posts
Shipping and taxes cant be the cause because I live in Canada and the Canadian dollar in 1.02 American and we are paying higher prices for games as well. In the USA for example in walmart for Heavenly Sword it is $59.82 but in Canada it is $69.82. So I don't get it even though our dollar is higher.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
PS3 games are region free, so why not import it?
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#16 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
It could be a number of things. Taxes, exchange rate (this country's dollar vs this country's), shipping.....moms not wanting to help pay for the games.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Regardless of logical reasoning all I have to say is that it is a pain and should be changed god damn it!
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

It's basically because you don't have a large population of gamers so the costs are higher for the gamers there. The higher the population of gamers the cheaper the games.

Basically to release a game in a new country like Australia you'd be paying all the same fees you would to release a game anywhere. You'll need a regional coordinator, and a publishing team to make sure the units are shipped correctly, and that the right stores buy the game, you'll need a team of lawyers making sure the game is legal for sales in the region, and that you aren't bypassing any tariffs, or censorship/copyright laws. Finally on top of that you're paying for shipping also.

PropaneMilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PropaneMilo

It could be a number of things. Taxes, exchange rate (this country's dollar vs this country's), shipping.....moms not wanting to help pay for the games. BranKetra
I covered that in my first post, the USD and AUD are almost equal.

It's basically because you don't have a large population of gamers so the costs are higher for the gamers there. The higher the population of gamers the cheaper the games.

Basically to release a game in a new country like Australia you'd be paying all the same fees you would to release a game anywhere. You'll need a regional coordinator, and a publishing team to make sure the units are shipped correctly, and that the right stores buy the game, you'll need a team of lawyers making sure the game is legal for sales in the region, and that you aren't bypassing any tariffs, or censorship/copyright laws. Finally on top of that you're paying for shipping also.jrhawk42

A NEW Country like Australia?! What the hell is wrong with you? Go look up some dates on Wikipedia or something.

All those costs wouldn't DOUBLE the cost of a game. The only difference is the shipping and taxes, they don't double prices.

If games cost less, MORE PEOPLE WOULD BUY THEM!

Jedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#20 Jedo
Member since 2003 • 1094 Posts

Moscow - Russia - Gorbushka market - pretty much every PC game - $10 :P and yes licensed. Theyu probably have even better prices in China. Go on vacation some day and take one day to go shopping. :)

PS3 and Xbox360 games have the same price as in Europe for some reason.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
Firstly I don't know where you shop mate, but I've never seen a Standard-Edition game in Aus over $100. Most games are around $70-$90 depending where you go.

Basically to release a game in a new country like Australia you'd be paying all the same fees you would to release a game anywhere. You'll need a regional coordinator, and a publishing team to make sure the units are shipped correctly, and that the right stores buy the game, you'll need a team of lawyers making sure the game is legal for sales in the region, and that you aren't bypassing any tariffs, or censorship/copyright laws. Finally on top of that you're paying for shipping also.

jrhawk42
Population is exactly the reason. We only have a population of around 20.5 million. Meanwhile New York state alone has a pop. of over 18 Million. Australia just isn't lucrative enough for games. On the flip-side however, we do have skilled developers, it's just a pity our government doesn't support them like in other countries >__> Ironic isn't it... Lucky country my ass...-___-"
Sr_Mateus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sr_Mateus
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts
Well, here in Brazil he have a very similar situation with console games. Games cost usually the double in USD with the exception of PC games that are released here which are about the same price. In the first case, the biggest problem are the taxes, we have a 60 percent import tax (which is not always charged because of a sampling method), plus shipping, plus retailers margin of profit. I usually import games directly from US stores like CD Universe, So I pay . It may be expensive but I'm used to buying about 10 games a year so, even If could afford more, I wouldn't have time to play them.