Why are some parents so against gaming?

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XxSnake015xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By XxSnake015xX
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

@@@In all honesty I can understand why parents don't like gaming but I don't get why they disapprove of it so much. I'm a gamer myself, I love to play video games if its by myself, with my friends, or online with new people and sometimes I know I play my games too much but it doesn't mean that I'll die from it. Before my parents divorced I played video games with my dad, my grandfather, and sometimes with my little sister and my parents were fine with it and if my grades started slipping then they would tell me that I had to do my homework and show them before I even looked at the controller. But then my mom met my step dad and my dad met my step mom and oddly both of my step parents didn't like gaming as much as I did but they had different views and rules on gaming.

My step mom had no problem with us (me, my little sister, my step brother, and my little brother) playing the game but if there were things that needed to be done such as chores, or if one of us had bad grades then either no one would be able to play until everyone was done with their chores or that person couldn't play unless they brought some type of homework home with and showed her or my dad when we were done and then we were free to play until bed time. But my step dad, though he is a gamer himself, gets frustrated whenever I'm in my room playing my Xbox even if I did everything I needed to do. Every chance he got he would always tell me to turn my game off and he would also blame every mistake I might have made while doing chores (e.g. if I had forgot to wash a dirty dish or if I was sweeping and mopping the floor and I had missed a spot) or if I had a bit of miscommunication on directions for something he had asked me to do. I have ADHD but I've never disobeyed him or my mom but for some reason he always thought I was trying to rush to play my game. He plays NBA 2K games on his PS3 but he has spent about $200 (or had my mom spend a chunk of it using her money because he didn't have a job until we moved the third time) on controllers because he rages and yells at the game and he eventually breaks them. He's even thrown one at the flat screen tv that used to be in the living room which now has a strange neon green crack in the lower right hand corner of the screen. But anyway with me he's gotten to the point where he told me that I would be nothing in life and that he's done trying to help me. But to this day I still proudly play video games and I work my butt off in school everyday and I'm in high school.

I know there are a lot of parents that don't like video games for many reasons but I'm going to give you two reasons why you should consider gaming. One, if your child likes to play violent video games ask yourself, would you want him/her out in the real world doing all of that or would you want them to keep it in the game? Because personally I would feel more comfortable seeing my child/children shooting people in video games than seeing them shooting someone in real life. You should be think more about the positive things that video games have done for you like helping you avoid seeing your son/daughter on death row for murder. And two, think about what your child can experience through gaming. Video games are basically a virtual reality, children can see outcomes of their actions in many different ways such as GTA 5 (though I would not recommend it for anyone under the age of 15 or someone who is younger but is very immature). GTA 5 may be ridiculed for its content because there may be blood, guns, events where someone is killed sadistically, and a lot of sexual content but no one is immune in this game. If you shoot someone walking down the street either someone else will shoot back at you or the police will be trying to hunt you down and (most likely) they will kill you. And you don't have infinite amounts of money, I mean sure you can go to a strip club and get private dances as much as you like but if you blow all of your money on a stripper then what happens when your car needs to get fixed or all of your guns run out of ammo? This can teach players to be more conservative of their cash because honestly the only things that aren't over priced in the game are the guns and even ammo for a pistol is expensive, not to mention that you don't start off rich either you just fly to Los Santos with whatever money your character had earned before. And getting money (although it involves doing illegal things) requires hard work, I mean you can go and rob a gas station or assassinate a target but then you still have to deal with the cops, that persons security, or even both if you're unlucky, and there is still the problem of completing the first objectives because the jobs with the most payout have the highest difficulty. This also allows players to work together with other people to get the job done because you can't do everything on your own and we all know how this world has changed everyone has a gun. If you try to rob a gas station when its already been robbed the cashier will pull out a shotgun and attempt to kill you if you and he might if you don't act fast. But this could show a mature gamer or sometimes even an immature gamer that there is always competition and there is also always something that no matter how good you are you will still need help from others.

Sorry for the long explanation I really wanted to get my point across.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@xxsnake015xx: Please do not bump old threads, check the date of the last post before commenting. As per the Games Discussion Board Rules & FAQs

Posting in Old Topics/"Necro-ing"

• "Necro-ing" or posting in old topics is discouraged.
  • Be sure to check the date of the last post before you reply.
  • Topics that have not been posted in for a couple months or more, aside from stickied threads, will be locked.