Why are people complaining about Assassin's Creed III's ending? (spoilers)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Minishdriveby (10520 posts) -

I've seen a couple topics on the site about how AC III's ending is up there with ME3 for worse endings. I don't understand that statement. The ending wasn't bad in anyway. Sure it ended in a cliff hanger, but every game does nowadays, and it managed to wrap up Demond's story.

Why do people think it was disatorous?

#2 Posted by fend_oblivion (6729 posts) -
[spoiler] Either it's the alien twist or because Desmond dies. [/spoiler]
#3 Posted by Minishdriveby (10520 posts) -
[spoiler] Either it's the alien twist or because Desmond dies. [/spoiler] fend_oblivion
[spoiler] There were no Aliens... [/spoiler]
#4 Posted by fend_oblivion (6729 posts) -
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] [spoiler] Aren't the First Civilization folks aliens? [/spoiler]
#5 Posted by Minishdriveby (10520 posts) -

No, it's just stated that they were the first civilization on Earth. Nothing of space travel has been said. Also They've been in the game since Assassin's Creed II, so their presence in Assassin's Creed III isn't really a twist...

Avatar image for ShadowNemisis21
#6 Posted by ShadowNemisis21 (144 posts) -

People are annoyed because this was supposed to be a proper ending.Instead it just makes the way for another AC game.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#7 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Because the ending is abrupt and looney. It's like the ME3 ending except desmond makes the choice for you, even if that's not what you want. It's very anti climactic and sudden. Also it paves the way for more and it doesn't really end things properly.

#8 Posted by Minishdriveby (10520 posts) -

It ends things for Desmond though which is all they said it would do. Of course it paves the way for more. Nothing Ubisoft said indicated that there would only be the 5 games.

I think people were being unrealistic and thinking this was the end of the series. It ended the story of Desmond and the world was saved from exploding which is what the present arc was always about; however, to continue the series which of course they were going to do, they need a new antagonist.

#9 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

It ends things for Desmond though which is all they said it would do. Of course it paves the way for more. Nothing Ubisoft said indicated that there would only be the 5 games. I think people were being unrealistic and thinking this was the end of the series.Minishdriveby

Maybe, but in the end it is just very poorly written. It's just a bad ending in general, it all happens too fast, a lot of stuff is thrown at you (turns out it was too late to save everyone anyway so why even have Desmond do all this stuff) it makes the whole journey pointless cos they could have avoided so much and just told him "Hey come here and touch this", if it was too late to save anyone already then why make it seem like there was hope.

The writing is just bad and dull. It's uninspired.

#10 Posted by Minishdriveby (10520 posts) -

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]It ends things for Desmond though which is all they said it would do. Of course it paves the way for more. Nothing Ubisoft said indicated that there would only be the 5 games. I think people were being unrealistic and thinking this was the end of the series.seanmcloughlin

Maybe, but in the end it is just very poorly written. It's just a bad ending in general, it all happens too fast, a lot of stuff is thrown at you (turns out it was too late to save everyone anyway so why even have Desmond do all this stuff) it makes the whole journey pointless cos they could have avoided so much and just told him "Hey come here and touch this", if it was too late to save anyone already then why make it seem like there was hope.

He did save everyone from the sun burst though... And no if Juno had just told him, "Come here and touch this." Desmond wouldn't have because it was a trap. The only reason he touched the sphere was because there was no time left. Juno manipulated him and made sure he didn't get all the information until the last second.

#11 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]It ends things for Desmond though which is all they said it would do. Of course it paves the way for more. Nothing Ubisoft said indicated that there would only be the 5 games. I think people were being unrealistic and thinking this was the end of the series.Minishdriveby

He did save everyone from the sun burst though... And no if Juno had just told him, "Come here and touch this." Desmond wouldn't have because it was a trap. The only reason he touched the sphere was because there was no time left. Juno manipulated him and made sure he didn't get all the information until the last second.

Just feels like poor writing to me, and lots of others felt similarly. An end to a character should be big, or have some twists and big reveals. All the Desmond stuff felt very dull and like they just wanted to finish him and get it over with.

#12 Posted by CooperThief (648 posts) -

Well, if it is the final game, then there was no explanation on how the conflict between the Assassins/Templars would've played out.

I also thought that it was a little weird that nobody with Desmond really said goodbye. He just told them to go, and....they left.