Why are Movie-based games and Game-based movies horrible?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 AznKSor
Member since 2010 • 1400 Posts

As i recently like watching movies,i get a little excited about a game coming out.For example the Transformer Games(Not WFC),Ironman,HarryPotter,Streetfighter,Mortal Kombat,etc.But why is it that some of these games suck so bad.They mostly get bad reviews from PTOM and OXBM.Same thing for Movie-Based games.Street fighter the movie was horrible in many ways i couldnt stop getting pissed off.Dragon Ball Z was a horrible movie also.Story was mest up and so was the characters.

But there are some games out there that i enjoy, Transformer,Mortal Kombat,and even Ironman :D

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

Because it all comes down to money, that's just the way the world is.

luke_717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 luke_717
Member since 2006 • 126 Posts

They want more $$ on the $$ Mountain.

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

Movie based games are horrible because they are on a tight schedule, and must follow the movies plot.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#6 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Because they are constrained by design from the source material and not building towards the strengths of a videogame or movie from ground up. Though LEGO seems to work wonders and its also a cash-in riding on the success of a Movie or vice versa.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

First, movie are conflict base like man vr. self, man vr. man and so on. Game are problem solving base like dealing with a group of enemies, how to get to a location and so on. That is not easy to translate from one base to the others.

Then this is a different in lentgh. A movie is 2 hours normally and game has play times over eight hour they need to pick and choose what to add and remove.

Also those that make the movies may not be a huge fan if the game.

And to top that is that some people have a fetish that more real is better.

sboyer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sboyer2
Member since 2010 • 941 Posts

First, movie are conflict base like man vr. self, man vr. man and so on. Game are problem solving base like dealing with a group of enemies, how to get to a location and so on. That is not easy to translate from one base to the others.wiouds

Sorry but this is flat out wrong.

Video games to movies sucks because video games never have really good plots, characters, stories anyways...so when it translates to the movie unless they change it up a lot it's not gonna be good. The story is good for a video game...but a movie is a completely different level

Movies to video games sucks because they rush them and need to follow the movie formula which limits how good they can make it

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

First, movie are conflict base like man vr. self, man vr. man and so on. Game are problem solving base like dealing with a group of enemies, how to get to a location and so on. That is not easy to translate from one base to the others.sboyer2

Sorry but this is flat out wrong.

Video games to movies sucks because video games never have really good plots, characters, stories anyways...so when it translates to the movie unless they change it up a lot it's not gonna be good. The story is good for a video game...but a movie is a completely different level

Movies to video games sucks because they rush them and need to follow the movie formula which limits how good they can make it

There are character and plots in games that are just as good as those in movies.

TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

Simple. The devs know that the game will sell no matter what,so they put very little effort into making it.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

u make an 8 hour game out of a 90minute plot line in 9months and make it look good and fun.....conversely.....make a 90-120minute movie out of 8 hours (average)-24+(in the case of of pop) of story line and plot.....and make it make sense and enjoyable.....in 3 years......good luck.....

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wiouds

Also from game/show to movie they are trying to get more to watch the movie.THe normally seam to be make the story real.

Timmeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Timmeus
Member since 2007 • 1136 Posts

Movie based games are usually only produced to milk the popularity of the movie and they tend to have a very short development time.

Game based movies are pretty much all bad and one reason I think is because your taking away the main aspect of the game, what makes it a game and what makes it fun; the interactivity. Even if the story is great, the plot and characters and everything, it's the fact that you are interacting with that story, even if it's very linear, that makes you enjoy that story and the game.

I think the main reason though is because most game-movies have been based off games with little or no story, or very obscurer stories, like fighting games. They also tend to have terrible directors, terrible actors and I think tend to be aimed at younger audiences because thats probably who the people with the money think video games are for.

Edit: Also Dragon Ball Z was a cartoon/anime(?) and I think a comic before that, before it was a game.

slycooper713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 slycooper713
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
movie based games are awful because they have to get pumped out fast after the release of the movie and they are forced into the same story as the movie
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
A big reason I think game-based movies are bad is because many of them haven't had top-notch talent involved with making them. Another reason is one that we might not care to admit, and that is the source material isn't that strong.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wiouds

There are some game base movie that I like. The Resident evil made by campcom is better than most. The Dead Space movie that is set before the game is good. Final Fantasy 7 advent children is good.

What these have in common is that they are set in the world but does not retell the game.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Video games to movies sucks because video games never have really good plots, characters, stories anyways...sboyer2
I would have to strongly disagree with that.
rangegear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 rangegear
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

movie based games are awful because they have to get pumped out fast after the release of the movie and they are forced into the same story as the movie slycooper713
That is untrue in so...so...so many ways.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

Because the game's story is generic, it's the least impotant part. You can tell they didn't put too much time into it. The game is about the game, not the story. Movies are made just to cash in on the popularity of the game.Since the largest portion of the audience is kids they try to make it look hip or cool or badass, that's why they always turn out silly or cheezy. Just beats with people running around shooting guns,doing flips and breifly stopping to say something stupid.

As for movies made into games... they're trying to take something and turn it into a game so they can sell it.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#20 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Because the vast majority of them are inexpensively produced tie-ins - no one ever spent more money to make the games better because the figure they'll sell well enough on name alone. And in many cases it works.
Ensamheten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ensamheten
Member since 2010 • 392 Posts

Because the game's story is generic, it's the least important part. You can tell they didn't put too much time into it. The game is about the game, not the story.MagnumPI

Says the with the CoD:MW2 avatar. You should not judge something you haven't tried (including illegal drugs.)

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

[QUOTE="MagnumPI"]

Because the game's story is generic, it's the least important part. You can tell they didn't put too much time into it. The game is about the game, not the story.Ensamheten

Says the with the CoD:MW2 avatar. You should not judge something you haven't tried (including illegal drugs.)

Isn't that a FEAR avatar?

SirRiffAlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SirRiffAlot
Member since 2008 • 256 Posts

There are many reasons why they're terrible. For game based movies, the story of the game itself gets lost in translation due to the producer and director. The choice of game to base a movie off of is also pretty terrible. (Street Fighter? It's a fighting game, why make a movie out of that?)

Movie based games usually flop because they are rushed to match the release date of the movie. Also, if the movie is good, they'll more than likely try to throw in random areas that were never in the movie to begin with to "enhance" the experience! I personally can't stand them because I've already seen the movie, there shouldn't be a reason for me to play through a 4 hour romp of what I already saw.